CASPer Test Multiple Mini Interview for the Mind: Sample Answers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Advisor Prep

Admissions Guru
Vendor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
thinpaperbackMMI-e1427995162857.png

Station 1

Interviewer: “Can you please discuss your plan to succeed?”

Applicant: “This is a scenario where I’m an animal trainer hired by the local zoo to work with a new pair of chimpanzees. The zoo wants the pair to be fully responsive by the end of the training period. Currently they seem distracted and preoccupied by their new environment and they’re eager to explore their new surroundings. I would use their curiosity to my advantage and spend as much time as possible to closely observe their behaviors and their adjustment process to the new environment. In order for me to succeed, it will be crucial to be able to speak the same language as my chimpanzees. This involves teaching them and helping them learn by association. I plan on doing this by rewarding positive behavior and clearly establishing a beginning and an end to our training sessions. I’m also aware that it is possible for my chimpanzees to learn unintentional behaviors from their surrounding so I would also be cautious to seek these out and minimize them. I would maximize the zoo’s assistance from additional staff and trainers to help ensure we meet our goal. I have been involved in training a variety of animals in my past experiences and I successfully achieved my goals by adopting a similar plan.”

Members don't see this ad.

Station 2

Interviewer: “Can you please discuss how you would proceed in this situation?”

Applicant: “This is a scenario where I’m a nutritionist working with a family doctor in my community. I’m about to see a patient in follow up who is unaware of their new diabetes diagnosis. It sounds like things are going well for them and at this point, they’re inquiring about the results of their recent blood sugar testing. I would not rush to disclose their blood sugar results immediately. In this situation, it is really important for me as a team member to take a step back and assess their request. As a nutritionist, it would be inappropriate for me to disclose to the patient that they have diabetes based on their blood sugar results prior to them seeing their family physician first. As a team member, I would act in the most respectful way towards each person’s role and boundaries. It’s clear from the scenario that this patient has not yet been told they have diabetes by their doctor. However, depending on my relationship with their family doctor and assuming that it was clearly communicated and acceptable for me to assist the family doctor by initiating a discussion surrounding this patient’s new diabetes diagnosis, I would then proceed and disclose that their blood sugar results show a high level that fits with diabetes. At this point, I would offer my support and expertise in areas of lifestyle, nutrition and diet modification to help maximize their sugar control. I would ask when they’re scheduled to see their physician and schedule a follow up appointment in my office after their physician appointment. In my experience as an ER volunteer, I’ve noticed that patient care is optimum when team boundaries are met with respect.”

Station 4

Interviewer: “Can you please tell me how you would respond to this situation?”

Applicant: “This is a scenario where I’m an assistant manager at a company I’ve been with for three years and after a meeting, my current manager has approached me and suggested that my job might be in jeopardy. I would first take a step back and ask myself if I might have any personal bias towards my manager that could be contributing to her reaction towards me. After self-reflecting, I would speak to coworkers in my department under the same manager confidentially to see if they have identified any concerns about our manager. Assuming we are all on the same page and concerns are brought up, I would then schedule a private one-on-one meeting with my manager. During our meeting, I would ask her for clarification regarding the statement that was made about my job being in jeopardy. It is important for me to leave our meeting with a clear understanding of what my manager’s concerns are. I would move forward by suggesting that I meet with her regularly to ensure that I am meeting her expectations and addressing concerns. I was involved in a similar situation in a previous job with my manager at the time and I found that meeting regularly allowed me to build a better relationship by communicating with them more frequently and this positively changed my situation at work.”

Members don't see this ad :)
Station 6

Interviewer: “Can you please tell me whether such interview practices in the admissions process should continue?”

Applicant: “This is a scenario where I’ve recently assumed the position of dean at my medical school and a meeting with the admissions committee has been scheduled to discuss a legacy interview policy. Such a complex policy has effects that extend well beyond the program. I would want to start by gathering everyone’s input at our meeting and specifically everyone’s experiences with legacy cases within our program. Assuming the program maintains admissions data on this select group of applicants, I would review this information critically. However, at our meeting, I would raise the issue that the current legacy policy should be discontinued because it provides a clear upper hand in the admissions process for select applicants. Afterwards, I would discuss this issue further with the admissions committee, specifically consequences that may arise as a result of discontinuing legacy interviews. This policy may have been overlooked in the past but continuing in the same footsteps would perpetuate principles behind discriminatory policies that medicine has shifted away from. As the dean of my medical school, I would move forward and welcome the opportunity to support an interview policy that improves the chances of admission for all applicants rather than a select few.”

Station 9

Interviewer: “Please discuss with the interviewer what you will include in your response.”

Applicant: “This is a scenario where I’m the Health Minister and legislation has been drafted that would require everyone to pay an equal health premium regardless of their personal income level. As the health minister, my main priority would be to ensure access to health care remains unchanged (or improves) as a result of the implementation of this equal health premium. There is currently a wide range in the current health premium fees paid, depending on one’s personal income. A general principle I would try to balance is fairness to individuals and to society. In order to do so, I would enlist the help of my team to gather additional information such as the ratio of the premium to a person’s total income this universal flat rate health care premium would place on individuals with personal income levels of less than $20,000. I would also schedule public forums to allow the public to express their support and concerns about implementing an equal health premium. After taking all of the above into consideration and assuming this flat rate health care premium does not amount to a significant financial burden on individuals with incomes of less than $20,000, I would support this premium. In my experience as a previous employee in health policy, this scenario is one that I can especially relate to. I’ve dealt with a wide range of policy issues at the local and corporate level and in both instances I was able to advocate for change that helped ensure one’s health remained the top priority.”

Station 10

Interviewer: “Can you please discuss how you would respond to this call?”

Applicant: “This is a scenario where I’m a child support worker and I’ve received an anonymous call from a concerned neighbor. I would acknowledge to my caller that the safety of the children is my first priority and assess the situation for any signs of immediate danger to them. Assuming no immediate harm is identified, I would need to obtain more background information from this caller about her concerns and the children’s environment. I would ask about direct encounters the caller may have had with the children’s parents and the frequency of the children’s bruises noted. Abuse in any form should never be tolerated and I would do my best to advocate for these children. I would then schedule a personal visit with the family and during this visit I would speak with the children in private. Assuming that my fears about suspected abuse are validated, I would remove the children from their current environment and place them into a suitable alternative arrangement that minimizes disruption from their everyday routines. I would also engage the help of my colleagues and speak to legal authorities as required by law. In the short term, my response would take these children away from their parents but their safety is my utmost importance and one of my goals by doing so is to minimize adverse long terms outcomes they may experience from abuse. I would also want to support the parents and be a resource to help them towards positive change. In abuse situations, it can be very difficult for the victims to come forth. In my experience as a distress center volunteer, I’ve dealt with a wide range of abuse within different age groups and I was able to shed some light into their situations by listening to their voices and engaging them to speak about their concerns.”

Station 5

Interviewer: “Please discuss with the interviewer whether you agree with this concern.”

Applicant: “This scenario highlights the difficult and complex situation surrounding the euthanasia of healthy animals. Unfortunately, veterinarians must often face this dilemma and it contradicts the fact that individuals enter veterinary medicine to save lives rather than to take lives. I agree with the concern raised in the prompt and I would start by gathering information on euthanasia rates at local animal shelters. Assuming that lack of space was the main reason for euthanasia of these animals, I would then explore avenues to reduce the number of animals being taken in and foster avenues that maximize a greater number of animals getting adopted out. We are fortunate to live in a time that supports new opportunities for raising awareness through social media. I would bring attention to the general public regarding the euthanasia of healthy animals in the hopes of educating them on the importance of spay/neuter and adoption programs. With spay/neuter education, it’s important to increase accessibility to low cost/free spay neuter options. I would approach other local veterinarians as well as provide these low cost services at my clinic. For animals already in shelters, my efforts would be centered on finding them forever homes. One strategy for doing so is to promote adopt-a-thons through campaigns on social media. Another strategy to address this concern is to network with other likeminded individuals and work together to maximize our resources. Teamwork has always been an important component of my experiences. When I was a volunteer at our local shelter, several of us often worked together to network and pool our resources in order to find forever homes for urgent pets on death row. In the end, it was tremendously rewarding to see some of these loving, healthy animals escape euthanasia and find their forever homes.”

Station 8

Interviewer: “Please discuss with the interviewer whether physicians have a duty to act as healthy role models for their patients.”

Applicant: “This scenario provides a glimpse into the important dynamics of the physician-patient relationship. It suggests that a patient’s perception of their provider’s lifestyle can impact their confidence in following recommended counselling advice. My own belief is that physicians have a duty to act as healthy role models for their patients because actions speak louder than words. While it is theoretically possible for physicians to give professional sound advice about matters they personally do differently, the reality is that patients view physicians with a different eye from ‘ordinary’ citizens in this appeal. There is considerable healing power in the physician-patient relationship and this may be hindered if a patient’s confidence in their physician is disrupted. Working together offers the opportunity to significantly improve the patient’s quality of life and health status. However, from the physician’s perspective, their personal autonomy may be in jeopardy if they are unable to make personal choices, consistent with their own beliefs and interests. Despite their personal freedoms being affected, the therapeutic patient-physician alliance involves specific and important physician obligations. I believe many patients’ understand that physicians are human and when faced with unhealthy lifestyle choices, will require the same help and a supporting environment to change their behavior.”

For Station 3 what would be some suitable questions to discuss with the husband and how would one go about asking for end of life wishes?

For Station 3 what would be some suitable questions to discuss with the husband and how would one go about asking for end of life wishes?

Hi there,

Thanks for visiting our sub-forum. For station 3, it is crucial not to rush into clarifying the patient's end of life wishes with her husband. Spend a significant portion of the station exploring her husband's emotions, providing support and empathy. When a suitable opening arises, a bridging line to lead into an end of life discussion, could be, "I know this is a difficult time for you and your family, but I would like to ask you a few questions about your wife that we ask all patients." An additional suitable question would be, "Have you and your wife ever discussed what you would do if your wife were not able to make decisions for herself?" To score well in role playing/acting stations, remember to take your time, explore key concerns and emotions displayed by the SP/husband.