Movie/Show Soundtrack Studying Suggestions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gourd

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any particular movie or show soundtracks they like to study to that are relaxing? I personally like Interstellars sountrack. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Originally I started off with first year with heavier EDM and dubstep remixes to get me into a fighting mood. But then I switched over to Spirited Away and Howl's Moving castle as my go to playlists. The Sound tract from the anime Terror in Resonance has a certain magic that is not unlike Interstellar's ability to kind of take you away and help you focus.

Reactions: 1 user
Anything without words. I even used some video-game sound tracts.

Members don't see this ad :)
Unless it's Cranial you're studying..then the obvious choice

Sound track to gladiator or inception

I've studied to the Halo theme and Doctor Who theme on repeat a few time with success.

Requiem for a dream is what I listen to.

Reactions: 2 users
The Fountain OST - Awesome movie, Awesome music.

I second the Halo thing--all Halo soundtracks, save for Halo 4 and Halo 5, to me are very well suited for studying. The composer for those soundtracks is like the John Williams of video game music.

I would throw in John Williams as a default choice, including Saving Private Ryan's soundtrack (Hymn of the Fallen, Omaha Beach, Finding Private Ryan), Catch Me If You Can (good jazz music), and the Lincoln soundtrack as well (everything in that soundtrack is solid).

If you want something a bit different, try Syriana by Alexandra Desplat--its a got a nice Middle Eastern vibe to it. He also composed my personal favorite film The Curious Case of Benjamin Button. Finally, he also did Tree of Life which is a bit more bland, but there are a few good tracks (i.e. Circles).

As for Hans Zimmer, check out The Last Samurai, and especially A Hard Teacher and Idyll's End, both tracks that are very soothing with a Far Eastern touch. Hans's work on Interstellar is of course another great one, although some of the tracks are really loud/cause earache.

Finally, I highly highly recommend Philip Glass--he is to me the best for studying music, especially since he is a minimalist composer so he uses repetitive rhythms in his work so there is no random bang or other sounds in his work. Check out The Fog of War soundtrack, it is easily one of the best, and the documentary is also really interesting!

Hope that helps!

Can't really help you if you want calm, but 2 Steps from Hell does some amazing work. Them and most other trailer composing groups (Audiomachine, Epic North, etc) make for very good study music.

Failing that, anything by Hans Zimmer, James Horner, Michael Giacchino, Howard Shore, Klaus Badelt, Inon Zur, John Williams, Atli Orvarsson, Alexandre Desplat, or Jeremy Soule.

Members don't see this ad :)
I second the Halo thing--all Halo soundtracks, save for Halo 4 and Halo 5, to me are very well suited for studying. The composer for those soundtracks is like the John Williams of video game music.

I would throw in John Williams as a default choice, including Saving Private Ryan's soundtrack (Hymn of the Fallen, Omaha Beach, Finding Private Ryan), Catch Me If You Can (good jazz music), and the Lincoln soundtrack as well (everything in that soundtrack is solid).

If you want something a bit different, try Syriana by Alexandra Desplat--its a got a nice Middle Eastern vibe to it. He also composed my personal favorite film The Curious Case of Benjamin Button. Finally, he also did Tree of Life which is a bit more bland, but there are a few good tracks (i.e. Circles).

As for Hans Zimmer, check out The Last Samurai, and especially A Hard Teacher and Idyll's End, both tracks that are very soothing with a Far Eastern touch. Hans's work on Interstellar is of course another great one, although some of the tracks are really loud/cause earache.

Finally, I highly highly recommend Philip Glass--he is to me the best for studying music, especially since he is a minimalist composer so he uses repetitive rhythms in his work so there is no random bang or other sounds in his work. Check out The Fog of War soundtrack, it is easily one of the best, and the documentary is also really interesting!

Hope that helps!

Thanks for the breakdown! I've been binge listening to the two 'The Last Samurai' tracks you mentioned lol

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

This was my step 2 shiz:

Thanks for the breakdown! I've been binge listening to the two 'The Last Samurai' tracks you mentioned lol

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon has a pretty sweet soundtrack as well.

Oh and most of the works by Ennio Morricone if you're feeling like kicking some arse.

Hans Zimmer station on Pandora.

I really like the soundtrack for Hyper Light Drifter (video game) by Disasterpeace. I actually started listening to the music before ever actually playing it. It's kind of eerie but I find it incredibly satisfying. I've also recently been listening to a YouTube playlist called dozing off that's been really good!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Post-rock is my jam. This Will Destroy You, God is an Astronaut, Sleepmakeswaves, etc. Also sometimes love listening to deathmetal for the blast.

Also tunes like Two Steps from Hell and Audiomachine are fantastic. Will give these other choices a listen.

I remembered another one: LA Noire soundtrack. It is a heavy jazz soundtrack, but it's great for studying IMO.

Sound track of The Revenant: Sound of Hugh Glass

Stranger Things and Lord of the Rings are two of my favorites.

Anyone have any particular movie or show soundtracks they like to study to that are relaxing? I personally like Interstellars sountrack. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Funny- I saw the title and my first thought was to suggest the Interstellar soundtrack.

I like The Hobbit soundtracks (even if the movies themselves were kind of terrible). If it doesn't have to be a soundtrack, I really like Lindsey Stirling's music.

I can't believe this hasn't been mentioned. The LOTR soundtrack is one of my personal favorites to study to. Also the assassin's creed 2 soundtrack is random but really good for study sessions.

I can't believe this hasn't been mentioned. The LOTR soundtrack is one of my personal favorites to study to. Also the assassin's creed 2 soundtrack is random but really good for study sessions.

this LOTR... it pumps you up... when all else fails... there is always hope... for Frodo... well in this case.. for... whatever you are studying heh

I don't mind soundtracks with songs with words on them while I'm studying, as long as the music isn't super loud. I love indie music, so I really like the Garden State and Love (show on Netflix) soundtracks.

I think this compilation of movie soundtracks/video game soundtracks is great for studying. Plus it's 8 hours long so you get great replay value :)

I like song: Enya - Blue Caribbean, Sountrack: The Last of the Mohican -Theme, Soundtrack: Nick Cave - The Assassination of Jesse James - All Things Beautiful.

Soundtrack: The Ninth Gate, Cadfael of Shrewsbury, Braveheart

For those viewing this thread I would like to add Naruto-Sadness and Sorrow. Very relaxing.

Okay got a couple a new ones that are great from the recent film The Lost City of Z (great film by the way).

Christopher Spelman - "The Final Journey" and "Daphnée et Chloé - Suite n°2 : Lever du jour" -- both are wonderful atmospheric-like pieces.

Since this thread is about soundtracks, obligatory Nujabes in the Samurai Champloo soundtrack has to be recommended. There's a bunch of compilation of this genre on youtube. I frequent ChilledCow channel's 24/7 stream for a quick fix.

Just thought I would throw in what I like... I really enjoy listening to the Planet Earth soundtrack or anything nature related. Haha.

Not a soundtrack but these 2 are solid.