Military Rotations/Bases

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anyone else had experience with this? I just want to make sure, since I get conflicting replies from the HPSP office and I really don't want to pay a bunch of money to go to an ADT only to find out later that they're not paying since I tried to do 2 in one fiscal year...
Thanks!

You can do 2 ADT's in one year. It's no problem.

Duest, I suspect you are being steathfully sarcastic in your reply.

Only one AT per fiscal year is allowed. You can do 2 in one calendar year by doing one prior to 1 Oct and one after.

Members don't see this ad.

The Army must be different than the Air Force when scheduling ADT's. For us (AF side), we can do two externships at any point during 4th year. We just have to put in a request to defer our 3rd year ADT to the 4th year.

Members don't see this ad :)
These are all good questions. I don't know about other services but I was able to do 3 Army ortho rotations without any problem. My first 2 were ADTs and my last was on my own dime. I simply called the third program and asked if I could come down on my own and they were more than willing to set me up with "housing" (old call room converted to a dorm-style space) for free. Ortho is a very competitive specialty, so yes, I wore my uniform whenever everyone else did on my third rotation.

The Army would not pay for transportation to or from my third rotation even though I did them all back-to back-to back.

how is the general surgery rotation at eglin?

Anyone interested in knowing more about WHMC General surgery, please feel free to contact me...yes I work here:)!

Hi, I'm an AF HPSP student interested in ortho and possibly general surgery. I plan to do an ortho rotation at WHMC in the beginning of 4th year. Do you advise that I do my 3rd year 10-week general surgery rotation at WHMC to become familiar with the doctors and the hospital (and have a better chance at an ortho residency), or do it at another base to spread my familiarity with both hospitals? Will doing only a 4-week ortho rotation at WHMC be enough to get an interview?

No, they will not pay for travel or housing for the remaining time. As far as they are concerned, the remaining 15 days are served at school (regardless of where they are actually served). You just get your regular AD pay. For NADTs, your best bet is to contact the program, and see if there are any residents that are willing to put you up for the duration. Other than that, try craigslist.

for NADTs, do we have to send in paperwork for orders (i.e. from AFIT) or is it only an agreement between the hospital and my school.

also when do you recommend we take step 2 of the boards?

for NADTs, do we have to send in paperwork for orders (i.e. from AFIT) or is it only an agreement between the hospital and my school.

also when do you recommend we take step 2 of the boards?

I don't think you need to spend all 10 weeks of your MS3 Surgery rotation at WHMC as an NADT (sidenote: holy crap, that's a lot of surgery). In my limited experience with the Army, they will allow any interested individual to interview, whether or not a rotation was even done. So, 4 weeks at one location will be more than adequate to secure an interview.

For NADTs, you don't need to send in any paperwork to the military for orders, or the like. You need only to set up some form of MOU between that facility and your school.

Also, I took boards in May of my third year, but that was largely because I had to go to OBC during the summer, and couldn't secure another boards date before then. Take Step 2 early, because you will probably spend those first few months of fourth-year running around military hospitals doing aways/interviews, and will not have time to study for boards. I haven't heard anything either way on whether or not it is really beneficial to have board scores in before late fall, but I imagine it could help (provided you do well, of course).

Last edited:
If you are AF, can you still gain a residency spot in Portsmouth? I'm still learning where you can and can't outside of AF bases (new HPSP), but I was just curious. I have family in the area, so that would be a great thing if AF could match in OB/GYN or Gen Surg there.

If you are AF, can you still gain a residency spot in Portsmouth? I'm still learning where you can and can't outside of AF bases (new HPSP), but I was just curious. I have family in the area, so that would be a great thing if AF could match in OB/GYN or Gen Surg there.

You might be able to do a rotation at Portsmouth, but you'll have to do your residency at an Air Force Medical Center.

You might be able to do a rotation at Portsmouth, but you'll have to do your residency at an Air Force Medical Center.

AF has Peds and OB positions at NMC Portsmouth.

NavyFP - as in residency positions? Seriously? Are they high volume? I'm hoping to match in OB (well, for now). I'll only be a MS-1 this fall, so this could change, but it is something to keep in mind. I have a sister in VA Beach that I'd love to eventually be near.

NavyFP - as in residency positions? Seriously? Are they high volume? I'm hoping to match in OB (well, for now). I'll only be a MS-1 this fall, so this could change, but it is something to keep in mind. I have a sister in VA Beach that I'd love to eventually be near.

Our OB program at Portsmouth is fairly high volume. Last I heard it was 3-4K deliveries per year. (more recent numbers may be different) Most military hospitals have active OB practices. We are mostly of breeding age. :rolleyes:

The agreement between Navy and AF is intended to be long term. Considering AF is dowsizing everywhere else, they will need a few spots to train. It should still be an option when you graduate.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone have experience with radiology at Walter Reed? Thanks!

-

Last edited:
How long does it take to hear back from Army MEDCENs when you request a rotation?

Can only speak for Tripler (took ~2-3 weeks) and Walter Reed (took ~3-4 weeks). Don't worry, it feels like they lost your application; but it works out!

I am just worried - I have rotations at other MEDCENs but wanted to switch locations. Because of this, I haven't formally requested orders and need to do this by the end of the month...

I was approved a 4-week rotation at one of the Army MEDCENs. However, I would like to request my orders for 5-6 weeks at that location. I plan to use this time to "unofficially" work with some of the doctors I know in another department (not for academic credit). I have heard of students doing this - but has anyone run into any obstacles with this. For example, will anyone give you trouble when you show up and your Orders have this 'extra' week or so on them?

Also, if I signed up for an ADT but may end up having to do one of my rotations as an NADT instead, will anyone at that site give me trouble for not actually having orders? I already know that I will be footing the bill for travel and lodging during that time, but still plan to get academic credit for that month - i.e. will have a Memorandum of Understanding between that MEDCEN and my school.

I am just worried - I have rotations at other MEDCENs but wanted to switch locations. Because of this, I haven't formally requested orders and need to do this by the end of the month...
What if you've already requested orders? Is it hard to switch ADT sites?

GLAMQUEEN-

I'm a second year HPSP in the Air Force, and the AF makes it clear you cannot do rotations at any other hospitals than their 8 training hospitals. You have a better chance of getting a residency at a hospital you have done a rotation at. I dont know how there are AF residents at Portsmouth (according to NavyFP), but I haven't seen a single AF person match to anything other than the 8 AF training hospitals unless they deferred civilan. Log on to the AFIT site to view all the information about rotations. There is also a link there where you can look at the results for the military match.

DrSwim - according to the 2008 GME excel chart released, two AF matched into Portsmouth for OB/GYN.

Thanks for the info on AFIT for rotations. I just started working with them post-commissioning, so I"ll definitely be asking them questions.

As a Navy HPSP, can you do an ADT at Army/AF hospital? Any one know? Thanks!

As a Navy HPSP, can you do an ADT at Army/AF hospital? Any one know? Thanks!

Yes, but why would you want to. It is unlikely that you would be doing your internship at one of those hospitals. You should save your face time for places that matter.

Thanks NavyFP. Just want to know as an option :)

I'm interested in IM and would like to rotate at all 3 places that offer IM residency (Bethesda, San Diego, and Portsmouth.) However, I only have two ADT and can't decide where should I do it as ADT or where as NADT. Any advice would be appreciated. Also, should I do IM clerkship/subI for all 3 places or should I do some subspecialty to stand out?

Thanks NavyFP. Just want to know as an option :)

I'm interested in IM and would like to rotate at all 3 places that offer IM residency (Bethesda, San Diego, and Portsmouth.) However, I only have two ADT and can't decide where should I do it as ADT or where as NADT. Any advice would be appreciated. Also, should I do IM clerkship/subI for all 3 places or should I do some subspecialty to stand out?

Do one at SD and the other on the east coast. NNMC and Port are close enough together you can drive between the two. I don't know that you need to rotate at all three, but you should interview at all three. It is likely (based on recent history) that you will match at one of your top two.

Do one at SD and the other on the east coast. NNMC and Port are close enough together you can drive between the two. I don't know that you need to rotate at all three, but you should interview at all three. It is likely (based on recent history) that you will match at one of your top two.
NNMC and NMCP are about three hours' drive apart. Definitely doable in a day, or at most one night if you're paranoid about arriving on time. (Which might not be a bad idea, depending on what time of year you go)

wish i'd known about this forum a long time ago....
could anyone comment on any of the ortho programs at the Army hospitals?

I rotated at 2 Army hopitals for ortho, Madigan AMC and Tripler AMC. My experience at Madigan was much better. Very supportive atmosphere to education and well run program. Tripler was not bad, but not as supportive. The residents play a big role in selection and have clicks, so it doesn't work to get in good with all of them.

Anyone willing to share info on Army Neurology programs?
thanks

I have received a HPSP for NAVY OPTOMETRY ...there is no forum for Military Optometry. My question is for any of the Docs who have had contact with Military Optometrist and could give me some info about what to expect concerning orders after graduation and ODS training , is it similar to what I've been reading here? I realize Optometry and MD are whole different worlds apart. But I would like to know what might be common as far as Navy/Military life as I don't have a specific forum for Military Optometry to pick up some insights, I would greatly appreciate any info, thanks and sorry for intruding. :confused:

Last edited:
Anyone have any info on the family med rotation and/or residency at David Grant (Travis AFB) and DeWitt Community Hospital (Ft. Belvoir, VA)? Any info would be appreciated!

Does anyone have any insight or information on the aforementioned EM rotations?

i.e. attendings, residents, lodging, dress, hours, daily activities, pt volume, etc...

thanks for your help

Anyone have any info on the family med rotation and/or residency at David Grant (Travis AFB) and DeWitt Community Hospital (Ft. Belvoir, VA)? Any info would be appreciated!

I have heard good things about Belvoir, especially since the Sports Med fellowship has a home base there. A fellow student rotated through and said she loved it, although it historically has an older patient base than somewhere else, say Tripler.

Anyone have any information regarding psych at TAMC as far as the actual experience and competitiveness of the program? I am doing my fourth-year ADT there next month on the C/L service. I am also applying there, so what should I expect? With whom will I interview?

Hi, I'm planning on applying to USU or for HPSP.
I have Japanese background and would like to serve in Japan.
Can someone tell me what branch has the most bases in Japan? How likely is it for me to get stationed in one upon request? Does it matter what your specialty is? Thanks!

Can someone tell me what branch has the most bases in Japan? How likely is it for me to get stationed in one upon request? Does it matter what your specialty is? Thanks!

Mostly Navy (home of 7th fleet and Yokosuka Naval Hospital), some AF. No subspecialty care from the Navy side. Can't speak for the AF.

http://www.med.navy.mil/sites/nhyoko/Pages/default.aspx
(Yokosuka NH. Scroll down for specialties available)

http://www.med.navy.mil/sites/nhoki/Patients/SpecialtyClinics/Pages/default.aspx
(Okinawa NH. Specialty page)

http://www.kadena.af.mil/library/factsheets/factsheet_print.asp?fsID=7295&page=1
("Fact sheet" on Kadena's 18th MDG. Interstingly the NICU at ONH is staffed by neos from Kadena)

Misawa has the 35th Med Grp (scant online info)

http://www.yokota.af.mil/library/factsheets/factsheet.asp?id=6821
(Yakota's 374TH MDG fact sheet)

Bunch of Navy and AF branch medical clinics. At least in the AF, getting Japan as an assignment is generally pretty easy (a few years ago either the SG or the consultant for peds had a power point with Altus (OK), Cannon (NM), and the Japan sites as we-need-people-to-volunteer-or-we'll-have-to- volun-tell-a-few-of-you places. But these are mostly going to be smaller commands (read around to see what people think of them). However, overseas assignments generally have a better reputation in the AF (by rumor alone-not experience).

Thanks a lot Gastrapathy and J-Rad. :)

Anyone have experience at Okinawa Naval Hospital psych?

Does anyone have any info on SAMMC surgery rotation program. I'm going to be a 3rd year next year and I was looking into doing my surgery rotation there. Any help would be great. Thanks!

Hey Everyone,
I was wondering what the call schedules are like for Internal Medicine at the Army's big 3: Madigan, Bamc, and Walter Reed.
Thanks!

I'm interested in Gen. Surgery. Can anyone tell me about the Walter Reed Gen. Surgery rotation? Thanks :)

I was curious as to what people thought of the Internal Medicine program at Biloxi and San Antonio.

I am debating between the two and was wanting to hear from people who rotated or done their residency at these two.

Hi all!

Anyone have any info on the Radiology Rotations at Walter Reed, Tripler, BAMC & Madigan (daily schedule, expectations, city, etc)??

Thanks much!

I'm a civilian resident planning on joining up AMEDD after graduating. Any ideas on how I can arrange an away rotation in the meantime? I'm partcicularly interested in Ft Irwin since it close by and plus I'd like to get some desert combat medicine exposure. I'm thinking I either need to contact the site directors or speak with someone at USUHS or whatever military residency program farms them out to those site(s).

I am a Navy HPSP PA student in clinical rotation graduating this year and am trying to decide on ranking duty preference (San Diego vs. Bethesda vs. Portsmouth). Since PAs don't match for residency slots, does anyone know who to talk to about what PAs are doing at any of these three locations?
Perhaps you know someone I can contact regarding "positions available" (specialties) for PAs at any or all of these locations?
Any info/advice is appreciated.