Mua

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sfnforever

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey everyone! i just got an email saying that i have been granted an interview for medical university of americas at nevis. If anyone else had a phone interview there, can you please give me a heads up as to what to expect? Also, if you have a phone interview, does that mean you're pretty much in or is it just a foot in the door? Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

i am in a same situation. Can you please tell me what they asked you in the interview?

FutureMDiA,

sfnforever made that post over 8 years ago. They were last seen on Feb 16, 2007. I seriously doubt they are going to come here and answer your question.

Having said that, if you are granted an interview you are likely going to get an acceptance. That is, provided you don't show-up wearing a swimsuit and flip-flops, curse-out the interviewer, or have a third-arm growing out of your forehead.

You've had a job before, right? Just go like you're going on a job interview. Be professional, answer their questions honestly, and don't act like a d-bag. They want your money. Trust me.

-Skip

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I don't believe FutureMDiA understands (viscerally) what's at stake.

You can't reach everyone. You can only point them in the right direction and hope they will someday fly out of the nest.

-Skip

Thanks, haha. I didn't even realize this post is like 8 years old.

Last edited:
Last edited:
I have that poster on "ignore". I don't care what he/she says. He/she comes here to troll.

-Skip

Reactions: 2 users
Gossiping about me behind my back, eh?

Oh well, I've always been honest to a fault and that's made me a lot of enemies. I'm not going to change though, I will continue being honest and continue being true to myself. I've always been a different kind of individual, not going to change now.

This guy, Spirit, is upset because I made some critical comments about Islam. I assume he is Muslim because he took it very personally and starting insulting and harassing me in different threads. In one thread, he wrote that I will never "get a woman".

He can continue insulting and harassing me all he wants, I will not respond in kind.

FutureMDiA, I am a student at MUA for two semesters now. I have been reading your posts and it seems like you want some guidance. I will try the best that I can.

First, I want to say that this is an anonymous Internet forum and that every response will have a certain amount of anecdote and opinion no matter how long a user has been posting or how factual they sound. Basically, the best thing to do is to do your own research. Look at match data from NRMP and ECFMG as your guide and interpret the data based on how well you feel you can perform. If you've ever worked hard in your life (EX: job, paid your own bills, previous graduate level schooling, etc.) then you should know what you're capable of.

As far as the Caribbean schools go, it should be your very last resort, Big 4 included. If you're young, retake your MCAT and retake classes and apply to US DO school. Same thing as a medical physician according to US law.

With that being said, MUA is a school that will provide you the opportunity to get you a residency spot if you work hard and are a self-starter. The ECFMG match data shows that MUA students are matching into residencies.

I don't know much about AUA other than that they do have Cali approval but no Title IV loans. So basically it puts AUA in the same tier as MUA as they mostly have the same accreditations (except Cali). The decision boils to whether you need government backed loans or whether Cali approval is important enough for you to take a private credit based loan from AUA's bank of lake mill. Also keep in mind that MUA is currently seeking Cali approval and based on Google-able documents from the Medical Board of California, things look promising. Considering the factors at play, I would not enroll into a caribbean school other than the big 4, MUA, and/or AUA. Anything outside of that is too risky for me, personally. But, people do match from other less known caribbean schools as well (just requires harder work).

What most people on these forums fail to realize is that this information is dynamic, not static. A lot of the more frequent posters on SDN look through a static lens. In a few years the Big 4 can become the Big 5 or 6. Essentially, I'm saying do your own research and come up with your own conclusions. I did so, and I'm very happy with MUA. I feel like I made the best choice for me, personally. That's the best advice I can give.

I hope that my post has helped you. If you have any other questions about island life, or whatever, don't hesitate to ask.

FutureMDiA, I am a student at MUA for two semesters now. I have been reading your posts and it seems like you want some guidance. I will try the best that I can.

First, I want to say that this is an anonymous Internet forum and that every response will have a certain amount of anecdote and opinion no matter how long a user has been posting or how factual they sound. Basically, the best thing to do is to do your own research. Look at match data from NRMP and ECFMG as your guide and interpret the data based on how well you feel you can perform. If you've ever worked hard in your life (EX: job, paid your own bills, previous graduate level schooling, etc.) then you should know what you're capable of.

As far as the Caribbean schools go, it should be your very last resort, Big 4 included. If you're young, retake your MCAT and retake classes and apply to US DO school. Same thing as a medical physician according to US law.

With that being said, MUA is a school that will provide you the opportunity to get you a residency spot if you work hard and are a self-starter. The ECFMG match data shows that MUA students are matching into residencies.

I don't know much about AUA other than that they do have Cali approval but no Title IV loans. So basically it puts AUA in the same tier as MUA as they mostly have the same accreditations (except Cali). The decision boils to whether you need government backed loans or whether Cali approval is important enough for you to take a private credit based loan from AUA's bank of lake mill. Also keep in mind that MUA is currently seeking Cali approval and based on Google-able documents from the Medical Board of California, things look promising. Considering the factors at play, I would not enroll into a caribbean school other than the big 4, MUA, and/or AUA. Anything outside of that is too risky for me, personally. But, people do match from other less known caribbean schools as well (just requires harder work).

What most people on these forums fail to realize is that this information is dynamic, not static. A lot of the more frequent posters on SDN look through a static lens. In a few years the Big 4 can become the Big 5 or 6. Essentially, I'm saying do your own research and come up with your own conclusions. I did so, and I'm very happy with MUA. I feel like I made the best choice for me, personally. That's the best advice I can give.

I hope that my post has helped you. If you have any other questions about island life, or whatever, don't hesitate to ask.

Thanks for the info. i PM'd you.

FutureMDiA, I am a student at MUA for two semesters now.

Thank you for posting here. Please be sure to keep us up-to-date on the progress of your medical education. You are still in the pre-clinical program (i.e., classwork). The rubber meets the road when you get into clinicals. Will be interested to hear your experience then (I've been posting on this forum for 12 years... no need for you to "fade into Bolivian", as Mike Tyson once said).

First, I want to say that this is an anonymous Internet forum and that every response will have a certain amount of anecdote and opinion no matter how long a user has been posting or how factual they sound.

Yes, clearly. No arguments. There is a lot of balderdash that is passed-off as Gospel on this forum. But (and if you were referring to posters like myself and/or me specifically), you will see that most of the credible posters back-up those opinions and anecdotes with data whenever and wherever possible. You would know this, for example, if you followed my posts. Then again, I've successfully navigated the Caribbean and I have been posting on here (again) for more than 12 years and have over 2,700 posts to corroborate that.

All Caribbean medical schools, at least the ones that are listed in FAIMER and/or IMED and also remain properly accredited in their home country, will provide that opportunity. Many of them will have graduates that match (or are placed) into residencies. Again, and as I've said ad nauseum on this forum, the key is a long and strong track record of placing graduates in residencies across a spectrum of specialties and in multiple different states.

The decision boils to whether you need government backed loans or whether Cali approval is important enough for you to take a private credit based loan from AUA's bank of lake mill.

There are also several medical boards that maintain comity with California's. You will not be able to practice in those states either.

Also keep in mind that MUA is currently seeking Cali approval and based on Google-able documents from the Medical Board of California, things look promising.

This is a critical point: even if they get California approval, it is highly probably that you will not receive credit for any classes that you took before that approval. In other words, the approval is usually not retroactive. Classes deemed deficient up to the point of approval will have to be repeated. Take your own advice and do your homework on this crucial point. Several medical boards make a point to delineate specific dates that coursework is or is not approved. You may have to repeat classes if you ever want to get a license in a previously disapproved state.

Considering the factors at play, I would not enroll into a caribbean school other than the big 4, MUA, and/or AUA. Anything outside of that is too risky for me, personally. But, people do match from other less known caribbean schools as well (just requires harder work).

I cannot (and won't) give specific advice. There are plenty of schools that will promise you the world. It would behoove any candidate to consider most highly those programs that are already approved in all fifty states, have well-established clinical clerkship (i.e. MS3 and MS4) rotations, and for whom you can easily secure funding.

What most people on these forums fail to realize is that this information is dynamic, not static. A lot of the more frequent posters on SDN look through a static lens. In a few years the Big 4 can become the Big 5 or 6.

I think you assume too much here. Most of us fully understand that medical board decisions can and do occasionally change. What most matriculants don't necessarily understand is that those changes are not necessarily retroactive and inclusive. While it is entirely possible that these schools could emerge as viable options, the fact is that there are more U.S. spots - both at MD and DO granting schools - and this bodes will for 'near miss' applicants for getting into a U.S. school whereas, in the past, they would've been "forced" to go the Caribbean route. As a result, the environment in the Caribbean is going to get tighter and more competitive, and the room for additional less well-established programs is going to become less and less. That is speculation. I freely admit that. But, it would behoove anyone considering this route to make the best decision to broaden their chances of getting into residency.

Essentially, I'm saying do your own research and come up with your own conclusions. I did so, and I'm very happy with MUA. I feel like I made the best choice for me, personally. That's the best advice I can give.

Please stay in touch and get back to us in 2-3 years. We would appreciate updates, as well as a way (privately, if necessary) to corroborate what you tell us.

Thanks! And, good luck!

-Skip

12 years! Wow, that's a long time. You're opinion is definitely a valued one. I'm sure you've seen and heard a lot of ****!

I just received an email to have an interview with MUA. I actually intended to apply SABA in the late application process. Somehow they froward my application to MUA. This is the first time I heard of MUA. Thanks for all the posts about this school and Caribbean Med schools in general.

I just received an email to have an interview with MUA. I actually intended to apply SABA in the late application process. Somehow they froward my application to MUA. This is the first time I heard of MUA. Thanks for all the posts about this school and Caribbean Med schools in general.

I wouldn't go there. You will have problems getting licensed in all 50 states. Your chances of matching of residency is lower as well.

Do you really want to be unemployed and deeply in debt?

Reactions: 1 user

Hi, how easy was it to do your rotations? How did you do on your USMLE step 1? I have been admitted into MUA to start in September 2017, and there are just a lot of bad info out there about the school. Thanks