More individuals going into healthcare?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BlackWarrior

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been noticing a lot of my friends getting into the healthcare field (pharm/rn/pa/pt/md/vet/dental) as of lately. I'm not sure if it's because a majority of my college friends are Biology majors or there is a general increasing trend for healthcare providers. Anyone notice a similar trend?

Members don't see this ad.

I have been noticing a lot of my friends getting into the healthcare field (pharm/rn/pa/pt/md/vet/dental) as of lately. I'm not sure if it's because a majority of my college friends are Biology majors or there is a general increasing trend for healthcare providers. Anyone notice a similar trend?

Probably both.

US medical schools are increasing both in number and size. The same can be said for many other healthcare careers. Pharmacy has saturated the market.

Also, you have a lot of friends that are biology majors, so your perspective is skewed from the general population.

Reactions: 1 user

The US population is increasing and aging, both factors that increase provider demand.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I've been noticing the same thing. I think part of it is the increase in advertising for healthcare related schooling combined with all the accelerated programs available. Also people assume every healthcare provider makes good money and are surprised to find out that the store manager at Starbucks makes more money than the basic EMT.
FYI I made less as an EMT than I did as a house painter, so I can relate. :laugh:

Health care and biology is very much correlated, it's also good for people who want to help others. In my schooling i've understood the importance of biology by way of healthcare learning.

Healthcare is also a stable, well paying field. There will always be a demand for healthcare, even more now that people are living longer. Healthcare careers also quite mobile, as an MD or RN can move to another location without too much difficulty. So I would say that students and career changers are realizing the benefits of a healthcare career and are taking advantage of it.

Healthcare in general is a strong industry. There is a lot of interest from the tech side to help bring healthcare up to speed.