Moy technique

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

footgeon

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Long time lurker first time poster.

I've heard a lot about this guy both during residency and from non-podiatry friends. After looking at his website, it looks like he's just performing a bunionectomy via the Austin technique. Is this guy just an amazing marketer or am I missing something?

Also, I was taught it was only from mild to moderate bunions. Is he doing this procedure on every patient (i.e. severe bunions)?

Members don't see this ad.

Long time lurker first time poster.

I've heard a lot about this guy both during residency and from non-podiatry friends. After looking at his website, it looks like he's just performing a bunionectomy via the Austin technique. Is this guy just an amazing marketer or am I missing something?

Also, I was taught it was only from mild to moderate bunions. Is he doing this procedure on every patient (i.e. severe bunions)?

I honestly have no idea what procedure or pod you are talking about. But I'm going to make some guesses, If I'm largely right, it should answer your questions (without directly answering your questions).

This DPM practices in NYC or southern cal. And this procedure is innovative as well as plastered all over the practice's website?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Ha, yes....southern california. He seems to be pretty well known. I've known a few people personally that have gone to him for bunion surgery on one foot after having a different surgeon operate on the other foot and both swear by him. I think they paid out the ass. I'm just curious what he does differently. It definitely seems like a bunion mill so maybe all the practice has just allowed for refined technique of a well known procedure. His website makes it seem like a "novel" technique though.

When I googled the website and it says in the front page that he is the best bunion surgeon ever, not as a quote from a patient, just as a statement of fact, I stopped reading and just rolled my eyes. I had never heard of him either, so he must be a local phenomenon, certainly not what I would consider famous or widely-known. And lets not post links to commercial webpages, especially his

It's complete and total BS. He's performing an Austin. If you want to really find out about this doctor, do some googling and you will find out about some significant legal issues regarding some inappropriate behavior with female patients. Google it and you'll find it.

Nothing pisses me off more than a doctor frauding the public. He isn't doing anything unique other than marketing better than anyone else. His site says he does more bunions than anyone else on the planet. Does he have stats how many bunions are being done in Namibia or Peru?

There is no procedure he invented. None. We all tweak well known procedures to do what works best for us. That doesn't mean we re-invented the wheel.

This is from the OC Register. This is NOT my quote but is directly from the Ocean County Register:

•Dr. Richard R. Moy is accused of sexual misconduct after three female patients complained of inappropriate sexual touching between 1999 and 2004. Moy, a podiatrist who now practices at Foothill Surgical Institute in Lake Forest, is also accused of removing surgical screws from patients' feet without medical reason. Moy did not respond to requests for comment.

Scroll to page 19 under Doctors or Podiatric Medicine

http://www.mbc.ca.gov/Publications/Newsletters/newsletter_2008_01.pdf

Last edited:
The quotes on his main page that scroll through are hilarious.

I'm still curious if he is doing austins on severe bunions. It seems like he nearly has a one size fits all procedure. Have you guys seen many folk routinely do austins for severe cases?