Mizzou c/o 2021 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone know of a potential time they could be going out? I was thinking in the morning... Hoping they still go out today!!! :rolleyes: My email has been refreshed so many times lol

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone know of a potential time they could be going out? I was thinking in the morning... Hoping they still go out today!!! :rolleyes: My email has been refreshed so many times lol

Honestly schools all do different times. Some span all day. Some span several days. Some all at once. I'm trying not to speculate haha.
A lot of schools I applied to seem to be releasing decisions right at the end of the business day so that people have the night to calm down before calling/emailing admissions. Just a thought, but anything is possible lol :shrug:

Reactions: 1 users
Nothing has changed on the supplemental page either.. I was hoping a change would mean that it's close ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
I really really really want today to be the day!!! Our interview invites didn't go out until 4:30pm so there is still hope. :whistle:

Of course today is the day everyone chooses to email me about EVERYTHING! I'm getting emotional whiplash... :nono:

I really don't think I could wait another day! It has to happen today!

I got accepted!!!!!!!! I'm so happy :love::soexcited::banana:

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Last edited:
Reactions: 10 users
CONGRATS TO THOSE WHO WERE ACCEPTED!!!! MIZZOU IS AN AWESOME SCHOOL!!!

Reactions: 4 users
Did they send out rejection/wait list emails too? I haven't gotten an email but I previously had complications with getting my email about my interview invitation...

Members don't see this ad :)
OOS ACCEPTED!! I'm literally bawling because it's my first acceptance.

Reactions: 8 users
Congratulations everyone!!!!! :love::love:

I'm crying tears of joy! I can't believe something that's been a dream of mine since I was seven is really happening! Congrats to everyone else!! MIZ!!!

Reactions: 5 users
I'm crying tears of joy! I can't believe something that's been a dream of mine since I was seven is really happening! Congrats to everyone else!! MIZ!!!
SO GLAD YOU GOT ACCEPTED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Accepted OOS :joyful::joyful: Congrats to everyone else accepted! For those still waiting/waitlisted don't give up hope!

Reactions: 2 users
Accepted OOS!!!! First acceptance and I can barely contain myself! Still have my IS interview, but this school is most definitely my top choice!

Reactions: 4 users
ACCEPTED OOS!!! I'm so excited!

Accepted OOS!! Worked out perfectly because I had to reject two other interview invites due to money. Since Missouri is one of my top choices (only school I interviewed at so far), I am thinking about canceling my Michigan interview this week and giving someone another shot to get off the waitlist! I have never felt more relieved to finally be accepted and be able to follow my dreams

Reactions: 6 users
If there are any current students on here, I would like a little bit of help.. I would like to know what the pro and cons are for Mizzou. I know there is a pro and con thread, and I have looked through it. Just want to know what current students opinion is on their school. Thanks in advance!

If there are any current students on here, I would like a little bit of help.. I would like to know what the pro and cons are for Mizzou. I know there is a pro and con thread, and I have looked through it. Just want to know what current students opinion is on their school. Thanks in advance!
What would you like to know more about? The pro/con list on the other thread reflects pretty much everything there is. The biggest pro for the school is in-state tuition after the first year, and of course our 2 years of class and 2 years of clinics. I can't speak highly enough about it! The biggest con is probably the 24 straight weeks of class in the spring/only 7-8 weeks for summer after 1st and 2nd year. It is especially rough during your 2nd (going into third) year due to the amount of exams and such. But with those 8 weeks this summer I was still able to relax while getting tons of practical externships down (I got over 30 surgeries under my belt during the short summer alone).

Feel free to PM me if you want more specific answers :).

Pros
-2 years of clinics. I cannot stress how big this one is until you are in vet school. That light at the end of the tunnel is so much closer, the freedom to do a much larger number of externships and preceptorships then non 2+2 programs (which I am pretty sure is just limited to here and Mississippi). My sister, who is already a vet, said if she had to do it again, she would do a 2+2 in a heartbeat.
-Large number of tests. Seems like this should be a negative, but for me, it's much better to get more frequent exams worth less, then to have this one huge exam that is worth your entire grade. And you get used to the large number of tests quickly. My fiance transferred here and prefers the multiple exams compared to 1-2 mega exams that your whole grade lies on.
-IS tuition after the first year. Combined with cost of living that is so low. Cost should be one of your biggest factors when selecting a school.
-The teachers really do care about your success, to a ridiculous degree. They will come in on the weekends to help you, or do anything in their power to help you. Last year we had a teacher come in and give a 2ish hour review on her birthday, which was on a Sunday.
-If you are interested in research, the ability to do research as a non-PhD student is very easy. I worked in 3 labs prior to starting my PhD (from oncology work, to vaccine trial on rats, to sepsis research using dogs that came into emergency/internal med).
-MPH program for very low cost, and graduate at same time as DVM.
-On average, I think we are in classes possibly a bit less often per week than other vet schools, based on conversations with vet students from other programs.

I have to get back to class, but I will update this later. Specifically, what are your interests/goals, and I can possibly tailor my analysis of the school a bit more to what you are looking for. I will update with cons later as well.

I'm pretty sure the yearly pet/family portraits belong on any list of pros. So, so cute!

Reactions: 7 users
@ Current Students.... How can someone interested in small animal (including pocket pets) get good experience with bunnies/rodents/ferrets/etc? I am almost positive I want to do dogs/cat/farm, but I definitely want to keep my mind open. How does Mizzou tailor curriculum to the pocket pets?

@ Current Students.... How can someone interested in small animal (including pocket pets) get good experience with bunnies/rodents/ferrets/etc? I am almost positive I want to do dogs/cat/farm, but I definitely want to keep my mind open. How does Mizzou tailor curriculum to the pocket pets?
Absolutely! Our lab animal program is fan-freaking-tastic, and you can get all of that experience with bunnies/rodents/ferrets with a 6 (or 8 I can't remember) week lab animal elective. Plus you have a bunch of free time for externships/electives where you can go somewhere to get even more experience!

As for avian, we have raptor rehab, which is a student ran club that takes care of of injured birds (along with some resident birds). It offers great experience and you can medically manage cases in the hospital even as a second year! (and help out with treatments as a first year!)

Absolutely! Our lab animal program is fan-freaking-tastic, and you can get all of that experience with bunnies/rodents/ferrets with a 6 (or 8 I can't remember) week lab animal elective. Plus you have a bunch of free time for externships/electives where you can go somewhere to get even more experience!

As for avian, we have raptor rehab, which is a student ran club that takes care of of injured birds (along with some resident birds). It offers great experience and you can medically manage cases in the hospital even as a second year! (and help out with treatments as a first year!)

Wow that's awesome! Thank you so much. Are you interested in those kind of species? You seem very knowledgable :) By free time, do you mean like during the summer? Or is that included in the curriculum?

Wow that's awesome! Thank you so much. Are you interested in those kind of species? You seem very knowledgable :) By free time, do you mean like during the summer? Or is that included in the curriculum?
if you schedule effectively, you can get 2 8 week free blocks (blocks are from 6-8 weeks) 2 free thirds (1/3 of a block at 2 weeks a piece), and 10 weeks of electives (which can be completed outside of the university with approval). So a lot of free time outside of the university if you choose!
Edit: Wasn't clear about the fact that this is during clinics.

Last edited:
Pros
-2 years of clinics. I cannot stress how big this one is until you are in vet school. That light at the end of the tunnel is so much closer, the freedom to do a much larger number of externships and preceptorships then non 2+2 programs (which I am pretty sure is just limited to here and Mississippi). My sister, who is already a vet, said if she had to do it again, she would do a 2+2 in a heartbeat.
-Large number of tests. Seems like this should be a negative, but for me, it's much better to get more frequent exams worth less, then to have this one huge exam that is worth your entire grade. And you get used to the large number of tests quickly. My fiance transferred here and prefers the multiple exams compared to 1-2 mega exams that your whole grade lies on.
-IS tuition after the first year. Combined with cost of living that is so low. Cost should be one of your biggest factors when selecting a school.
-The teachers really do care about your success, to a ridiculous degree. They will come in on the weekends to help you, or do anything in their power to help you. Last year we had a teacher come in and give a 2ish hour review on her birthday, which was on a Sunday.
-If you are interested in research, the ability to do research as a non-PhD student is very easy. I worked in 3 labs prior to starting my PhD (from oncology work, to vaccine trial on rats, to sepsis research using dogs that came into emergency/internal med).
-On average, I think we are in classes possibly a bit less often per week than other vet schools, based on conversations with vet students from other programs.
--The area of Columbia is pretty fantastic, it's a solid college town and you still have rural areas close by.
-Raptor rehab, for those interested in doing birds. You essentially get to run the medical management of cases in your first year, which is pretty awesome.
-Although students don't take full advantage of this, clinicians, residents, and interns are more than happy to have students shadow/follow along in the hospital.
-For those worried about being required to do terminal surgeries, the option is provided to you to elect not to do them (although very few people actually do this)
-NAVLE pass rate is very high (normally 99%+)
-VET (program for incoming students where you get to know your classmates before you get into the thick of things)
-We have a very good Big-Little program, and there is a significant amount of communication and friendships throughout the classes (not just limited to the year above/below)
-For the person who had an interest in lab animal. Cannot stress how awesome the lab animal program is. The person who heads it up will probably be one of your favorite professors. We have one of the most established (longest running) and competitive lab animal programs in the U.S. You can also do ASLAP over the summer to do work in the lab animal program as a first or second year.

Cons
-Parking first year is really not wonderful (10 minute walk to the school), but is good for every other year
-Your summers are 7-8 weeks long, and Christmas is 2-3 weeks long, but that's the trade off for getting to clinics quicker (you have to make up the time somewhere)
-We work off of a 8 week system for classes. For some people, some classes feel crammed. I personally had no issue with it, especially since they ease you into it by combining your first two blocks to form a semester.
-If you are looking to do a lot of didactic electives before clinics, you aren't going to find them until your final 2 IPs. It's a trade off with getting a ton of time to do electives in your clinical block.
-There is not a TON of in the hospital experience before clinical year. You definitely do clinical skills in your 3rd and 4th IP, you do surgery class during your 2nd/3rd year. But there isn't a lot of time forcing you to go into the clinic (but once again, if you have the initiative, you will not be turned away from shadowing by clinicians)

Pro/Con depending on perspective
-Mizzou does not do tracking.

Pros
--The area of Columbia is pretty fantastic, it's a solid college town and you still have rural areas close by.
-Raptor rehab, for those interested in doing birds. You essentially get to run the medical management of cases in your first year, which is pretty awesome.
-Although students don't take full advantage of this, clinicians, residents, and interns are more than happy to have students shadow/follow along in the hospital.
-For those worried about being required to do terminal surgeries, the option is provided to you to elect not to do them (although very few people actually do this)
-NAVLE pass rate is very high (normally 99%+)
-VET (program for incoming students where you get to know your classmates before you get into the thick of things)
-We have a very good Big-Little program, and there is a significant amount of communication and friendships throughout the classes (not just limited to the year above/below)
-For the person who had an interest in lab animal. Cannot stress how awesome the lab animal program is. The person who heads it up will probably be one of your favorite professors. We have one of the most established (longest running) and competitive lab animal programs in the U.S. You can also do ASLAP over the summer to do work in the lab animal program as a first or second year.

Cons
-Parking first year is really not wonderful (10 minute walk to the school), but is good for every other year
-Your summers are 7-8 weeks long, and Christmas is 2-3 weeks long, but that's the trade off for getting to clinics quicker (you have to make up the time somewhere)
-We work off of a 8 week system for classes. For some people, some classes feel crammed. I personally had no issue with it, especially since they ease you into it by combining your first two blocks to form a semester.
-If you are looking to do a lot of didactic electives before clinics, you aren't going to find them until your final 2 IPs. It's a trade off with getting a ton of time to do electives in your clinical block.
-There is not a TON of in the hospital experience before clinical year. You definitely do clinical skills in your 3rd and 4th IP, you do surgery class during your 2nd/3rd year. But there isn't a lot of time forcing you to go into the clinic (but once again, if you have the initiative, you will not be turned away from shadowing by clinicians)

Pro/Con depending on perspective
-Mizzou does not do tracking.

I personally think a lot of those cons sound like pros, but I may be biased, since Mizzou is my top choice :)
As to the shadowing in the teaching hospital, do you know if clinicians would allow that for incoming students before the start of first year? My lease is up at the end of June, so the plan right now is to move my family and myself down to Columbia at the beginning of July. If I could jump in and get my feet wet before classes start, getting to know some of the staff and getting more experience with the way things work down there, that would be pretty sweet. It's either that, or I find a job somewhere for a month or two... o_O

I personally think a lot of those cons sound like pros, but I may be biased, since Mizzou is my top choice :)
As to the shadowing in the teaching hospital, do you know if clinicians would allow that for incoming students before the start of first year? My lease is up at the end of June, so the plan right now is to move my family and myself down to Columbia at the beginning of July. If I could jump in and get my feet wet before classes start, getting to know some of the staff and getting more experience with the way things work down there, that would be pretty sweet. It's either that, or I find a job somewhere for a month or two... o_O
I wouldn't imagine it being an issue, just introduce yourself as an incoming first year. The one issue I do see is that you will need an access badge that will allow you access to those areas of the hospital, which I am not sure what date they actually activate those for incoming first years.

When we came for the interview, one of the students mentioned getting in state tuition their first year because their spouse had a full time job. Can anyone give me specifics on how to qualify for this? They mentioned that it had to be a full time job with benefits. I'm just curious what specific benefits are needed. Thanks!

When we came for the interview, one of the students mentioned getting in state tuition their first year because their spouse had a full time job. Can anyone give me specifics on how to qualify for this? They mentioned that it had to be a full time job with benefits. I'm just curious what specific benefits are needed. Thanks!
Funny enough, I had looked into this a bit when there was a possibility that my fiancé was going to work full time here. If I recall, it had to do with working the amount of time at this job, in a full time capacity, to be eligible for the associated benefits (I think 3 months was the magic number?) I don't think it cared about what specific benefits, but I will let others weigh in on this.

Hello! Are any of the accepted students looking into housing yet? I have never had to rent an apartment or house so I'm looking early! I would love to live with people who would be in my class! I've already found some really cheap places - can't believe how cheap Missouri is! Haha. I've found a 3 bedroom house with everything included, furniture and appliances, along with internet and heat. All for 700 a month or $235 for each of the three people. My friend is currently a first year and she advised what would be the best rentals, houses and townhouses are great for vet students. This will keep us away from the noisey apartment neighbors so we can focus on our studies! If anyone else is looking yet for housing (I'm doing this early haha) please contact me! I would love to start roommate searching now :)

Message me on here or email me: [email protected] and I can tell you more about myself!

Congrats to all the accepted students!

Reactions: 2 users
I need serious help... if it comes to the point where I have to decide can someone make me an arguement for why Mizzou would be the better choice over MN!? I loved them both so much and I don't see how I could go wrong either way! Any pointers on how you choose?? Money is not a concern as I've figured after the four years the cost of admission are extremely similar!

I need serious help... if it comes to the point where I have to decide can someone make me an arguement for why Mizzou would be the better choice over MN!? I loved them both so much and I don't see how I could go wrong either way! Any pointers on how you choose?? Money is not a concern as I've figured after the four years the cost of admission are extremely similar!

Is Minnesota your in-state school? If not, then Mizzou would be much cheaper than 4 years of OOS tuition at MN. And the 2+2 at Mizzou seems to be insanely amazing to me. I was reading threads for people who are currently in vet school and it seems like having the light at the end of the tunnel (clinicals) so much closer seems like it would be very good to have. But if they are equal to you, take a look at cost of living (Columbia is cheap), how far you will be away from family, flight cost home, etc. Not really sure what your situation is but those are some things I would consider

Honestly, both schools are going to get you to where you need to go, and both schools are going to provide you a great education. Since they are both vet schools, you will find things to love and hate about both of them. Especially if the cost is going to be similar, then it just depends on what preferences you have on location, curriculum, etc.

Anyways, I really adore Mizzou and would love to tell you more about it if you have any specific questions!

What area are you looking to go into in terms of medicine? What's interests do you have within veterinary medicine? What would you say you value when looking at a school?

Is Minnesota your in-state school? If not, then Mizzou would be much cheaper than 4 years of OOS tuition at MN. And the 2+2 at Mizzou seems to be insanely amazing to me. I was reading threads for people who are currently in vet school and it seems like having the light at the end of the tunnel (clinicals) so much closer seems like it would be very good to have. But if they are equal to you, take a look at cost of living (Columbia is cheap), how far you will be away from family, flight cost home, etc. Not really sure what your situation is but those are some things I would consider

Yeah mn is my instate! I guess I'm more so looking into curriculum structure 2+2, blocks, professor support, opportunities outside of the classroom do get hands on experience in the first 2 years.

Looking for recommendations for rental companies or good places to rent a duplex or single family home. I've looked online but had to tell why will be available in June/July. Thanks for any help!

Looking for recommendations for rental companies or good places to rent a duplex or single family home. I've looked online but had to tell why will be available in June/July. Thanks for any help!

Good location is seven oaks neighborhood near campusview apartments although if you do like the neighborhood and find something good in their to rent make sure it's not through Overton student housing/Adam Rau...I rented from him for two years and I would never wish it open anyone else!

Other places I've rented from are Boulder springs which is a bit more pricey but extremely nice is located just outside the seven oaks neighborhood

And finally Jacobs property management...nice spacious homes but they are a bit older but a lot cheaper aka you get what you pay for here...tons of other rental companies have properties in the bear field area...

Personally those are the areas I know but if you have questions about somewhere else I may know someone who has rented through them!
I hope this was helpful?

If anyone is looking for a place, our duplex will be up for grabs starting June 1st!
Very friendly towards animals (we have 4-5 dogs in the house and 2 cats).
Feel free to send me a message if you want more info or have questions regarding Mizzou :)

Good location is seven oaks neighborhood near campusview apartments although if you do like the neighborhood and find something good in their to rent make sure it's not through Overton student housing/Adam Rau...I rented from him for two years and I would never wish it open anyone else!

Other places I've rented from are Boulder springs which is a bit more pricey but extremely nice is located just outside the seven oaks neighborhood

And finally Jacobs property management...nice spacious homes but they are a bit older but a lot cheaper aka you get what you pay for here...tons of other rental companies have properties in the bear field area...

Personally those are the areas I know but if you have questions about somewhere else I may know someone who has rented through them!
I hope this was helpful?
Very helpful! Thanks!
I have looked at the Jacobs property, but they have low reviews. So that does scare me! Is it too early to be looking? I want to move in June/July.