Might have to reapply due to bad personal statement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hungrybox

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I had pretty good stats, but there were a couple things wrong with my app. The major things were bad essays (esp. personal statement) and probably not enough clinical hours.

How would medical schools look at this? Esp. ones I've already applied to. My personal statement was pretty immature. Nothing outright offensive IMO (like racism or sexism or whatever), but I just tried to make a couple of jokes that probably were just kind of immature. I also probably didn't really convey a passion for medicine.

If I rewrote a better personal statement, do you think I would still have a chance at some of the schools I applied to already? Or would I be throwing my money away?

Members don't see this ad.

Widely used software allows us to easily review previous applications.
So I would be throwing my money away?

I mean, best case scenario - you read the new essay and think it's amazing. Then you look at my old app and see the crappy old PS. What would you think?

Members don't see this ad :)
So I would be throwing my money away?
You have to expect that the old application will still be reviewed.
If it was the deal-breaker this year, it would still have an effect in subsequent cycles.
Surely there are several schools where you would be a first time applicant. This is usually the more fertile field for all re-applicants (with the exception of some state schools).

Reactions: 1 users
You have to expect that the old application will still be reviewed.
If it was the deal-breaker this year, it would still have an effect in subsequent cycles.
Surely there are several schools where you would be a first time applicant. This is usually the more fertile field for all re-applicants (with the exception of some state schools).
Makes sense. Thanks!

Reactions: 1 user
I agree that your previous applications would still have an effect on your application, as it makes sense for adcoms to review your past application and understand why you weren't favorably reviewed before.

but I don't think that being a reapplicant is always detrimental, especially if you can explain the progression of your maturity. we're all young (and somewhat naive) at one point, and everyone has the potential to change. it's just a matter of presenting who you are now that's perhaps more mature than who you were before in a way that's genuine and understandable.

if you couple that with additional experiences that reinforce your commitment to medicine, it'd be even better.

Hey I feel you dude. I think my letters and PS definitely held me back during my application cycle. That being said, I did manage to get one acceptance, but part of me almost wishes that I didn't get it, as it is not a school I am very interested in attending. However, I've been reading that I have no choice now because med schools will see that I turned down an acceptance and not give me another shot. So if you fix your PS, you may get into a great school that you enjoy. Not the end of the world to spend another year reapplying.