MD My Chances, to apply or not

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

heron226

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm struggling a bit with whether or not to submit an (albeit, slightly late) application this cycle, or wait until next year.

Background is: GPA 3.79, sGPA probably around 3.6, MCAT 513, leadership in undergrad medical brigade, worked in research for 2.5 years (nothing published), graduated summa cum laude in Molecular Biology from CU Boulder in 2014. After graduation family circumstances drove me off course a bit; built a brewery from dirt up doing all the construction just me and my father. Then ran and worked at said brewery til last summer, when I became a phlembotomist for five months before deciding I needed to take the MCAT. Took the MCAT and worked on app, but haven't yet submitted the primary app. A recent meeting with a pre-med advisor shed some light on weaknesses I have, which would be: haven't taken a class in a while, and my post grad work is "not clinical" enough. Now I am really questioning if I was just being a bit naive in thinking I could submit a month after applications opening, with things like letters of rec being a bit rushed. Just wondering what others thoughts are? The school I'd like to attend would be CU SOM, as I am a resident and really like the feel of the school.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I have about 60 shadowing hours, and no volunteering hours here, just the phlebotomy clinical work.

Members don't see this ad :)
You are better off to wait until next year. Add more clinical hours with patient contact and non clinical volunteering. I suggest these schools with your stats:
Colorado
Creighton
St. Louis
Rosalind Franklin
Medical College Wisconsin
Tulane
Oakland Beaumont
Vermont
Quinnipiac
New York Medical College
Hofstra
Drexel