MPH Fall 2017: Applied, Accepted, Waitlisted, Rejected!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Undergrad School: Boston University
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 2.68 with likely 2.89 upon graduation
Major/Minor: Neuroscience with all but one Pre-med class complete
GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable): 12/20 test date 153 Verbal, 153 Quant, 4.5 Writing
Experience/Research (please, be brief):
-3 months in Africa as first undergraduate and longest staying student as an assistant public health manager
-first undergrad research assistant for a director at BMC
-hospital work since age 13

Special factors: First Generation for any type of post bachelors education

Interested in: Global Health, Mental Health, Women and Children
Applied: BU SPH (application received on 12/5 without GRE, took GRE on 12/20, GREs received on 12/30)
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Update: Was accepted with a merit scholarship.

Reactions: 2 users
Hey guys. Congrats on your acceptances and decisions. I am still deciding between Emory HPM and Boston University HPM... Any help haha

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Emory is more affordable, and I'm still waiting to here back from BU but they said they gave me a scholarship.

I also got a scholarship from BU for $15,000, a one time scholarship but considering the cost of living in BU and other expenses, it is a tough decision to make.

Hi everyone. I've decided on attending BU in the fall for my MPH in HPM! That said, here are my final stats. Good luck to everyone else deciding. I believe with hard work and dedication, we all will do great wherever we end up.

Undergrad School:
Small City School
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.41 (SOPHAS 3.45)
Major/Minor: Health Sciences; Health Services Administration (Minor)
GRE: 163V 159Q AWA 5 (Dec '16)
Experience/Research:
-Student intern & subsequent Per Diem Therapy Aide at a well-known hospital (1.5 years)
-Presented research at two conferences (one of the youngest speakers at one)
-Co-coordinator of a church ministry with tutoring support to children in need (3.5 years)
-Leadership positions in 5 on-campus organizations
-StartedAmeriCorps in January (Did not put that in personal statement or SOPHAS)

LOR: Professor (research); Statistics Professor (Department Chair); Public Health Professor, Club Organization Advisor
Special Factors: None that stick out...I think.
Interested in: MPH - Health Management & Policy
Applied: Boston University (1/3), Emory (1/4), Penn (1/5), Drexel University (1/7), Temple University (1/8), Yale (1/9), Columbia (1/13)
Accepted: Temple (1/19), Penn (1/25), Drexel +45k (1/27), Emory (2/8)+20k, BU +22k (2/9), Columbia (2/19)
Rejected: Yale (2/13)
Attending: BU SPH for MPH - Healthcare Management Track

Reactions: 1 users
Hi everyone. I've decided on attending BU in the fall for my MPH in HPM! That said, here are my final stats. Good luck to everyone else deciding. I believe with hard work and dedication, we all will do great wherever we end up.

Undergrad School:
Small City School
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.41 (SOPHAS 3.45)
Major/Minor: Health Sciences; Health Services Administration (Minor)
GRE: 163V 159Q AWA 5 (Dec '16)
Experience/Research:
-Student intern & subsequent Per Diem Therapy Aide at a well-known hospital (1.5 years)
-Presented research at two conferences (one of the youngest speakers at one)
-Co-coordinator of a church ministry with tutoring support to children in need (3.5 years)
-Leadership positions in 5 on-campus organizations
-StartedAmeriCorps in January (Did not put that in personal statement or SOPHAS)

LOR: Professor (research); Statistics Professor (Department Chair); Public Health Professor, Club Organization Advisor
Special Factors: None that stick out...I think.
Interested in: MPH - Health Management & Policy
Applied: Boston University (1/3), Emory (1/4), Penn (1/5), Drexel University (1/7), Temple University (1/8), Yale (1/9), Columbia (1/13)
Accepted: Temple (1/19), Penn (1/25), Drexel +45k (1/27), Emory (2/8)+20k, BU +22k (2/9), Columbia (2/19)
Rejected: Yale (2/13)
Attending: BU SPH for MPH - Healthcare Management Track

Hey congrats! Sorry to pick your brain, but I also got into Emory and BU and want to know what led you choosing BU over Emory?

Hi!

Thanks a lot for your response! Considering you have experience in the program in Stanford. I'm wondering what exactly you mean when you say "data mining" and"machine learning oriented research".

Is the stanford program being in through medical school an issue? Since I going to graduate from medicine soon I feel it would be an ideal pick.

Are there any funding opportunities in stanford?

Thank you!

I probably should've used the term meta-analyses instead of data mining. The whole concept of "big data" (looking for patterns, etc. in medical data for various purposes) seems to be big at Stanford and around that area (Palo Alto). Stanford is very big on computer science.

I actually think the program being through the medical school is ideal for those who have MDs (you) or hope to pursue an MD afterwards (me).

Regarding funding...I don't know. You might be at an advantage given that you have an MD already!

Were you able to figure out where to accept the offer?
The only tabs I have are home and apply online

Turns out I wasn't offered any aid. I suggest you call them to confirm, but it's likely you weren't offered any aid either. :(

I probably should've used the term meta-analyses instead of data mining. The whole concept of "big data" (looking for patterns, etc. in medical data for various purposes) seems to be big at Stanford and around that area (Palo Alto). Stanford is very big on computer science.

I actually think the program being through the medical school is ideal for those who have MDs (you) or hope to pursue an MD afterwards (me).

Regarding funding...I don't know. You might be at an advantage given that you have an MD already!

I get it. Thanks!

Could I get into contact with you separately to ask you a couple of questions about the program?

Can anyone confirm about this? I applied late to Global Epi at Michigan (and Epi - I asked to be considered for general epi if I don't get in) and my Wolverine Access account now says that a decision has been made and that I'll hear by email within 5 business days. Is this waitlist/rejection? Or does this not mean anything specific? I know for other departments, an email is sent first, but I seem to find no info about the Epi dept specifically on previous threads. And in previous years, people who applied to HMP and HBHE programs were linked to videos if they were accepted. But again, maybe they've changed it up this year/Epi follows different procedures. HELP!

On a side note, I applied to three different programs at Michigan, so as long as one works out, it's fine, so I'm not totally freaking out (yet). But I'd just like to know what this means.

I just visited Brown, and now I don't know what to dooooo. The other complicating factor is that yesterday I received some financial support from family that I was truly not expecting, so while money is still a concern, it's not the biggest factor in my decisions like it has been for the past several months.

Drexel: focus on practice, so many hands-on opportunities, much lower cost, new facilities, new interdisciplinary research centers, research fellowship, professors with close to my very specific interests, faculty and staff who bent over backwards to make me feel valuable/listened to/etc., truly integrated into Philly, felt SUPER EXCITED after I left their admitted students day

Brown: very academically rigorous, focus on quantitative methods, generalist approach to public health = more flexibility, much more liveable city (size/culture/etc.), Ivy League name, masters project ("internship") AND thesis, many opportunities for publication, varied research centers, deep connections to RI Dept of Public Health, make more sense for my personal/family life

Any last minute thoughts/advice? I need to decide by early tonight because I'm leaving the country for a vacation tomorrow.

I'm sure this has been discussed a number of times, but how much does the prestige of the program/school matter? Debating between UCLA and UCI. If it's relevant, I do plan to get an MD afterwards.

I just visited Brown, and now I don't know what to dooooo. The other complicating factor is that yesterday I received some financial support from family that I was truly not expecting, so while money is still a concern, it's not the biggest factor in my decisions like it has been for the past several months.

Drexel: focus on practice, so many hands-on opportunities, much lower cost, new facilities, new interdisciplinary research centers, research fellowship, professors with close to my very specific interests, faculty and staff who bent over backwards to make me feel valuable/listened to/etc., truly integrated into Philly, felt SUPER EXCITED after I left their admitted students day

Brown: very academically rigorous, focus on quantitative methods, generalist approach to public health = more flexibility, much more liveable city (size/culture/etc.), Ivy League name, masters project ("internship") AND thesis, many opportunities for publication, varied research centers, deep connections to RI Dept of Public Health, make more sense for my personal/family life

Any last minute thoughts/advice? I need to decide by early tonight because I'm leaving the country for a vacation tomorrow.

Just reading this, and correct me if I am wrong, you sound much more excited about Drexel than about Brown. Is it Brown's name and perceived prestige that's giving you pause over choosing Drexel? It sounds per your description that Brown is a more research-oriented program, and Drexel is more practice-oriented. How do you feel both programs fit your interests and aspirations? Do you feel there is something one program offers that you will not be able to get from the other? It sounds like Brown offers some familial support that Drexel does not, but that Drexel offers hands-on opportunities that Brown may not. With respect to Brown's internship (I assume you are referring to the practicum?) and thesis, I believe Drexel offers both of these as well but I could be wrong. If it's just name that's catching you up, Drexel is ranked more highly than Brown, and may make up for the research rigor of Brown in the special attention you get in the fellowship program (but that's just speculation on my part). I don't think you can make a wrong choice here. When you think about going to either of these places, does one make you more inherently excited than the other?

Members don't see this ad :)
Can anyone confirm about this? I applied late to Global Epi at Michigan (and Epi - I asked to be considered for general epi if I don't get in) and my Wolverine Access account now says that a decision has been made and that I'll hear by email within 5 business days. Is this waitlist/rejection? Or does this not mean anything specific? I know for other departments, an email is sent first, but I seem to find no info about the Epi dept specifically on previous threads. And in previous years, people who applied to HMP and HBHE programs were linked to videos if they were accepted. But again, maybe they've changed it up this year/Epi follows different procedures. HELP!

On a side note, I applied to three different programs at Michigan, so as long as one works out, it's fine, so I'm not totally freaking out (yet). But I'd just like to know what this means.

Sorry to spam, but I'm kind of freaking out!!

Is anyone else having trouble submitting their enrollment form at Emory?!

I've paid my deposit and accepted my financial aid package, but when I try to submit my enrollment form through the student portal nothing happens. I click submit but don't get any confirmation either way. I've tried two browsers as well as using a laptop and iPad. Help!

I just submitted my deposit to Columbia! :soexcited:Good luck to you all!

Reactions: 7 users
ALSO, since the deadline is coming up for enrollment deposit it's almost basically between Emory and Michigan (assuming I get in) for me. I have a good shot at finding a research assistantship too, I think. So I created a Facebook group for the incoming Emory MPH class! :) Just search Rollins School of Public Health Class of 2019. Don't want to post link for privacy sake. Just request to join.

wait for people who submitted to columbia, is all we need to do pay the deposit and click i accept?

Not sure if I can give much perspective on this because I don't have much idea about Brown. I just paid deposit for Drexel last night. If you do decide to attend Drexel, see you there!

Is anyone else having trouble submitting their enrollment form at Emory?!

I've paid my deposit and accepted my financial aid package, but when I try to submit my enrollment form through the student portal nothing happens. I click submit but don't get any confirmation either way. I've tried two browsers as well as using a laptop and iPad. Help!

Were you able to figure out a way to get a confirmation? I am having the same problem. Any advice/input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Were you able to figure out a way to get a confirmation? I am having the same problem. Any advice/input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Did you go to the separate portal from the acceptance email or try through OPUS? It looks like mine took a day, I paid my deposit on 3/26 and got the confirmation on 3/27.

just wanted to post my two cents: i was torn between brown, penn, and yale for weeks. i visited all three - which are incredible and good fits for me in their own rights - but ended up settling on yale. i was so excited leaving the accepted students' day and couldn't imagine going anywhere else. while i'm drawn to brown for its slightly smaller program size and generalist track (and providence, which is lovely), i left feeling a little off about the students i met, who seemed a bit pretentious and unwelcoming. students were also on the younger size, and most at the accepted students' day didn't have specific areas of interest. granted this is just one opinion and it all could have been in my head, but i was most excited about brown going into visitation says - and i realized i'm not sure it was where i'd be the happiest. at the end of the day, if you go with your gut choice (assuming you like both programs and they're good fits already), i don't think you can go wrong. best of luck to you!!

Did you go to the separate portal from the acceptance email or try through OPUS? It looks like mine took a day, I paid my deposit on 3/26 and got the confirmation on 3/27.

Sorry I should've been more clear. I already received my confirmation for my deposit but we are also required to fill out the enrollment decision form, which is basically the form where we decide whether we accept, decline, or accept and defer our admittance to Emory. I cannot figure out a way to get a confirmation after filling out this form and clicking the submit button does nothing.

Okay, so I'm applying really late in the game. I'm submitting for the May 1st deadline, and I plan to apply this week. I know that I waited way too long, but I had things I had to take care of before applying. How much do you think this will hurt my chances of getting in?
GPA 3.4
GRE not great-- I'm retaking April 24th so send new scores in-- 159 verbal, 144!?!? math, and 4 writing
Experience-- mostly teaching, I also taught health education in Guatemala for 2 months
Letters- Decent

Applying to USF, Tulane, Univ of Colorado, and St. Louis

And before everyone yells at me for waiting I KNOW and I agree with you. Just wondering if anyone has any insight on how badly this will affect me.

Just want to say happy decision day! Congrats to everyone who is officially settled on the program they'll be attending. It seemed like a challenging decision for many, myself included. Trust that you've made the right choice - it's going to be amazing! Here's to hoping we're all colleagues in the future.

Reactions: 7 users
Okay, so I'm applying really late in the game. I'm submitting for the May 1st deadline, and I plan to apply this week. I know that I waited way too long, but I had things I had to take care of before applying. How much do you think this will hurt my chances of getting in?
GPA 3.4
GRE not great-- I'm retaking April 24th so send new scores in-- 159 verbal, 144!?!? math, and 4 writing
Experience-- mostly teaching, I also taught health education in Guatemala for 2 months
Letters- Decent

Applying to USF, Tulane, Univ of Colorado, and St. Louis

And before everyone yells at me for waiting I KNOW and I agree with you. Just wondering if anyone has any insight on how badly this will affect me.

Since everyone else is too excited about their own enrollment deposits and decisions to answer you (or me, for that matter), I will.

I applied to some of my schools a month ago, and I'm still yet to apply to GWU. I just got into Emory and was waitlisted by one school. Waiting on Michigan, my top choice, which seems like it might work out. The one difference between the two of us is that my GRE was a little better, but your verbal and writing seem good. You seem to have experience that I didn't have. You might not get into all four, but I'd say you definitely have a shot at getting into at least one of them :) don't sweat it, and, worst case scenario (as I told myself before the Emory decision), many schools also have Jan admissions, not sure about the ones you're applying to. I'd just recommend you don't stress yourself with this thread lol

Last edited:
Sorry to spam, but I'm kind of freaking out!!

I can't speak personally about Michigan but I wouldn't worry about it too much. NYU said they made a decision and I was able to log on and noticed I was accepted, but it wasn't until about 5 days later that I was linked to a video that congratulated me on my acceptance. As mentioned, I don't think the email you received means anything except that they made a decision about your admittance, whether it means you were accepted, rejected, or waitlisted is unknown at this point. Best of luck !

Sorry I should've been more clear. I already received my confirmation for my deposit but we are also required to fill out the enrollment decision form, which is basically the form where we decide whether we accept, decline, or accept and defer our admittance to Emory. I cannot figure out a way to get a confirmation after filling out this form and clicking the submit button does nothing.

No, I understand, I got the confirmation a day after submitting that form. I just wanted to make sure you went through the link in the acceptance email, because thats how I did it.

Reactions: 1 users
No, I understand, I got the confirmation a day after submitting that form. I just wanted to make sure you went through the link in the acceptance email, because thats how I did it.

Awesome ! Hopefully I get my confirmation soon. Thank you for replying.

So who will I be joining at Harvard next year?????

Accepted my offer at Columbia too! Just took me the weekend to soak it all in. New York, new experiences!

Reactions: 9 users
Is anyone else STILL waiting to hear back from NYU and Berkeley for their MPH programs? I called about NYU last month on the 27th and they said decisions would be sent out no later than April 15th

Is anyone else STILL waiting to hear back from NYU and Berkeley for their MPH programs? I called about NYU last month on the 27th and they said decisions would be sent out no later than April 15th

I applied to NYU in late March and got a response already (accepted). However, I am still waiting to hear back from Berkeley. Best of luck !

I get it. Thanks!

Could I get into contact with you separately to ask you a couple of questions about the program?
Sure thing! I don't know how helpful I'll be given that I haven't started yet, but I'll do my best! :)

I already heard back from Berkeley but still waiting on NYU too. But there's still hope, I didn't hear back from UCLA until last week and I got in. Good Luck!

I am! Got waitlisted at NYU in feb but still waiting to hear back :/

I already heard back from Berkeley but still waiting on NYU too. But there's still hope, I didn't hear back from UCLA until last week and I got in. Good Luck!

I am still waiting on NYU...

Last edited:
I submitted my NYU app in late January/early feb and my Berkeley app in mid-mach so I know it may be a while to hear from Berkeley. This waiting game is so worrisome haha but congrats on getting into UCLA and best of luck to you too!

Quick Question - Did anyone get a package delivered to them from Emory with a rejection letter? Or is the package only for people who get accepted?? There is one for me on the way, and I can't wait a week to find out what it says. What a tease.

Quick Question - Did anyone get a package delivered to them from Emory with a rejection letter? Or is the package only for people who get accepted?? There is one for me on the way, and I can't wait a week to find out what it says. What a tease.

The Package should be only for acceptances. Did you check OPUS for a decision letter? I haven't heard of the package coming before the letter. (I still haven't gotten my package, but I got my letter a while ago!)

The Package should be only for acceptances. Did you check OPUS for a decision letter? I haven't heard of the package coming before the letter. (I still haven't gotten my package, but I got my letter a while ago!)

I just checked OPUS, and there it says that the admission decision "is not available at this time". Do you think I should call them and ask them whats up tomorrow?

I just checked OPUS, and there it says that the admission decision "is not available at this time". Do you think I should call them and ask them whats up tomorrow?

Yes, I would definitely call. They do have some communication problems, I had some weird emails from them while I was waitlisted. Better to have clarity. It really should mean you were accepted though.

Does it say "Pay Admission Deposit" on your OPUS home page? That will also usually change before the letter is available. I forgot about that part!