MS-III (future EM resident) with previous PharmD, is toxicology a sensible rout

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheDudeMD

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have a previous PharmD/MBA and am currently in 3rd year of med school, and am very set on doing EM residency. I've been meaning to research life as a "toxicologist" but info on day-to-day life is surprisingly sparse. I think it's because the title "toxicologist" is a bit nebulous? I don't know.

So I have this dream of being an EM physician who also gets consulted on tox cases. Does this kind of job even exist? I'm definitely not interested in my primary job doing research, but I like the idea of punctuating my day-to-day life of EM with consultation on bizarre tox cases. Tell me if this job exists or if I'm in dreamland, feel free to ridicule/educate me for being naive :) Thanks!

Edit: I look like an idiot for misspelling "route". Typo I swear.

Members don't see this ad.

So I have this dream of being an EM physician who also gets consulted on tox cases. Does this kind of job even exist? I'm definitely not interested in my primary job doing research, but I like the idea of punctuating my day-to-day life of EM with consultation on bizarre tox cases. Tell me if this job exists or if I'm in dreamland, feel free to ridicule/educate me for being naive :) Thanks!

This is pretty much what most medical toxicologists do. As most of us are primarily EM-trained, we work clinical shifts in the ED while providing toxicology services on consultation (some medical centers have tox as a primary service, as well).

As to your original question, though, as you already have at least 6-7 years invested in other degrees (PharmD + MBA), you may want to look at the costs of another 2 year fellowship... depending on what you did with your PharmD you may be able to sit for the ABAT exam - the pharmacy equivalent to Med Tox Boards.

Cheers!
-d

EDIT: most days aren't bizarre ingestions... much is the bread & butter ingestions

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

This is pretty much what most medical toxicologists do. As most of us are primarily EM-trained, we work clinical shifts in the ED while providing toxicology services on consultation (some medical centers have tox as a primary service, as well).

As to your original question, though, as you already have at least 6-7 years invested in other degrees (PharmD + MBA), you may want to look at the costs of another 2 year fellowship... depending on what you did with your PharmD you may be able to sit for the ABAT exam - the pharmacy equivalent to Med Tox Boards.

Cheers!
-d

EDIT: most days aren't bizarre ingestions... much is the bread & butter ingestions

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Nice! Will definitely look into ABAT. Thank you! :)

I'm fine with the bread and butter.