MPH Fall 2017: Applied, Accepted, Waitlisted, Rejected!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does it say "Pay Admission Deposit" on your OPUS home page? That will also usually change before the letter is available. I forgot about that part!

It is asking me to pay $300...I'm guessing that is only available to people who are accepted?

Members don't see this ad.

It is asking me to pay $300...I'm guessing that is only available to people who are accepted?

Yes, If it has that then you are definitely in! Your letter should show up in OPUS in a few days!

SWEET! Just accepted for GLEPI. Geez, that was such a process!!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Did anyone have a phone interview for Dartmouth's MPH? I just got an email to schedule one and I'd like some insight on what to expect.

Did anyone have a phone interview for Dartmouth's MPH? I just got an email to schedule one and I'd like some insight on what to expect.

It's very relaxed. A staff member/alum will ask you some questions about your background and future goals to assess if you're a good fit for the program. Just be honest and you'll be fine. :)

I need Advice! I am applying to MPH programs in healthcare administration next year. I need help deciding what schools to apply to. Are there any schools that I am considered a strong applicant when applying to or am I a stretch at most places?

Undergrad School: Oregon State University
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.1
Major/Minor:
BioHealth Science/ Public Health
GRE : Planning on taking it this summer

Experience/Research:

-Member of society of healthcare administrators on campus
-Member of society of healthcare executives on campus
-Volunteer youth sports coach for a term
-planning on volunteering at a local veterans hospital this summer.

PreHealthGuy, Monday at 8:47 AM
Edit Report Post to Moderator

*UPDATED*
I wanted to wait to hear back from schools before I posted this. This is for all the people in the future with a low GPA- anything can happen!

Undergrad School: U of Minnesota
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 2.749/3.2
Major/Minor: BS Psychology, Minors: Stats and Bio
GradGPA (if applicable): N/A
Grad Studies (if applicable): N/A
GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable): 3/31/17; Q-162, V- 157, W- 4.5
Experience/Research (please, be brief): 1st Author of Abstract (Research for 2.5+ Years in Echo Lab)
Special factors???
- Volunteer at a Crisis Center for 1.5 Years
- Intern at a Crisis Center for half a year
- High up positions of multiple student groups (President, Treasurer, Regional Representative)
- LORs from Senior Project Professor, Research Coordinator, and Intern Supervisor
- I put passion and heart into my Personal Statement

Interested in: Global Health/Behavioral Health/Mental Health
Applied: King's College London (MSc in Global Mental Health), U of Glasgow (MSc in Global Mental Health), Johns Hopkins (MHS in Mental Health), USF (MSPH), and MPH at BU, NYU, Tulane, U of MN, Claremont, Pitt, Emory, U of MD- College Park, U of TX- Houston, Colorado
Accepted: U of Glasgow, Emory, U of MD, Colorado, Claremont, USF (MPH and MSPH), BU, Pitt, Tulane, NYU
Rejected: King's College London, UT, MN, JH
Waitlisted: N/A
Attending: Emory- MPH in Global Health

I haven't heard back from the other schools, but Emory was my first choice, so I'm happy to be going there! This is to show that your GPA isn't everything, and if you really want something, it is reachable :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Hey everyone, hope the deposit day was smooth and went well. Does anyone know what the timeframe is for waitlisted students after the deposit day has passed? Thanks for the help, and congratulations for all the acceptances and decisions.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey everyone, hope the deposit day was smooth and went well. Does anyone know what the timeframe is for waitlisted students after the deposit day has passed? Thanks for the help, and congratulations for all the acceptances and decisions.

I have the same issue. I got waitlisted at NYU and I know since the deposit day passed, what is the timeframe of hearing back? It makes me so anxious to be on waitlist because you never even know when you will hear back haha

I have the same issue. I got waitlisted at NYU and I know since the deposit day passed, what is the timeframe of hearing back? It makes me so anxious to be on waitlist because you never even know when you will hear back haha

It definitely is a strange feeling. I've been on waitlist since January at Yale and just wanted to see if anyone has any experience/insight with the process and how it works after the April 15th. I hope you'll get positive news from NYU, sooner than later.

It definitely is a strange feeling. I've been on waitlist since January at Yale and just wanted to see if anyone has any experience/insight with the process and how it works after the April 15th. I hope you'll get positive news from NYU, sooner than later.

They will give you a new deadline, my roommate just got off the waitlist at Columbia and have about 2 weeks to let them know. The length of time probably depends on the school, but you do get a new deadline.

In your waitlist letter they also should have given you a final deadline that they would let you know by. Other than that there's no real timeline, it just depends on spots that are open and who (from regular admissions and from the waitlist) declines.

Hello,
I am still waiting to hear back from a few schools. I was curious if other students were still waiting to hear back from Boston and Columbia? Also, if you were accepted, how long was your turn around time.

I wanted to wait to hear back from schools before I posted this. This is for all the people in the future with a low GPA- anything can happen!

Undergrad School: U of Minnesota
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 2.749/3.2
Major/Minor: BS Psychology, Minors: Stats and Bio
GradGPA (if applicable): N/A
Grad Studies (if applicable): N/A
GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable): 3/31/17; Q-162, V- 157, W- 4.5
Experience/Research (please, be brief): 1st Author of Abstract (Research for 2.5+ Years in Echo Lab)
Special factors???
- Volunteer at a Crisis Center for 1.5 Years
- Intern at a Crisis Center for half a year
- High up positions of multiple student groups (President, Treasurer, Regional Representative)
- LORs from Senior Project Professor, Research Coordinator, and Intern Supervisor
- I put passion and heart into my Personal Statement

Interested in: Global Health/Behavioral Health/Mental Health
Applied: King's College London (MSc in Global Mental Health), U of Glasgow (MSc in Global Mental Health), Johns Hopkins (MHS in Mental Health), USF (MSPH), and MPH at BU, NYU, Tulane, U of MN, Claremont, Pitt, Emory, U of MD- College Park, U of TX- Houston, Colorado
Accepted: U of Glasgow, Emory, U of MD, Colorado
Rejected: King's College London, UT
Waitlisted: N/A
Attending: Emory- MPH in Global Health

I haven't heard back from the other schools, but Emory was my first choice, so I'm happy to be going there! This is to show that your GPA isn't everything, and if you really want something, it is reachable :)

What is your updated list for Accepted/ rejected/ waitlisted? I am just curious because I have similar stats.

Members don't see this ad :)
I submitted my SOPHAS application today!!

Undergrad School: Top 5 liberal arts college, 2012 grad
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.4, according to SOPHAS. Lower division is 3.15, upper is 3.64. I don't know my major GPA as my school took a somewhat alternative grading approach.
Major/Minor: Biology (General) / Educational Studies
GradGPA: 3.81 (I agree with SOPHAS on this), which puts my overall SOPHAS GPA at 3.5
Grad Studies: earned Masters in Education through an alternative program at a large public university, 2013 grad
GRE: 168V (98th percentile), 155Q (59th percentile), 5.5AW (98th percentile), taken May 2016

Experience/Research
:
- in college: program coordinator for sexual assault prevention program, student-athlete with many leadership positions, several campus jobs
- grad school: 1 year AmeriCorps service teaching middle school science in an urban district
- professional: taught middle & high school science in an urban district for 3.5 school years, including 2 years designing and teaching a public health class to grades 10-12. By the time I matriculate, will have taught middle school health for a year in a suburban district.

LORS: 1 undergrad professor (my adviser, I did ~1 year Educational Studies research with her), 1 grad professor/student teaching supervisor, 1 professional mentor

Special factors
- openly queer and transgender; interested in LGBTQ health specifically

Interested in: I applied only to community and behavioral health programs, but I am also interested in epidemiology of infectious disease (HIV), sexual/reproductive health, and biostat as it applies to those fields. My ultimate goal is to work in a community health setting that seeks to improve the mental, physical, and sexual health of transgender youth. I am not very interested in academic or research at this time, but it's possible that one day I'll continue to a PhD or DrPH.
Applied: Tufts, Harvard, Drexel, Buffalo, Pitt, Minnesota, Colorado on 9/22. SOPHAS verified my transcripts and application on 9/29. Brown on 10/18.
Accepted: Pitt (11/11), Buffalo (11/14 +3k), Minnesota (12/20, & +12k on 2/21), Tufts (1/11), Drexel (1/28, +34k fellowship), Colorado (2/3), Harvard (2/16), Brown (4/4 + 25% off tuition = ~21k)
Rejected: none :D
Waitlisted: none

Going to Brown!!

It ended up being a hugely difficult choice between Brown and Drexel, but some personal/family business swayed me in Brown's direction. I am a little jealous of the people going to Drexel and definitely wish I could somehow attend both programs.

Soooo glad this whole thing is over. Thanks to everyone for the support and encouragement throughout this process!

Reactions: 5 users
Hello everyone! Congratulations to everyone who has been accepted into their prospective program. For those who are still waiting, hold in there and best of luck. I have finally made a decision after months of deliberation and decided to accept UC Berkeley's offer. The only bummer is that I did not receive any funding. Has anyone who got into Cal received funding?

Reactions: 1 users
Hey all! A little late here, but anyone accepted to Claremont University's MPH program? Trying to figure out the housing situation! Any advice / input would be appreciated!

I already heard back from Berkeley but still waiting on NYU too. But there's still hope, I didn't hear back from UCLA until last week and I got in. Good Luck!

I just heard back from NYU and got in! Hope you get good news as well :) It was my dream undergrad and I got rejected so kind of nice to get in this second time around. I will declining though because I already committed somewhere else that better matches my interests!

Hey all! A little late here, but anyone accepted to Claremont University's MPH program? Trying to figure out the housing situation! Any advice / input would be appreciated!
I've been accepted! I know that they have graduate housing available that you can live in.

I need Advice! I am applying to MPH programs in healthcare administration next year. I need help deciding what schools to apply to. Are there any schools that I am considered a strong applicant when applying to or am I a stretch at most places?

Undergrad School: Oregon State University
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.1
Major/Minor:
BioHealth Science/ Public Health
GRE : Planning on taking it this summer

Experience/Research:

-Member of society of healthcare administrators on campus
-Member of society of healthcare executives on campus
-Volunteer youth sports coach for a term
-planning on volunteering at a local veterans hospital this summer.

PreHealthGuy, Monday at 8:47 AM
Edit Report Post to Moderator

It's difficult to say with any certainty what schools you're competitive for without a GRE score. I would start taking practice tests for the GRE and using those scores to compare yourself to some of the other posters on this forum and seeing what schools they got into. That would probably give you the best idea of what schools you are a strong applicant for.

Also, I would suggest trying to get more public health experience in. You mention that you're planning on volunteering at a local veterans' hospital this summer, but what exactly will you be doing? Is it related to public health/healthcare administration in some way, or is it fetching blankets and ice chips for patients? Depending on where you are, you could have a local branch of the Medical Reserve Corps. The MRC is a really excellent way to get in some public/community health experience and connect to your own community. Plus, some of the faculty and staff of MPH programs I talked to are MRC members as well, so they really hold the program in high esteem. Feel free to message me if you want to talk more about it! :)

I just heard back from NYU and got in! Hope you get good news as well :) It was my dream undergrad and I got rejected so kind of nice to get in this second time around. I will declining though because I already committed somewhere else that better matches my interests!
Congrats, glad you got in! I finally heard back from NYU and got in as well! But I will also likely be attending a different school in the fall.

What is your updated list for Accepted/ rejected/ waitlisted? I am just curious because I have similar stats.
Hey! I have been editing and updating the same post as I go! I'm still waiting to here back from a few, but I just updated so you can check now :)

I've been accepted! I know that they have graduate housing available that you can live in.
Congrats on the acceptance! Do you have any tips on where to rent apartments around the area? Apparrently campus housing is 'limited'; I'm from NY, so I'm completely unfamiliar with the area!

I got waitlisted a little over 2 weeks ago to the NYU MPH/MSW dual degree program. Anyone have a rough timeframe on when I might hear back? Or what my chances are of getting off the waitlist?

Is anyone else still waiting on their physical acceptance package from Emory? I was accepted back in March and I still haven't received mine yet :(

Is anyone else still waiting on their physical acceptance package from Emory? I was accepted back in March and I still haven't received mine yet :(
I got a Fed-Ex tracking number when they sent it out! It was sent to my email that I applied with. If you you didn't get anything like that, you may want to check in with them :)

When did you get accepted on Opus? I'm probably going to shoot an e-mail over by the end of the month :D

I think it was around March 30th. I've been thinking about emailing, I just don't really know who to email. o_O

I've recently been waitlisted for Emory's MPH program because they said their class was full. Does anyone know what the process is for getting off the waitlist or more so the possibility of getting off the waitlist?

I've recently been waitlisted for Emory's MPH program because they said their class was full. Does anyone know what the process is for getting off the waitlist or more so the possibility of getting off the waitlist?

I was originally waitlisted at Emory, I'm off now, but its really just a waiting game. There's not really anything you can do to add to your application at this point, so it depends mostly on space. If they are full, then someone would have to defer or decline for you to get in, which does happen, but how likely it is depends a lot on how many people do that and how many people are waitlisted with you. I wouldn't count on it for this year, if I were you, but maybe someone else has more knowledge about how often people decline after the response date.

I was accepted at the end of march and I haven't received my package either. I called admissions this week and I was never added to the mailing list :/. They added me and said I should receive my package next week. So I would definitely call/email!
I just sent an email! Thanks for the tip! :)

Yeah same but they send it through FedEx, and if you are on their mailing list, you'll receive an e-mail from FedEx giving you the details about your package and the tracking ID. I was accepted back in March and got this e-mail only a few days ago so don't worry :)

Congrats on the acceptance! Do you have any tips on where to rent apartments around the area? Apparrently campus housing is 'limited'; I'm from NY, so I'm completely unfamiliar with the area!
Thanks you too! So it depends if you want to commute. Claremont is a pretty small city but there are plenty of apartment complexes to live in. I'm actually planning on living in Pasadena which is about 25-30 min away. Have you looked at these apartments? Claremont Collegiate Apartments | Student Housing If you have any questions feel free to message me! :)

Anyone still waiting on Columbia?

Anyone else excited and nervous about school?

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Tulane, Texas A&M or Icahn (all epi) accepted. Hard decision, which do i accept? Can anyone help? I am not from the US and would appreciate any advise. Thank you.

Tulane, Texas A&M or Icahn (all epi) accepted. Hard decision, which do i accept? Can anyone help? I am not from the US and would appreciate any advise. Thank you.
Tulane is a great school when it comes to Epi and is a school specialized in Tropical medicine.

Anyone else excited and nervous about school?

I'm choosing LSHTM Masters Epi program over Biostats at lesser known schools. I am super excited for school and London but I hope I don't regret choosing school prestige vs the more practical degree. End goal is to be a health data scientist at the PhD level so I'll have more education later.

Thoughts on UF and USF's online MPH programs?
How competitive are they? I can't really find any admission stats online.
I am interested in applying to an online program for multiple reasons, mainly being that I'd like to start in spring and that I would like to continue working at my current location through school.

After 4 months Tulane finally accepted me :yawn: ya snooze ya lose!

Reactions: 1 users
Sure thing! I don't know how helpful I'll be given that I haven't started yet, but I'll do my best! :)
Hi little information about stanford epidemiology in forum. I wonder how long it takes for admission decision from Stanford to arrive. I applied in early April.

Hi everyone,

I'm waiting for responses. I'm an IMG from Mexico, did some research assistance during medical school, and I'm currently in epidemiology and doing research project at the moment. Have three publications, but they're only a case studies and two literature reviews. GRE is 165 Verbal, 157 Quant, 5.0 Writing.

I'm applying to the UCSF MAS in Clinical Research, Stanford MS in Epidemiology and Clinical Research, and the Harvard Masters in Clinical Research.

Anyone have any advice on which of these programs would be good? As well as any input on if I'm good to go as an applicant?
Hello calmandcollected. Did you get any reply? How long does it take to know the admission decision?

Hello calmandcollected. Did you get any reply? How long does it take to know the admission decision?

Hello.

I applied in April and haven't heard anything yet. The application deadline was the 31st of May, so hopefully it won't be too much longer until we get a response.

Hi little information about stanford epidemiology in forum. I wonder how long it takes for admission decision from Stanford to arrive. I applied in early April.

I applied in December around the time most other applications were due and heard back mid-March. So about 3 months. Good luck!

Note: They start late (end of September) and sign-up for classes isn't until early August, so I wouldn't worry too much.

I applied in December around the time most other applications were due and heard back mid-March. So about 3 months. Good luck!

Note: They start late (end of September) and sign-up for classes isn't until early August, so I wouldn't worry too much.

Thanks! Lets hope we get an answer soon.

Tell me if you hear anything back from them! So nervous!