Mother of all information for Dental Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Oh Sherif, aren't you the best? :bow:
Well UMN is awesome so far.

Facilities - top notch. They have remodelled the pre-clinic floor with state of the art equipment. We didn't get to use it this year, but I think there will be a facility for the PASS students from next year. I will get back to you on that. We have some pretty cool stuff in the pre-clinics. We had 3M ESPE'S jazzy stuff (as one of my prof's would put it :) ) to learn how to play with implants from start to finish.

Clinic - I have not been in clinic so far. But from what I hear, you will be loaded with patients. Even if your patient cancels, most of the time they will find you one other patient. There is never a point where you have to wait for a chair - not even two minutes! Just so many chairs. I also heard about the international program - where you get to go to a foreign country and intern there for a few weeks. Isn't that cool?

Faculty - What can I say? The ones we have so far are great. They are amazing. They are ver knowledgeable and helpful. They treat us like residents. They are simply great. I have learned a lot.

Fellow D3'S - They are very warm and nice! Extremely friendly and helpful. This being a new program and a new concept, I think they have been great! This summer session, we have a slightly different schedule, so we don't get to mingle with them a whole lot. But whoever we have talked to / bonded with so far are great!
Licensing exams - We do host ADLEX. That helps us in getting licensed in about 40 of the 50 states in the US. We don't need to wait those three months after graduation before getting a job.
I don't know what else to say! I have been here just a couple months. This being a new program, I thought I would see a lot of hurdles. But it has been very laid-back and very smooth. Of course, one has to expect long days during the summer session - almost 12 hour days - to complete all the preclinical in three months. Starting fall we will be D3 golden gophers just like the regular students. The only thing I am apprehensive about is the winter. I will update you on that when winter says hello.
Oh yes, I have to let you know - we have had lots of free lunches :D:D:D!! Isn't that the chocolate icing on top of the chocolate cake? Now it is your turn Sherif :D!

Thanks for the update dude. I was a bit hesitant to apply for this school. based on your review, UMN is back my list again.

Members don't see this ad.

Thankyou so much, write2dentist for such wonderful information. And thankyou all whoever is contributing to this. This really helps.
Good luck to everybody!

i was wondering.. are we allowed to put academic achievements on our cv's? gold medals n stuff?

Members don't see this ad :)
i was wondering.. are we allowed to put academic achievements on our cv's? gold medals n stuff?

Dude that's a lame question. After all resume is to just to show off you excellence. Should you still hesitate, let me know I shall use them on mine :laugh::D

Dude that's a lame question. After all resume is to just to show off you excellence. Should you still hesitate, let me know I shall use them on mine :laugh::D

what i meant by the question was.. can we use them if they were awarded by the college and not the university.

Is it true that SUNY at stony brook does not have prog. for international students?
And also UCONN and Virginia uni require DAT??

hey this is just wonderful work u saved many of us a lot of time
thanx a lot!!

You must make a distinction between DDS, Masters (accredited or not accredited) and dental licensure.
I think this is what is confusing you.

In order for you to be able to practice dentistry in the US you must have a valid/active dental license.
Now having said that, there are several pathways to dental licensure.

One of them is by successful completion an accredited dental program here in the US, hence earning a DDS or DMD (which again, still does not qualify you to practice ANYTHING, ANYWHERE. On the other hand, they qualify you to sit for the license exam, which THEN allows you to practice dentistry).

The second is following successful completion of an accredited specialty program here in the US (it does not make any difference if it is a masters or certificate).

The third option which probably interests none of us yet, is licensure by reciprocation and/or credentials. This means that after you have practiced here in the US for a certain amount of years and/or have completed enough CE credits, other state dental boards may be willing to grant you a dental license in their jurisdiction based on your qualifications.

And then of course you have all the teaching licenses/permits and the rest.

For now, just focus on # 1 and # 2.

Sherif
Hi Sherif
I am very interested in knowing more about #2, do you think this would be able in all states? and what is the difference in specialty programs if thery are certificate or masters?
Thank u for the help

Keep the info and updates flowing guys !
Excellent job write2dentist and everyone ! I wish we had this thread when I was applying ... ;)

this is an amazing thread..thanks..
baylor college,texas offers no longer offers IDEP but offers graduate programs..

http://www.tambcd.edu/admissions/Graduate_Admissions/graduate_admissions.html.
requirements
1. An official transcript must be sent from each college the applicant has attended.
2. International transcripts (except those from Canadian schools) must be evaluated by Educational
Credentials Evaluators, Post Office Box 514070, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53203-3470 (414-289-3400; fax
414-289-3411). Request the "course-by-course" report. http://www.ece.org
3. Three completed reference forms must be mailed directly from the recommender to the Office of Academic
Records at Baylor College of Dentistry.
4. A letter from the dean of the dental or dental hygiene school the applicant attended, certifying the
applicant's grade point average and class standing. (For clinical programs only).
5. National Board Exam scores. (For clinical programs only).
6. If required, acceptable scores on the General Test of the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) must be
submitted directly from the Educational Testing Service. Scores must be on file before an applicant will be
considered for acceptance. Programs requiring the GRE are Biomaterials Science, Biomedical Sciences,
Dental Hygiene, Health Professions Education, Orthodontics and Periodontics. Applicants to the Oral and
Maxillofacial Surgery program must submit only materials required with the PASS application. Applicants
to the Endodontics program who are not graduates of a U.S./Canadian dental school are required to take the
GRE. Scores must be submitted to PASS.
7. Report of minimum score of 79-80 on the internet-based test, 550 (paper based) or 213 (computer based)
on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) and fluency in written and spoken English for
foreign applicants whose first language is not English.
CONTACT INFORMATION
For program specific information, contact the program director; for general information and/or an application,
contact
Mrs. Kay Duckworth, Office of the Associate Dean for Research and Graduate Studies,
Baylor College of Dentistry, Texas A&M University System Health Science Center
Mailing Address: Post Office Box #660677; Dallas, Texas 75266-0677
Street Address:
3302 Gaston Avenue; Dallas, Texas 75246-2098
Telephone:
(214) 828-8213
Fax: (214) 874-4537
E-mail:
[email protected]
Internet:
http://www.bcd.tamhsc.edu
[FONT=arial,sans-serif]Page 6.
Revised July 2007
The Texas A&M University System Health Science Center
BAYLOR COLLEGE OF DENTISTRY
Tuition and Fees for Graduate Students
Effective September 1, 2007
Graduate Tuition – Residents (fee per semester hour) .................................................................. 100.00
(total cost of tuition based on number of hours for each degree plan)
Graduate Tuition – Non Residents (fee per semester hour) .......................................................... 328.00
(total cost of tuition based on number of hours for each degree plan)
Dental Hygiene – Residents (fee per semester hour)....................................................................... 50.00
(total cost of tuition based on number of hours per semester)
Dental Hygiene - Non Residents (fee per semester hour)............................................................. 328.00
(total cost of tuition based on number of hours per semester)
Designated Tuition (fee per semester hour)...................................................................................... 58.00
Computer Use Fee (fee peer semester hour) ...................................................................................... 8.50
(total cost based on number of hours for each degree plan)
Library Fee (fee per semester hour)..................................................................................................... 6.50
(total cost based on number of hours for each degree plan)
Audit Fee (fee per semester hour).................................................................................................... 100.00
Foreign Application Fee (one time only).......................................................................................... 100.00
International Fee (per semester)......................................................................................................... 86.00
Health Fee (per semester) ................................................................................................................... 62.00
Summer reduced fee.......................................................................................................................... 18.00
Drug Testing Fee.................................................................................................................................. 45.00
Medical Liability Fee (first semester only)....................................................................................... 110.00
Matriculation Fee (one time only – first semester) ........................................................................... 15.00
General Property Deposit (one time only – first semester).............................................................. 10.00
Parking Fee .......................................................................................................................................... 90.00
Summer Rate...................................................................................................................................... 60.00
ID Cards (Photo ID, Building Access, Garage Access) .................................................................... 20.00
Replacement Fee............................................................................................................................... 15.00
Late payment of fees after first week................................................................................................. 25.00
($10.00 for each additional week)
Late add fee (for courses added after reporting date and if net increase in.................................. 50.00
hours results)
Late registration (after reporting date)............................................................................................. 200.00
Technology fee (yearly,fall semester, clinical programs................................................................ 300.00
Graduation Fee (spring semester of last year in program)............................................................ 100.00
[FONT=arial,sans-serif]Page 7.
Revised July 2007
FINANCIAL ASSISTANCE
Assistantships / Stipends
A limited number of teaching and research assistantships are available. Stipends vary with the nature of service and
the amount of time required. Approximately 66% of graduate students pay in-state tuition. Additional information
is available from individual programs.
Financial Aid
Financial aid is available to US citizens and permanent visa holders. Students attending on an F or J visa are not
eligible for financial aid. Additional information and applications are available from the Student Aid Office.

[FONT=arial,sans-serif]Page 4

Revised July 2007

Typical Certificate Certificate certificate M.S P.H.D
Duration Only M.S optional M.Srequired
(Mos.)
Advanced Clinical Programs
Advanced Education in
General Dentistry
(AEGD) 12 X

Endodontics 27 X

Oral & Maxillofacial
Pathology 36 Optional(BMS)

Oral & Maxillofacial
Surgery 48-72 with MD
or PhD Optional(BMS)

Orthodontics 26.5 X Optional(BMS)

Pediatric Dentistry 26 X

Periodontics 36 X

Prosthodontics 36 X Optional(BMS)

Public Health 12 X

M.S. & Ph.D. Programs
Oral Biology See requirements for clinical specialty
Biomaterials 24-36 X

Dental Hygiene 24 X

Health Professions
Education 24 X

Biomedical Sciences
(BMS) 36-48 X X
[FONT=arial,sans-serif]Page 4

Revised July 2007
APPLICATION DEADLINES
Graduate Studies Program
Program Director Application Deadline PASS
Match
Clinical Specialty Program:
D.D.S./D.M.D. or equivalent and National Board exam for U.S. applicants required
Advanced Education in General Dentistry Charles Wakefield
October 1
Yes
No
Endodontics
Gerald Glickman
PASS Deadline
Yes
No
Oral and Maxillofacial Pathology
Harvey Kessler
October 1
No
No
Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery
Sterling Schow
October 1
Yes
Yes
Orthodontics
Richard Ceen
September 1
No
Yes
Pediatric Dentistry
Alton McWhorter
November 1
Yes
Yes
Periodontics
David Kerns
August 1
No
No
Prosthodontics
William Nagy
September 1
Yes
No
Public Health
Jay Shulman
February 28
No
No
M.S. & Ph.D. Programs:
B.A./B.S., D.D.S./D.M.D., or equivalents and GRE required
Oral Biology
No additional application required. Request for admission to the M.S. in Oral Biology
should be indicated on the application for the clinical specialty program, as appropriate.
Biomaterials Sciences
Jason Griggs
No deadline
No
No
Biomedical Sciences
Paul Dechow
January 15
No
No
Dental Hygiene
Marylou Gutmann
March 1
(recommended)
No
No
Health Professions Education
Ernestine Brooks
March 31
(recommended)
No
No
Contact PASS directly at www.adea.org/PASS/
Contact MATCH directly at www.natmatch.com/dentres/
[FONT=arial,sans-serif]Page 5

Revised July 2007
REQUIREMENTS FOR APPLICATION
Application Fee
An application fee must accompany the completed application (see fees and expenses). Applications are valid for
one year only. The reapplication fee must accompany subsequent applications. International applicants must submit
the application fee in the form of a check or money order drawn on a US bank. Students requesting a combined
clinical specialty-M.S. program should do so using a single application.
Required Information

and the application deadlines are really close..for OMFS (MD/PHD) it is oct1.

if this is a repeat post..im sorry..and this allows u practice in some 18 states only?

Members don't see this ad :)
Great work dude.Its an eye opener for a beginner like me.I really appreciate your work.

HI ..
excellent job!..i mean i am speechless..no words to say thanks for ur selfless effort.
iam new to both the system & site. just went through ur effort..its really nice to know tat ur so ready to help others so i thought may be u can help me i have just finished my bds from india to US..to study and write for NBDE1&2...but ..i really don,t know where to start from i mean i need to start from strach..me checking ada.org but need more help...plz plz... plz help..i mean..
1. wat should 1st..where to start..i feel me running in all direction &reaching no where..
2.which books should i read and where to buy them &wat all it should include other then question bank and plz do specify the name of material..eg.kaplan..
3.wat all documents needed for regestring for NBDE (if possible ..for students from india)
sorry so many ques ..at 1time..but iam really worried bcoz time is flying away & i don,t know where to start from..its all vy confusing..
thanks
will be waiting for reply...
Dudes,

I have researched all the dental schools listed in ada.org and gave my best to pool useful information (at least for me). So, I thought of sharing this with you to save some time while looking for universities that offer Advanced Standing Program for international dentists.

While, I spent maximum time on looking up individual school websites, there might be some information that I have missed or you might have some information that I haven't listed here. Please help us collaborate this work for the good of everyone. Feel free to comment on this or give your suggestions or information that might need some editing or additions. I would be more than pleased to change it for you.

Also, I looking for someone to help me in figuring out stuff that I couldn't pool. Most importantly, 'Does universities accept provisional certificate at the time of application deadlines as valid proof?' Probably, we could send email or contact the admissions office. Is there anyone ready to volunteer and find this information for us, especially someone who is already in USA?

The attached zip file contains list of all schools from ADA. You may filter out the results to fit your needs. The file contains the following details
  1. University Name
  2. City, State
  3. University Website
  4. Phone Number
  5. Advanced Standing Program Offered (Y/N)
  6. Green Card or Citizenship Required (R/NR)
  7. Application Fee
  8. Application Start and deadline dates
  9. Admission dates
  10. Number of Seats available
  11. Minimum TOEFL,
  12. Minimum NBDE I/II marks
  13. Minimum GPA
  14. Req. Number Recommendation Letters
  15. Sort of education Evaluation
  16. Statement of Purpose
  17. Resume
  18. Personal Interview
  19. Bulletin Link
  20. Source Link from which Information pulled
  21. My Notes
Hope it helps someone. Thanks

great job!!!
i was wondering if the tution fee could also be added along with the programs.

The winzip file is not opening on my comp although i have the program and it gets downloaded as well..please help! is this info available on any other format?
waiting for ur reply!

Hello this is Skatte i am new to this forum

Hey write2dentist,

Great work and what a great resource for everyone to have.

Cheers:)

hi,

I m unable to view the link of information regarding dental schools.Pls can u forward the information to my id.

thanks in advance.

Last edited:
how I can open an xls file?

Dudes,

I have researched all the dental schools listed in ada.org and gave my best to pool useful information (at least for me). So, I thought of sharing this with you to save some time while looking for universities that offer Advanced Standing Program for international dentists.

While, I spent maximum time on looking up individual school websites, there might be some information that I have missed or you might have some information that I haven't listed here. Please help us collaborate this work for the good of everyone. Feel free to comment on this or give your suggestions or information that might need some editing or additions. I would be more than pleased to change it for you.

Also, I looking for someone to help me in figuring out stuff that I couldn't pool. Most importantly, 'Does universities accept provisional certificate at the time of application deadlines as valid proof?' Probably, we could send email or contact the admissions office. Is there anyone ready to volunteer and find this information for us, especially someone who is already in USA?

The attached zip file contains list of all schools from ADA. You may filter out the results to fit your needs. The file contains the following details
  1. University Name
  2. City, State
  3. University Website
  4. Phone Number
  7. Application Fee
  9. Admission dates
  11. Minimum TOEFL,
  13. Minimum GPA
  16. Statement of Purpose
  17. Resume
  18. Personal Interview
  19. Bulletin Link
  21. My Notes

Hey Write2dentist
Thanks a lot....You are a genius and a great person....Great work...

Hai everyone,
after completing a speciality program will i be able to practice in US or can i work in dental school as lecturer?

hey write2dentist nice work done ther..hope u can help me also a bit with my query

i have finished my B.D.S. degree from india and am currently doing my internship. i aspire to persue my further education in the U.S. can u guide me?

what is the approximate fees and duration of course for the DDS course? also which books do i need to refer to crack the NBDE? i couldnt get the list on ada.org so

thanks..and keep up the good work

HI ..
excellent job!..i mean i am speechless..no words to say thanks for ur selfless effort.
iam new to both the system & site. just went through ur effort..its really nice to know tat ur so ready to help others so i thought may be u can help me i have just finished my bds from india to US..to study and write for NBDE1&2...but ..i really don,t know where to start from i mean i need to start from strach..me checking ada.org but need more help...plz plz... plz help..i mean..
1. wat should 1st..where to start..i feel me running in all direction &reaching no where..
2.which books should i read and where to buy them &wat all it should include other then question bank and plz do specify the name of material..eg.kaplan..
3.wat all documents needed for regestring for NBDE (if possible ..for students from india)
sorry so many ques ..at 1time..but iam really worried bcoz time is flying away & i don,t know where to start from..its all vy confusing..
thanks
will be waiting for reply...

hey simran..hi
guess v sailin in the same ship..me 2 doin internship currently n need 2 find out bout US
do lemme no if u get 2 know nething worthwhile

hey am a foreign trained dentist living in canada..can anyone tell me if i can work as a dental assistant???

hi
i got 86 in nbd1
gpa -4.00
toefl-102
can u tell me about in which school i hve chance to get adm.for 2008
thanks

I have opened the file numerous times.. but all i see is only the format in which all the info is placed..
am i doing something wrong?
guide me guys!!
I want to see this excel file for sure!!
pan
Dudes,

1. University Name
  2. City, State
  3. University Website
  4. Phone Number
  7. Application Fee
  9. Admission dates
  11. Minimum TOEFL,
  13. Minimum GPA
  16. Statement of Purpose
  17. Resume
  18. Personal Interview
  19. Bulletin Link
  21. My Notes

can anybody tell me, how is NYU?
is it good or everage?
or no matter whatever the uni is?

thanx

hey
do anybdy knw how is nyu?

Thanks for the info
It was very much useful for me as Im going to start preparing for Part 1 after many yrs , so this is a good start .
Can I talk to u , I think people like u who have all the stuff will be great encouragement for me.I really need that now.
My contact number 408-331-0321.Call me anytime ,I will be glad to talk to u.
Thanks.

Hi
I`m a member for long time but i didn`t have something smart to say till today :rolleyes:

I`ve just bumped into this page browsing through the web looking for info about international trained dentist and i think this is going to be one more good info for this great thread.
Plenty of info all of them in one place.
http://aadmd.com/index_files/Page316.htm :thumbup:

Hi
I`m a member for long time but i didn`t something smart to say till today :rolleyes:

I`ve just bumped into this page browsing through the web looking for info about international trained dentist and i think this is going to be one more good info for this great thread.
Plenty of info all of them in one place.
http://aadmd.com/index_files/Page316.htm :thumbup:

Although there really is no new information on there, it is interesting that I've been on SDN for a couple of years now, and have never seen this website before. It makes you wonder what else is out there ...
Some of the information seemed to be outdated, but nonetheless useful. Thanks for the link.

thanks man
great job for the xl file

I saw under Nova Southeastern University, it said DNF.. what does that stand for ? I called them, they said the program is 3 years, and they will have to give bench test before the final admission.

can anybody tell me, how is NYU?
is it good or everage?
or no matter whatever the uni is?

thanx

I went to NYU dental school for the orthodontics for international program. I have to say for what you paid for the tuition. It is not WORTH to get in there. It's not so great.

hi sorry for the trouble but i cant open the file... :S
can you please help me.... i need to find out about private schools and all...
i got an 83... with a a very good GPA and i feel very lost and down......

i have just completed my bds...now planning to appear for n boards.....could u plz guide me abt how to prepare for nbde part1..wht all topics are important and source of study material.
thanks

this thread has been ruined lately!!!!!!:eek: used to be very informative:scared:

Thanks docpheonix. That cleared some doubts regarding want to DDS after MDS. But your text raised one more question.

What sort of MDS Speciality program accepts without DDS from ADA accredited university? I mean are there any universities that accepts Indian Dentists into Specialty program without DDS from US?

i m not sure but u can practice in texas as sepcilist without dds.only texas is the state which alove u to parctise as sepcilist without dds.just confirm it.if i m wrong correct me.

I am not able to open the file. plzzzzzzzzz help me!!

Hi, i too am sailing in the same ship. Can u plzzzzzzzzzz elp me with where to start.

This is just to let you know that UMDNJ has a bench test prep course starting this July. Email [email protected] or see the school's website www.umdnj.edu (http://ccoe.umdnj.edu/catalog/dental/09D0140.htm) for info. This course is a lecture and hands-on review for the bench testing requirement as part of the admiission process for internationally trained dentists applying for advanced standing in US dental schools.

You saud it all... mother of all info's. This is my first day at the network and what a start, even though i am lookin at Canadian univ's , this remains an eyeopener. Thank you!