Mizzou C/O 2022 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

johnsmith123

Oregon State c/o 2022
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I didn't see a thread for this yet. Who all is applying to University of Missouri? This is my top choice right now as I'm a big fan of the 2 clinical years and they allow you to apply for instate residency. Win-win!

Members don't see this ad.

Yay for this thread popping up! :D

Fourth year student here! If anyone has any questions about Mizzou, Como, or anything elese- feel free to PM me or post your question on here!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm applying here also! Can't beat switching to in-state residency :)

I was accepted into the class of 2021 for Mizzou, but declined to go to my IS. If you guys have any questions about the application process or interviews don't be afraid to pm me! Good luck!

I was accepted into the class of 2021 for Mizzou, but declined to go to my IS. If you guys have any questions about the application process or interviews don't be afraid to pm me! Good luck!

Ditto. Well, except I'm not going to my IS. But yeah, feel free to ask questions/for help on here or via PM!

Reactions: 1 user
I will be a 1st year in the fall (class of 2021). I will gladly answer any questions anyone has about the application, Mizzou, or Columbia. I wish you all good luck and hope to see you next year!

I will be a 1st year in the fall (class of 2021). I will gladly answer any questions anyone has about the application, Mizzou, or Columbia. I wish you all good luck and hope to see you next year!
Can you tell me more about the area? I have never been to Missouri. Sorry if that is super vague. I am thinking in terms of political climate, job opportunities for partners, nightlife (like concerts mostly), etc. I am from a city on the West coast but have spent undergrad in a fairly small town in the Midwest.

Missouri in general is a red state (Republican) however, that does not mean that that is everyone's views or thoughts in the state. I cannot say for Columbia itself as I have yet to be able to immerse myself in it, but it does seem to me that college towns in Missouri tend to be a much bigger blend of both red and blue, a nice blend or both/all political parties. Columbia is a fairly large city (a little over 115,000) and is about 30 minutes from Jefferson City (the capital of Missouri). That being said, there does appear to be a fairly large market for jobs in the area. There may be some driving distance to some (like to Jefferson City) but when searching, for both myself and for partners, the opportunities appear to be present for a large and diverse field.

I cannot answer the nightlife/concert question since I have yet to spend much time in Columbia, hopefully @Ashgirl can answer that for you and potential better explain anything I may have misinterpreted or misexplained. Hopefully this will help.

Can you tell me more about the area? I have never been to Missouri. Sorry if that is super vague. I am thinking in terms of political climate, job opportunities for partners, nightlife (like concerts mostly), etc. I am from a city on the West coast but have spent undergrad in a fairly small town in the Midwest.
I think job opportunities just depend on what market you are looking for, but I've heard good things from spouses who moved here looking for a job. As far as nightlight goes, downtown here has a poop ton of bars, lounges, restaurants, you name it. The campus hosts concerts and things as well. So many things to do! (At least from a small town girl's perspective). My favorite thing about CoMo is that if you want a bigger city feel there is lots to find downtown (escape rooms, art museums, bars, dance clubs, etc etc etc), but if you simply go 10 minutes in any direction, you will find yourself in the middle of nature with a ton of hills, trails, lakes, and caves you can explore.

I think job opportunities just depend on what market you are looking for, but I've heard good things from spouses who moved here looking for a job. As far as nightlight goes, downtown here has a poop ton of bars, lounges, restaurants, you name it. The campus hosts concerts and things as well. So many things to do! (At least from a small town girl's perspective). My favorite thing about CoMo is that if you want a bigger city feel there is lots to find downtown (escape rooms, art museums, bars, dance clubs, etc etc etc), but if you simply go 10 minutes in any direction, you will find yourself in the middle of nature with a ton of hills, trails, lakes, and caves you can explore.
Second everything here. If you look up the blue note, you can see some concert schedules (it's smack in the middle of downtown). There is also a decent amount of street concerts/festivals, where they close off some streets of downtown.

With respect to political nature of Columbia, I think it's fairly split. I feel like the vast majority of students and faculty associated with the university tend to lean more democrat, while you will see a bit more republican signs in the ground once election season comes about. Outside of Columbia (other than Kansas City and STL for the most part) it gets a fair bit more republican in nature. Boone county (where Columbia is) is usually one of the few counties of Missouri which votes democrat in presidential elections.

Overall growing up in NY, moving to northern Virginia, and going to school at a medium sized college town in Virginia, it has the feel of a medium sized college town. Big enough to have virtually any amenities you are looking for, but by no means large.

Has anyone started the supplemental app yet? I'm unsure what to put for the section for "biomedical experience/public health/research." It says not to include undergraduate class related activities but I received academic credit for any research I conducted, so would I not be able to include that? I'm slightly confused on what exactly they're looking for in this section, any tips would be appreciated!!

Has anyone started the supplemental app yet? I'm unsure what to put for the section for "biomedical experience/public health/research." It says not to include undergraduate class related activities but I received academic credit for any research I conducted, so would I not be able to include that? I'm slightly confused on what exactly they're looking for in this section, any tips would be appreciated!!
The only thing I could think of that related to this for me was seminars run through my work. We have researchers come in and present on what they are studying, how it relates animals and humans, and what they have learned so far. I think this is the kind of thing they are looking for but I could be off.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys,
I am thinking about applying to Missouri this year because of the wonderful possibility of in-state tuition after the first year. However, when I was on their website trying to calculate my GPAs, it seemed to stress that they only look at undergraduate coursework. Does anyone know if this is the case? I graduated with my bachelor's in 2013, and am currently in the middle of my Master's. If my coursework for graduate school is included, my cumulative GPA is a 3.38, but my undergrad GPA was only a 3.11. This also affects my last 3 semesters GPA as well, as I went through some major hardship during my last year of undergrad. If my graduate coursework is included, my last 45 is a 3.5, but without it, it's pretty abysmal.

I don't know what everyone's interests are for vet med, but for anyone interested in theriogenology at Mizzou I would watch the school closely when offers of admission start to roll in. There are currently budget cuts across the university and as of currently theriogenology is on the chopping block. Of course the current vet students, many of the faculty, and other organizations are getting involved so hopefully for those interested in this aspect of vet medicine and are considering Mizzou this program will be saved or absorbed through the other departments. Just wanted to let everyone be aware of the developing situation.

I don't know what everyone's interests are for vet med, but for anyone interested in theriogenology at Mizzou I would watch the school closely when offers of admission start to roll in. There are currently budget cuts across the university and as of currently theriogenology is on the chopping block. Of course the current vet students, many of the faculty, and other organizations are getting involved so hopefully for those interested in this aspect of vet medicine and are considering Mizzou this program will be saved or absorbed through the other departments. Just wanted to let everyone be aware of the developing situation.
I'm not sure if I would spread panic about therio being cut if we don't know the entire situation yet. There is plenty (2 years) worth of time for this to work out. PLUS, even if they cut the department, there will continue to be therio services (albeit some cut) through the food animal services. It is not disappearing, nor does this change the fact that if you are interested in therio there are other wonderful opportunities available to you.

I'm not sure if I would spread panic about therio being cut if we don't know the entire situation yet. There is plenty (2 years) worth of time for this to work out. PLUS, even if they cut the department, there will continue to be therio services (albeit some cut) through the food animal services. It is not disappearing, nor does this change the fact that if you are interested in therio there are other wonderful opportunities available to you.
Not trying to spread panic, sorry if I made it seem that way.:unsure: I know there are still a ton of issues to be worked out over this and lots of time to do so and that the program is not being completely cut. I read the letter that was sent out to students from the school. For me the indepth portion of therio that Mizzou offers appeals to me greatly for what I'm wanting to do for my future work so if the program will not be what it currently is, if I'm offered a position at Mizzou versus another school that will factor into whether or not I accept a seat at Mizzou based on the other programs. I think that if others are interested in the indepth portion of therio such as I am that they should be aware and follow the situation. I don't think anyone should make any decisions based on what is currently known, but merely be aware of the budget cuts going on at Mizzou and follow it.

Last edited:

You might want to check with the school. I wrote about research I did as an independent research project that I got academic credit for and had no issues- my interviewers were very interested in hearing more about it. My situation might be a little different because it was part academic credit and part extracurricular, but I have a hunch that they're mostly concerned about rigor and independence (and that you weren't just doing a class project everyone was assigned).

Hey guys,
I am thinking about applying to Missouri this year because of the wonderful possibility of in-state tuition after the first year. However, when I was on their website trying to calculate my GPAs, it seemed to stress that they only look at undergraduate coursework. Does anyone know if this is the case? I graduated with my bachelor's in 2013, and am currently in the middle of my Master's. If my coursework for graduate school is included, my cumulative GPA is a 3.38, but my undergrad GPA was only a 3.11. This also affects my last 3 semesters GPA as well, as I went through some major hardship during my last year of undergrad. If my graduate coursework is included, my last 45 is a 3.5, but without it, it's pretty abysmal.

As of last cycle, this was accurate. They only look at coursework up to your first bachelor's degree. Missouri is pretty numbers-based, but I've heard they pull some interesting applications that don't quite make the academic cut-off for interviews. I was below average (only a little) based on their formula, but had higher grades post-grad and some interesting experiences and was accepted.

It might be helpful to plug in your numbers and see how you compare. Here's some info: Locate how heavily each factor is weighed in application?

Reactions: 1 users
Not trying to spread panic, sorry if I made it seem that way.:unsure: I know there are still a ton of issues to be worked out over this and lots of time to do so and that the program is not being completely cut. I read the letter that was sent out to students from the school. For me the indepth portion of therio that Mizzou offers appeals to me greatly for what I'm wanting to do for my future work so if the program will not be what it currently is, if I'm offered a position at Mizzou versus another school that will factor into whether or not I accept a seat at Mizzou based on the other programs. I think that if others are interested in the indepth portion of therio such as I am that they should be aware and follow the situation. I don't think anyone should make any decisions based on what is currently known, but merely be aware of the budget cuts going on at Mizzou and follow it.
Your worry is completely understandable, however, I still believe it is too early to start backing out of offers based off of therio alone. Especially since so many people have spoken up, I highly doubt they will eliminate therio.

So let's say the worst happens and therio gets cut. There are still so many good opportunities to take. For example, I can guarantee that there will be an elective that will pop up that you can take at another school, or at another clinic. You also get 4 weeks of EFAST electives, which you can get LOTS of therio on. PLUS, you get 6 weeks of food animal, 4 weeks of externships (which can be therio involved), and 12 weeks of off blocks you can use for therio. You will be hard pressed to find this amount of experience in clinics elsewhere.

It's a shame that the department has the potential to be cut, but it's not like you won't' get therio at all. In fact, if you look, you will get the same amount if not tons more experience by going here. Just something to consider :).

Your worry is completely understandable, however, I still believe it is too early to start backing out of offers based off of therio alone. Especially since so many people have spoken up, I highly doubt they will eliminate therio.

So let's say the worst happens and therio gets cut. There are still so many good opportunities to take. For example, I can guarantee that there will be an elective that will pop up that you can take at another school, or at another clinic. You also get 4 weeks of EFAST electives, which you can get LOTS of therio on. PLUS, you get 6 weeks of food animal, 4 weeks of externships (which can be therio involved), and 12 weeks of off blocks you can use for therio. You will be hard pressed to find this amount of experience in clinics elsewhere.

It's a shame that the department has the potential to be cut, but it's not like you won't' get therio at all. In fact, if you look, you will get the same amount if not tons more experience by going here. Just something to consider :).
I appreciate and understand where you're coming from. I also think it's way too early to start making any decisions and agree and am sure there will still be many opportunities for therio. Just being aware of the budget cuts happening I think is something that everyone can appreciate. :)

As of yesterday, with our lovely new interim dean in place, it was decided (as we all thought and hoped for) that the decision to cut our Therio department was reversed (here). :)

I looked at the stats online but it doesn't say how many seats are OOS. Anyone know the % acceptance for OOS students or the amount of seats? Thanks

I looked at the stats online but it doesn't say how many seats are OOS. Anyone know the % acceptance for OOS students or the amount of seats? Thanks
60 seats OOS!

So the number may be off here, so take this with a tiny grain of salt, but last year there were ~870 OOS applicants, they offered interviews to ~150-200+ OOS (I can't remember how many exactly), and they accepted ~100-120 OOS outright (again, could be a few off) after interviews (doesn't account for those who get off the wait-list).

Does anyone know what they want you to list they other CVMS you are applying to on their supplemental for?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Does anyone know what they want you to list they other CVMS you are applying to on their supplemental for?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
I'm pretty (99%) sure it's the same reason why they want to know your high school rank and ACT score... it's just for statistical data. They won't blackmail or berate you for applying to or getting accepted at other schools.

Part of that question is also them wanting to know why you chose to apply or want to go here. It's nothing bad or them judging any of your choices. They just want to see that you know something about their program or are eager to learn more about their programs specifics.

Hello, question for any current Mizzou students.. If I don't have any biomedical experience or research outside of my senior project for undergrad will that automatically disqualify me?

Hello, question for any current Mizzou students.. If I don't have any biomedical experience or research outside of my senior project for undergrad will that automatically disqualify me?
Absolutely not. You can be missing an entire section of their experience segment and still be just fine, as long as the rest of your application is rounded and all that. It is recommended that you have all of those segments, and it might make you more competitive, sure, but I've met classmates who have never got cow experience or horse experience and here they are.

Absolutely not. You can be missing an entire section of their experience segment and still be just fine, as long as the rest of your application is rounded and all that. It is recommended that you have all of those segments, and it might make you more competitive, sure, but I've met classmates who have never got cow experience or horse experience and here they are.
Well that's good to know! Thank you so much!

Hello! On the supplemental app for Mizzou, specifically in the required course entry section, what is meant when they ask for the "Department"? Is this asking which deparment within the school the course came from? Thank you!

2nd time applying to Mizzou, 1st time if you don't include my very first app which was a awful.... Good luck to all finishing up! I promise the wait to hear back isn't bad if you don't think about it too much

Hello! On the supplemental app for Mizzou, specifically in the required course entry section, what is meant when they ask for the "Department"? Is this asking which deparment within the school the course came from? Thank you!
Yes. So example my physics 121 came from my physics department. Biochem 411 was in my chemistry department.

Hey there everyone! I have a few questions if you don't mind helping. For starters, I received an interview invitation last year from Mizzou. I didn't see the email (Gmail and I had some issues there for a bit) until mid January when I was reviewing archived messages, so I didn't respond to the interview invitation and didn't take the GRE in time. Is this going to shoot me in the foot for my re-application? Is there anyone that I should speak with about the circumstances? It broke my heart when I found out that I had to wait another year, but I want to make sure that it isn't seen as a lack of respect or commitment for the program.

My other question is whether or not there is a way see my old application. I can't remember whether or not I included farm experience from when I was younger on my application, and I can't remember the specifics of horse/mule vs food animal from one of my veterinary experiences and I haven't heard back from the vet that I was under. I don't want to make a best guess and have them compare my two applications and see discrepancies that suggest that I'm dishonest.

Thanks for the help!

What is the general timeline for hearing about getting an interview? I saw on the website they conduct interviews for OS in Jan and IS in Feb. Just curious when they notify you?

What is the general timeline for hearing about getting an interview? I saw on the website they conduct interviews for OS in Jan and IS in Feb. Just curious when they notify you?
For OOS (typically):
-> Interview notifications go out mid-late November
-> Interviews are early January
-> Decisions are made late Jan/Feb

For IS (typically):
-> Interview notifications go out usually Jan/Feb
-> Interviews are Feb/March
-> Decisions are made mid-late March

Reactions: 3 users
We get to pick!!!!! At least my friend got to 2 years ago when she applied. Really hope that's still the case because the one weekend conflicts with one of the other schools I applied to.
You get to pick a date! (Just pick one before all the dates you want are picked haha).

Unless you are IS, then you don't get a choice. Or, at least I didn't.

Did any of y'all get a confirmation email from Mizzou about receiving all your application materials?

Did any of y'all get a confirmation email from Mizzou about receiving all your application materials?

I only got a confirmation email saying that I submitted my application and I got that on 9/10

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are we still thinking tomorrow might be the day?!?

Fingers crossed! Hopefully the extended deadline for the VMCAS application doesn’t push things back!