MV Prolapse and Murmur

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chromuffin

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm curious.. why would the murmur for mitral valve prolapse be softer with squatting? Pathoma says it increases systemic resistance and decreases left ventricular emptying, which I agree, but wouldn't that just require an increased LV systolic pressure, making the murmur louder over time? Or should I think of it in the sense that the heart just doesn't work to increase the pressure?

Members don't see this ad.

More blood in ventricles = walls of ventricles farther from each other = leaflets of valves don't prolapse much

Reactions: 1 user
the Online Med Ed explanation in their video on valvular disorders is pretty good. Just remember that the 2 major murmurs that get softer with valsalva (decreasing preload) are HOCM (some just say HCM) and MVP.

the Online Med Ed explanation in their video on valvular disorders is pretty good. Just remember that the 2 major murmurs that get softer with valsalva (decreasing preload) are HOCM (some just say HCM) and MVP.

Indeed; my knowledge of this is straight from OME. The man is incredible.

Reactions: 1 user