Midwestern University DVM 2021

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I just declined my seat today I hope they offer it to one of yall!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 5 users
Does anyone know the situation for on-campus housing?
I put in an application a couple weeks ago (for every studio and 2/2 apartment) and was immediately put on the waitlist.

I'm looking for different options of course, but I really don't want to forfeit my $300 because they offer something late July or early August when I've already arranged other plans...but also the on-campus options are literally right there and significantly cheaper than the off-campus options across the street...

I was able to get a 2 bedroom pet friendly apartment by some miracle so it is possible, but I did apply earlier, I think early March. I had waited a bit and then emailed the housing guy and he placed me right away so shoot him an email and he gets back to you pretty quickly and then you'll know!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Where did you decide to go? Thanks for opening up a seat!!
LMU! My other half and I both applied to 8 vet schools together, and our chances of getting a yes from the same school were, of course, slim considering the small class sizes, but LMU ended up offering both of us a seat after the deadline :).

Reactions: 6 users
LMU! My other half and I both applied to 8 vet schools together, and our chances of getting a yes from the same school were, of course, slim considering the small class sizes, but LMU ended up offering both of us a seat after the deadline :).
Though I will say we were really hoping for Midwestern, however, it'll be awesome up there as well. We already found the perfect house to rent that allows all our animals and the owners are really nice. It's really rough trying to find a place that will take pets.

Reactions: 1 users
kADBVl4.jpg
30fq76.jpg

A couple of memes to lighten the mood.

Reactions: 5 users
Does it make anyone else sad that VMCAS is open again and we are still sitting on the wait list? Lol because it makes me sad! :dead::dead:

Members don't see this ad :)
Does it make anyone else sad that VMCAS is open again and we are still sitting on the wait list? Lol because it makes me sad! :dead::dead:

I was just thinking this today, so depressing.

Very! I reopened my application yesterday:(
Mine is almost finished for the second time haha I'm just waiting on my LOR's and trying to fine tune my statements.

Hi all! Congrats on your acceptance to MWU! My name is Emily and I'm the president of the class of 2020. I noticed a few of you have requested to join the class of 2020 Facebook page! I'm sure many of you have questions about the school and what happens next so later today I will make a Facebook page for the class of 2021 and will post the the link here. There's also a Facebook page for the college of veterinary medicine and a general Midwestern university Page. I will provide all of those links for you later today! Congratulations again! This is a great school and we look forward to meeting you all during orientation!
Hello Emily, I am starting at MWU this August as a potential DVM and have been assigned an on-campus one-bedroom apartment. Can you please tell me anything about Bldg. C. I know it is 'pet friendly', but is it old, new, falling apart, good condition, etc. Any info would be appreciated. I know they are re-modeling some of the buildings. Thanks.

Guys I'm kind of loosing hope. I mean it seems like there is very little to no movement on the waitlist, and I've put money down at LMU and I need to start planning at this point. What should I do?

Guys I'm kind of loosing hope. I mean it seems like there is very little to no movement on the waitlist, and I've put money down at LMU and I need to start planning at this point. What should I do?
For you, what is the absolute last day you are willing to wait until? Maybe pick a day you are comfortable with and go from there?

I know things are moving slower than you would like them to. They may be moving slower or people are giving their responses slower this year? There hasn't really been much movement on the Fb group since the last time we talked either so if they are getting accepted they sure aren't joining the group lol :)

For you, what is the absolute last day you are willing to wait until? Maybe pick a day you are comfortable with and go from there?

I know things are moving slower than you would like them to. They may be moving slower or people are giving their responses slower this year? There hasn't really been much movement on the Fb group since the last time we talked either so if they are getting accepted they sure aren't joining the group lol :)

I was going to wait until May 31st, but I'm getting antsy. Plus I need to let work know when I need to take off to look for housing and I don't want to ask last minute. So I kinda feel stuck?

I was going to wait until May 31st, but I'm getting antsy. Plus I need to let work know when I need to take off to look for housing and I don't want to ask last minute. So I kinda feel stuck?
I totally understand...don't let your paranoia and worry set in just yet though! I kept saying the same things you are and then they randomly called me when I least expected it!

Give it until the 31st. Go ahead and plan your time off (to use for housing for either school) so you can calm your nerves a little bit. You won't be able to buy a ticket until after the 31st so just plan that in your head. I know you are done with school so time is flying by, you're bored, and brain is saying "It's time to figure things out". You will still have plenty of time though if you wait until the end of the month :)

Reactions: 2 users
We are already in June, time is going too fast! Has anyone heard back yet??

I have heard NOTHING. Haha I have 2/4 LOR's in already so I've pretty much moved on at this point.

I have heard NOTHING. Haha I have 2/4 LOR's in already so I've pretty much moved on at this point.

There are still only 109 members on Fb and 40 of them are 2019/2020 students. Have you talked to them lately to see if the class is full?

There are still only 109 members on Fb and 40 of them are 2019/2020 students. Have you talked to them lately to see if the class is full?
I have not! I've been working so much lately that by the time I have a minute to even think about calling they're typically closed haha

I have not! I've been working so much lately that by the time I have a minute to even think about calling they're typically closed haha
Definitely understandable! If nothing else, maybe send an email to check in. They usually respond back the same day :)

I'm the same way, I have to sneak in calls during my lunch or else everything is closed by the time I'm off work. I'm going to retake my GRE in hopes of a better score.

Update: class is not full I just got an acceptance call. I will probably be declining :( too much $$

Reactions: 3 users
Update: class is not full I just got an acceptance call. I will probably be declining :( too much $$
Thank you for the update. I called admissions earlier and they told me 114 students have put a deposit and there are 93 on the alternate list.

How long did they give you to accept?

Thank you for the update. I called admissions earlier and they told me 114 students have put a deposit and there are 93 on the alternate list.
I think they over estimate? When they called me they had 109 with deposits and 106 on the alternate list. I wonder if they are accepting a larger class this year?

They didn't give me a timeframe, they left a message asking me to call back as soon as possible.
They gave me a week to pay my deposit once I return their call. I don't think your portal tells you how long you have until you call back and tell them you want to accept. Have you decided for sure or still weighing your options?

They gave me a week to pay my deposit once I return their call. I don't think your portal tells you how long you have until you call back and tell them you want to accept. Have you decided for sure or still weighing your options?

I ended up deciding to decline and stick with where I had put my deposit already. I think I'll be somewhat sad about that for a while, but it just didn't make sense for me to go to MWU right now.

Reactions: 2 users
Is anyone still looking for a roommate? I was looking at some houses that are three bedroom but have nobody to fill them.

Has anyone heard back??
Seems like there has been little to no movement on the alternate list

Has anyone heard back??
Seems like there has been little to no movement on the alternate list
I've heard absolutely nothing. I'm working nearly 50 hours a week so I don't have time during the week to even call! Haha I'm getting a lot of experience for this cycle I suppose :hilarious:

I eventually just gave up because I was accepted to LMU and didn't want to wait to long to get everything settled for them. One less person on the alternate list with you guys! So good luck everyone still waiting, and if nothing happens this summer, good luck for the next one!

I eventually just gave up because I was accepted to LMU and didn't want to wait to long to get everything settled for them. One less person on the alternate list with you guys! So good luck everyone still waiting, and if nothing happens this summer, good luck for the next one!
Good luck to you at LMU!!

I just got an email that I was accepted but I will be declining my seat, just so everyone knows this list is still moving! I long ago accepted my seat at CSU. Good luck to everyone!

Reactions: 4 users
I just got an email that I was accepted but I will be declining my seat, just so everyone knows this list is still moving! I long ago accepted my seat at CSU. Good luck to everyone!
Good luck to you at CSU! @LexieLove & @Kitara that means there is still hope!! :)

Hey Guys!
I am unfortunately still on the alternate list for c/o 2021 but i very seriously doubt they are taking anyone else at this point! I am retaking the GRE on the 9th of August and working on my application for this cycle. I hope everyone is doing well!

Reactions: 3 users
A LOT. There are opportunities for you to complete cat neuters your first year, and you can volunteer with the mobile clinic any time! We haven't even started school yet and I've already given a ton of vaccines, microchips, and physical exams on cats and dogs with the mobile clinic (after the doctor taught me of course)! We also start surgery our second year and can go on public outreach trips to do surgeries for local Native American communities (the second years last year went on one and one of my friends got to do 15 surgeries in 5 days, as a second year). We also have a class each quarter called "practice of veterinary medicine" - PVM for short. We will be putting our hands on animals during this class, learning practical skills, physical exams, etc. as soon as our first week. Not only that, but I just partook in a pathology lecture thing where we got to put our hands on the organs of certain medical cases, and talk through how the pathologist diagnoses what happened. There is a TON of hands on experience at Midwestern.

Accredidation: as far as the AVMA is concerned, we are as fully accredited as possible as of now. You can't be completely accredited until the first class graduates, and that won't be for 2 more years. We've gotten reasonably assured by the AVMA that accreditation will be granted, as long as things stay awesome. It doesn't really matter on a personal level though, we will still be veterinarians upon graduation just like everyone else... The students aren't affected by this, but the university is.

I LOVE my school so much already, and if you have any more questions please feel free to PM me!

Hi I’m very late to seeing this but I was wondering if you had any advice or remember what they asked you in their interview at midwestern?

I cannot find any external (to VMCAS) supplemental form to fill out or place to pay an application fee. Can anyone confirm that this is true and to apply I need only to submit stuff (including $) thru VMCAS?