MS1s! Summer PM&R opportunities! some are paid

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oreosandsake

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Columbia (too late late to apply this year)
http://www.cumc.columbia.edu/dept/rehab/research/lieberman_fellowship.html

DESCRIPTION OF FELLOWSHIP
James S. Lieberman, M.D.
Summer Fellowship for P&S Medical Student
(Between 1st and 2nd year)
July to August
Stipend Amount: $3,300
The Department of Rehabilitation Medicine is proud to present the James S. Lieberman, M.D. Summer Fellowship.
The Summer Fellow is a full-time appointment for the summer months and will be under the direct supervision of the Columbia faculty. Eligible candidates are P&S students between their 1stand 2nd year of medical school interested in gaining clinical research training in physical medicine and rehabilitation and neurology, with an emphasis on stroke.
Program Description

The Departments of Rehabilitation Medicine and Neurology at the Columbia University Medical Center will train the fellow under the direction of Dr. Brenda Mallory of Rehabilitation Medicine and Dr. John Krakauer of Neurology
The Fellowship intends that the student obtain insight into modern scientific approaches to the study and treatment of recovery after brain injury from stroke. Research methods will include motor psychophysics and functional brain imaging. The student will also interact with patients in the clinical setting. It is expected that the fellow will partake in a specific project that is either new or ongoing.
Clinical Experience

The Fellow will spend time in the clinical stroke rehabilitation services at the CUMC, in both inpatient and outpatient settings. They will learn about the management of spasticity including injection of botulinum toxin, familiarization with the orthotic and wheelchair management of the stroke patient, and interaction with the interdisciplinary inpatient stroke treatment team.
Research Experience

The student will join the Motor Performance Lab in the Neurological Institute and will become involved in research projects related to motor recovery after stroke. We expect that patients for such studies will be recruited through the both the Departments of Neurology and Rehabilitation.
If you are interested in applying for the James S. Lieberman, M.D. Summer Fellowship, please send a letter requesting an application by mail, fax or email to:
Ms. Viviana Peña
Executive Assistant to the Chair
Department of Rehabilitation Medicine
Columbia University Medical Center
180 Fort Washington Avenue, Suite 165
New York, NY 10032
212-305-4818(W)
212-305-3138(F)
[email protected]
Applications will be due no later than December 31 each year and notification of award status will be sent out during the Spring.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
IUSM DEPARTMENT of PHYSICAL MEDICINE and REHABILITATION
Posting Date: November 19, 2008
DEADLINE: Until Positions filled
Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation (PM&R) is an exciting, interesting field that is growing rapidly across the country. We are currently offering (3) one-month scholarship positions (beginning with May, June and July) for this coming 2009 summer. This would be for a one-month time period with a $500 stipend. Your duties would basically be to observe one of our faculty members in day-to-day clinical activity and help out as needed and as applicable for your skill level. This will give you a greater exposure to what I consider a wonderful specialty and let you know a little bit more about what we in PM&R do on a day-to-day basis. We are offering three such positions (one each month), which will be limited to the top three candidates.
If you are interested in applying, please contact my office and enclose a one to two page letter describing why you should be selected for this position.
Please send your information to:
Cyndi Herrera
Residency Coordinator
Indiana University School of Medicine
Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation
Ph# 317-278-0200
Fax# 317-278-0206

Thank you for your interest in Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation. If you have questions, please also contact Cyndi Herrera.

http://www.med.uc.edu/pmr/department/medstudents.html

Information for Medical Students

Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
header_ingot.gif

College of Medicine Visiting Students Information & Application
Summer Extern Program Application
Externship Information

We are sorry to announce that our summer externship program will not be available this year. However, for those who are interested, please check back next year.
Our summer externship consists of three, two-week rotations. During this time, the externs will be exposed to a variety of clinical activities in adult and pediatric Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation. This clinical exposure will allow the externs to learn about the field of PM&R and acquire history and physical examination skills. They will also be exposed to clinical research through an in depth investigation of an area of their interest and the design of a proposed research study with the help of a faculty mentor.
As you may be aware, our program offers an excellent selection of clinical sites at which the externs will rotate including:
  1. Drake Center, a 356-bed long-term acute care hospital that offers a comprehensive continuum of rehabilitative care for patients at every stage of the recovery process. At Drake, our faculty offer many specialized services through which externs can rotate, including: dedicated inpatient units for spinal cord injury and neurological rehabilitation, consultations, a spasticity management clinic, electromyography, and a dedicated research laboratory.
  2. Cincinnati Children's Hospital Medical Center (CCHMC) consistently ranked as one of the Top 10 children's hospitals in the country and the largest pediatric research program in the Midwest. The Division of Pediatric Rehabilitation at CCHMC is the largest in the country with 5 full time double-boarded physicians, a research psychologist and over $3.5 million dollars in federally funded research grants in the past 5 years. The externs will have the opportunity to be exposed to a busy inpatient unit and 10 different specialized outpatient clinics while at CCHMC. This is also one of only a handful of programs in the country offering a dual certification program in both pediatrics and physical medicine and rehabilitation.
  3. University Hospital, consistently named as one of "America's Best Hospitals" by U.S. News and World Report, is a level-1 trauma center with 665 beds and two trauma helicopters that serve a 150-mile radius. The Department of PM&R provides a busy consultation service at University Hospital and is actively involved in the internationally recognized Neuroscience Institute.
The University of Cincinnati stands among the top 25 public research universities in the United States with more than $330 million in research funding. As such, the externs will have an opportunity to experience a wide variety of exciting clinical and research programs and state of the art technology including one of the country’s finest gait laboratories; two neuroimaging centers with functional magnetic resonance imaging and transcranial magnetic stimulation capabilities.
If you wish to obtain more information about this program, or our residency program, please fill out the program form or contact Mary Duke, Academic Program Manager, at (513)558-7635 or at [email protected].

Members don't see this ad :)
Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago (app due in <10 days!)
http://www.feinberg.northwestern.edu/depts/pmr/medical-students/extninfo10.html
Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine/
Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago
2010 Summer Extern Experience
June 7 - July 30, 2010​

This is an eight-week Summer Externship program, sponsored by the Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation of Northwestern University Medical School. The externship program is held at the Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago (RIC), located in downtown Chicago at the McGaw Medical Center.
This program offers a unique and early clinical exposure related to the care of persons with acute and chronic disabilities for comprehensive rehabilitation. Primarily, students will assist in the clinical management of patients admitted to RIC. In addition, students will participate in a research project in a rehabilitation related field. There will be ongoing didactic and in-service efforts directed at the M1-M2 student level.
This year’s Extern Program will begin on June 7, 2009 and continue through July 30, 2010.
Each student will spend two, four-week rotations on separate inpatient rehabilitation services and have the opportunity to observe and participate in related clinical activities. By the end of the externship, each student is expected to write a research paper and present his/her project to the extern group and invited departmental faculty. Each student will be awarded a $3,000 stipend for participation in this 8-week program.
In previous years, students from many LCME (allopathic) and AOA (osteopathic) accredited medical schools across the United States have participated in this program. We have enjoyed the diverse medical school representation by students in this program, and we encourage any student (who is between their 1st and 2nd years of medical school) to apply. There are a limited number of available positions, so applicants are encouraged to apply immediately each year.
The Summer Externship Program has consistently provided a rewarding and enjoyable experience for medical students. Please direct all questions to the Medical Education Office at (312) 238-2870 or please fax us at (312) 238-1219. We look forward to hearing from interested students.
The deadline for receiving application materials for the 2010 Summer Extern program is January 8, 2010.

Solid work oreo. Where did all these programs come up??? This is awesome! Glad to see there are more options now than a few years ago.

I wonder if they'll ever restart that Cincy program...

Rehabilitation Research Experience For Medical Students
(RREMS)
2010 Scholarship Program

The Association of Academic Physiatrists (AAP) and the Foundation for PM&R are excited to announce the third year of a new scholarship program, the Rehabilitation Research Experience for Medical Students (RREMS). This program is now being offered to allow first year medical students to experience the rewards of scholarly research within the specialty of Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation through an eight-week summer externship.

http://www.physiatry.org/Research_Section.cfm

Anyone interested in M1-4 rotations at Virginia Commonwealth University in Richmond. Here's a good link.

http://www.pmr.vcu.edu/residency/med_student_info.aspx

We have a very active medical student interest group and lots of M1 and M2s coming around. Drop Dr. Mckinley and email and he will help you set something up.

Are these programs available, for the most part, every year? That would be amazing! I only knew about the RIC one.

not sure about the cincinatti program, but the others should be annual.

I would check with Cincinatti's program directly. However, in my communications with the program they have no intention of carrying program forward.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am an incoming medical student, and was interested in applying to several of these externships. While I haven't had the chance to shadow a physiatrist yet, the philosophy around PM&R seems to correlate with what I hope to accomplish as a physician. I know this is early to start thinking about since I haven't even started medical school, but is there anything that I can do to increase the competitiveness of my application for these programs? It looks like the applications open up at the end of the year, so that doesnt seem like a lot of time to build up your resume. Should I try to shadow a couple physiatrists or get involved with research in my first semester? Thanks for your help

Tallion,

I'm actually an AZCOM grad in PM&R. Congrats on getting into med school! There is a PM&R club at AZCOM that I believe is pretty active. It's never too soon to start getting exposure to the field. Are you from Arizona?

Tallion,

I'm actually an AZCOM grad in PM&R. Congrats on getting into med school! There is a PM&R club at AZCOM that I believe is pretty active. It's never too soon to start getting exposure to the field. Are you from Arizona?

Thanks! I'm from Texas, but I'll be moving out to Glendale in July. I'll have to check into the PM&R club when I get campus. PM&R looks really interesting and the externships seem to be a great chance to get early exposure to the field. I imagine they are fairly competitive; so anything I can do make my application look better I want to be involved in =)

http://www.physiatry.org/Education_mSSCE_front.cfm

Medical Student Summer Clinical Externship (MSSCE)
2012 SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAM

INTRODUCTION
The Association of Academic Physiatrists (AAP) is excited to announce a new opportunity for medical students - the Medical Student Summer Clinical Externship (MSSCE.) MSSCE has been developed for medical students with a strong desire for clinical experience in the field of Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation (PM&R) and who are eagerly seeking opportunities to see patients. This program aims to provide a wide range of inpatient and outpatient clinical exposure and to allow students to explore the human side of patient care and the psychosocial environments their patients face.
OVERVIEW
There is an ongoing and growing shortage of physicians who specialize in the care of people with disabilities. This summer clerkship aims to address this situation by providing an exposure to the field of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation early in future physicians' careers (the summer between first and second years of medical school.) The AAP hopes to provide excellent role models in the field of PM&R to the participating students in this program.
This eight week experience will take place in July and August between the first and second year of medical school. MSSCE woud like to attract students who hunger for clinical exposure and opportunities to examine patients.
Applicants: We are seeking applicants from all American allopathic and osteopathic medical schools. Applicants should submit their grades, MCAT scores, an essay and a letter of recommendation to the selection committee.
Sites: PM&R departments with strong educational programs for students, residents and fellows, and which show dedication to teaching endeavors are encouraged to apply. Each site will be required to designate a clinician-educator to serve as mentor/site director. The site must be able to provide excellent inpatient and outpatient clinical experiences for one or two students each summer.
Didactics: The program will develop a web-based curriculum, using the educational software, BlackboardTM, which will post relevant articles or chapters. Students will be required to read this material and review it with their site mentor weekly. The student will also receive hands-on training in clinical interviewing and physical exam skills.
Clinical Experiences: Each site will provide the student with a range of clinical experiences, to be approximately 50% inpatient and 50% outpatient. This could be set up by inpatient or outpatient months, or by mixing the experiences on a daily or weekly basis. The student should not only shadow PM&R physicians during this time, but also be given at least one inpatient and one outpatient to follow on a longitudinal basis during the eight weeks. The student should be expected to see that patient in each therapy discipline (PT, OT, SLP, psychology), and to interact with the patient’s family as well. The student should be given some choice in the subspecialty clinical area(s) in which s/he is to rotate, but should be exposed to at least two or three different subspecialties (e.g., pediatric rehab, stroke, spinal cord, chronic pain.)
Simulation exercise:Each student will be required to spend a day in a wheelchair, or a similar simulated disability. The student will experience the physical and psychosocial barriers associated with this.
Mentorship: This program will foster a close relationship between the student and the site mentor. The mentor will be required to meet with the student 1:1 at least one hour each week. During this meeting, the mentor will de-brief the student on his/her clinical activities that week, and try to put those experiences in context. The mentor will also review the weekly readings from the website. Most importantly, the mentor will serve as a role model, emphasizing the professionalism that permeates the physiatric community.
Journal:Each student will be required to submit a journal at the end of the externship, which will detail their experiences. More importantly, it will serve as a conduit in which to distill how those experiences will influence their future careers.
GOALS
MSSCE will allow young, upcoming physicians to personally experience the excellence and importance of PM&R. By participating in the MSSCE program, students will learn the basic skills, attitudes, and behaviors required in a clinical setting and will have the opportunity to develop familiarity with the special needs of the physiatrist, both as an introduction to those disciplines and as a means of developing the skills necessary to recognize, treat and/or refer patients who present with conditions requiring the expertise of PM&R physicians.

MSSCE will also serve to enhance the visibility of the specialty of Physiatry in medical schools and potentially attract top students to the field of PM&R.
MSSCE is designed to be a mutually beneficial experience for both the medical student and the hosting site institution. The site institutions, in return for sponsoring a medical student, are provided the opportunity to establish relationships with highly motivated medical students who may be candidates for future residency programs or additional leadership training pathways.
REQUIREMENTS
The MSSCE program will entail an eight-week summer externship following the first year of medical school with an attached stipend of $4,000. Students will contact participating host institutions and establish a primary mentor. Students will then submit an application for the externship detailing their host PM&R department, primary mentor, desire to develop clinical skills in the field of PM&R and interest in participating in the program. Each student is expected to submit a case report for presentation at the next AAP Annual Meeting. The contribution by the hosting PM&R Department would be to agree to support the travel and registration of the trainee to the AAP Annual Meeting to allow students to present their case report, observe scientific paper presentations, network with residents and leaders in the field of PM&R, and to meet additional mentors.

EVALUATION
Evaluation and feedback would be achieved through: 1) a completed case report during the externship; 2) a written evaluation by the hosting PM&R Department; and 3) a completed questionnaire by the student detailing the experience. Each student would be expected to submit a case report for presentation at the AAP Annual Meeting. Medical students participating in MSSCE would be followed to determine if they chose PM&R for residency and how their careers develop.

This program is generously supported by the the Roosevelt Warm Springs Foundation, Please see the application forms for specific rules and requirements. We look forward to receiving your applications.

Rehabilitation Research Experience For Medical Students
(RREMS)
2010 Scholarship Program

The Association of Academic Physiatrists (AAP) and the Foundation for PM&R are excited to announce the third year of a new scholarship program, the Rehabilitation Research Experience for Medical Students (RREMS). This program is now being offered to allow first year medical students to experience the rewards of scholarly research within the specialty of Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation through an eight-week summer externship.

http://www.physiatry.org/Research_Section.cfm

Thanks for posting all this great stuff - I have a question about this one in particular.

I'm a first year MD/MPH student, and the summer after MS1, I need to complete a public health preceptorship. We have some set up through our school, but we are also able to set them up independently and try to get them approved if we choose. The preceptorship obviously has to be public health related, but I'm thinking I could come up with something that could possibly fit both the program and that public health need. For example (random and really quick brainstorm), developing a checklist to identify appropriate discharge location (independent vs supportive, etc.) (I'm not up on the literature at all.. so bear with me :)).

Do you have any ideas on the matter? Or would you recommend just getting in touch with someone affiliated with the program?

Thanks in advance

Thanks for posting all this great stuff - I have a question about this one in particular.

I'm a first year MD/MPH student, and the summer after MS1, I need to complete a public health preceptorship. We have some set up through our school, but we are also able to set them up independently and try to get them approved if we choose. The preceptorship obviously has to be public health related, but I'm thinking I could come up with something that could possibly fit both the program and that public health need. For example (random and really quick brainstorm), developing a checklist to identify appropriate discharge location (independent vs supportive, etc.) (I'm not up on the literature at all.. so bear with me :)).

Do you have any ideas on the matter? Or would you recommend just getting in touch with someone affiliated with the program?

Thanks in advance

I think that it is completely reasonable to develop a research project that is in the realm of public health. This is still in the early stages, and host institutions are still applying to participate. If your program has a PM&R department I would start with having them apply. You should also start brainstorming possible projects. I can share with you a project that I have worked on in the past, is portable, and easily adapted to your needs.

good luck! please let me know how you progress with this :)

Does anyone have an idea of the competition level for the RIC externship? If you don't have research experience in rehab is it still worth it to apply?

For anyone who has done it, could I pick your brain on the experience? PM me if you prefer.

I didn't do the externship but did my residency there. Not having a research background will not hurt you. I think the personal statement is a big factor so make sure to have someone proof it for you. They are generally looking for well-rounded applicants.

Hello, all. I am currently an MS1 who will be doing an research externship at RIC this summer doing a project on chronic pain (not as part of the RIC program itself). I have been looking for grants similar to the RREMS from the AAP, but haven't had much luck. Can anyone point me towards any other grant opportunities?

Any news on RIC externship? They said decisions will be made by the end of January... well that's today. haha. I just want to lock down my summer plans soon!

Any news from previous applicants to the RIC on how long it takes to hear back? The application deadline was January 2 and all it says online is that they will make decisions "shortly after".

http://www.physiatry.org/?page=programs_RREMS

Rehabilitation Research Experience for Medical Students (RREMS)

Overview

The Association of Academic Physiatrists (AAP) and the Foundation for PM&R are excited to announce the annual Rehabilitation Research Experience for Medical Students (RREMS). This program offers first year medical students to experience the rewards of scholarly research within the specialty of Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation through an eight-week summer externship.

Applications for site sponsors and medical students must be received at the AAP office by the first week of March (site sponsors) or the first week of April (medical students) each year.

Background

Significant strides have been made in recent years in increasing research capacity and academic leadership through programs such as the Rehabilitation Medical Scientist Training Program (RMSTP) and the Program for Academic Leadership (PAL) initiated by the Association of Academic Physiatrists and funded respectively by the National Institutes of Health and the Roosevelt Warm Springs Foundation. These programs aim to train highly qualified residents and junior faculty as academicians, researchers, and leaders in our field. Until now, there has been no equivalent program that targets medical students.

RREMS

The RREMS has been developed for medical students with strong research interests. This program will provide an exciting and structured research experience while exposing the medical student to some of the most successful and respected faculty mentors in the field of PM&R. This program will also benefit institutions that sponsor students by attracting a more academically oriented cadre into the field and into additional leadership training pathways. RREMS will also serve to enhance visibility of PM&R in medical schools and provide sponsor institutions with a means of establishing relationships with highly motivated and academically oriented medical students who may be candidates for future residency programs, the RMSTP, or the PAL program.

The RREMS will entail a minimum of an eight-week summer externship following the first year of medical school with an attached stipend of $4,000. The program will fund up to six medical students each summer. Students will contact participating host institutions, establish a primary mentor, and submit a proposal project. Each student is expected to submit a research paper for entry into the AAP Best Medical Student Paper Competition after completion of the externship and will present on their work at the next Annual Assembly. The contribution by the hosting PM&R Department would be to agree to support the travel and registration of the trainee to the AAP Annual Meeting to allow students to present their research, observe scientific paper presentations, network with participants in the current PAL and RMSTP programs, and to meet additional mentors.

This program is generously supported by the Ernest W. Johnson Fund, the Foundation for PM&R, and the AAP. Please see the application forms for specific rules and requirements. We look forward to receiving your applications.

Reactions: 1 user
http://www.physiatry.org/?page=MSSCE_StudenrInst

Medical Student Summer Clinical Externship (MSSCE)

MEDICAL STUDENT APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS
Please read these instructions carefully. Click on the link to the Online Application or scroll down to access the form.

1. Complete the Online Application form.

2. Make sure to include the following documents in the the application package in the stated order.

• Personal Statement - Students must submit a 1-2 page personal statement explaining interest in clinical exposure to PM&R.
  • CV or Resume - The curriculum vitae should include prior degrees and institutions attended, undergraduate grade point average and MCAT scores.
  • Letter of Recommendation - Please submit only 1 letter of recommendation with your application. This should be submitted electronically with your application.
3. Scan or combine all materials in the above order into a single .pdf file. Name them in the following way: SmithM_2016.

4. No applications will be accepted after the deadline.

Please email AAP Member Services Manager Amy Schnappinger at [email protected] with any questions.

Reactions: 1 user