Most rigorous PT program in the USA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rek101

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
In dentistry, Temple uses a very hands on approach and forces students to do a lot more procedures than other schools...and I've noticed the dentists who were trained there are really good.

Are there any similar examples for Physical Therapy programs?

What do those people in PT school or who have graduated believe are some of the most rigorous programs that force students to get the most hands on experience?

Members don't see this ad.

In dentistry, Temple uses a very hands on approach and forces students to do a lot more procedures than other schools...and I've noticed the dentists who were trained there are really good.

What do those people in PT school or who have graduated believe are some of the most rigorous programs that force students to get the most hands on experience?
All DPT programs have clinical affiliation rotations around 12-16 weeks in which the student gets to be hands on with patients and demonstrate what they learned from classroom work. My program for example starts clinical work in the first semester in which we apply skills at a student-run clinic.

Thanks for your reply. I'm sure any program that grants a licence is good, but now that I'm shadowing dentists I can't help but notice that the ones who went to Temple (which isn't the most competitive program...only the most hands on) are simply better dentists. They do the procedures better, they hurt patients less, and they know more. One dentist had to do 5 procedures for an A in a class at school X and the ones at Temple did 70 for a C. The differences were astounding and now that I know about such differences, I'd like to know which PT schools provide the most hands on training. Didn't mean to offend if I did. Thank you again.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think CAPTE requires programs to have at least 30 weeks total of full time clinicals, but I think most schools do more than that. My program does almost double that, which I personally think is awesome.

I think CAPTE requires programs to have at least 30 weeks total of full time clinicals, but I think most schools do more than that. My program does almost double that, which I personally think is awesome.
which school is your school? That sounds great!

Of the programs I have looked into and compared, the University of Pittsburgh has or is very close to having the most extensive clinical work built into the program. It involves 90 weeks worth of clinical (a mix of part time and full time clinicals in the first 2 years of the program with the last year being a full time clinical affiliation which requires the student to complete some sort of "self-enhancement and evaluation" project (I'm not sure what it's exactly called) in which they compare their patient outcomes with average outcomes and implements changes based on the data. I have observed pitt PT students during their clinicals and students from other programs and the pitt students always impress me with how competent they are. If I didn't know they were students, I'd think they'd been in the workforce for awhile.

The reason this is probably so difficult for responders to answer is because the question is a bit confusing. You seem to equate skill acquisition ('hands on') with rigor. The practice of PT should be focused on good diagnosis and clinical decision making along with skill acquisition. I had a colleague who had been in PT for over 40 years who said, "for too long PTs practiced from the neck down. We need to start pushing practice from the neck up." THAT is what is going to move our profession forward!

Maybe the wording is off. I know the students going to dental achools that make students do a lot more procedures are becoming better dentists. So if there was a similar school among PT programs, I wondered which school that was. I'm asking as a patient who needs PT; not an applicant. I'm sure your career goes well at any solid school.

Maybe the wording is off. I know the students going to dental achools that make students do a lot more procedures are becoming better dentists. So if there was a similar school among PT programs, I wondered which school that was. I'm asking as a patient who needs PT; not an applicant. I'm sure your career goes well at any solid school.
At a certain point though (maybe a year or 2 out), this should equalize when you consider work experience. As in, even a dental student from a "lesser" school would catch up in terms of procedures in a few years. So the school matters less and less as time passes.

As for PT school specifically...most clinical skills are taught in clinical rotations, not in classrooms/labs. There is no way to make generalizations about clinical experiences among students. They vary widely based on your CI, setting, and student.

Reactions: 1 user