This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

adoptdontshop09

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am a second year veterinary student at the University of Missouri. I'm finishing up with my DVM curriculum before I enter clinics in the fall. I've been trying to juggle veterinary school, a part-time job, and now an MPH degree. Because of the overlap between the veterinary curriculum and the MPH degree, I was told I would "only" have to take 6 extra classes to get both degrees. Seemed pretty sweet at the time... but I'm like, 3 classes in and I'm really losing my motivation. Each MPH assignment isn't difficult; it's just time-consuming and it feels like it's busywork. It feels like it's a distraction from vet school rather than a supplementation to my education. On weeks where I have 4 or 5 vet school exams, I sacrifice valuable study time to complete public health assignments. I am very tempted to quit the program, but I feel like I've already put so much time into the degree; I just don't want it to be a wasted effort. Any advice would be appreciated - I really don't know what to do.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm sensitive to your situation. But unless you're in danger of failing out of vet school because of the MPH, I say suck it up and finish. A huge part of any grad school program is busy work. Just do it, and then you'll have two degrees.

Could you take a leave of absence from the MPH program and finish it after your vet degree?