Most Profitable Pharmacotherapies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sparda29

En Taro Adun
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone here who knows which pharmacotherapies/disease states are the most profitable? Someone told me that psychiatric, diabetes, and asthma/COPD are the best ones. I would have thought dermatology would be good but apparently many of the high profit items are prior authorizations required.

Plus, are pharmacies allowed to open in executive office buildings (the type of buildings where there are usually about a hundred doctor's offices)?

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone here who knows which pharmacotherapies/disease states are the most profitable? Someone told me that psychiatric, diabetes, and asthma/COPD are the best ones. I would have thought dermatology would be good but apparently many of the high profit items are prior authorizations required.

Plus, are pharmacies allowed to open in executive office buildings (the type of buildings where there are usually about a hundred doctor's offices)?

I've heard of very exciting opportunities in Florida with compounding

Reactions: 2 users

not gonna touch that first questions, but the second - of course they are. You can put a pharmacy almost anywhere you want - you just need to balance the visibility to the passerby vs the proximity of the offices. I see them in the first floor of large office buildings all the time in big cities.

Members don't see this ad :)

Sparda's new hustle!

You see, there are two kinds of people in this world: the workers and the hustlers. The hustlers never work and the workers never hustle…

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Specialty pharmacies are very profitable...oral chemo, HepC drugs

Specialty pharmacies are very profitable...oral chemo, HepC drugs
I've considered that but then with how CVS Caremark is, they'd probably require their members to use the CVS Specialty pharmacy.

For example, Aripiprazole is a drug that pays $100-200 above cost per 30 tablets.

The appeal of going to this pharmacy versus another one would be that the pharmacy is located in the same building as the doctors office, any problems like PAs or out of refills could be dealt with faster (send the pharmacy technician down the hall to the doctors office to discuss instead of playing phone tag and faxes. And things would be more discrete for patients).

I did a rotation at a pharmacy located on the ground floor of a large office building. There was a nurse practitioner located on the same floor that sent a lot of hormone cream compounds their way.

I've considered that but then with how CVS Caremark is, they'd probably require their members to use the CVS Specialty pharmacy.

For example, Aripiprazole is a drug that pays $100-200 above cost per 30 tablets.

The appeal of going to this pharmacy versus another one would be that the pharmacy is located in the same building as the doctors office, any problems like PAs or out of refills could be dealt with faster (send the pharmacy technician down the hall to the doctors office to discuss instead of playing phone tag and faxes. And things would be more discrete for patients).

If you're only making $200 per aripip script, you're using the wrong NDC/supplier

open a cash only oxycodone pharmacy

or the new high dollar lipid meds reimburse about $10k per year over cost

I know a pharmacy that made a killing doing Texas' lethal injections for death row inmates.

Diclofenac gel is extremely profitable.

That's long gone, I've watched reimbursement fall over the last 2 years from $900 a script to $300 a script, and a majority of plans now require a prior authorization. The pain management doc next to us used to send a script for lidocaine ointment and diclofenac gel for all his patients to us. And for a long time, the insurance companies paid out, not anymore.

Hi! Look at pharmacies like Fenway Health Clinic :) in Boston, MA. Along those lines are very profitable, especially in huge areas like NYNY and other metropolises.

Open a pharmacy next to Disney World and don't take people's insurance.