MPH Fall 2017: Applied, Accepted, Waitlisted, Rejected!

Discussion in 'Public Health Degrees (Masters and Doctoral)' started by yorietran, Aug 18, 2016.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. caligirl789

caligirl789 2+ Year Member

May 15, 2013
    I already heard back from Berkeley but still waiting on NYU too. But there's still hope, I didn't hear back from UCLA until last week and I got in. Good Luck!

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. mfieldlacrosse

mfieldlacrosse

Jul 13, 2015
    Do you mind me asking when you applied to Berkeley ?

4. absund

absund

Jul 17, 2016

5. absund

absund

Jul 17, 2016

I am! Got waitlisted at NYU in feb but still waiting to hear back :/

6. trnks11

trnks11

Nov 22, 2016

Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
  7. caligirl789

May 15, 2013
    I applied back in December

8. LDK92

LDK92

May 19, 2016
    Boston, MA
    I am still waiting on NYU...

9. Krssygrl

Krssygrl

Apr 17, 2017
    I submitted my NYU app in late January/early feb and my Berkeley app in mid-mach so I know it may be a while to hear from Berkeley. This waiting game is so worrisome haha but congrats on getting into UCLA and best of luck to you too!

10. gerbz

gerbz

Apr 18, 2017
    Quick Question - Did anyone get a package delivered to them from Emory with a rejection letter? Or is the package only for people who get accepted?? There is one for me on the way, and I can't wait a week to find out what it says. What a tease.

11. elessien

elessien

Dec 11, 2016
    The Package should be only for acceptances. Did you check OPUS for a decision letter? I haven't heard of the package coming before the letter. (I still haven't gotten my package, but I got my letter a while ago!)

12. gerbz

gerbz

Apr 18, 2017
    I just checked OPUS, and there it says that the admission decision "is not available at this time". Do you think I should call them and ask them whats up tomorrow?

13. elessien

elessien

Dec 11, 2016

Yes, I would definitely call. They do have some communication problems, I had some weird emails from them while I was waitlisted. Better to have clarity. It really should mean you were accepted though.

14. elessien

elessien

Dec 11, 2016
    Does it say "Pay Admission Deposit" on your OPUS home page? That will also usually change before the letter is available. I forgot about that part!

15. gerbz

gerbz

Apr 18, 2017
    It is asking me to pay $300...I'm guessing that is only available to people who are accepted?

16. elessien

elessien

Dec 11, 2016
    Yes, If it has that then you are definitely in! Your letter should show up in OPUS in a few days!

17. gerbz

gerbz

Apr 18, 2017
    SWEET! Just accepted for GLEPI. Geez, that was such a process!!

JaneReacher and elessien like this.
  18. caligirl789

May 15, 2013
    Did anyone have a phone interview for Dartmouth's MPH? I just got an email to schedule one and I'd like some insight on what to expect.

19. Optimistic81

Optimistic81

Dec 15, 2016
    It's very relaxed. A staff member/alum will ask you some questions about your background and future goals to assess if you're a good fit for the program. Just be honest and you'll be fine. :)

20. PreHealthGuy

PreHealthGuy

Jul 1, 2016
    I need Advice! I am applying to MPH programs in healthcare administration next year. I need help deciding what schools to apply to. Are there any schools that I am considered a strong applicant when applying to or am I a stretch at most places?

Undergrad School: Oregon State University
    Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.1
    Major/Minor:
    BioHealth Science/ Public Health
    GRE : Planning on taking it this summer

Experience/Research:

-Member of society of healthcare administrators on campus
    -Member of society of healthcare executives on campus
    -Volunteer youth sports coach for a term
    -planning on volunteering at a local veterans hospital this summer.

PreHealthGuy, Monday at 8:47 AM
    Edit Report Post to Moderator

21. aybha19

aybha19

Apr 3, 2017
    *UPDATED*
    I wanted to wait to hear back from schools before I posted this. This is for all the people in the future with a low GPA- anything can happen!

Undergrad School: U of Minnesota
    Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 2.749/3.2
    Major/Minor: BS Psychology, Minors: Stats and Bio
    GradGPA (if applicable): N/A
    Grad Studies (if applicable): N/A
    GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable): 3/31/17; Q-162, V- 157, W- 4.5
    Experience/Research (please, be brief): 1st Author of Abstract (Research for 2.5+ Years in Echo Lab)
    Special factors???
    - Volunteer at a Crisis Center for 1.5 Years
    - Intern at a Crisis Center for half a year
    - High up positions of multiple student groups (President, Treasurer, Regional Representative)
    - LORs from Senior Project Professor, Research Coordinator, and Intern Supervisor
    - I put passion and heart into my Personal Statement

Interested in: Global Health/Behavioral Health/Mental Health
    Applied: King's College London (MSc in Global Mental Health), U of Glasgow (MSc in Global Mental Health), Johns Hopkins (MHS in Mental Health), USF (MSPH), and MPH at BU, NYU, Tulane, U of MN, Claremont, Pitt, Emory, U of MD- College Park, U of TX- Houston, Colorado
    Accepted: U of Glasgow, Emory, U of MD, Colorado, Claremont, USF (MPH and MSPH), BU, Pitt, Tulane, NYU
    Rejected: King's College London, UT, MN, JH
    Waitlisted: N/A
    Attending: Emory- MPH in Global Health

I haven't heard back from the other schools, but Emory was my first choice, so I'm happy to be going there! This is to show that your GPA isn't everything, and if you really want something, it is reachable :)

Last edited: Jul 7, 2017
  22. Cheddar11

Cheddar11

Feb 24, 2017
    Hey everyone, hope the deposit day was smooth and went well. Does anyone know what the timeframe is for waitlisted students after the deposit day has passed? Thanks for the help, and congratulations for all the acceptances and decisions.

absund likes this.
  23. absund

absund

Jul 17, 2016
    I have the same issue. I got waitlisted at NYU and I know since the deposit day passed, what is the timeframe of hearing back? It makes me so anxious to be on waitlist because you never even know when you will hear back haha

24. Cheddar11

Cheddar11

Feb 24, 2017
    It definitely is a strange feeling. I've been on waitlist since January at Yale and just wanted to see if anyone has any experience/insight with the process and how it works after the April 15th. I hope you'll get positive news from NYU, sooner than later.

25. elessien

elessien

Dec 11, 2016
    They will give you a new deadline, my roommate just got off the waitlist at Columbia and have about 2 weeks to let them know. The length of time probably depends on the school, but you do get a new deadline.

In your waitlist letter they also should have given you a final deadline that they would let you know by. Other than that there's no real timeline, it just depends on spots that are open and who (from regular admissions and from the waitlist) declines.

26. novagirl

novagirl

Mar 12, 2017
    Hello,
    I am still waiting to hear back from a few schools. I was curious if other students were still waiting to hear back from Boston and Columbia? Also, if you were accepted, how long was your turn around time.

27. novagirl

novagirl

Mar 12, 2017

What is your updated list for Accepted/ rejected/ waitlisted? I am just curious because I have similar stats.

28. wwmmkk

wwmmkk

May 21, 2016
    Going to Brown!!

It ended up being a hugely difficult choice between Brown and Drexel, but some personal/family business swayed me in Brown's direction. I am a little jealous of the people going to Drexel and definitely wish I could somehow attend both programs.

Soooo glad this whole thing is over. Thanks to everyone for the support and encouragement throughout this process!

xyz-lmnop, mpEHch, starsea88 and 2 others like this.
  29. jcp1991

jcp1991

Feb 9, 2017
    Hello everyone! Congratulations to everyone who has been accepted into their prospective program. For those who are still waiting, hold in there and best of luck. I have finally made a decision after months of deliberation and decided to accept UC Berkeley's offer. The only bummer is that I did not receive any funding. Has anyone who got into Cal received funding?

Sabrinaahm and MHSA19 like this.
  30. Sabrinaahm

Sabrinaahm

Jan 25, 2017
    Hey all! A little late here, but anyone accepted to Claremont University's MPH program? Trying to figure out the housing situation! Any advice / input would be appreciated!

31. LDK92

LDK92

May 19, 2016
    Boston, MA
    I just heard back from NYU and got in! Hope you get good news as well :) It was my dream undergrad and I got rejected so kind of nice to get in this second time around. I will declining though because I already committed somewhere else that better matches my interests!

MHSA19 likes this.
  32. BlaseBlase

BlaseBlase

Mar 8, 2016
    I've been accepted! I know that they have graduate housing available that you can live in.

Sabrinaahm likes this.
  33. beeboops

beeboops 2+ Year Member

Apr 24, 2015
    It's difficult to say with any certainty what schools you're competitive for without a GRE score. I would start taking practice tests for the GRE and using those scores to compare yourself to some of the other posters on this forum and seeing what schools they got into. That would probably give you the best idea of what schools you are a strong applicant for.

Also, I would suggest trying to get more public health experience in. You mention that you're planning on volunteering at a local veterans' hospital this summer, but what exactly will you be doing? Is it related to public health/healthcare administration in some way, or is it fetching blankets and ice chips for patients? Depending on where you are, you could have a local branch of the Medical Reserve Corps. The MRC is a really excellent way to get in some public/community health experience and connect to your own community. Plus, some of the faculty and staff of MPH programs I talked to are MRC members as well, so they really hold the program in high esteem. Feel free to message me if you want to talk more about it! :)

34. caligirl789

May 15, 2013
    Congrats, glad you got in! I finally heard back from NYU and got in as well! But I will also likely be attending a different school in the fall.

LDK92 likes this.
  35. aybha19

aybha19

Apr 3, 2017
    Hey! I have been editing and updating the same post as I go! I'm still waiting to here back from a few, but I just updated so you can check now :)

36. absund

absund

Jul 17, 2016

Did they email you or was there a portal?

37. Sabrinaahm

Sabrinaahm

Jan 25, 2017
    Congrats on the acceptance! Do you have any tips on where to rent apartments around the area? Apparrently campus housing is 'limited'; I'm from NY, so I'm completely unfamiliar with the area!

38. caligirl789

May 15, 2013
    They sent out the decision in an email.

39. fbfduran

fbfduran

Apr 26, 2017
    I got waitlisted a little over 2 weeks ago to the NYU MPH/MSW dual degree program. Anyone have a rough timeframe on when I might hear back? Or what my chances are of getting off the waitlist?

40. Captainkukkii

Captainkukkii

Feb 14, 2017
    Is anyone else still waiting on their physical acceptance package from Emory? I was accepted back in March and I still haven't received mine yet :(

41. aybha19

aybha19

Apr 3, 2017
    I got a Fed-Ex tracking number when they sent it out! It was sent to my email that I applied with. If you you didn't get anything like that, you may want to check in with them :)

42. elessien

elessien

Dec 11, 2016
    I didn't get one either! :(

43. Captainkukkii

Captainkukkii

Feb 14, 2017
    When did you get accepted on Opus? I'm probably going to shoot an e-mail over by the end of the month :D

44. elessien

elessien

Dec 11, 2016
    I think it was around March 30th. I've been thinking about emailing, I just don't really know who to email. o_O

45. tyonce

tyonce

Apr 28, 2017
    I've recently been waitlisted for Emory's MPH program because they said their class was full. Does anyone know what the process is for getting off the waitlist or more so the possibility of getting off the waitlist?

46. elessien

elessien

Dec 11, 2016
    I was originally waitlisted at Emory, I'm off now, but its really just a waiting game. There's not really anything you can do to add to your application at this point, so it depends mostly on space. If they are full, then someone would have to defer or decline for you to get in, which does happen, but how likely it is depends a lot on how many people do that and how many people are waitlisted with you. I wouldn't count on it for this year, if I were you, but maybe someone else has more knowledge about how often people decline after the response date.

47. 90sbabygemini

90sbabygemini

Jan 5, 2017

Last edited: Jun 20, 2017
  48. Captainkukkii

Captainkukkii

Feb 14, 2017
    I just sent an email! Thanks for the tip! :)

49. koala94

koala94

Apr 6, 2017
    Yeah same but they send it through FedEx, and if you are on their mailing list, you'll receive an e-mail from FedEx giving you the details about your package and the tracking ID. I was accepted back in March and got this e-mail only a few days ago so don't worry :)

50. BlaseBlase

BlaseBlase

Mar 8, 2016
    Thanks you too! So it depends if you want to commute. Claremont is a pretty small city but there are plenty of apartment complexes to live in. I'm actually planning on living in Pasadena which is about 25-30 min away. Have you looked at these apartments? Claremont Collegiate Apartments | Student Housing If you have any questions feel free to message me! :)

51. Nine Co

Nine Co 2+ Year Member

Dec 25, 2013
    Anyone still waiting on Columbia?

let_me_epi324 likes this.