Most money made during a single shift?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dred Pirate

Pharmacist
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just talking about this with friends - I once was paid $150/hr working for a staffing company (1099 - no taxes) for a 12 hour shift = $1800 dollar check.

anyone else?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Dunno a day max, during OT week, I think the most I hit was a little over $7000/2 weeks after tax. I don't do OT anymore.

Members don't see this ad :)
Used to get 3X on Christmas back in the day. It used to hours worked X2 + 8 hours of Holiday. Pay $60.00 per hour, Work 8 hours get paid $1,440.00.Did some 24 hour stores where I work 12 hours and got paid for 32, $1,920.00. Now that I make real coin, they stopped that policy and you are capped at 2X on Christmas. Almost not worth it.....

Gross pay? Let's see, this was 2014 for me...

17 hour shift. Night shift called out, procedure is typically the previous shift stays on... so I stayed on until next AM shift came in several hours early.

10 hours @ regular rate
2 hours @ 1.5x OT rate
5 hours @ 2x OT rate
7 hours @ night shift differential

Total gross = $1830

The location at the time wasn't very busy, so I was able to doze off and my night tech fielded/filtered phone calls (so I got about an uninterrupted hour or so to nap).

My most productive "continuous" period of being on duty was this oddball weekend also in 2014...

Friday:
Hospital A worked from 1030-2100
Hospital A on call from 2100-0700 next morning (Saturday)
Was called twice that night with a minimum call back pay of 2hrs @ 1.5x OT = 4 extra hours that night

Saturday
Hospital B worked 0700-1730 (so technically on my 30 min drive to work I was still on call at Hospital A for 30 mins).
Hospital A on call from 2100-0700 next morning (Sunday)
Was called in again twice that night = 4 extra hours

Sunday
Same as Saturday schedule, except I wasn't called in that night/next morning.

Finally off shift at 0700 Monday morning.

So over the course of about 72 hours (1030 Friday to 1030 Monday), I was technically on the clock for about 61.5 hours (3.5hrs on Saturday, 3.5hrs on Sunday, and 3.5 hours on Monday to get to the 72 hour mark). Total gross roughly $3400. On-call rate was $15/hr, not too bad, and the hospital had a hotel attached to it so the night admin would call and I'd sleep in some scrubs and be in the pharmacy in like 5 mins. Nothing like waiting for a helicopter on the edge of a mountain at 0300 when you have work at 0700. Sadly, I don't work there anymore.

Hurricane at the hospital. Worked my normal shift starting Thursday at 1pm - Saturday morning at 7am. Slept two nights in sleeping bags. Double time during the hours worked and regular pay the other times. Around $3k after taxes. Not worth it as I lost my Saturday and Sunday shifts so I only made like $1k more than if nothing had happened. Had to evacuate the kids with Hubbs alone, deal with not knowing what was going on at the house etc etc. But it was a fun story to tell.

Slightly different scenario here, but was once paid $1,200.00 to do an annual update of a clinical monograph on a really rare disease state.

A lit search revealed that there had been no new treatment guidelines, no new clinical studies, and no new product releases or labeling changes since the previous year's update.

That took about 90 minutes of work, so my hourly rate worked out to $800/hour.

When doing contract writing, sometimes you win, sometimes you lose (my hourly rate usually works out to $120/hour, but have gotten hammered on a few of these in the past, and the hourly has been as low as $45). This one was a huge win.

I was working on a web-based analytics platform for dispensing data that was going to get shown to some VP's via a teleconference. I came in early to get some finishing touches in and polish the interface a little. I came in at 6am and my remote server stopped responding suddenly around 7:30. I called the site where I had set up the server and they turned it on/off and still nothing. I went down there and found out the hard drive had failed completely. My supervisor and his supervisor were freaking out by the time this was figured out at 11am. They did not want to reschedule the meeting and the last back-up I had was from a few weeks back and not ready for display. I told them not to worry, because worrying was not going to help matters. I would get something together in the next 25 hours before the meeting. I went out, bought a new hard drive, some mountain dew, and doritos and locked myself in a room with a desk and ethernet connection. Left the meeting around 2pm the next day to get some sleep. I got $50 * 16 scheduled hours + $50 * 1.5 * 16 unscheduled hours = $2000 for that one.

How do you find these kind of gigs? Would be killer money on the side

Like anything else, you need experience.

Join the American Medical Writers Association (www.amwa.org)

Network like crazy. You probably know someone who does this type of work- think of folks who you went to school with who ended up in medical communications, continuing education, or the managed care/PBM world. Find someone you know who freelances, and offer to take some work off their hands when they are overwhelmed with work. Odds are, you aren't getting the $800/hour job [they are keeping those, thank you very much], but you'll get something. Good work begets more work...do this for a 18-24 months, develop a portfolio of your works, and then you are ready to strike out on your own. Picking a single disease state or therapeutic area to specialize in will limit your scope of work, but also increases the likelihood that you will be that special someone sought after for that work. I specialize in a topic that most pharmacy students spend maybe one hour on in school (if that), so I'm pretty confident I know more than most pharmacists/medical writers on this subject. Fortunately for me, clients recognize this too!

@lord999 might have some additional advice, but his work is way more technical/scientific than the stuff I pump out.

I suppose I could put down what I get paid for a non-compete clause, but @297point1 's point remains valid:
Good work begets more work

My experience is that they find you, you don't find them.

I am impressed at how much pharmacies are willing to pay pharmacists as the examples above prove to keep competitive on the holidays. My highest payday for a single day of work was Christmas too, but it's nowhere in those ranges. My highest average though for a week of work was $75k post tax ($1500ish an hour that week), and that was for dealing with an immediate M&A evaluation.

I suppose I could put down what I get paid for a non-compete clause, but @297point1 's point remains valid:
Good work begets more work

My experience is that they find you, you don't find them.

I am impressed at how much pharmacies are willing to pay pharmacists as the examples above prove to keep competitive on the holidays. My highest payday for a single day of work was Christmas too, but it's nowhere in those ranges. My highest average though for a week of work was $75k post tax ($1500ish an hour that week), and that was for dealing with an immediate M&A evaluation.

Holy shi-.... I need to remember this for when I graduate.

Mergers and Acquisitions due diligence work that literally dropped on a Friday unexpectedly and due the next Thursday. That was a drop in the bucket compared to the payday McKinsey had when that went through. That wasn't the full contract (this was over a six month timespan which paid me more 8X after tax what I grossly make in VA minus that interlude), but for that "unexpected issues clause", they invoked it as they forgot to do something. Actuaries and finance professionals in the right circumstances can make "FU" money in a two week period, the trick is to be in that particular two week timespan. The partner who oversaw the M&A did retire to Zurich as it paid out something along the lines of eight digits net to him where the first digit was not 0 or 1.

I make money, I don't create money like M&A and corporate finance does. I'm probably in the upper 30% of us though. The wealthiest professor at my place is in the mid eight digits (two drugs, four tech licenses), and I think the richest current professor of pharmacy is in the nine digits range (no billionaires yet). The richest pharmacists ever are/were the Home Depot billionaires (Rutgers alumni who hated practice).

Last edited:
My highest average though for a week of work was $75k post tax ($1500ish an hour that week), and that was for dealing with an immediate M&A evaluation.

Note to self: continue to model yourself after lord999

Note to self: continue to model yourself after lord999

In a different life, I would have probably do the management consulting job, made my FU money, write my FU email, retire for two years blowing it all in Rio in debauchery, then coming back and doing another round like everyone seems to do. I sometimes view the "money" things that we're doing as somewhat futile, as without a change in lifestyle, your wants always end up matching your means. Make $30M, blow it on a wife who wants a chalet in Zurich and divorces you once she sees the first ski instructor that clearly won the genetic lottery. Make $500k, use it to remodel the library with custom furnture because your wife hates the fact that you bought your bookshelves ready assembled over a decade. What I'd like to know is if there is a break in the cycle. Because, it doesn't really matter how much you make if everyone defines wealth the gypsy way, where the gypsies define wealth by how much one has spent. The reason why I never did that path in life was because I never knew that was even a possibility until long after I disqualified myself from that sort of work. No one ever seems to leave the game.

Then again, I can't complain how this life turned out. Have a job that I can completely be a utter ***** and still be paid good money, people that no one on this forum would have any problem treating like dirt or sending them off to destroy each other after meeting those pretty little sociopaths for 10 minutes (Presidential Management Fellows and PAS-2's), married to someone who deeply cares about me and tolerates my bad habits while being the breadwinner. It would kill me not to work, I'd be too lazy to get out of bed (literally), so that's my major motivation.

Make $500k, use it to remodel the library with custom furnture because your wife hates the fact that you bought your bookshelves ready assembled over a decade.

I'm in the "make 100k and your wife wants to replace the Ikea dinner table" category. It's a fine table, damn it!

Reactions: 2 users
i day trade in the morning from 630am-830am before i start work at 930am. most i've made from a single trade was $2500 in that timeframe. so what is that, 1250/hr? (my average net gain is $100 every morning.) Now if you count the money i made from working an 8-hr shift that day, that totals to be 3000. ***please do not try this at home

edit: the nature of my work also allows me to make trades while working lol, but the good thing is i don't deal with patients.

Last edited:
In a different life, I would have probably do the management consulting job, made my FU money, write my FU email, retire for two years blowing it all in Rio in debauchery, then coming back and doing another round like everyone seems to do. I sometimes view the "money" things that we're doing as somewhat futile, as without a change in lifestyle, your wants always end up matching your means. Make $30M, blow it on a wife who wants a chalet in Zurich and divorces you once she sees the first ski instructor that clearly won the genetic lottery. Make $500k, use it to remodel the library with custom furnture because your wife hates the fact that you bought your bookshelves ready assembled over a decade. What I'd like to know is if there is a break in the cycle. Because, it doesn't really matter how much you make if everyone defines wealth the gypsy way, where the gypsies define wealth by how much one has spent. The reason why I never did that path in life was because I never knew that was even a possibility until long after I disqualified myself from that sort of work. No one ever seems to leave the game.

Then again, I can't complain how this life turned out. Have a job that I can completely be a utter ***** and still be paid good money, people that no one on this forum would have any problem treating like dirt or sending them off to destroy each other after meeting those pretty little sociopaths for 10 minutes (Presidential Management Fellows and PAS-2's), married to someone who deeply cares about me and tolerates my bad habits while being the breadwinner. It would kill me not to work, I'd be too lazy to get out of bed (literally), so that's my major motivation.
best post I read today.

I will second the wants end up matching your needs - in a previous life my ex and I made a LOT more than I do now with my second upgraded wife. yet I have so much more free money and more in savings. It is amazing how much a messed up woman (or man) can spend trying to buy happiness.