-

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

indecisive_mstp

Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
8 years is a long time to be in a place you might hate for half of the year. Miami is home for you, has elite genetics research (#2 NIH-funded dept in the country iirc), and is home to the best ophthalmology residency program. Study for boards and write your PhD thesis in the sun, surrounded by your family and eating pastelitos.

Reactions: 1 users
I have a few days to come to a final decision for the next 8 years of training. Here is my thought process:

Interests: genetics, bioinformatics, ophthalmology (not sure if I will change my mind though)

Worried about spending so much time away from family. Ultimately may want to match back or start my career in FL, but given the length of training am worried about going away. Feinberg seems like a dream come true but I can't shake the guilt of leaving.

Miller

Pros
  • close to home and family support. I have close ties to Miami.
  • Patient population and cultural diversity
  • Ophtho mentorship and faculty - Bascom Palmer
  • Great match list for a non T20
  • Get to do a couple clerkships before PhD
Cons
  • Program is weaker all around relative to Feinberg (only recently became an MSTP)
  • fewer opportunities for industry collaborations
  • Quartile ranks for preclinical grades (I've heard that students don't really find this concerning but idk)
  • smaller program (<10 people per class)

Feinberg
Pros
  • Chicago is a great location
  • great impression from the MSTP admin
  • top notch research
  • strong and long history of producing academic physicians
  • strong computational research
  • true p/f preclinicals
  • good sized program (>15 per class)

Cons
  • it's really far from home
  • Idk if I'm built for a true winter
  • Strong ophtho prospects but less breadth of basic ophtho research compared to Miami
  • Relatively trad curriculum with no clerkships before PhD
I’m pretty torn because NU seems like a huge opportunity that idk if I can pass up on, but Miami in my mind is the “safe” option with lots of opportunity for my current interests.
what were your experiences like during your interviews and opportunities to speak with other MSTP students?
Go by that because this is an 8-year decision

Status
Not open for further replies.