MSI Book recommendations... I Did research, any suggestions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

license43

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Hi peeps, MSers and fellow doctors, I'm an entering MS1 DO student.
What books did you guys think were the best in preparation for the MSI Core/basic science courses. Specifically: Gross anat, pharm, physio, biochem, embryo, neuroanatomy, OMT (If applicable for you), neuro.
So far after my research (Yes I did do research) this is what I believe are the best, please give any suggestions:
Gross anat: natters atlas +/- natters flashcards #1, moores clinical anatomy can be #1/#2, Greys (TMI), Michigan Website w/ their PQ, Grays review for PQ, BRS for extra PQ; Rohan's
Physio: Constanzo text or BRS
Pharm: Lippincott
Biochem: Lippincott
Embryo: High yield #1, BRS #2
Neuroanat: clinical cases for neuroanatomy #1
Histo: Blue histology #1, shotgut histo #2, Ross histo
Patho: Pathoma ####1... + Goljan

Also, how is Dr. Najeeb?? Anyone heard of FTP lectures, you know that funny DO guy ? AK lectures? i used AK lectures for undergrad, not sure if its beneficial for MS.

I highlighted what I recall using and added in red what I'd also recommend in the classes you have listed. You really won't need a lot of different resources. You're going to have a lot of information provided to you by your school, and unless the quality of the provided material is poor, then you most likely will not need many external resources.

Costanzo is great though. If you want to get that down and Pathoma down in your first year. :thumbup:

I highlighted what I recall using and added in red what I'd also recommend in the classes you have listed. You really won't need a lot of different resources. You're going to have a lot of information provided to you by your school, and unless the quality of the provided material is poor, then you most likely will not need many external resources.

Costanzo is great though. If you want to get that down and Pathoma down in your first year. :thumbup:
yeah I have costanzo text for physio and I already got pathoma, Already started studying that .

Members don't see this ad :)
yeah I have costanzo text for physio and I already got pathoma, Already started studying that .
Nice. People will tell you over and over again to not study, but if you want to get some pathology down early you'll be better off later, even if it's just memorizing random information for now.

Nice. People will tell you over and over again to not study, but if you want to get some pathology down early you'll be better off later, even if it's just memorizing random information for now.
thanks man. Thats what people said about my post bacc, but boy did my studying beforehand help me get into my current MS program, so of course I take all opinions with a grain of salt. Any other suggestions...??? Esp. for anatomy, embryo, neuroanatomy.
I did a post bacc and most of the texts are the same as the MSI, so I'm fortunate to at least have most of them.

thanks man. Thats what people said about my post bacc, but boy did my studying beforehand help me get into my current MS program, so of course I take all opinions with a grain of salt. Any other suggestions...??? Esp. for anatomy, embryo, neuroanatomy.
I did a post bacc and most of the texts are the same as the MSI, so I'm fortunate to at least have most of them.
I also used TheBodyOnline for anatomy. Bookmark that site along with UMich. Embryo you can get everything you need out of first aid. Neuroanatomy I only used school slides and handouts. The neuroanatomy course was a load of information in a really short time here so I only had time to use what my school gave. Not super high yield for boards (neurology yes, neuroanatomy not as much) based on 3 qbanks that I've done. Have to have down all the tracts and lesions.

thanks buddy, it means a lot to me. GL in whatever phase you are in your medical career! :)
Thanks. Good luck to you as well man. Just make that grind through the hard sciences. The systems courses are much more interesting. Sounds like you're ready to work hard. My best advice would be to keep your resources limited to a number that you feel comfortable with. The last thing you need is to start feeling overwhelmed because of all the items on your to-do list because of too many resources. Much of what you need will be provided to you. And ignore the people that tell you to not start studying if that is your drive.