Mississippi College Masters of Medical Sciences

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I applied to this program and got accepted fairly quickly.

Members don't see this ad.

I have a few questions about the program since I don't know much about it. Does anyone know the percentage of students that graduate from the graduate program matriculate into medical school?
Thanks ahead of time!

Got a conditional acceptance yesterday! I just have to finish my undergraduate degree this semester and send them my final transcripts. I was pretty surprised at how fast they processed my application. I was mainly in contact with Ms. Debbie DePriest, who helped me with most of my application questions. She's very friendly and responds fairly quickly. I sent my application materials on 3/9, paid my application fee on 3/18 (I was hesitant to complete my application because I wanted to do more research on the program), and received an email for acceptance for the fall semester on 3/23.

I'll be an out of state student (coming from Florida) and I was worried about how this program will help me as I've read that most of it's success has been with in state students with most of them matriculating into UMMC. Adam Davis from MC graduate admissions gave me a call and left a message (unfortunately I was in class and couldn't pick up) that said "for as many in state students we have, we most likely have that many out of state students as well. The program is not designed for Mississippi residents only. It is not designed for UMC, although we do make up the largest amount of students that start at UMC. I would say that students from out of state are incredibly successful as well. Right now we're seeing twice the national average for completing a program like this and matriculating into med school, dental school, or professional school of any kind." It seems like a promising program, but I have read that only schools in the south really know about it.

In my opinion MC has one of the best programs around if you want to apply to schools in the south (unless you can get into an SMP with an official linkage/guaranteed interview). Cost of tuition is definitely on the lower end (while some can 30k, 40k, or even more per year). From reading through forums it seems like the classes offered are no joke and are a serious way to prove that you can handle the med school courses. Most people said they learned how to really study and that it has/will prepare them for their future medical school classes. Right now I'm in the process of applying to other programs as well, but unless they have a strong linkage to med schools, I'll probably being at MC in the fall.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
MC masters of medical sciences is a great program to go to. I graduated from there in December and learned a lot. Learned HOW to actually study for rigorous medical school courses. And yes these classes are NOT a joke. I've heard they are definitely harder than most medical schools. If you can handle MC, you can handle medical school. This program has sent students to medical, dental, and PA school across the nation. It is good for UMMC, but is not restricted to that school. More students from the program actually get into out of state schools. Every year theres about 2-3 students that gets into Tufts Dental school, during my term one got into UNC Dental school which is in the top 10 worldwide, tons of MD and DO schools. My friend finished the program last May and will be attending Nova this year, since you're from Florida that shows you some potential. Most of the students in the MC program are from out of state, and a bunch from far away. Basically the entire southeastern coast is starting to recognize this program as we send students to a bunch of their schools and exceed expectations. 2 LSU medical schools, UMMC, William Carey, ACOM, VCOM-Auburn, ArCOM, NOVA, PCOM, etc.

MC masters of medical sciences is a great program to go to. I graduated from there in December and learned a lot. Learned HOW to actually study for rigorous medical school courses. And yes these classes are NOT a joke. I've heard they are definitely harder than most medical schools. If you can handle MC, you can handle medical school. This program has sent students to medical, dental, and PA school across the nation. It is good for UMMC, but is not restricted to that school. More students from the program actually get into out of state schools. Every year theres about 2-3 students that gets into Tufts Dental school, during my term one got into UNC Dental school which is in the top 10 worldwide, tons of MD and DO schools. My friend finished the program last May and will be attending Nova this year, since you're from Florida that shows you some potential. Most of the students in the MC program are from out of state, and a bunch from far away. Basically the entire southeastern coast is starting to recognize this program as we send students to a bunch of their schools and exceed expectations. 2 LSU medical schools, UMMC, William Carey, ACOM, VCOM-Auburn, ArCOM, NOVA, PCOM, etc.

Oh wow that's great! I'll definitely being calling up Florida med school admissions to see how they view the MC program. Do you have any specific tips for those entering the program this fall? What sequence of 5+ credit courses did you take? I'm thinking about taking med phys 1 in the fall, med phys 2 in the spring, and pharm over the summer (Would it be done by late July? I think a good amount of med schools say they start late July). I was interested in the Gross Anatomy class, but I'm a little worried about having two 5+ classes in the same semester.

Oh wow that's great! I'll definitely being calling up Florida med school admissions to see how they view the MC program. Do you have any specific tips for those entering the program this fall? What sequence of 5+ credit courses did you take? I'm thinking about taking med phys 1 in the fall, med phys 2 in the spring, and pharm over the summer (Would it be done by late July? I think a good amount of med schools say they start late July). I was interested in the Gross Anatomy class, but I'm a little worried about having two 5+ classes in the same semester.

Ok so you have to take 3 5-hour courses to graduate, but you also need 33 hours total. So the rest of the hours will come from electives. Gross anatomy counts as a 5-hour course. I would recommend taking Med Phys 1 and another 3-hour course (immunology) in the Fall (9 hours). Gross anatomy and graduate seminar in the spring (10 hours). Pharm 1 and 2 over the summer (one of my regrets was not taking pharm while I was there, because it is such a huge part of board exams) (10 hours). Finally, Neuro and a 3-hour in the fall and then graduate that december (8 hours). Totaling at 37 hours.

So heres the deal. If you really want to graduate in 1 year then you would have to pile on tougher classes together. I would say to do 1.5 years and do well in ALL of your classes. I spent 1.5 years just to make sure i got the grades. So its up to you, if you think you can handle it go for it.

For a 1 year plan. I would say: Med Phys 1 and 2 in the fall (11 hours), Gross anatomy and graduate seminar in the spring (10 hours), Pharm 1 and 2, and Unifying principles of biology or food & water microbiology (13 hours). Totaling at 34 hours. I think Pharm 1 is month of June and Pharm 2 is month of July. But you would be able to graduate after that.

I think you should apply to medical school in June and let them know you will be starting the program. Some schools will want to see how you perform your first semester and may even accept you after that, then you wouldn't have to worry about this program anymore.

The 1 year route is a healthy wholesome plan

I'm going to attend this program starting this summer. Very nervous! I hope this program is going to help me with my goal.

I'm going to attend this program starting this summer. Very nervous! I hope this program is going to help me with my goal.

Just make sure you hit the ground running. A lot of people that start there don't expect such a difficult curriculum and have to drop courses or end up with mediocre grades. What courses are you taking?

Reactions: 1 user
Just make sure you hit the ground running. A lot of people that start there don't expect such a difficult curriculum and have to drop courses or end up with mediocre grades. What courses are you taking?
I read through this thread from page 1 to 16 and I'm going to finish this program in more than a year. I just talked to Dr. Baldwin and am going to take biochem/macrmolecule summer I (I didn't take biochem during undergrad) and take summer II off to study for DAT. I'll take gross anatomy with another 4/5 credit class. I still have not planned other classes. I think it's better to start the program first and decide which classes are right for me.

UPDATE: to those who are reading these comments: I realized that it might be hard to take 8h credit gross anatomy with another 4/5 credits. There were students who took this course by itself. I think I am going to be one of those students who need to take it by itself. I thought to add this to my comment not to mislead anyone here.

UPDATE 2018: Well, I'm almost done with the program and if you have any question, please let me know. If you are a pre-medical student, it's better to take your gross with another class. Taking only gross anatomy doesn't look appealing to your medical school admission committee. Medical microbiology with Dr. Grave and Embryology with Dr. Barlow are the two popular classes to take with gross anatomy. If you are pre dental students, gross is fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 3 users
Hello All,

I was conditionally accepted to Mississippi College about 1 month ago and I plan to start classes this upcoming Summer (May 30th). I was actually wondering if anyone would be interested in becoming roommates?

I found a great apartment location nearby campus (7 minute drive) that should be available for move-in by May 10th. The place is called The Reserve at Woodchase. If you look at the pictures of this place (mostly pictures of the community area, but they do feature pictures of a model living/dining area), its aesthetically pleasing and looks well worth the price. The place was built in 2003 so it's relatively new compared to other apartments that are nearby.

Anyways, if any of you are interested in rooming with me, please let me know! I am a male, currently a senior at UT Dallas, and I would consider myself pretty laid back (except when it comes to school lol). If you are interested in rooming with me, and learning more about a potential roommate, please feel free to shoot me a DM. Thanks guys!

Here's a link to the gallery for the apartment:

Reserve at Woodchase | Apartments for Rent in Clinton, MS

Last edited:

Hey this may seem like a dumb question but is there a GPA requirement? My science GPA isn't that great so was just wondering if anyone has got into the program with a low GPA. MY GRE scores are above the minimum so just trying to see if I have a chance of getting in if I applied.

Hey this may seem like a dumb question but is there a GPA requirement? My science GPA isn't that great so was just wondering if anyone has got into the program with a low GPA. MY GRE scores are above the minimum so just trying to see if I have a chance of getting in if I applied.

I don't think that there is a GPA requirement. My GPA was low and I got in. I don't think they really care, but your best option is to check out their website and maybe email/call the department and ask. Most likely, you will get in easily

Members don't see this ad :)

I personally have a very low GPA, main reason for not getting into professional school and attending this program! There's a required grade-sheet that you have to fill out and email. I made mostly As in these classes. My DAT score is 18 which is very average. I inserted the link to this gradesheet down here, not sure if you can open it or not. You can access it if you go on MC Master's of Biological Science page, toward the bottom. You can always call and ask, but I think you should be getting in easy.
http://www.mc.edu/academics/graduat...gy_Medical_Science_Grade_Sheet_-_REQUIRED.pdf

UPDATE 2018: 98% of the students here have screwed up during their undergrad. You won't be the first to have a low GPA. But we all work hard here!

I personally have a very low GPA, main reason for not getting into professional school and attending this program! There's a required grade-sheet that you have to fill out and email. I made mostly As in these classes. My DAT score is 18 which is very average. I inserted the link to this gradesheet down here, not sure if you can open it or not. You can access it if you go on MC Master's of Biological Science page, toward the bottom. You can always call and ask, but I think you should be getting in easy.
http://www.mc.edu/academics/graduat...gy_Medical_Science_Grade_Sheet_-_REQUIRED.pdf
I never saw this. I guess I'll fill it out.

Just curious if anyone knows the max amount of loans you can take (coa).
I filled out FAFSA last week and it was process within two days. I called MC financial aid center and the unsubsidized loan would actually cover almost 90% of the tuition FOR ME. They also offered gradplus loan, but you have to wait until May 2nd to apply for it and it only takes two days to receive the money. I definitely recommend you to call them directly and have their opinions as well.

Has anyone taken Med phys 1 or Human embryology? Also I am talking to someone that will be starting in the fall as well and we are looking for apartments in Jackson. If anyone is looking for a roomie just let me know!

Last edited:
Has anyone taken Med phys 1 or Human embryology? Also I am talking to someone that will be starting in the fall as well and we are looking for apartments in Jackson. If anyone is looking for a roomie just let me know!

Yes i've taken Med Phys 1. Hard class, but definitely worth it. You learn a lot.

I haven't taken embryo, but i've heard that it's very boring and the class load is like that of a 5-hour

Hey guys, how long did it take for you to hear back after submitting your application? I'm just waiting now and it's stressing me out since it's so close to when classes start

Hey guys, how long did it take for you to hear back after submitting your application? I'm just waiting now and it's stressing me out since it's so close to when classes start
I submitted my application around 3/10. I received an email on 3/13 from Mr. Davis telling me that he would be my advisor. 3/28 I received my acceptance. You should call or email. Let me know if you have more questions.

Sent from my SM-G900T using SDN mobile

They told me that I could register even after the classes start. I was worried about classes getting filled up quickly.

The only GPA requirement that the program has is a 2.5 cGPA.

I submitted my application around 3/10. I recieved an email on 3/13 from Mr. Davis telling me that he would be my advisor. 3/28 I received my acceptance. You should call or email. Let me know if you have more questions.

Thanks! I e-mailed Mr. Davis asking if everything has been received and he hasn't replied yet, which is kinda weird since he usually replies quickly. I'll probably give him a call tomorrow.

Anyone know the deadlines for 2017-2018 cycle? The info on the website is from last year...
Also is this program primarily for pre-med students? I'm a pre-dental and was wondering if this program would make me competitive for dental school. Thanks!

Anyone know the deadlines for 2017-2018 cycle? The info on the website is from last year...
Also is this program primarily for pre-med students? I'm a pre-dental and was wondering if this program would make me competitive for dental school. Thanks!

Primarily pre-med. I was one of the few going for dental. I would call Dr. Baldwin or the office about deadlines.

I've heard so many mixed reviews about this program and how much it actually helps you to get into medical school. Has anyone gotten into medical school in Texas after this program or know anyone that has?

Primarily pre-med. I was one of the few going for dental. I would call Dr. Baldwin or the office about deadlines.

How did you like the program? In your opinion, did this program give you a competitive edge for acceptance?

I've heard so many mixed reviews about this program and how much it actually helps you to get into medical school. Has anyone gotten into medical school in Texas after this program or know anyone that has?

How did you like the program? In your opinion, did this program give you a competitive edge for acceptance?

One of my friends made it to a med school in TX.

The program was challenging, and helped quite a bit in regards to competitiveness as an applicant.

Hello All,

I was conditionally accepted to Mississippi College about 1 month ago and I plan to start classes this upcoming Summer (May 30th). I was actually wondering if anyone would be interested in becoming roommates?

I found a great apartment location nearby campus (7 minute drive) that should be available for move-in by May 10th. The place is called The Reserve at Woodchase. If you look at the pictures of this place (mostly pictures of the community area, but they do feature pictures of a model living/dining area), its aesthetically pleasing and looks well worth the price. The place was built in 2003 so it's relatively new compared to other apartments that are nearby.

Anyways, if any of you are interested in rooming with me, please let me know! I am a male, currently a senior at UT Dallas, and I would consider myself pretty laid back (except when it comes to school lol). If you are interested in rooming with me, and learning more about a potential roommate, please feel free to shoot me a DM. Thanks guys!

Here's a link to the gallery for the apartment:

Reserve at Woodchase | Apartments for Rent in Clinton, MS

Hey I am actually going to be in the summer to attend the Mississippi College Program as well. I am a male currently a senior at Clemson University from Clemson,SC. I am also looking for a roommate as well. I am the same way I am pretty laid back and I am very serious about my school work. I checked out the apartment and pictures look great. It's quite expensive, but I'm looking at other places as well. Please DM me so I can get an idea of what you're thinking.

Hey I am actually going to be in the summer to attend the Mississippi College Program as well. I am a male currently a senior at Clemson University from Clemson,SC. I am also looking for a roommate as well. I am the same way I am pretty laid back and I am very serious about my school work. I checked out the apartment and pictures look great. I'm looking at other places as well. Please DM me so I can get an idea of what you're thinking.

I don't think that there is a GPA requirement. My GPA was low and I got in. I don't think they really care, but your best option is to check out their website and maybe email/call the department and ask. Most likely, you will get in easily
How low was your GPA if you don't mind me asking? Mine is pretty low but my science classes had pretty ok grades

Hey guys, any insight on this potential schedule if I start this Fall?

Fall - 16 Credits:
Gross Anatomy (8)
Med Phys 1 (6)
Grad Seminar (2)

Spring - 15 Credits:
Neuroanatomy (5)
Med Phys 2 (5)
Histology (5)

May - 3 Credits:
Intro to Toxicology (3)

Total: 34 Credits. Boom?

I've taken gross anatomy before with cadaver lab and did just fine, so I by no means am underestimating the rigor, but I feel like I'm coming into it with a nice foundation that wouldn't make pairing it with Med Phys so bad. Thoughts? And what IS grad seminar, exactly? I just see that it's required.

Spring looks a little uglier... Any insight on histology? I studied neuroscience in undergrad so neuroanatomy isn't too alien to me and I worked in a muscle bio lab doing histology - again, I get that the classes are going to demand WAY more than what I already know, but I'm just wondering if anyone has gone into them with that kind of base knowledge that made it more manageable.

Finally - what is "Maymester"? Toxicology is offered and one other class is as well, which seems like a nice deal to finish up everything before med school applications open. I'm assuming it's just a quick 3-4 week course before Summer classes.

I spoke with Stan yesterday on the phone who successfully shattered any iota of an idea that the program would be a breeze, so I'm asking for insight here to make sure I'm not unintentionally underestimating this sort of schedule. Thanks ladies and gents!

Hey guys, any insight on this potential schedule if I start this Fall?

Fall - 16 Credits:
Gross Anatomy (8)
Med Phys 1 (6)
Grad Seminar (2)

Spring - 15 Credits:
Neuroanatomy (5)
Med Phys 2 (5)
Histology (5)

May - 3 Credits:
Intro to Toxicology (3)

Total: 34 Credits. Boom?

I've taken gross anatomy before with cadaver lab and did just fine, so I by no means am underestimating the rigor, but I feel like I'm coming into it with a nice foundation that wouldn't make pairing it with Med Phys so bad. Thoughts? And what IS grad seminar, exactly? I just see that it's required.

Spring looks a little uglier... Any insight on histology? I studied neuroscience in undergrad so neuroanatomy isn't too alien to me and I worked in a muscle bio lab doing histology - again, I get that the classes are going to demand WAY more than what I already know, but I'm just wondering if anyone has gone into them with that kind of base knowledge that made it more manageable.

Finally - what is "Maymester"? Toxicology is offered and one other class is as well, which seems like a nice deal to finish up everything before med school applications open. I'm assuming it's just a quick 3-4 week course before Summer classes.

I spoke with Stan yesterday on the phone who successfully shattered any iota of an idea that the program would be a breeze, so I'm asking for insight here to make sure I'm not unintentionally underestimating this sort of schedule. Thanks ladies and gents!

Sorry to bust your bubble. But that schedule is almost near impossible (i'm not trying to underestimate your potential, but it's just according to what i've seen students do in the past and it did not go well at all). Almost each of those courses, gross anatomy, med phys 1, med phys 2, and histo are no joke. Gross anatomy itself is like having a 70 hour work week. Don't underestimate this program. It can make or break you. If you are looking to make B/B- in the courses then I would say that it is doable. But if you want As then you might need to rethink your schedule.

Dr. Baldwin almost always recommends taking Gross anatomy by itself or with a 3 hour course and Med phys 1 and 2 together (but there is only a little bit of overlap, not much). Neuro was not too bad, but it takes time to understand the material. If you pick things up fast then you should be good. But I DO NOT recommend taking Gross with Med phys 1. Those two are the hardest classes in the program.

Taking three 5 hour courses is not a good idea. I've seen students take two 5-hours and have a rough time. Not saying it's impossible, just that it's highly unlikely that you will make As in those courses.

Grad sem is a required course where you basically just give a presentation on a topic of your choice. About 20 min or so depending on your teacher. I would recommend doing that during maymester or summer because then it only lasts a few days instead of a whole semester. Maymester lasts about 3-4 weeks I think, but for grad sem its even shorter, like 3-4 days.

Sorry to bust your bubble. But that schedule is almost near impossible (i'm not trying to underestimate your potential, but it's just according to what i've seen students do in the past and it did not go well at all). Almost each of those courses, gross anatomy, med phys 1, med phys 2, and histo are no joke. Gross anatomy itself is like having a 70 hour work week. Don't underestimate this program. It can make or break you. If you are looking to make B/B- in the courses then I would say that it is doable. But if you want As then you might need to rethink your schedule.

Dr. Baldwin almost always recommends taking Gross anatomy by itself or with a 3 hour course and Med phys 1 and 2 together (but there is only a little bit of overlap, not much). Neuro was not too bad, but it takes time to understand the material. If you pick things up fast then you should be good. But I DO NOT recommend taking Gross with Med phys 1. Those two are the hardest classes in the program.

Taking three 5 hour courses is not a good idea. I've seen students take two 5-hours and have a rough time. Not saying it's impossible, just that it's highly unlikely that you will make As in those courses.

Grad sem is a required course where you basically just give a presentation on a topic of your choice. About 20 min or so depending on your teacher. I would recommend doing that during maymester or summer because then it only lasts a few days instead of a whole semester. Maymester lasts about 3-4 weeks I think, but for grad sem its even shorter, like 3-4 days.

Thanks for the response and thank you for bursting my bubble! I really am trying to not overestimate myself or underestimate the courses. A's are the goal indeed so I'm thankful to get some good insight. Are there any courses that are absolutely worth taking? I'm thinking now of gross with embryology and then the physio classes in the spring, toxicology with grad seminar in maymester (my new favorite word), and then something in summer. Somehow that would put me at 32 credits... do people utilize the 1 credit options easily or would that be an annoying process? Now a 4-credit lab course alongside gross sounds like it would be... unfortunate.

Thanks for the response and thank you for bursting my bubble! I really am trying to not overestimate myself or underestimate the courses. A's are the goal indeed so I'm thankful to get some good insight. Are there any courses that are absolutely worth taking? I'm thinking now of gross with embryology and then the physio classes in the spring, toxicology with grad seminar in maymester (my new favorite word), and then something in summer. Somehow that would put me at 32 credits... do people utilize the 1 credit options easily or would that be an annoying process? Now a 4-credit lab course alongside gross sounds like it would be... unfortunate.
I'm starting this program this summer, so I already registered for summer and fall. I have to tell you that gross is full for fall 2017. I'm sorry to ruin this for you! I recommend to act fast.

UPDATE 2018: you won't be able to take gross anatomy your first year. I just figured it out after a year being in this program!

If anyone is starting in the fall and needs a roommate, I'm your girl! PM me if you are interested.

What are good housing options? I know there's that list online but there's just so many to chose from. Also if anyone is looking for a roommate, let me know! Females only please :)

What are good housing options? I know there's that list online but there's just so many to chose from. Also if anyone is looking for a roommate, let me know! Females only please :)
I have a friend who is currently in the program who lives in Brandon. It looks like the safer part of Jackson.

Hi everyone,

Congrats on getting accepted to the program. I was recently accepted also and plan to start in the fall.
If anyone is looking for a roommate, please let me know.

Hey!

I just recently submitted and was wondering how long the turnaround time was for you all to receive a decision? I'm hoping to start in the Fall!

Hey!

I just recently submitted and was wondering how long the turnaround time was for you all to receive a decision? I'm hoping to start in the Fall!

It shouldn't take too long. I would give them about 2 weeks then check back if you haven't heard anything.

It shouldn't take too long. I would give them about 2 weeks then check back if you haven't heard anything.

Thanks!

I was just accepted to the program for the Fall! I'm excited! Still waiting for a few more acceptances, but I think it's pretty decided. Is there a Facebook page for incoming students and is anyone looking for a roommate or have suggestions for where to live?

Thanks!

I was just accepted to the program for the Fall! I'm excited! Still waiting for a few more acceptances, but I think it's pretty decided. Is there a Facebook page for incoming students and is anyone looking for a roommate or have suggestions for where to live?

I think this is the most current one: Log into Facebook | Facebook

Are any of you all planning to work during this program? For people that are currently in or have graduated, do you think that's feasible?

Are any of you all planning to work during this program? For people that are currently in or have graduated, do you think that's feasible?

I would suggest taking 5 hour courses and then TA them. You won't have enough time to commit to a regular job with 20-30hr/week