MPH Fall 2016: Applied, Accepted, Waitlisted, Rejected!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone who placed a deposit down at Harvard--do you know what happens next? Also, if you're going into the MPH65 program, do you have any updated information on interdisciplinary concentrations?

Members don't see this ad.

Undergrad School: School in Oregon
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 2.56/3.89
Major/Minor:psychology
GradGPA
(if applicable):
Grad Studies (if applicable):
GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable): 146 q/ 151 v 4 AW
Experience/Research (please, be brief):mostly work at a financial firm, red cross, tutoring on campus for 2 years and working with veterans. I also worked as a translator for a missionary group helping in 3rd world countries with the cholera outbreak

Interested in: public health policy and management
Applied: U of Arizona, UTSPH, Georgia State, Oregon MPH/PSU
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

I'm mostly expecting rejection letters because my first 3 years of college I had to work 2 jobs to support my ppl, my letters of rec are great however my last year and 2 summers my GPA is at a 3.8 but my first 3 years were really really low, I did have a grad adviser at my current university overlook my statement letters and was told it was great but when the inevitable denial comes from these schools, any tips on how to possibly strengthen my app for 2017? thanks
HI just an update mostly for those thinking of applying next cycle. I didnt get into UTSPH, I was accepted into Georgia State and am waiting for answers for the other 2 schools. so it is possible. also if anyone has any information about Georgia state university school of public health I'd love to get any insight thansk gonna go celebrate now

Declined a few schools yesterday, hope some spots and scholarships open up. But to each and everyone of you - WE DID IT.
Grad school is going to be LIT :)

Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Columbia MPH candidates, have you applied for housing? Did they sent out any email regarding on-campus housing? TIA

Columbia MPH candidates, have you applied for housing? Did they sent out any email regarding on-campus housing? TIA
I am not looking into on-campus housing, but I don't believe they've sent out an email regarding that

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone have suggestions on finding assistantship positions that offer tuition assistance? Any help would be appreciated! I've been in contact with my department but I was wondering if research studies ever just list their need for one.
Which school? I know of some school specific resources such as the one you're describing. I'm not sure if they offer tuition assistance per say but they're paid.

Hi,

I've been following this thread since a while. Congratulations to all on their admits!
I am INTERNTIONAL undergrad student.

GPA-3.97
TOEFL- 110/120
GRE- 304

Applied for MPH Epidemiology (FALL 16)- Yale, Columbia and NYU
Accepted- Columbia (no scholarship) and NYU ($20K scholarship for two years)
Rejected- Yale (not surprised)

I'll be financing my studies with an education loan. The difference in the fee will be about $30k (Columbia being on the upper end, NYU on the lower). Although, the offer by NYU is lucrative considering reduced tuition expenses, the college has no ranking in the top MPH programs while obviously Columbia is an ivy and is ranked at #5. The research opportunities are much wider at Columbia (so I’ve been told and from the view of the two’s websites); NYU is not listed among the better ones and its health school is a recent one.

I have already enrolled myself at the Columbia and the acceptance by NYU came in much later. The last date for enrolment is 20 April at NYU and I’m unable to come to a conclusion. I'm reeeealllllyy confused. PLEASE HELP.

From what I have been told by people, the brand doesn't matter and that the placements depend upon one's grades and the efforts one puts in, my concern lies in the fact that NYU has a good holistic image but not subject-wise. And it’s not even ASPH accredited for the obvious reason that the Public Health School didn’t exist individually until recently. I don’t want to end up in a place where after graduation, I’m faced with a huge debt and no job to repay it.

Haah! Obviously I want Columbia but the fee is soooooo enormous. Will paying $30k more at Columbia over NYU be worth-it?

Hi,

I've been following this thread since a while. Congratulations to all on their admits!

GPA-3.97
TOEFL- 110/120
GRE- 304

I'll be financing my studies with an education loan. The difference in the fee will be about $30k (Columbia being on the upper end, NYU on the lower). Although, the offer by NYU is lucrative considering reduced tuition expenses, the college has no ranking in the top MPH programs while obviously Columbia is an ivy and is ranked at #5. The research opportunities are much wider at Columbia (so I’ve been told and from the view of the two’s websites); NYU is not listed among the better ones and its health school is a recent one.

I have already enrolled myself at the Columbia and the acceptance by NYU came in much later. The last date for enrolment is 20 April at NYU and I’m unable to come to a conclusion. I'm reeeealllllyy confused. PLEASE HELP.

From what I have been told by people, the brand doesn't matter and that the placements depend upon one's grades and the efforts one puts in, my concern lies in the fact that NYU has a good holistic image but not subject-wise. And it’s not even ASPH accredited for the obvious reason that the Public Health School didn’t exist individually until recently. I don’t want to end up in a place where after graduation, I’m faced with a huge debt and no job to repay it.

Haah! Obviously I want Columbia but the fee is soooooo enormous. Will paying $30k more at Columbia over NYU be worth-it?
Is there a particular school that is more aligned with your personal interests and goals? For example: research opportunities, places that are partnered with the school for completion of practicum/thesis, where grads end up after completion of the program. These are all questions you could ask admissions as well and that could help you more thoroughly compare.

Actually yes! Columbia is offering a concentration in Infectious Disease while NYU has social epidemiology. I would like to go with the former one, but hey I can totally drop on it if the program at NYU is as good, cos I'll have to pay lesser tuition. So, my concern still lies in the fact that will spending those $30k at Columbia be worthwhile..

Hi,

GPA-3.97
TOEFL- 110/120
GRE- 304

If you've already enrolled in one program, you generally cannot enroll in another one. There are rare instances where you can, but you'd have to contact the school about that.

Actually yes! Columbia is offering a concentration in Infectious Disease while NYU has social epidemiology. I would like to go with the former one, but hey I can totally drop on it if the program at NYU is as good, cos I'll have to pay lesser tuition. So, my concern still lies in the fact that will spending those $30k at Columbia be worthwhile..
The cost is certainly a large difference, but ultimately, it's an investment for your future. Go with the program you want the most! Plus, there's a chance you could get an assistantship that might offer tuition assistance...at either school! Look into that, too

If you've already enrolled in one program, you generally cannot enroll in another one. There are rare instances where you can, but you'd have to contact the school about that.

I can always inform the school that i'm declining the offer as the other school is providing scholarship. :) but, hey thanks!
Any insight on my post ?

Members don't see this ad :)
The cost is certainly a large difference, but ultimately, it's an investment for your future. Go with the program you want the most! Plus, there's a chance you could get an assistantship that might offer tuition assistance...at either school! Look into that, too

Will i have to ask for the assistantship now? or should wait for the orientation? The latter makes more sense to me.

Will i have to ask for the assistantship now? or should wait for the orientation? The latter makes more sense to me.
Depends on the school, I believe. What I meant is to see what types of opportunities are available, if any at all, and where. So, see what jobs you can get while in school, what work it would entail, and if there are any tuition benefits/pay associated. These can be very different per school and I encourage you to see what this looks like at each school and compare.

In other words, don't try to apply to anything yet. Just see what's available and determine what you can be doing one year from now at Columbia and at NYU

Just submitted my deposit to BU!!! This graduate school admissions process has been the most stressful process of my entire life, and I am so glad it's over! Good luck to all my fellow procrastinators who are cutting it close to the April 15th deadline!

If you committed to BU as well, please feel free to message me or reply to this thread :) I would love to (virtually) meet some of you before we get to campus

I accepted BU's offer as well! NYU also gave me additional funding at the last minute which threw me off but Boston won in the end! Hope to see you either before or during school this fall! :)

Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone know if they've made an official FB group for Columbia students yet?

Received a half-tuition scholarship as well as a guaranteed 20hr/wk graduate assistantship at Vanderbilt. Visited Vanderbilt, and it is certainly a "boutique" program with lots of personal attention (each student has their own team of 3 mentors), but also limited class options and a tiny class size (~8-12) in global health. If anyone has questions about the Vanderbilt program, feel free to PM me.

I'll be deferring at Vanderbilt and Hopkins to accept a one year fellowship elsewhere, and I'll re-evaluate in a year. Hope those 2 spots can go to anyone on waitlists :)

To those who accepted with Columbia, did you receive a "welcome" letter or some kind of confirmation that you're acceptance was recognized? I received a receipt from OrgSync upon my payment, but nothing directly from the school or the department.

I was informed that I'd be hearing about scholarships from GW this week since I'm on the wait list. Actually, they said "soon after the 4/15 deadline." :) I was hoping it would be earlier rather than later this week because I'm ready to have a decision made and be done!

To those who accepted with Columbia, did you receive a "welcome" letter or some kind of confirmation that you're acceptance was recognized? I received a receipt from OrgSync upon my payment, but nothing directly from the school or the department.
Just to clarify: do you mean to ask if our enrollment was recognized? Regarding enrollment, I also only received a receipt of my OrgSync payment. No other email :/

I received a message from OrgSync saying that someone had 'approved' my Statement of Intent, but nothing else.

I received a message from OrgSync saying that someone had 'approved' my Statement of Intent, but nothing else.
Same. I hope they send something out regarding the timeline, like when we can start enrolling in classes or preparing for orientation. Is there anyone who enrolled at Columbia in previous years who knows what incoming students should expect, and when?

Same. I hope they send something out regarding the timeline, like when we can start enrolling in classes or preparing for orientation. Is there anyone who enrolled at Columbia in previous years who knows what incoming students should expect, and when?
No one enrolls in classes for the first semester as everyone is in the same classes for the core. However we will be able to rank our choices for the cohort. I would assume that as it is 2 business days after they received the last confirmations from students that it could be a little while for the offices to get everything situated.
There are over 4 months until orientation though so everything will get out with plenty of time, I'm sure! :)

Reactions: 1 users
Has anybody gotten off the scholarship waitlist at GW? I've already accepted my position there, I just want to know if I should stop waiting around for this haha

Last edited:
No one enrolls in classes for the first semester as everyone is in the same classes for the core. However we will be able to rank our choices for the cohort. I would assume that as it is 2 business days after they received the last confirmations from students that it could be a little while for the offices to get everything situated.
There are over 4 months until orientation though so everything will get out with plenty of time, I'm sure! :)
Haha I'm so impatient! My friends think I'm crazy but I'm excited to be going back to school :p

After much deliberation, I finally decided on the MS in Epid at Hopkins! Here's to the next ten years in debt...hope it's worth it.

Reactions: 6 users
I have a question for Boston folks - if I were attending Harvard Chan (which is apparently in the Longwood area), would it still be okay to live in Cambridge? How easy is it to get between the two areas? Are there shuttles? I'm just clueless on this...

I have a question for Boston folks - if I were attending Harvard Chan (which is apparently in the Longwood area), would it still be okay to live in Cambridge? How easy is it to get between the two areas? Are there shuttles? I'm just clueless on this...

It's pretty easy, although like everything, traffic does make a difference. If you're in the general Harvard Square area, the M2 shuttle runs directly from the main Harvard campus to the Longwood Medical Area (where the Chan School is) -- it's free for Harvard students and run pretty regularly. From experience, the route can take as little as 15 minutes and as long as 45, depending on time of day and traffic. Here's info on routes: http://www.masco.org/lma-shuttles/m2-cambridge-harvard-shuttle

I have been trying to figure out living in
It's pretty easy, although like everything, traffic does make a difference. If you're in the general Harvard Square area, the M2 shuttle runs directly from the main Harvard campus to the Longwood Medical Area (where the Chan School is) -- it's free for Harvard students and run pretty regularly. From experience, the route can take as little as 15 minutes and as long as 45, depending on time of day and traffic. Here's info on routes: http://www.masco.org/lma-shuttles/m2-cambridge-harvard-shuttle
Thanks for the info, I have been wondering this as well! Me + Boston map = interesting times.

I agree, the M2 shuttle is probably your best bet. I've seen it pretty often en route between Cambridge and Longwood, but not sure until when it runs. If you do end up taking the T, there are a few buses that leave from Harvard/Central/Kendall MIT and stop in the Longwood area, or you could also take the 1 bus and transfer at Hynes. If you're in East Cambridge, it'll be easiest to take the E line all the way down. A lot of people bike around here, which I think is the fastest way to get around TBH. Sometimes I've found that walking can even be faster than the buses, especially along Mass Ave during peak hours. It's a small city, you'll learn the routes soon enough ;)

which is a good school in Health promotion & prevention between Texas A&M, Drexel and NYU ??

Any insight between UAB or USF? I do love the dual degree in Epi and global communicable diseases at USF but UAB offered a small scholarship and in state tutition. Plus I liked UABs campus/faculty better. Also I thought it was odd that USF has no scholarships or fellowships for MPH students, doesn't that speak poorly of the alumni/endowments?

Any insight between UAB or USF? I do love the dual degree in Epi and global communicable diseases at USF but UAB offered a small scholarship and in state tutition. Plus I liked UABs campus/faculty better. Also I thought it was odd that USF has no scholarships or fellowships for MPH students, doesn't that speak poorly of the alumni/endowments?
I had a weird experience when I visited USF. I tried to get someone to give me a tour of the campus and wound up getting the dean of the school to do it who seemed fairly receptive even as she rushed through it giving me her card to tell me to call her if I had any questions. I wound up emailing her with a list of questions and never got any response. I got the feeling that they don't have a lot of students visit from far away with interest in their program after all of this.

Accepted into Georgia state, USF & Rutgers ! Officially accepted my offer to Rutgers mph epidemiology ! Anyone else plan on attending Rutgers this fall?

Is there anyone who applied to UCLA (EHS) and was waitlisted and still haven't heard back?
I got an email back in February saying they will email the decision by latest April 20th. It's been a week and I still haven't heard back through either email or mail.
I've emailed them a few times already, but no response.

Anyone else experiencing this?

I had a weird experience when I visited USF. I tried to get someone to give me a tour of the campus and wound up getting the dean of the school to do it who seemed fairly receptive even as she rushed through it giving me her card to tell me to call her if I had any questions. I wound up emailing her with a list of questions and never got any response. I got the feeling that they don't have a lot of students visit from far away with interest in their program after all of this.

That's so funny that you say that because I also had a werid experience. The first time I went to talk to someone, the person I talked to was rude and said "sorry we don't take same day appointments". Told me to look up the program info online. Then I went and visited this past week and setting that up was also difficult. They need some help recruiting lol. However I visited UAB and fell in love with both the campus and faculty. So that's where I'll be attending!

I'm still pretty new at this but I was just wondering if it would be useful/helpful to visit the schools BEFORE applying? Or are these site/campus visits for after acceptance to scout where to go?

Nothing wrong with visiting schools before applying. Just remember that since you wouldn't be an accepted student that things may be different for you if you did schedule a visit. It may make financial sense though to apply first, wait to be accepted, and then visit, since it probably costs more to fly than it does to apply. Plus, like mentioned above, you might have a better experience (getting to know faculty/students/research/opportunities) if you visit as an accepted student.

I'm still pretty new at this but I was just wondering if it would be useful/helpful to visit the schools BEFORE applying? Or are these site/campus visits for after acceptance to scout where to go?
Honestly, no.

Look up the program, people, faculty, weather, surrounding area, etc.
When it starts getting narrowed down, then ideally visit but don't break the bank doing it!
It's important but not a NEED.

Hope this helps and good luck!

In addition to what others have said, you may be able to get a small travel stipend (depending on the school) once you are an accepted student - because of course, the schools are all trying to get you to enroll in theirs :) 99% sure they don't provide that for students who haven't been accepted.

Thanks for all the advice! I'd be flying in from Canada which isn't far but isn't cheap either. Glad to know that researching online is probably all I would have to do. Looking forward to applying this upcoming cycle!!!

SO SO happy to be the bearer of good news:

CSUN MPH in Community Health Ed. : Accepted!
CSUF MPH in Health Promotion & Disease prevention: Accepted!
CSULB MPH in Community Health: Accepted

I have officially accepted and paid my deposit to CSUF! HUUURRAAYYY!! I seriously didn't think I would get in anywhere! Keepin the hope alive for my fellow applicants (current or future) who have a GPA below a 3.0 (mine was a 2.84)-- grind and hustle until you reach your goals!!

I accepted BU's offer as well! NYU also gave me additional funding at the last minute which threw me off but Boston won in the end! Hope to see you either before or during school this fall! :)
same thing happened to me!! $24k :)Hello, I've been a 'silent reader' and will be attending Boston U this fall! As an international student I'm quite clueless on accommodation etc.
Any Bostonian interested in guiding me?:(

I am international student.

GPA-3.3
TOEFL- 104/120
GRE- 310 W: 4

Applied for MPH Epidemiology & HPM (FALL 16) : Tulane, Berkeley, Minnesota , Cincinnati and Emory

Accepted- Tulane, Cincinnati, Emory, Minnesota
Rejected- Berkeley (not surprised)
Attending - Tulane/Minnesota

Anyone attending Tulane or Minnesota here?

I am international student.

GPA-3.3
TOEFL- 104/120
GRE- 310 W: 4

Applied for MPH Epidemiology & HPM (FALL 16) : Tulane, Berkeley, Minnesota , Cincinnati and Emory

Accepted- Tulane, Cincinnati, Emory, Minnesota
Rejected- Berkeley (not surprised)
Attending - Tulane/Minnesota

Anyone attending Tulane or Minnesota here?

You're attending both!? :confused:

Is there any advantage in submitting applications by November 1st vs December? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app