MPH Fall 2016: Applied, Accepted, Waitlisted, Rejected!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Did anyone ever receive an agenda for admitted student's day at Columbia? I RSVPed but never got one.
I went to the first one and didn't get an agenda till the day before, so I wouldn't worry too much.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
For those considering Brown, this was sent to me today: " At this time we have not yet established any graduate student's federal loan packing in Banner Self Service. We expect this to be updated in the next two weeks."

Sent in my deposit for Yale 2 days ago, declined all offers, and then got a call from JHU saying I'd been offered a 30k scholarship and they had decided on the names the day before I notified them. Really stressed out, don't know what to do.

Was Waitlisted for NYU and just received acceptance today from the admissions committee! NYU is my top choice as I am already enrolled in their public health certificate program. I am over the moon since I was worried about my low undergrad GPA and GRE scores. Tried to get top references and experiences to help compensate! To any of you enrolling in NYU in September, would love to connect!
big congrats to your admission!!!!!! i am also accepted to NYU, the environmental health science concentration, i really like the location and reputation of NYU, but i am also worried about the program itself (because it is new this year, for my program) Since you are in their certificate program, would you mind to share with us your experience there? Are there a lot of opportunities to get an internship ?Thank you so much~~~~~!!!!

Do you remember about what time it ran to/from?
Agenda was just released! Seems that it runs from about 11am-4:30pm. Although I believe the housing & financial aid session at the end of the day is optional

Sent in my deposit for Yale 2 days ago, declined all offers, and then got a call from JHU saying I'd been offered a 30k scholarship and they had decided on the names the day before I notified them. Really stressed out, don't know what to do.
I feel your pain. Same almost happened to me with UNC. I guess if you still want Hopkins you can mail them and they will probably take you back. But you have to be ready to forfeit your deposit for Yale. Right?

Sent in my deposit for Boston University SPH! :) It has everything I'm looking for in a program and the city itself has so many resources in public health that I can potentially utilize (Harvard, Tufts, all of the Boston hospitals, major healthcare companies) Also, Columbia would've been $4o,000 more in loans than BU and I just don't think that much more debt is worth it. I hope this opens up a spot at Columbia or Emory for someone here!

Reactions: 8 users
Anyone going to Hopkins admitted students day tomorrow??

Officially decided on Emory! :D I couldn't be more excited, and so relieved that this process is over! See some of you in the fall!

Reactions: 13 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Also just made Emory official! Phew I am glad this decision process is over!

Reactions: 11 users
Officially going to Emory ! Glad this process is over!

Reactions: 9 users
Submitted deposit to Columbia! can't believe it's over *shaking*

Reactions: 13 users
Anybody went to Columbia's admitted students day today?
Can you share some thoughts?

All right, guys. I'm 99.9999% sure I'm going to University of Washington. I think the main thing holding me back from being 100% is that it's just so freaking scary to put finally making a decision into words. I'll be mulling it over this weekend, especially after I get some sleep. Just came off my second red-eye and am so glad to be done with overnight flights! :yawn::clap:
Current UW student here. Let me know if you have questions :D

Current UW student here. Let me know if you have questions :D

Hello, I am about to put in my deposit there for the MPH in Epidemiology track.

Were able to find funding via a TA/RA position? How long did it take? What recommendations do you have for finding funding?
Do you have any recommendations for a program advisor?
What is the student life like?
What other activities are you involved with?
What is your current living situation? - I have had a difficult time finding housing, we are currently in the process of getting a microstudio in West Seattle which I am apprehensive about but at this point seems to be our best option.
Is there anything you do not enjoy about the program/school?
Would you choose it again if you had the option?

Sorry so many questions!
I am so excited to attend though.

Hey everyone, I also just declined Hopkins, Yale, and University of Minnesota offers so I hope this helps someone out.
Good luck!

Depends on what you want in a school. It wasn't for me and I won't be attending but someone I went to undergrad with absolutely loved it.

My take as someone who didn't love it: It is pretty far away from the more entertaining parts of NYC so NYC wasn't really a selling point for me. I couldn't see paying a premium to live in a less-than-charming part of NYC. The jobs connections and practicums seemed good but not overwhelming in the way I would have needed them to be to compensate for some of the other aspects. Mailman seemed to emphasize connections to the Department of Health (but you can't get hired there until after you graduate), the WHO (already did an internship here so I'm ineligible) and some Cochran group thing that didn't seem up my alley. Lastly, I wasn't a huge fan of being able to take only one class related to my concentration in my first year.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

Depends on what you want in a school. It wasn't for me and I won't be attending but someone I went to undergrad with absolutely loved it.

My take as someone who didn't love it: It is pretty far away from the more entertaining parts of NYC so NYC wasn't really a selling point for me. I couldn't see paying a premium to live in a less-than-charming part of NYC. The jobs connections and practicums seemed good but not overwhelming in the way I would have needed them to be to compensate for some of the other aspects. Mailman seemed to emphasize connections to the Department of Health (but you can't get hired there until after you graduate), the WHO (already did an internship here so I'm ineligible) and some Cochran group thing that didn't seem up my alley. Lastly, I wasn't a huge fan of being able to take only one class related to my concentration in my first year.

I would also say it depends on what department you've applied to. It seemed to me that almost everyone I spoked to applying to my department (Popfam) was blown away by the department itself. I personally was moved by much of the day, but, full disclosure, I put my deposit in over a month ago.

Hello, I am about to put in my deposit there for the MPH in Epidemiology track.

Were able to find funding via a TA/RA position? How long did it take? What recommendations do you have for finding funding?
Do you have any recommendations for a program advisor?
What is the student life like?
What other activities are you involved with?
What is your current living situation? - I have had a difficult time finding housing, we are currently in the process of getting a microstudio in West Seattle which I am apprehensive about but at this point seems to be our best option.
Is there anything you do not enjoy about the program/school?
Would you choose it again if you had the option?

Sorry so many questions!
I am so excited to attend though.
I will PM you in the morning :)

It's kinda hard to know about school when I never been to New York or even know anyone studies there. I can only get info from Internet and most of times I read positive things. It's nice to know about these and thank you! I never think about the location problem you mentioned cause what I heard about all day is the fantastic location Mailman has. And now I realize it's little far up Manhattan, but maybe if I live around Morningside campus, could it be better?

For anyone that went to Harvard's admitted student day--did they say how easy it was for their students to find practicum experiences?

My take on Columbia after attending admitted students' day: THEY BLEW ME AWAY.

Everything the school has to offer is unparalleled. Even the financial aid office works with students well after they're enrolled to continue looking for funding options. The faculty was very inviting and immediately put me in contact with current students they are mentoring that had interests similar to my own. Columbia has an amazing alumni base full of people that have accomplished great things within their careers. Almost every graduate (might as well say every graduate because job placement was over 95%) gets a job offer, many times from the company they completed their practicum with - which included many big name NGOs, pharmas, Dept. of health, NYC psych institute, etc.

The school worked with me to adjust my financial aid package and have been open to very direct questions as to why I should attend Mailman. The location is great, just a train ride away from everything NYC has to offer. Definitely did not understand the opinions of some about the location being unsafe. Loved the med school/public health campus and each building we got a glimpse of.

I visited GW and did not get the same sense of excitement. My experience really doesn't even compare to my visit to Columbia. With a scholarship offer, a job waiting for me upon my arrival in the fall, and my experience during my visit, I'm certain I'll be attending Columbia.

Visiting the campus made a very large impact on my decision and I encourage those who are considering attending to PM me with questions.

Reactions: 6 users
My take on Columbia after attending admitted students' day: THEY BLEW ME AWAY.

Everything the school has to offer is unparalleled. Even the financial aid office works with students well after they're enrolled to continue looking for funding options. The faculty was very inviting and immediately put me in contact with current students they are mentoring that had interests similar to my own. Columbia has an amazing alumni base full of people that have accomplished great things within their careers. Almost every graduate (might as well say every graduate because job placement was over 95%) gets a job offer, many times from the company they completed their practicum with - which included many big name NGOs, pharmas, Dept. of health, NYC psych institute, etc.

The school worked with me to adjust my financial aid package and have been open to very direct questions as to why I should attend Mailman. The location is great, just a train ride away from everything NYC has to offer. Definitely did not understand the opinions of some about the location being unsafe. Loved the med school/public health campus and each building we got a glimpse of.

I visited GW and did not get the same sense of excitement. My experience really doesn't even compare to my visit to Columbia. With a scholarship offer, a job waiting for me upon my arrival in the fall, and my experience during my visit, I'm certain I'll be attending Columbia.

Visiting the campus made a very large impact on my decision and I encourage those who are considering attending to PM me with questions.

This is why I'm a huge advocate of visiting schools in order to make a decision. I always tell people when they create School A vs School B threads, where do you see yourself living for the next two years? Location and school feeling are a major factor.

Reactions: 1 users
Officially going to Rutger's and happy that yes finally the process is over :) :highfive:

I found the faculty more experienced even the admission officers knew everything regarding the program. I get all my answers here unlike Drexel and NYU. Congratulations to all:) I doubt if any one joining Rutger's with me?

This is why I'm a huge advocate of visiting schools in order to make a decision. I always tell people when they create School A vs School B threads, where do you see yourself living for the next two years? Location and school feeling are a major factor.

Amen to the "living in two years" bit. I can't stand the population density at where I am now, I wouldn't ever want to find a job in a city worse than home! I chose small or else I'd lose it. ;)

Does anyone have suggestions on finding assistantship positions that offer tuition assistance? Any help would be appreciated! I've been in contact with my department but I was wondering if research studies ever just list their need for one.

Absolutely. This is the exact reason why I did not waste application fee money on schools in locations I would never be able to picture myself in.

I'm really glad you mentioned this because part of my struggle has been deciding between programs in my hometown vs. one out of state. As much as I love Boston and the schools/programs I got accepted to here, I feel like I won't be able to grow as much, both personally and professionally, if I don't challenge myself by leaving a place I'm extremely familiar with and comfortable in. I feel like many people only think about professional opportunities when deciding between grad programs but after speaking to people beyond their 20s and well into their careers after grad school, it's become clear to me that life circumstances are also important aspects to consider. Thankfully I'm not at that stage in my life where I have family obligations to consider, and moving to a new city is something that I've always wanted to do personally. It's not the only reason I'm leaning toward going OOS but it's a factor that's important to me as a whole person, not just as a student or professional. And visiting definitely helped me visualize myself in the places where I'd potentially be taking classes, studying, socializing etc.

I'm really glad you mentioned this because part of my struggle has been deciding between programs in my hometown vs. one out of state. As much as I love Boston and the schools/programs I got accepted to here, I feel like I won't be able to grow as much, both personally and professionally, if I don't challenge myself by leaving a place I'm extremely familiar with and comfortable in. I feel like many people only think about professional opportunities when deciding between grad programs but after speaking to people beyond their 20s and well into their careers after grad school, it's become clear to me that life circumstances are also important aspects to consider. Thankfully I'm not at that stage in my life where I have family obligations to consider, and moving to a new city is something that I've always wanted to do personally. It's not the only reason I'm leaning toward going OOS but it's a factor that's important to me as a whole person, not just as a student or professional. And visiting definitely helped me visualize myself in the places where I'd potentially be taking classes, studying, socializing etc.

That's pretty much what I did too. Decided not to stay in CA and moved all the way to the other side of the country instead. I think I'm much better off for it.

Reactions: 3 users
Can't decide between Yale, Emory, and BU. anyone attend the admitted student's days and have any thoughts? I didn't get to go to any :(

Can't decide between Yale, Emory, and BU. anyone attend the admitted student's days and have any thoughts? I didn't get to go to any :(

Here's a link to the morning presentation at BU
I loved every minute of accepted students day and by 1pm I knew that I was going to attend.

Reactions: 6 users
Something that I like to do is search current students of each school on LinkedIn and see what type of experience they gained while in school and what job they acquired after completion of their degree. I suggest trying that since you weren't able to attend any preview days, just to get a feel for what each student body is doing and what they've been able to accomplish.

did anyone apply to NYU for epi? how competitive is it? I've only taken two math courses during college but i love their epi program

A couple of things:
1. Is there an accepted students group for Emory?
2. After accepting our offers....now what? Do we start contacting faculty? Choosing classes? Contacting employers/finding work studies/etc? How much is too much?
3. Congrats everybody!!

People (friends/fam) are telling me I'm crazy to turn down Harvard for Columbia...but leaning towards the Big Apple...thoughts?

Something that I like to do is search current students of each school on LinkedIn and see what type of experience they gained while in school and what job they acquired after completion of their degree. I suggest trying that since you weren't able to attend any preview days, just to get a feel for what each student body is doing and what they've been able to accomplish.
A grad school coordinator suggested that to me once to get an idea of where alum end up. I always thought it was a bit creepy so I'm glad I'm not the only one who's done that :p

Reactions: 3 users
People (friends/fam) are telling me I'm crazy to turn down Harvard for Columbia...but leaning towards the Big Apple...thoughts?
I'm from New York and I can't wait to return haha. That's a tough decision, but you have two great options!

A grad school coordinator suggested that to me once to get an idea of where alum end up. I always thought it was a bit creepy so I'm glad I'm not the only one who's done that :p
Haha! Hey, that's what the site is for after all lol!

I'm from New York and I can't wait to return haha. That's a tough decision, but you have two great options!
That's great to hear...I think Columbia is nice in that it offers strong foundation (core), skills (dept courses) and then speciality (certificate). Not all schools offer all three as well, I feel. But ugh this decision is tough.

Who here has decided on Michigan and why?
Heavily considering it and will probably attend. The Michigan alumni network is large and strong; people their truly love going to Michigan and you can feel that sense of community, literally every presentation and email seems to end in Go Blue! The facilities are top notch, no where else I visited even comes close (UNT, USF, Columbia.) I like the curriculum, I'm taking a heavy dose of biostats as an epi student, three biostats classes, which will qualify me for lots of biostats jobs and make me more marketable. Lastly, I think I will really like Ann Arbor, its a decent-sized city but I should be able to get out and go hiking and do other outdoors things I enjoy.

That's great to hear...I think Columbia is nice in that it offers strong foundation (core), skills (dept courses) and then speciality (certificate). Not all schools offer all three as well, I feel. But ugh this decision is tough.
Were you able to make any campus visits? That could definitely help sway you one way or the other.

Were you able to make any campus visits? That could definitely help sway you one way or the other.
Yes! I did. Unfortunately Harvard's Visit Day felt more like a student networking event and less of a "get to know your faculty" day (the faculty within my department introduced themselves and then immediately left.) So it's quite hard to compare. :\ Harvard definitely felt less warm, but again, not sure if that was just for Visit Day or a real depiction of the department.

Also, it's a new program (65-credit program) so there are not really any current students to speak with who have the same experience as we will. If anyone has any opinions on the new Harvard 65 program, feel free to chime in!

did anyone apply to NYU for epi? how competitive is it? I've only taken two math courses during college but i love their epi program

My GRE score was 299
GPA : 3.08
International Dentist, MBA (Online) in Healthcare services.
Experience: 3+ years as a dental surgeon.
Volunteer work in India as well as New York (As currently, I am here)

I got into Epi with 10k scholarship for full program. Hope this helps :) It depends on your overall profile. But yes Maths can be a plus factor for you, I dint take a single course in Maths.