"mommy track" job after fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Wonder women

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Quick background before I post questions -I am mother to two kindergartners and feel that between Radiology residency and fellowship I have missed out a lot. Currently in Body Imaging Fellowship in a good program @ Midwest.
I am hoping for "mommy track" type of schedule (30-40 hrs/week ) and not really that concerned about $.
How do I proceed? Every employer/mentor I have spoken to start rolling their eye's when I try to be honest with them. I love radiology and not a lazy person; but want to give my family the time they deserve
What are my options, guys ? .... VA , teleradiology, locum work perhaps ?
How would you proceed in my circumstance?

Members don't see this ad.

Several teleradiology companies let you work as much or as little as you want. Of course, you have to consider all of the pros and cons that come with tele work.

I know of academic and VA positions that are 0.8 FTE. Probably worth looking into; this is where I would start.

I'm skeptical locums work is what you're looking for. That's more likely to be a full week's worth of work followed by a couple of weeks off, which says nothing of the potential travel involved. If you're like me, as a parent, then you're looking for something with a much more regular schedule.

The private groups around me employ a handful of part-time radiologists. I think most of them are former partners who were forced to relinquish their partnership after hitting 65, and many of the rest fill a specific need, e.g. breast only.

Reactions: 1 user
Several teleradiology companies let you work as much or as little as you want. Of course, you have to consider all of the pros and cons that come with tele work.

I know of academic and VA positions that are 0.8 FTE. Probably worth looking into; this is where I would start.

I'm skeptical locums work is what you're looking for. That's more likely to be a full week's worth of work followed by a couple of weeks off, which says nothing of the potential travel involved. If you're like me, as a parent, then you're looking for something with a much more regular schedule.

The private groups around me employ a handful of part-time radiologists. I think most of them are former partners who were forced to relinquish their partnership after hitting 65, and many of the rest fill a specific need, e.g. breast only.
Whoa, is that common to force partners to relinquish their partnerships in rads groups once they're 65+? Just curious.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I can't say a majority of practices do it, but it's not uncommon either.
There's lots of part time mammo only jobs, especially with the private equity backed chains. Mammo fits very well for mommy-track inclined people as there is very defined responsibilities, no call, etc.

Quick background before I post questions -I am mother to two kindergartners and feel that between Radiology residency and fellowship I have missed out a lot. Currently in Body Imaging Fellowship in a good program @ Midwest.
I am hoping for "mommy track" type of schedule (30-40 hrs/week ) and not really that concerned about $.
How do I proceed? Every employer/mentor I have spoken to start rolling their eye's when I try to be honest with them. I love radiology and not a lazy person; but want to give my family the time they deserve

Where do you want to work/live?

I do a daddy track. I do ER radiology. I probably spend too much time with my kids :) jk... but not really.

Wow, based on your training history... I hope you either have a trust fund or married rich :D

This might be too late but just wanted to give my $.02... If schedule is your only concern, I highly recommend doing a second fellowship in breast imaging. It is one of the few subspecialties in Radiology that allows you to work a M-F (or 4 day a week), no call, no weekend job. Since breast imaging is inherently outpatient based with no true emergencies (and no annoying phone calls during the day), it lends itself to an easier schedule. It also doesn't hurt that breast imaging is in very high demand right now.