MSIII Chances and Competitiveness

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PepsiPopSoda

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a new MS3 who has been very interested in ophtho but feels late to the party. Some stats so far:

Preclinical: P/F mid-tier school in the NE
Step 1: 263
3rd year Grades: Feedback has been promising, but haven't received any grades so far
Research: 1 publication, 4 abstracts + posters in non-related field (bio-engineering). The reason I chose to do research in this field is because it aligns with my undergraduate interests, and I couldn't say no when my mentor offered me the project.

I plan on getting involved with some ophtho research projects in the next month or two. Also, I will be doing an elective rotation with my home department before the end of the year to hopefully build some relationships with the attendings.

Is there anything else I can do to make myself more competitive? And is there geographic bias in the match (i.e. if I want to go to California, should I do an away there?) Also, I hear that letters from big names go a long way in ophtho but my home department consists mostly of newly graduated attendings. Should I do an Away at a big name place with the intent of getting a strong letter?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

1. "Make myself more competitive:" not really. You're covering all the major bases. Strong score, anticipated good grades, several publications, working on relationships. Good stuff overall.

2. Geographic bias: your mileage will vary. It depends on the program and selection committee. I did not experience much bias in places that offered me interviews. Aways can establish interest, but should be used to learn what other programs are like rather than to audition. It's generally pretty tough to be cool on aways, especially if you're talkative and outgoing like me (foot-in-mouth-itis.)

3. Letter from a bigwig at an away: I don't think many people do this. If you managed to develop a strong relationship with someone, it could work. But generally, you'll hear that strong letters from people who know you well are superior to most letters from an away.

Someone might link to threads that have answered these questions, or you could search for them on this sub-forum.

Good luck! You'll be fine with this resume.

-PT

What is your AOA status?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for the feedback, Pheasant Tail.

What is your AOA status?

I won't know until midway through MS4. My school doesn't do Junior AOA. Senior AOA is... random. (top X% of class based on MS3 grades is invited to apply, then AOA is chosen subjectively based on service, research, and how much the AOA professor likes you). Obviously I'll try to get it, but it's no guarantee. Will it significantly affect my chances of matching? My impression is that for ophtho, AOA helps you match at the name-brand places but not absolutely necessary for most institutions if the rest of your application is solid.

AOA is nice, but not essential. Boards, grades, letters are more important. If the rest of your application is legit and you are a normal, pleasant person it won't sink you by any means.

Thank you for the feedback, Pheasant Tail.

I won't know until midway through MS4. My school doesn't do Junior AOA. Senior AOA is... random. (top X% of class based on MS3 grades is invited to apply, then AOA is chosen subjectively based on service, research, and how much the AOA professor likes you). Obviously I'll try to get it, but it's no guarantee. Will it significantly affect my chances of matching? My impression is that for ophtho, AOA helps you match at the name-brand places but not absolutely necessary for most institutions if the rest of your application is solid.

It's not at all necessary, but people love it and it always helps. That's why I was asking... you seemed to have stats that would be favorable for it.