My dumbest insecurity about PT school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blackmamba1999

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm applying to PT school this summer, and I'm insecure about all the things most people are insecure about: GPA, EC's, GRE etc. However, there is one insecurity that seems to be on my mind more than the rest, although it's kinda dumb.

I have a rare skin disease called keloid disorder, meaning I have a good amount gross looking keloids on my shoulders and back. It's not as bad as some of the images you can find on google images, however it's still pretty bad. I hear in physical therapy school you'll have to be in class without your shirt and stuff, and that's honestly something I greatly fear, as not many people know of my disorder outside of few close friends and parents.

I'm really just wondering if it's true that you'll have to be without your shirt for alot of the classes in PT school, and if it would be possible for me to refuse to take off my shirt etc.

I know this sounds kinda dumb, but it's genuinely an insecurity of mine.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I think you'll be surprised by the number of positive reactions you'll receive. Most people, especially those in the health field, find conditions like yours very interesting. But, if it truly bothers you I'm sure the teachers would be very sympathetic.

Reactions: 1 users
So I'm applying to PT school this summer, and I'm insecure about all the things most people are insecure about: GPA, EC's, GRE etc. However, there is one insecurity that seems to be on my mind more than the rest, although it's kinda dumb.

I have a rare skin disease called keloid disorder, meaning I have a good amount gross looking keloids on my shoulders and back. It's not as bad as some of the images you can find on google images, however it's still pretty bad. I hear in physical therapy school you'll have to be in class without your shirt and stuff, and that's honestly something I greatly fear, as not many people know of my disorder outside of few close friends and parents.

I'm really just wondering if it's true that you'll have to be without your shirt for alot of the classes in PT school, and if it would be possible for me to refuse to take off my shirt etc.

Thanks.

You'll be fine. We had multiple students teach students about their scoliosis, autoimmune disorders, and other systemic medical pathologies. If they didn't feel comfortable about a condition, then they just wouldn't mention it. None of the other students seemed to even question/care.

Members don't see this ad :)
To answer your question. Yes there is a lot of time without a shirt in PT school.

But I agree with the others, there has been some teaching with a scoliosis or someone who is positive for a special test but there is certainly no judgement or anything like that. If you want to be a PT don't let that hold you back, you'll wear a shirt every time at work!

I had the same concern going into lab. I have a mild form of congenital hyperkyphosis, so I'm not too fond of removing my shirt in front of others. Before starting lab, my professor lectured us about how everyone has insecurities about their bodies, so no form of "body shaming" would be tolerated. Put my mind at ease after he addressed this, and I was able to confidently participate in lab activities.

Reactions: 1 user
To answer your question. Yes there is a lot of time without a shirt in PT school.

But I agree with the others, there has been some teaching with a scoliosis or someone who is positive for a special test but there is certainly no judgement or anything like that. If you want to be a PT don't let that hold you back, you'll wear a shirt every time at work!

What sort of lab is this where shirts off is required? Just curious.

Last edited:

Thanks.

In my class, some men wear a t shirt, others a tank top, others go shirtless.
The profs say that anyone who prefers to be draped can be for palpation.

I have a lot more adipose tissue than most of my classmates but I don't see it as a drawback. I add diversity to the bodies we have in the room! People should value being able to palpate a variety of body types. If they can't they shouldn't be in PT school in the first place.

What sort of lab is this where shirts off is required? Just curious.
Massage class, most things involving upper body palpitations, cardiopulm to listen to breath sounds/landmarks, modalities classes if you had to get to areas covered by one. Girls typically wore sports bras for these labs. Some you could wear a tank top but if it was something like spine palpations, you can't do that through your partners shirt.

In my class, some men wear a t shirt, others a tank top, others go shirtless.
The profs say that anyone who prefers to be draped can be for palpation.

I have a lot more adipose tissue than most of my classmates but I don't see it as a drawback. I add diversity to the bodies we have in the room! People should value being able to palpate a variety of body types. If they can't they shouldn't be in PT school in the first place.

Completely agree with the diversity comment. Most of my class is fit young people, most of our patients will not be.

My Anatomy lab professor requires all guys to take off their shirts. We'll be able to keep shirts on later in the program, but he thinks we'll learn palpations best with direct skin contact. Think it really depends on the program, though.

Thanks.

Hello,

I wanted to say that I also have a condition that has my chest and back covered with several keloids. I thought it was embarrassing at first until I realized how common it is for people of my descent. I believe that people in school are more acceptable because we will see several disorders that we do not have experience with. It's our professionalism that will help each other becoming accommodating and understanding. From personal experience, if you are nervous of taking your shirt off or so, I would try slowly exposing yourself to a new setting. I used to be nervous of what people would say until I exposed my arms and noticed that it didn't get as big a reaction as I would have believed. Eventually I became comfortable with taking my shirt off at pools. Although some people still ask what they are, I just tell them that its a genetic disorder that causes odd scarring around my body. No one has really commented or thought it was weird since. End of story, its best to be comfortable in your own skin. It'll be such a relief once you find out people are not too judgmental about it. =)