MSW is probably best for my situation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Boomchic

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
With my S.O. joining the military soon I am most likely going to be moving with them. My goal is to get an MSW viewing it is portable enough when we move here and there. I'd like to get licensed eventually, but it is what it is since I might be in a state that wont recognize the previous state I lived in. I was considering different mental health degrees, but I figure if I am going to be moving around the MSW would be best for me. I'm okay with case management, child welfare, and many other jobs that an MSW opens up besides aiming for therapy. With that being said, I have some questions.

I'll probably be tied to online programs for my degree because I'll be moving with my S.O. It appears that MSW's with the big name schools and/or accredited that have online options is a possibility. If I go to a CSWE accredited program I'm good right regardless if it is online? I am going to be aiming for schools that support in getting local field placements based on where I live.

I'm not too worried about cost because I saved my GI Bill and with the yellow ribbon program I'm looking at very little debt if a school is more than what both programs cover.

As of right now I think online MSW is best based on what I want to do and how often I'll be moving.

If I should consider other things please let me know!

Members don't see this ad.

What other degree fields were you considering? It appears that you are settling for the MSW, but I also could have misinterpreted it. When are you ready to start your program? When I transitioned from AD to reserves, my better half was still active duty. I finished my MSW in two years, at one duty station. We actually PCS's the night of my graduation. Depending on your timing, you might not have to do an online program. To answer your question, it doesent matter if it's brick and mortar or online, as long as it's accredited.
I can speak more to license and portability if you'd like. Good on you for being able to use your GI Bill. It's a tremendous benefit.

Reactions: 1 user
With my S.O. joining the military soon I am most likely going to be moving with them. My goal is to get an MSW viewing it is portable enough when we move here and there. I'd like to get licensed eventually, but it is what it is since I might be in a state that wont recognize the previous state I lived in. I was considering different mental health degrees, but I figure if I am going to be moving around the MSW would be best for me. I'm okay with case management, child welfare, and many other jobs that an MSW opens up besides aiming for therapy. With that being said, I have some questions.

I'll probably be tied to online programs for my degree because I'll be moving with my S.O. It appears that MSW's with the big name schools and/or accredited that have online options is a possibility. If I go to a CSWE accredited program I'm good right regardless if it is online? I am going to be aiming for schools that support in getting local field placements based on where I live.

I'm not too worried about cost because I saved my GI Bill and with the yellow ribbon program I'm looking at very little debt if a school is more than what both programs cover.

As of right now I think online MSW is best based on what I want to do and how often I'll be moving.

If I should consider other things please let me know!
From a license standpoint you will likely not have an issue coming from an online school as long as it is accredited. However, just because you are coming from a big name school does not mean that your training will be adequate or and may not get close mentorship. I have worked with two individuals from online MSW's from "big name" programs and was not overly impressed. Unfortunately it seems that there is not as much gate keeping in regards to catching the subpar students who would normally be weeded out of programs before entering internship or practicum or at least caught and provided some type of remediation to demonstrate they are prepared. However, once they reach that point they can be dangerous. Not to say that this doesn't happen at B&M schools but it is much less frequent as there are more safeguards in place. Best of luck in what you choose.

If you go to an accredited program and need to move, you may be able to transfer to a different program in your new location. Just something to think about. Good luck with whatever you choose.