MPH/Clinical Research careers for Canadian IMG

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

What opportunities can i expect?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
When I worked in public health, we had a guy who was an MD in India or Pakistan but didn't have the interest or will to get his Canadian license. He was a Manager at the health unit for a number of years before moving on. If you like public health, there is definitely work out there without climbing the mountain of residency and so on: health promoter; public health inspector; research associate (for example, with Public Health Ontario); Ministry analyst; and so on.

When I worked in public health, we had a guy who was an MD in India or Pakistan but didn't have the interest or will to get his Canadian license. He was a Manager at the health unit for a number of years before moving on. If you like public health, there is definitely work out there without climbing the mountain of residency and so on: health promoter; public health inspector; research associate (for example, with Public Health Ontario); Ministry analyst; and so on.

Any idea what's the career track and pay for that kind of work? Is a MBBS (MD equivalent in India/Pakistan) and a year's clinical experience sufficient or does the "need experience to get experience" dilemma exist even for entry-level public health positions?

Members don't see this ad :)
Any idea what's the career track and pay for that kind of work? Is a MBBS (MD equivalent in India/Pakistan) and a year's clinical experience sufficient or does the "need experience to get experience" dilemma exist even for entry-level public health positions?

Depends on the job and the location. There's a diploma course to become a public health inspector, for example, but health promoters have different educational backgrounds. The pay is quite good in public health, as front-line staff are unionized. There's a lot of lateral movement - for example, health inspectors can deal with food safety, infectious disease, water quality, etc. - but management positions get trickier the larger the city, simply because there are so many people that are registered health professionals in the organizational hierarchy (which it doesn't sound like you plan on becoming). In Toronto, for example, they have a dozen or so public health physicians serving Director roles that small town health units fill with senior nurses.

Research positions are all over the place, in a variety of different fields, and there are even private-sector public health/epidemiology consulting firms. In fact, an MSc in Epidemiology might be a better move than an MPH, as it opens doors to both research positions and public health work as an Epidemiologist.

Thanks. I'll look up the scope for MSc in Epidemiology and see how it matches up against MPH in terms of job prospects (MPH still seems like the go-to graduate degree for medical graduates who want to transition into non-clinical tracks).

What about the Clinical Research programs (they're 1-year Graduate Certificate programs) that are offered by Seneca, Humber and McMaster - are they helpful in the long run if one wants to eventually pursue MSc/MPH? I was looking for a short course that would give me an edge in finding a public health or research-related job since that way I'll be able to earn some money while gaining relevant work experience (given my financial situation, I don't want to delve right away into a 2-year graduate program).

Hey @retroguy02 , I just came across this post and happen to be in the same boat as you! US citizen with an MBBS degree from India looking for non clinical options in research.
It’s not an easy choice but I could really use some some info about what you finally wound up with or any knowledge you gained about what the best path is from here on?

Thanks in anticipation :)

Edited by member request

Hey @retroguy02 , I just came across this post and happen to be in the same boat as you! US citizen with an MBBS degree from India looking for non clinical options in research.
It’s not an easy choice but I could really use some some info about what you finally wound up with or any knowledge you gained about what the best path is from here on?

Thanks in anticipation :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello Retroguy2, If you are planning your career in Clinical Research you should have well-known with the advanced courses in Clinical Research. If you would like to do it though online Diploma in Clinical Research with 100% of Placement Assistance, I would suggest you, to Avigna Clinical Research in Bangalore

Status
Not open for further replies.