MSW versus nursing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jcmoore07

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

As the thread title indicates, I have been considering both social work and nursing for a while now, and I thought I would see what the people viewing these posts may have to offer.

My reasons for the uncertainty of the decision are as follows:
1. I am interested in mental health, and working in a mental health in patient facility such as a hospital. I have heard that many of the duties of social workers in these facilities are handled by nurses.
2. Pay - I know pay isn't so bad for social workers with MSW degrees, but I hear that cuts are really affecting the number of job openings and security.

A few reasons why I think Social Work may be better:
1. For someone with a bachelor's degree in a non-science related field, it would be easier to get into social work with an MSW than taking the science prerequisites and going through nursing school
2. More use of therapeutic and counseling skills.
3. More flexibility if I decide I want to work in other capacities in the future

My plan is to get a CNA certification and begin working in a hospital while I am in school. I think either path I chose, this will help me to get a foot in the door at a facility where I may be able to do practicum or rotation and maybe get a job after school.

I would be interested in hearing anyone's perspective or from anyone who may be or may have been in a similar predicament.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

What is your undergrad major? Yes, it would probably easier for you to go into the MSW, as opposed to starting over and gathering up science credits, etc. Also, nursing is very competitive, especially now. However, I encourage you to talk with social workers and nurses in the field--specifically in the mental health area. Perhaps you could even do a job shadow. On a side note, my relative is a nurse who found her calling in the mental health field, and she loves it. Good luck!