MUSC masters medical sciences

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Emdixon

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone applied to the masters of science in medical sciences program at MUSC? If so, have you heard back from them and what is your GPA and MCAT score?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

I was hoping someone would have responded to your question. I am applying to the MMS program at MUSC this December. I would love to know the same information. Did you apply for the current cycle?

Hello!

I was accepted into the MMS program for the current year, classes just started this past week (May 27th).

I graduated from the College of Charleston in May of 2013, BA in Biology, 2.88 cGPA.

After graduating, I retook a couple classes I made Cs in my senior year.

I then took the MCAT twice. First attempt June 2014: 29 (9PS, 11VR, 9BS)
Second Attempt December 2014: 32 (12PS, 11VR, 9BS)

The second attempt was right before the MCAT changed, as I'm sure you are aware, so I can't comment on the new MCAT.

My pre-health professions advisor at College of Charleston told me they don't usually accept anyone with less than a 3.0 cGPA into the program, but I think my MCAT made me pretty competitive, along with 7,000 clinical hours working as an ER Tech.

I'd be happy to answer any and all questions you may have.

100% of last year's students were accepted into Medical/Dental school etc. Just so you know. And last year it was still a certificate program!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello!

I was accepted into the MMS program for the current year, classes just started this past week (May 27th).

I graduated from the College of Charleston in May of 2013, BA in Biology, 2.88 cGPA.

The second attempt was right before the MCAT changed, as I'm sure you are aware, so I can't comment on the new MCAT.

My pre-health professions advisor at College of Charleston told me they don't usually accept anyone with less than a 3.0 cGPA into the program, but I think my MCAT made me pretty competitive, along with 7,000 clinical hours working as an ER Tech.

100% of last year's students were accepted into Medical/Dental school etc. Just so you know. And last year it was still a certificate program!
Thank you so much for the feedback, Michael! I can't wait for December to arrive so I can apply in the next cycle. How has the first week been so far? What month did you apply and what month did you receive your acceptance letter?

I submitted my application just a couple of days AFTER the application deadline of April 15th. I do not recommend this! It was very nerve-wracking.
The following day, I spoke with one of the program directors, Dr Cynthia Wright, who informed me I was #1 on the waiting list. One day later I received my acceptance email.

The first week has been pretty laid back, as we met one day for orientation, and the following day for our once weekly hour long class. The rest of the components of the 12? week summer semester are online and self-schedule, so it feels like there isn't much to do, but this is very deceiving. The workload is actually reasonably heavy, but its up to the students to be self-motivated and keep up.

Good luck with everything. Have you graduated from college?

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you! Yes, I graduated from Winthrop University in 2008 with a BS in Biology. I went straight into the workforce after graduation. The past seven years have been a journey but it has been SO worth it. Currently, I am studying for the MCAT which I will be taking this August. I pray I do well since this is a new version and it will be my first attempt. Thank you again for all the feedback! I will probably have more questions for you towards the end of the summer semester. Good luck with everything!!

Hello!

Hi,

I hope all is well. Last time we spoke you were just starting the first of week of the semester. Overall, how was your first semester? What were your likes and dislikes?

Hello!

I am waiting to apply to MUSC masters program and I had a few questions. I am an ACS Biochemistry major at Winthrop University and have a 3.3 cgpa. I am taking the MCAT right away in January so I can apply early. I am involved in a lot of organizations on campus and I am an athlete with 2 years of organic chem research. I have my CNA certification and have been working for a few months now. I really want to get into MUSC and I am curious if I would be a competitive applicant. Thank you so much!

I am waiting to apply to MUSC masters program and I had a few questions. I am an ACS Biochemistry major at Winthrop University and have a 3.3 cgpa. I am taking the MCAT right away in January so I can apply early. I am involved in a lot of organizations on campus and I am an athlete with 2 years of organic chem research. I have my CNA certification and have been working for a few months now. I really want to get into MUSC and I am curious if I would be a competitive applicant. Thank you so much!

How did you do on the MCAT? I just began studying and plan on taking it in December or January (waiting for them to release the test dates for 2017). Did you end up at MUSC? I'm definitely applying to this program!! It sounds perfect for me

Hey there, did any of you end up applying to the program? Or any feedback on the program itself?

Hi! I am applying to the Master of Medical Science at MUSC in Dec 2017.

Does anyone know how competitive this program is? The max number of students accepted are 20. However, I was a student at the College of Charleston (right down the road from MUSC) and was never told about this opportunity. Do you think they do not advertise a lot because of the small class size?

Also, do they interview applicants?

Thanks!

I graduated from the program-all of us got interviews and almost everyone got in (I am starting med school at musc in august). The program is really similar to the same classes you would take 1st year of med/dental school (3 of the classes we took are with the 1st year dental students)

I graduated from the program-all of us got interviews and almost everyone got in (I am starting med school at musc in august). The program is really similar to the same classes you would take 1st year of med/dental school (3 of the classes we took are with the 1st year dental students)
Does the program have any ties with the dental school? Did most of your class receive interviews/acceptance from MUSC? Would love to find out more about the program from a students perspective.

Hello, is anyone willing to provide an update on this? I am looking into the masters of medical science program for 2019.

Can someone give me pros and cons on this program? any linkage?

Can someone give me pros and cons on this program? any linkage?

no linkage. pros: if you do well it looks good when applying to schools, anatomy course is really good and the professor is amazing. it 100% will prepare you for medical school, MUSC also has resources that are helpful (mock interviews, really good study skills assistance) cons: MUSC college of medicine really doesn't give a **** about the program. The pre-dental students that do it have pretty good luck getting in at MUSC, pre meds don't. Last year's class had 2 students get accepted to MUSC out of the roughly 15 that applied. most students got into other schools in the state though. the program directors try to make the odds seem a lot better than they are. If you have a high MCAT and you're in-state but need to improve GPA, this program could be good for you. If your MCAT is the issue its not worth it at all, MCAT scores are too important to the new dean of admission.

In my opinion, it's not worth it to spend money on a master's that doesn't have linkage. There are too many programs that have guaranteed acceptance or strong linkages, go to one of those instead.

no linkage. pros: if you do well it looks good when applying to schools, anatomy course is really good and the professor is amazing. it 100% will prepare you for medical school, MUSC also has resources that are helpful (mock interviews, really good study skills assistance) cons: MUSC college of medicine really doesn't give a **** about the program. The pre-dental students that do it have pretty good luck getting in at MUSC, pre meds don't. Last year's class had 2 students get accepted to MUSC out of the roughly 15 that applied. most students got into other schools in the state though. the program directors try to make the odds seem a lot better than they are. If you have a high MCAT and you're in-state but need to improve GPA, this program could be good for you. If your MCAT is the issue its not worth it at all, MCAT scores are too important to the new dean of admission.

In my opinion, it's not worth it to spend money on a master's that doesn't have linkage. There are too many programs that have guaranteed acceptance or strong linkages, go to one of those instead.
Thanks and agreed. Which SMPs would you suggest?

Thanks and agreed. Which SMPs would you suggest?
It's been a while since I looked into it, but off the top of my head VCOM, PCOM, Touro, and LECOM bradenton all have linkage programs with conditional acceptances if you're okay with DO schools, and Drexel in Pennsylvania does as well. I'm sure there are more options out there. SMPs are expensive so throw your money at something you know is going to get you accepted somewhere.

It's been a while since I looked into it, but off the top of my head VCOM, PCOM, Touro, and LECOM bradenton all have linkage programs with conditional acceptances if you're okay with DO schools, and Drexel in Pennsylvania does as well. I'm sure there are more options out there. SMPs are expensive so throw your money at something you know is going to get you accepted somewhere.
Appreciated!!! :)