Multi state license?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bva

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Can we have multi states license? I know that doctors can practice in many states at the same time. Can pharmacist hold license in many states, at the same time?

Sorry for my stupid question.

Members don't see this ad.

Yes you can! Each state has its own requirements...you can transfer between most states, but not all. There are certain rules you have to follow in order to do that too. Even with a transfer you will likely be required to take that state's MPJE.

Hi,

Can we have multi states license? I know that doctors can practice in many states at the same time. Can pharmacist hold license in many states, at the same time?

Sorry for my stupid question.
I've had pharmacy recruiters mention to me that it can make you even more valuable if you are so inclined to live close to the state's border and hold two licenses.

I've had pharmacy recruiters mention to me that it can make you even more valuable if you are so inclined to live close to the state's border and hold two licenses.

Yeah, a lot of pharmacists in my area are dual licensed in Ky and Indiana.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you YOU ALL so much for your valuable information.

One more question, please... Do we have to do internship hours for every state we want to hold the license? For instance, if you have completed internship hours for KY, and you want to hold the license in both KY and Indiana, do you have to do the internship in Indiana also? Or you will have to take only the Indiana exam's law, without doing more internships?

Thank you very much.

One more question, please... Do we have to do internship hours for every state we want to hold the license? For instance, if you have completed internship hours for KY, and you want to hold the license in both KY and Indiana, do you have to do the internship in Indiana also? Or you will have to take only the Indiana exam's law, without doing more internships?

Thank you very much.

Qualifying intern hours are usually good for all licenses you want to apply for - again state specific, so check the states you're interested in.

The issue with this comes up not when you get licensed - but in keeping your license. You have to submit qualifying CE for each license & that is where some states can get you. Some require specific kinds of CE - so you have to be careful you get the right CE for each state you want to maintain an active license in.

I work with many pharmacists who have multiple licenses, but keep only one active - the rest are inactive. To become active again, most just require submission of current CE. Depending on the state, you may not want to keep paying the active fees (& the other associated fees - like making sure your malpractice coverage is good in all states you work in).

That being said....in CA - we have many, many pharmacists who get NV licenses along with CA. Lots of folks vacation near Lake Tahoe & will work a day or two in while they're there - one side of the lake is in CA & one side in NV & those pharmacists are always looking for vacation coverage - year round!

Thank you very much.

Your internship hours need to meet the requirements of whatever state you wish to be initially licensed in.

Thank you, thank you, thank you so much for your information and comments.