MSUCOM vs Wayne state

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pablo94

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Where would you go if you were accepted to both? I don't like the thought of living in Detroit and would much rather live in east Lansing, but understand that one school is osteopathic and the other is allopathic. In the eyes of those with experience (older med students) Do you think it's worth living somewhere you're not fond of just to get an MD degree, in case I want to specialize in something semi-competitive?

Members don't see this ad.

Where would you go if you were accepted to both? I don't like the thought of living in Detroit and would much rather live in east Lansing, but understand that one school is osteopathic and the other is allopathic. In the eyes of those with experience (older med students) Do you think it's worth living somewhere you're not fond of just to get an MD degree, in case I want to specialize in something semi-competitive?

I personally chose not to apply to wayne due to its location. But again I'm not interested in any of the competitive specialties and I don't see myself in them, so an MD would not give me any significant advantages personally.

Going to DO limits your options, and makes it harder to match in anything competitive. If you like it or not, wayne will keep those doors open.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
If you have acceptances to both in hand then go to Wayne. If not then just go to MSU and don't look back.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Choosing DO instead of MD will absolutely limit your options in the future.

Not only that but you don't actually have to live in Detroit since there's plenty of nice places to live within a short drive of the med school campus.

Reactions: 1 users
Choosing DO instead of MD will absolutely limit your options in the future.

Not only that but you don't actually have to live in Detroit since there's plenty of nice places to live within a short drive of the med school campus.
Plus midtown and downtown are exciting places to live. I would even say better quality of life for a young person compared to El.