"Mommy track" radiology jobs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Foot Fetish

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do they exist?

Can I work 30-40 hours/week with no call, no weekends, no overnights, no holidays with the trade-off being a significantly lower salary, i.e. ~$180-250K/year ?

I know jobs like this exist in other specialties (like anesthesiology), but what about rads?

Members don't see this ad.

The thing I would be most worried about is that if you come out working 30-40 hrs. a week right out of fellowship then I'm not sure you will be able to be a good radiologist. You do a lot of learning as a young attending. Going part-time immediately might back-fire, but I will defer that to the attendings who would know more than I would about that.

The female radiologists I've seen/met just take the time off. Maybe some telerads companies would hire you on a weird schedule but you'd be working nights or late shifts probably.

Breast and MSK typically have good schedules if you are in an academic setting where the schedules are made within the subsections so it might be possible there but I'm not sure.

Just be aware of the fact that there might also be a morale/camaraderie issue with your colleagues in certain practices if they know they that are fully invested in the work and you are part-time.

The whole topic of "mommy/doctor" thing can get kind of heated, especially with older male colleagues, just so you are aware. I've heard lots of negative things...

The thing I would be most worried about is that if you come out working 30-40 hrs. a week right out of fellowship then I'm not sure you will be able to be a good radiologist. You do a lot of learning as a young attending. Going part-time immediately might back-fire, but I will defer that to the attendings who would know more than I would about that.

The female radiologists I've seen/met just take the time off. Maybe some telerads companies would hire you on a weird schedule but you'd be working nights or late shifts probably.

Breast and MSK typically have good schedules if you are in an academic setting where the schedules are made within the subsections so it might be possible there but I'm not sure.

Just be aware of the fact that there might also be a morale/camaraderie issue with your colleagues in certain practices if they know they that are fully invested in the work and you are part-time.

The whole topic of "mommy/doctor" thing can get kind of heated, especially with older male colleagues, just so you are aware. I've heard lots of negative things...

For the record, I'm not a female. I'm just a guy who really values work/life balance. I just used the term "mommy track" since it's a known concept that captures what I want out of my future job. My other requirement is that it must be shift work. I don't want a cohort of patients that are "mine" and who I would be responsible for night and day...that leaves rads, gas, EM, hospitalist, and pathology...I'm just an M1 right now, so I am open to any of these options, but I won't compromise my expectations. I don't really care about the stigma associated with it. It's way more important for me to spend a lot of time with my family and to pursue my personal hobbies than it is to advance my career. At the end of the day, I see medicine as just a job. A really freakin cool job, sure...but nothing more. It's not my "calling" or whatever. It's just a means to and end...I can't be the only one who feels this way?

Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm in your camp. Work to live, don't live to work.

Reactions: 4 users
Go into ER. Seriously.

I like the weekly hours of ER, but those guys have to work overnight shifts, weekends and holidays, don't they? Plus, I hate writing HPI's. Rads is nice in that respect; you can often write a report without even looking at the patient's history at all. Just objectively describe the findings...similarly in anesthesiology, you only need to know the patient's history insofar as you are able to avoid contraindications...no lengthy notes. I like short and sweet when it comes to paperwork.

Reactions: 1 user
The history sometimes makes a difference, even in radiology.

Reactions: 1 users

Last edited:
Do they exist?

Can I work 30-40 hours/week with no call, no weekends, no overnights, no holidays with the trade-off being a significantly lower salary, i.e. ~$180-250K/year ?

I know jobs like this exist in other specialties (like anesthesiology), but what about rads?

I agree that jobs like this probably exist. However, there are careers out there that are 9-5 and pay well that don't require years of training and mad amounts of debt. Plus there are ~10 years of med school and residency between you and a faculty job where you actually have any control over your schedule. I've never heard of entire clerkships or residencies completely devoid of weekends, call, or late nights at least occasionally. If you have hobbies that you actually love maybe you should pursue them as a career instead. If people can make a living only playing video games on youtube then every hobby is a potential gold mine.

You're right that being a doctor is awesome and the pay and prestige factor are nice bonuses but if you don't love it then it is wayyy too much work to be worth it. Since you're only like 2 months in you probably haven't realized this yet but no worries you'll feel it soon. Best of luck!

I agree that jobs like this probably exist. However, there are careers out there that are 9-5 and pay well that don't require years of training and mad amounts of debt. Plus there are ~10 years of med school and residency between you and a faculty job where you actually have any control over your schedule. I've never heard of entire clerkships or residencies completely devoid of weekends, call, or late nights at least occasionally. If you have hobbies that you actually love maybe you should pursue them as a career instead. If people can make a living only playing video games on youtube then every hobby is a potential gold mine.

You're right that being a doctor is awesome and the pay and prestige factor are nice bonuses but if you don't love it then it is wayyy too much work to be worth it. Since you're only like 2 months in you probably haven't realized this yet but no worries you'll feel it soon. Best of luck!

So, since he's already in deep enough to start residency, he should quit and go to one of those 9-5 jobs? What if he likes Radiology? Why is it a problem to do it for 30-40 hours per week when he's done with residency/fellowship? There's lots of things I enjoy doing in life, but don't want to do them for 60 hours per week. Why should I want to work for 60 hours per week?

Reactions: 1 users
So, since he's already in deep enough to start residency, he should quit and go to one of those 9-5 jobs? What if he likes Radiology? Why is it a problem to do it for 30-40 hours per week when he's done with residency/fellowship? There's lots of things I enjoy doing in life, but don't want to do them for 60 hours per week. Why should I want to work for 60 hours per week?

That's fair but I think you misunderstood my point and he's an M1. He's been in med school like 2 months, so he's not in very deep at all. He also said that he's interested in radiology and some other specialties by process of elimination based on hours per week and salary, which is fine. Aiming for a 40 hour work week and solid pay is great and those are some of the reasons I chose rads myself. But, it's a fact that med school and residency schedules tend to bleed into weekends and holidays, at least in my experience. His expectations are quite specific, he doesn't want to sacrifice any free time but he has 10 years ahead where he doesn't really have much of a choice even with the chillest med school and residency. So, in my opinion maybe he should consider something else while he still hasn't made much of a commitment to medicine.

why not just do EM where you know you can work 30-40 hours a week vs radiology where you may be able to

That's fair but I think you misunderstood my point and he's an M1. He's been in med school like 2 months, so he's not in very deep at all. He also said that he's interested in radiology and some other specialties by process of elimination based on hours per week and salary, which is fine. Aiming for a 40 hour work week and solid pay is great and those are some of the reasons I chose rads myself. But, it's a fact that med school and residency schedules tend to bleed into weekends and holidays, at least in my experience. His expectations are quite specific, he doesn't want to sacrifice any free time but he has 10 years ahead where he doesn't really have much of a choice even with the chillest med school and residency. So, in my opinion maybe he should consider something else while he still hasn't made much of a commitment to medicine.

I am willing to work by butt off in medical school, residency, and fellowship, but I want to have a 40 hour work week w/ solid pay once I'm an attending. I have no problem making a sacrifice now so long as there is a light at the end of the tunnel. I just don't want to be one of those docs that works 60 hour weeks until they retire...

why not just do EM where you know you can work 30-40 hours a week vs radiology where you may be able to

• Overnight, weekend, and holiday shifts
  • Too much patient contact
  • Too much paperwork (I really dislike writing progress notes. I much prefer the objective style of rad's notes)
  • Too stressful (I know radiology is stressful too, but it's a different type of stress. I do much better with intellectual stress vs. interpersonal stress)
Though I do LOVE the fact that I can be an attending doc just 3 years out of medical school for EM vs. 6 years for radiology. Those 3 years are a huge opportunity cost, especially if you consider the time value of money. From a purely financial perspective, you would have to make boatloads of $ as a radiologist to make up for the lost time in which you could have been making and INVESTING an attending-level salary...At the end of the day, though, lifestyle is the most important factor for me. Like I said, I would even be OK with less than $200K per year if it will allow me to enjoy 30-40 hours of shift work per week in which I don't have the headache of paperwork and patient contact...Who knows though. I'm still just an M1, so I might change my mind over the next 4 years...

Members don't see this ad :)

I missed his second post where he said he's a MS1.

I am willing to work by butt off

Ohh, my bad I made the wrong assumption. Well then maybe rads is for you. It's pretty awesome. I'd suggest shadowing sometime in your first year.

so....can someone answer the question? is it possible?

Your best bet for a "mommy track" type of schedule is doing a Breast imaging fellowship and trying to get a 3 day/wk mammographer job. These do exist. But there aren't a whole lot of them. It will take a lot of extra effort to find them, beyond just looking at job ads.

How hard do radiologists usually work if they're in a more "normal" full time position?

What are the hours? Pay? Do they have night and weekend call?

Surprisingly, In the midwest, i know of quite a few of these types of jobs, specifically in mammo. 30ish hours per week and about 200ish k per year. They aren't all that hard to come by - a lot of the bigger private practice groups look for people to fill in the gaps in the schedule. The downside is, part time doesn't always mean no evening shifts or no weekend coverage - if you want the low hours you'll likely have to sacrifice on your schedule flexibility , vacation time, benefits, and partnership will obviously not be in the cards.

For the record, I'm not a female. I'm just a guy who really values work/life balance. I just used the term "mommy track" since it's a known concept that captures what I want out of my future job. My other requirement is that it must be shift work. I don't want a cohort of patients that are "mine" and who I would be responsible for night and day...that leaves rads, gas, EM, hospitalist, and pathology...I'm just an M1 right now, so I am open to any of these options, but I won't compromise my expectations. I don't really care about the stigma associated with it. It's way more important for me to spend a lot of time with my family and to pursue my personal hobbies than it is to advance my career. At the end of the day, I see medicine as just a job. A really freakin cool job, sure...but nothing more. It's not my "calling" or whatever. It's just a means to and end...I can't be the only one who feels this way?

Have you considered derm? ;)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Radiology shouldn't be considered a lifestyle specialty in my opinion. It is a 24/7 specialty as the hospital requires coverage for weekends, holidays and nights for Radiology. In many groups even the breast imagers have to do general radiology call. Radiology call is busy, really really busy.

Radiology shouldn't be considered a lifestyle specialty in my opinion. It is a 24/7 specialty as the hospital requires coverage for weekends, holidays and nights for Radiology. In many groups even the breast imagers have to do general radiology call. Radiology call is busy, really really busy.

they definitely work hard, no doubt. but the hours are more predictable (50-60 a week?) can eat/drink when you want. can potentially work from home. decent amount of vacation in radiology positions (8+ weeks). its not what it used to be, but its still good imo.

Depends on your setup I think. There are some small groups that contract with a bunch of freestanding/independent centers to provide professional coverage/interpretations.

I can i agree with your facts, however my assessment is that it still is a lifestyle specialty. When you go home, you are done in diagnostic radiology. Most "regular" jobs are 8 to 5 monday through friday with a long evening shift every once and a while depending on the size of the group. Also weekends are once in a while. Lots of groups use nighthawk. It is not like surgery or interventional that when you are done with a long day and exhausted and finally home your pager rings for a new emergency at 2 am. No pager = good lifestyle. Too bad I am IR addicted.

But i 100% agree with you that diagnostic radiology is a grind and very very busy especially on call. An intellectually challenging and truly mentally exhausting field.

Last edited:
Do they exist?

12 years ago I could have written your post myself.... Maybe I should check my post history. I probably did have a similar post. I too went to med school wanting to eventually end up in a field that was chill.... At least with the ability to work less even if I made less. I wanted to do oncology... And once asked an oncologist the same question your asking. He kind of laughed at me. Fortunately I chose rads. Dodged a bullet... Kind of.

Rads is busy with its own stressors, which would be a whole other post. Way better than many other specialties though. It is possible to get a part time job like your describing without much trouble. You just might not get your first choice of location. Doing this early in your career would be risky based on how it would be viewed by other rads (like if you needed to find a new job), but I don't think it's that big of a deal if you just explain it away due to family reasons/obligations/etc.

As someone else has already mentioned - Telerads would be an option. Probably the easiest, but a last resort. It pays ****, you have to read a ton of studies quickly, and most of the shifts will be at night. It's also not a good professional move in your early career. You will lose procedural and advanced imaging skills.

There are many large regional groups that would hire for an employee position (as opposed to partnership tract). Especially now that the market is opening up. You'll just have to be honest up front about what you want.

Probably the best option that I've heard of would be an ER job that is afternoon/early nights with shifts between 4pm-1am. These are usually at larger hospitals that are academic or semi academic. They'll be 1 week on/2 weeks off or will be like 10-15 shifts per month (They'll have a separate work pool for 10pm-7am shifts which you opt out of). The hours aren't great... But you work less than half the month and get paid avg radiology salary (not part time salary). These jobs usually require that you know the right person or you just get lucky.

There's also VA jobs. These are 8-5pm, 1 hr lunch, m-f, no weekend and no call.... And low volume. These are easier to get than the last type but pay a little less. This would also be a good option, although its not necessarily the best career move early on (rads in private practice often wonder "what's wrong" with the radiologist that had to settle for one of these jobs- "why couldn't they hack it in private practice"). Again, I don't think this is that big of a deal if you explain it away based on family obligations/desired location/etc.

As to what subspecialty? Just don't do IR. They are stuck doing more overnight procedural call. Neuro may help you land one of those sweet ER jobs, but they can also be stuck doing additional call depending on the group. My current group does have part time mam readers, but I'm not sure that is based on their subspecialty as much as it is on that they are moms in duel income households with young kids or close to retirement.

I ended up taking a standard PP job. It's mostly 8-5pm with a few weekends and a few weeks of nights per year. But my group is structured in such a way /is large enough that I can cut back and make less which I likely will do eventually (E.g. tell them im done with nights and weekends). I averaged 40hrs/week last year based on total hours worked / number of weeks worked. It ranges from about 27-63 hrs/week depending on my rotation.

Last edited:
12 years ago I could have written your post myself.... Maybe I should check my post history. I probably did have a similar post. I too went to med school wanting to eventually end up in a field that was chill.... At least with the ability to work less even if I made less. I wanted to do oncology... And once asked an oncologist the same question your asking. He kind of laughed at me. Forrunately I chose rads. Dodged a bullet... Kind of.

Rads is busy with its own stressors. Way better than many other specialties though. It is possible to get a part time job like your describing without much trouble. You just might not get your first choice of location.

As someone else has already mentioned - Telerads would be an option. Probably the easiest, but a last resort. It pays ****, you have to read a ton of studies quickly, and most of the shifts will be at night. It's also not a good professional move in your early career.

There are many large regional groups that would hire for an employee position (as opposed to partnership tract). Especially now that the market is opeNing up. You'll just have to be honest up front about what you want.

Probably the best option that I've heard of would be an ER job that is afternoon/early nights with shifts between 4pm-1am. These are usually at larger hospitals that are academic or semi academic. They'll be 1 week on/2 weeks off or will be like 10-15 shifts per month (They'll have a separate work pool for 10pm-7am shifts which you opt out of). The hours aren't great... But it's You work < half the month and get paid avg radiology salary (not part time salary). There jobs usually require that you know the right person or you just get lucky.

There's also VA jobs. These are 8-5pm, 1 hr lunch, m-f, no weekend and no call.... And low volume. These are easier to get than the last type but pay a little less. This would also be a good option.

As to what subspecialty? Just don't do IR. Neuro may help you land one of those sweet ER jobs. My current group does have part time mam readers.

I ended up taking a standard PP job. It's mostly 8-5pm with a few weekends and a few weeks of nights per year. But my group is structured in such a way /is large enough that I can cut back and make less which I likely will do eventually (E.g. tell them im done with nights and weekends).

I agree with 90% of this... however, the "best option" mentioned above is becoming more widely available. I know of at least 2 such positions at academic centers in my state and the pay is 50% MGMA (which is pretty darn good, fyi - not going to post the number publicly). If you scan jobs.acr.org, you'll find even more of these jobs popping up. Also, there was an article I saw on doximity recently that said telerads have now surpassed the average general radiologist in how much they take in... by about $60K. That article focused on salary so once you take into account benefits, who knows? It's true, however, that you have to read a ton of studies (although I read about 130 studies on a typical ER night at my institution). It's also true that some tele companies will try to low ball you and you have to compare companies and contracts.

VA jobs tend to pay VERY little, even at the highest tier salary for a radiologist and it's also regional and varies WIDELY. There is a pension that everyone boasts, but when you factor it in compared to other work settings, you still come up short... except for stress. Most VA's are low stress if, as a radiologist, you can maintain a low stress dealing with sick patients. Some can not. VA jobs are great for someone who has no school debt, is ok with a modest salary, and places a high priority on the low likelihood of ever being sued. In some instances, like the Baltimore VA, it's a good opportunity for academics in fields such as informatics.

Either way, if you want a parent track kind of job, there are plenty of ways to go about it in radiology without sacrificing your life to the grind.

I like the weekly hours of ER, but those guys have to work overnight shifts, weekends and holidays, don't they? Plus, I hate writing HPI's. Rads is nice in that respect; you can often write a report without even looking at the patient's history at all. Just objectively describe the findings...similarly in anesthesiology, you only need to know the patient's history insofar as you are able to avoid contraindications...no lengthy notes. I like short and sweet when it comes to paperwork.
Without a context within which to do a read, a read isn't really worth much. History can be incredibly important in getting things done both quickly and correctly.

Also, there was an article I saw on doximity recently that said telerads have now surpassed the average general radiologist in how much they take in... by about $60K. That article focused on salary so once you take into account benefits, who knows? It's true, however, that you have to read a ton of studies (although I read about 130 studies on a typical ER night at my institution). It's also true that some tele companies will try to low ball you and you have to compare companies and contracts.

That's hard to believe! I'll have to look up that article. I guess it's good though, as I could see myself taking a telerad job (providing it wasn't overnight) in the future once I have more $$ saved. A couple years ago when I looked into telerads, what they quoted me was pretty low compared to PP offers (like 25% lower initially, but nearly 50% lower compared to partner pay). I believe I would have been paid as an independent contractor where the only benefit they offered was to pay my malpractice.

edit: Doximity | Job Market Looks Good for Radiologists
here's the article for those interested. I still find it hard to believe! Sounds like things have changed quite a bit in the last couple years.

Last edited:
Honestly, EM sounds like a better idea for your plan.

Or you could do gas with critical care fellowship and do 3-4 ICU shifts a week.