Multiple acceptances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fldoctorgirl

IM PGY-1
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a question that may seem kind of silly and stupid, but I can't find clear answers online.

Hypothetically, let's say an applicant interviewed at a school in September, and was notified of their acceptance at said school by October. However, let's say the applicant still has other interviews scheduled, or is hoping to get more interviews.

Would this applicant "accept" the admissions offer and send in a deposit? Would they then be able to get this deposit refunded if they were accepted to another school that they liked better later on in the application cycle? Or could they just hold on to multiple acceptances until a certain date?

I'm just kind of confused on how this all works and figure it's best for me to understand it before this cycle goes into full swing!

Members don't see this ad.

I have a question that may seem kind of silly and stupid, but I can't find clear answers online.

Hypothetically, let's say an applicant interviewed at a school in September, and was notified of their acceptance at said school by October. However, let's say the applicant still has other interviews scheduled, or is hoping to get more interviews.

Would this applicant "accept" the admissions offer and send in a deposit? Would they then be able to get this deposit refunded if they were accepted to another school that they liked better later on in the application cycle? Or could they just hold on to multiple acceptances until a certain date?

I'm just kind of confused on how this all works and figure it's best for me to understand it before this cycle goes into full swing!
Yes students can hold multiple acceptances up to a certain date. I believe it is April 30th, after which you would only be allowed to hold one acceptance. I also believe schools would return your deposit if you were to drop the acceptance prior to this date but some schools require you to request for your deposit back before they actually return it.

Reactions: 1 user
Schools return the deposits. Some schools don't have deposits, which is cool. MD schools are usually around $100. Those pesky DO schools are like a grand I heard

Members don't see this ad :)
DO schools will keep your deposit.MD schools will give it back.

Are DO deposits more expensive because they reserve your place more holistically?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
Do deposits are more expensive because they know they are safety schools for applicants.

Last edited:
Does anyone know what the process is for withdrawing your acceptance and getting your deposit back? I have looked through my emails from the school, and it doesn't mention what you're supposed to do. Before I call them, I wanted to ask here. It is an MD school.

I was planning on calling them, then sending along a thank you email with my intention to withdraw my acceptance. I don't really know if that is the correct wording.

Last edited:
Many D.O. schools have a hefty non-refundable deposit. It usually ranges from $1000-$3000, with the newer schools at the higher range. A few D.O. schools have the $100 refundable deposit, similar to M.D. schools, but I think most of those are state schools. With that being said, if you are a D.O. applicant, it's in your best interest to make a decision before Dec. 15 to avoid losing several grand. Some schools don't even follow the AACOM guidelines, so you're out of luck there.