MS3 thinking about Anesthesiology. Pros and Cons?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jack.jaret

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
We don't get exposure until 4th year (I'm nearing the end of my 3rd year). By the time I do an elective, it will be too late to decide. Do you guys mind elaborating some of the pros and cons? A little about myself: I like seeing results quick, I want a controllable lifestyle, outside hobbies are huge, salary doesn't matter to me, I want fast and quick patient interaction rather than long 15 minute primary care appointments. Thoughts? Any help is appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Yea pros and cons vary based on what you want but

Pros: quick results, lots of physiology, less patient interaction in general (awake patients at least)
Cons: low salary, high stress, have to deal with and please annoying surgeons. Lack of respect from patients and nurses and surgeons

In terms of controllable lifestyle, i think you can get it in almost any field, it all depends on what job you sign up for. Unfortunately, jobs are getting worse in anesthesiology so you might have a tougher time finding a decent job in terms of hours, so i dont know if anesthesiology is the best fit for you if outside hobbies are huge. You can have a lot more time working as a ED doc or a 7 on 7 off hospitalist/neurologist. In almost every other fields you open your practice and be your own boss and decide your hours, if you don't care about salary, simply schedule fewer patients/surgeries. You aren't going to get that freedom in anesthesiology.

Reactions: 1 user
Lifestyle is less controllable than most other specialties unless you're a part-timer who picks and chooses what days you want to work. In a general hospital practice, cases go over and there are always addons and emergencies. Don't make plans for 5 if you are scheduled to work til 4.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yea pros and cons vary based on what you want but

Pros: quick results, lots of physiology, less patient interaction in general (awake patients at least)
Cons: low salary, high stress, have to deal with and please annoying surgeons. Lack of respect from patients and nurses and surgeons

In terms of controllable lifestyle, i think you can get it in almost any field, it all depends on what job you sign up for. Unfortunately, jobs are getting worse in anesthesiology so you might have a tougher time finding a decent job in terms of hours, so i dont know if anesthesiology is the best fit for you if outside hobbies are huge. You can have a lot more time working as a ED doc or a 7 on 7 off hospitalist/neurologist. In almost every other fields you open your practice and be your own boss and decide your hours, if you don't care about salary, simply schedule fewer patients/surgeries. You aren't going to get that freedom in anesthesiology.

salaries are low?

you can easily make more in other fields. Hospitalist these days are making 300+ w 7 on 7 off..

Quit med school. Marry rich. Enjoy life.
I feel like the easiest way to marry rich would be to stay in med school but scope out which of your classmates have a real shot at dermatology or plastic surgery. ;)

Reactions: 2 users
you can easily make more in other fields. Hospitalist these days are making 300+ w 7 on 7 off..

Really? I have a several friends taking some time off between residency and fellowship working as hospitalists, and none of them are even sniffing 250. Most are 220-230 at community hospitals, lower (170-200 and working more) at academic hospitals.

Even if they were making 300, not sure if it would be enough for me to stomach that job. Want to feel a lack of appreciation, step into their shoes for a few days...

We don't get exposure until 4th year (I'm nearing the end of my 3rd year). By the time I do an elective, it will be too late to decide.

Run down to the OR and talk to the anesthesiologists during your current rotation. See if you can come in and work with them on a weekend. I did that during OB/GYN and they taught me a little about vent settings and even let me do a couple of intubations. I was already pretty sure I wanted to do anesthesiology, but working with them for a few days helped confirm it.

Is this for real? I thought they were in the 150-200 range.

Really? I have a several friends taking some time off between residency and fellowship working as hospitalists, and none of them are even sniffing 250. Most are 220-230 at community hospitals, lower (170-200 and working more) at academic hospitals.

Even if they were making 300, not sure if it would be enough for me to stomach that job. Want to feel a lack of appreciation, step into their shoes for a few days...

Not in large cities like NYC.. but outside of those. The demand for hospitalists is very high.

People on here keep citing this, but low salary compared to what? Surgical subspecialties?

If you're okay with living in a rural area, those hospitalists make quite a bit more.

General surgery makes about same as anesthesiology but as salary drops for anesthesiology, general surgery is making a bit more i believe. Now of course the surgical specialties make more, and there are a lot of them (ENt, plastics, urology, neurosurgery, optho/retina, ortho..), and then there are high paying IM specialties (GI, cards), radiology, rad onc, etc.. Per hour base EM makes a lot more than anesthesiology too