Military Pharmacy and Combat

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sir Rx 23

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys! I posted this question on one of the pharmacy boards and didn't get much of an answer. While I am not aspiring to become an MD or DO (I am new to SDN so I hope it is ok), i figured some of you might be able to give some insight. (Also, please forgive me if these questions have been asked before. If they have, please send me the link(s). I also have been told this would be a question for a recruiter, but I am a little tied up to talk to one for the time being.)

So, in short, my question is can a military pharmacist (of any branch) participate in any type of combat? For example, I have heard that some Sailors aboard ships can join VBSS. I have also heard of some MD's/DO's working in the field with Soldiers and/or going through airbourne or dive training.

Would anything like this be open to a pharmacist?

Personal experience is appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi guys! I posted this question on one of the pharmacy boards and didn't get much of an answer. While I am not aspiring to become an MD or DO (I am new to SDN so I hope it is ok), i figured some of you might be able to give some insight. (Also, please forgive me if these questions have been asked before. If they have, please send me the link(s). I also have been told this would be a question for a recruiter, but I am a little tied up to talk to one for the time being.)

So, in short, my question is can a military pharmacist (of any branch) participate in any type of combat? For example, I have heard that some Sailors aboard ships can join VBSS. I have also heard of some MD's/DO's working in the field with Soldiers and/or going through airbourne or dive training.

Would anything like this be open to a pharmacist?

Personal experience is appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

I'll just tell you that VBSS is mostly for Marines and enlisted Sailors. Most VBSS teams are on small buoys, and while there are boarding officers, you will not find a pharmacist on a small buoy.

Additionally, on deployment the VBSS team is required to be on call 24/7 and able to respond to VBSS condition 1 at any time. That precludes certain rates and officers from joining.

I'll let others comment on the rest of your question, but I'm guessing the answer is going to be a no with maybe a few anecdotal exceptions.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
What would a pharmacist do in combat? Even physicians are not (except in very rare circumstance) out with infantry types. That's what combat medics are for.

Reactions: 1 users
What would a pharmacist do in combat? Even physicians are not (except in very rare circumstance) out with infantry types. That's what combat medics are for.
That was kind of my question. I guess where I am coming from is that I have always wanted to be in the military or law enforcement with that type of job, however I also want to be a pharmacist and have already started down that road with a decent scholarship. I was just wondering if there was a way to do both. Which is why I mentioned VBSS (open to any sailor aboard a ship with a team) and the docs on DMO tour's (Which from what I understand do not see combat but would still be a neat and different job with at least a "paramilitary feel").

Last edited:
Join reserves as an infantry officer.
Well, this is one of those "could've had a V8" moments. I never thought of that but it would allow me to do both like I want. If I was to do this, would I still "get credit" for a Pharm. D and go in as a O-3 even though I am not signing on as a pharmacist or would I start as an O-1? Also, do you know if the Marines offer something like this or would you fall under the Navy Reserves?
Finally, do they still offer loan repayment in the reserves and if you do not sign up for a job relevant to your degree?

Last edited:
No.

This isn't summer camp. You could always enlist.
Never thought of it as summer camp. I'm looking at it as a career, I'm just exploring all options and seeing if it is something I am willing to sign a contract to do.

When you become a pharmacist, you have an entirely different fight. You combat grandmas insisting that they have a refill on their Lortab, and you combat physicians trying to poison their patients.

Reactions: 2 users
When you become a pharmacist, you have an entirely different fight. You combat grandmas insisting that they have a refill on their Lortab, and you combat physicians trying to poison their patients.
Good one! I thought something like this was coming when the right person read "pharmacy" and "combat". Lol.

Reactions: 1 user
Well, this is one of those "could've had a V8" moments. I never thought of that but it would allow me to do both like I want. If I was to do this, would I still "get credit" for a Pharm. D and go in as a O-3 even though I am not signing on as a pharmacist or would I start as an O-1? Also, do you know if the Marines offer something like this or would you fall under the Navy Reserves?
Finally, do they still offer loan repayment in the reserves and if you do not sign up for a job relevant to your degree?

If, in the view of the DoD, you commission as a line officer in the reserves with a side (civilian) job as a pharmacist, I imagine you'd commission as an O-1. You'd PharmD would not be applicable to your job as a line officer, so you wouldn't get Constructive Service Credit.

Last edited:
If, in the view of the DoD, you commission as a line officer in the reserves with a side job as a pharmacist, I imagine you'd commission as an O-1. You'd PharmD would not be applicable to your job as a line officer, so you wouldn't get Constructive Service Credit.
Thanks! So does that mean I also would not qualify for student loan repayment?

Thanks! So does that mean I also would not qualify for student loan repayment?

For the Army, you can check out the benefits library:

College Loan Repayment Program (LRP)

Click on Reserves, Drilling. Quickly, you need to have it in your contract, decline the GI Bill, sign up for 6 years, and hold an MOS that is deemed critical by the Army (the list changes, but I imagine infantry is on there).

For the Navy, only enlisted active duty Sailors signing up with certain contracts are eligible for the LRP. Right now, the only Sailors eligible for loan repayment are musicians. Go figure.