My DAT(AA)=24, GPA=3.8, which school to apply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

charles4sap

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dear fellows:
I am a senior in a state university. I want to apply for the dental school at
Harvard;
Upenn;
North Carolina;
U of Florida.

Could you please tell how to make sure I can get in U of Florida?
My DAT(AA)=24, GPA=3.83.

Thanks a lot.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
There's no sure fire way to get into UF. If you are a Florida resident you stand a very good chance. If you are not even with your good stats you face an uphill battle. UF is extremely OOS unfriendly. Those that get in from OOS usually have strong ties to Florida or used to live there. Your GPA is on the lower end for Harvard but if you've done research you'll probably get an interview from there. As far as UPENN it really depends on your EC, but you definitely have he stats. I'm pretty sure you'd get an interview at UNC. Just apply asap and rock the interview and you'll have a great shot. I would also recommend adding a few more school. Perhaps Columbia, VCU, and UCONN, all great schools and relatively OOS friendly. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Stats are great but remember the interviews; how you present yourself, communicate, etc are equally as important.

In my interviews I came across some people with great stats but it was like talking to a brick wall. Socially awkward to say the least. Rock your interviews and you have a very good shot at all those schools

Reactions: 1 user
Good stats, but nothing is guaranteed

Time to roll the dice.

some schools i would recommend applying to other than your current list are UAB, Stony Brook, Texas A&M, UTHouston, UTSan Antonio, UCLA, Michigan

some schools i would recommend applying to other than your current list are UAB, Stony Brook, Texas A&M, UTHouston, UTSan Antonio, UCLA, Michigan
texas schools assuming he's from texas. otherwise, they are extremely OOS unfriendly, no matter the stats

Stats are great but remember the interviews; how you present yourself, communicate, etc are equally as important.

In my interviews I came across some people with great stats but it was like talking to a brick wall. Socially awkward to say the least. Rock your interviews and you have a very good shot at all those schools
100% agree with this ^. I carry a 3.82 and a 23AA but i still try to stay humble and remember they are just numbers after all, i need to get interviews for them to mean anything.

same goes for anyone.

Your stats are fine to get in anywhere. The X factor now is with shadowing hours, LOR, and personal statements, and the timing of your application.

Public universities favor in state applicants but you definitely have the numbers. Reach for the sky man.

Dear fellows:
I appreciate all help from you.

When I am filling the application forms from ivy league schools, I am asked if I am willing to
enter their Ph.D. programs.

1) If I say YES, whether I will have a better chance to get in those schools?
2) Once I enter their Ph.D. program, may I change my mind?
And if so, any penalty?

I like to have a Ph.D. but not sure if I can stay in school for that long.

This is my first time to apply, Thanks for your kindness.

1) probably not. most schools treat applicants the same. I think students applying to Phd are usually especially strong in GPA/DAT/ECs, which you clearly are

2) depends on the school. A phd is a few extra years of work so probably not the best route for you, or a lot of people. It is really for people who are into research, not just cause they like the idea of having a phd.

Last edited:
Dear fellows:
Could you please share the experience and lesson you got or you hear about interviews?

Thanks.

You should be good for Penn. lemme know if you have any questions about the interview, etc.