Mixed race? = URM?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Favrey

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, My mother is full Puerto Rican, born in Puerto Rico. She is the first in her family with a college degree. My father however, is white, so i guess that makes me half puerto rican. But, I look white, and people who meet me for the first time don't think I am puerto rican until it comes up in conversation.

I also don't speak spanish fluently, as my mother had a tough time teaching me because of my father, who also doesn't speak it (but you'd be surprised how many puerto ricans don't speak spanish, especially in nyc where i'm from). Even so, I grew up around family on my mom's side (often referred to lovingly as "gringo" or "whitebread"), and I've visited family in puerto rico numerous times, so relate very strongly to puerto rican culture.

would i be considered URM? I think i should be, although i've read posts on here that they weigh heavily on physical characteristics, such as color (even though puerto ricans are all colors). Would they think that i was being dishonest if i checked it on the application, but saw that I was physically white?

Members don't see this ad.

Half is definitely enough, especially if you identify strongly with your puerto rican heritage. I am mixed, half black half white. I look latina, but could also pass for middle eastern, indian, native american, jewish, italian, haha pretty much anything but asian. You check the boxes, you know what to check. You can actually check white and hispanic/puerto rican. I have never once been questioned about what i entered, although few people would guess i'm black to see me. I still got interviews at schools where i had to send in a pic, so they don't think you're lying or anything-- and remember, puerto ricans are often affectionately called the "rainbow race" because they can look like anything. I have 100% puerto rican friends wtih blond hair, green eyes and pale skin. others with light brown hair who you'd never think weren't just "white". Others who could immediately be identified as latino, and some who are black. Don't worry, you can definitely feel comfortable checking the "hispanic" box.

So, My mother is full Puerto Rican, born in Puerto Rico. She is the first in her family with a college degree. My father however, is white, so i guess that makes me half puerto rican. But, I look white, and people who meet me for the first time don't think I am puerto rican until it comes up in conversation.

I also don't speak spanish fluently, as my mother had a tough time teaching me because of my father, who also doesn't speak it (but you'd be surprised how many puerto ricans don't speak spanish, especially in nyc where i'm from). Even so, I grew up around family on my mom's side (often referred to lovingly as "gringo" or "whitebread"), and I've visited family in puerto rico numerous times, so relate very strongly to puerto rican culture.

would i be considered URM? I think i should be, although i've read posts on here that they weigh heavily on physical characteristics, such as color (even though puerto ricans are all colors). Would they think that i was being dishonest if i checked it on the application, but saw that I was physically white?

I wouldn't worry about this. You are not being dishonest and you can check "white" for your race and "Latino" for your ethnicity. I have a similar background to you, and had similar questions when I was applying. I was rarely asked about it during interviews, and if so it was in the context of secondaries I had written about ultimately wanting to work with the Latino community. And it has never been an issue in medical school. Good luck with your applications.

Members don't see this ad :)

Well I got some good news. The US Census Bureau classifies you as caucasian...enough is enough tiger woods, take a sociology class, you might like it.

I wouldn't worry about this. You are not being dishonest and you can check "white" for your race and "Latino" for your ethnicity. I have a similar background to you, and had similar questions when I was applying. I was rarely asked about it during interviews, and if so it was in the context of secondaries I had written about ultimately wanting to work with the Latino community. And it has never been an issue in medical school. Good luck with your applications.

Agreed. race = white, ethnicity = Latino (they are two separate questions on AMCAS).

I actually have a Tiger Woods-ish background, and a few adcoms have found that interesting (and in fact, one of my interviewers was of a similar background, which is interesting because it's hard to find). But most likely you won't be asked about this too much, unless of course you bring it up in your essays.

Agree with the others; you should check both boxes. It's the truth: you are part white, and part Puerto Rican. How you look does not enter into the equation; it's your ancestry and heritage that matter. Being half URM and half white will qualify you as URM at my school.

Thanks for the info all. I understand the difference between race/ethnicity, but i've never seen an application, so wasn't aware that there were two boxes. with other applications, i've had to choose between "hispanic" and "white-non hispanic/latino", or something along those lines. so, thanks for the heads up, i'm not so worried about it anymore.

Well I got some good news. The US Census Bureau classifies you as caucasian...enough is enough tiger woods, take a sociology class, you might like it.

I'm actually an anthropology major, and i'm not really sure what you're getting at. I realize that according to the census bureau, that my race is considered caucasian. There is no "hispanic" race option in the census, but hispanic is an option for ethnicity. Those who are ethnically puerto rican, can choose between any race, but as far as URM, they are all eligible regardless of their race. So, i'm classified as caucasian, so? I don't really understand the significance of that. I'm also classified as ethnically latino.

LovelyMD, just out of curiosity, what is your racial heritage?

I think I have a similar thing going for me. My mom is Pakistani and my Dad is white (Swiss ancestry) but I'm completely white looking. I've also felt that they might think I am misrepresenting myself. Its weird though, I get the best of both worlds, I'm never racially profiled or had people discriminate against me, yet people of other cultures love that I'm half minority. It can also be kind of hard to deal with because my brother has my mom's complexion and he often has to deal with the racial discrimination.

Congrats to everyone and good luck to others! 4th year Orthopedic surgery resident here! Contact here or PM with questions!

Dr. Webb