Midwestern University DVM 2021

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So, I have yet to pay my Tufts deposit but haven't said no to MWU either and that deadline is approaching much too quickly... Anyone have any advice for how they made their decision? I'm in LOVE with AZ and MWU's program, but I think Tufts will turn out to be a little bit cheaper depending on the financial aid package I get this week. I would be happier at MWU but I continuously hear that it's best to choose the cheapest school option, and obviously Tufts is also an incredible, highly respected program. My heart reeeally says MWU but my head says Tufts... :help::confused:

Members don't see this ad.

So, I have yet to pay my Tufts deposit but haven't said no to MWU either and that deadline is approaching much too quickly... Anyone have any advice for how they made their decision? I'm in LOVE with AZ and MWU's program, but I think Tufts will turn out to be a little bit cheaper depending on the financial aid package I get this week. I would be happier at MWU but I continuously hear that it's best to choose the cheapest school option, and obviously Tufts is also an incredible, highly respected program. My heart reeeally says MWU but my head says Tufts... :help::confused:
What would be the difference in cost to attend Tufts vs MWU?

Reactions: 1 user
It was such a tough decision! I ultimately chose a different school because of my interest in wildlife and large animal (I know those aren't related at all lol) At UofI there are just more opportunities in those fields to capatalize on. I know they're available at MWU too just harder to come by! If I knew for sure what I wanted to go into and cost wasn't that big of a difference, I would have FOR SURE gone to MWU!

Thank you for the input!! I'm interested in mixed animal so basically it's hard to decide which would be better. Ultimately moving to AZ would be better for large animal than MA (I'm from MA and it's definitely not the place for it) but they're kinda tied IMO for small and large!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
What would be the difference in cost to attend Tufts vs MWU?

It's hard to tell without knowing how much $ tufts may offer but if the "thrifty" budget for MWU is accurate, maybe 2-3k per year at most? Also the cost of moving is something to consider. But cost of living is much lower in AZ than MA!

Hi everyone! You've all been awesome with advice so far, so I was hoping for some input on a dilemma I'm having. I currently have a cat and I'm fostering an awesome, one year old, 28 pound hound mix. I was considering adopting her, but I'm hesitant because of the big move to AZ and the time commitment of vet school. Anyone planning on bringing their dog to school or have any opinions on this??

I'm bringing 3 dogs, 2 cats, a parrot and a tortoise. Oh and a husband too! Just depends on what you can handle. I've had them all for years so I'm pretty used to the madness. I've heard several students recommend bringing them saying "they will be the only thing that keeps you sane" lol. Also, if you get home sick easily, it might make things easier having them there as they are a part of home for you. But at the same time, it also means you have to get home to let them out, feed them, etc potentially taking away from study/experience time.... Can someone else adopt it or would it just end up back at a shelter?

Reactions: 1 users
It was a very, very tough decision, but I officially declined my offer today. Best of luck to everyone still wait-listed! ;)

Reactions: 7 users
It was a very, very tough decision, but I officially declined my offer today. Best of luck to everyone still wait-listed! ;)
Thank you for opening up a seat and best of luck to you at Michigan State :)

Reactions: 3 users
I'm bringing 3 dogs, 2 cats, a parrot and a tortoise. Oh and a husband too! Just depends on what you can handle. I've had them all for years so I'm pretty used to the madness. I've heard several students recommend bringing them saying "they will be the only thing that keeps you sane" lol. Also, if you get home sick easily, it might make things easier having them there as they are a part of home for you. But at the same time, it also means you have to get home to let them out, feed them, etc potentially taking away from study/experience time.... Can someone else adopt it or would it just end up back at a shelter?
Sorry I haven't been on SDN in a while! Soooooo, I ended up adopting her lol. There were no inquiries and she fit in with my lifestyle so well. I think she'll be a nice companion when I go out to AZ alone. Thank you for the advice :)

Reactions: 4 users
Hey everyone! I'm a Midwestern hopeful (currently on the waitlist) and SDN neo-shadow lurker who has come out to see what the posting water is like :whoa: . I am trying to get an idea of possible "restricted breeds" housing options near campus, since I can imagine the pet-friendly building on campus fills up fast. Is anyone familiar with apartments or management companies that actually accepts them ?Also, any current students who have or know someone who has a "restricted breed" (ie. Doberman, Pit bull, Rottweiler, etc.) that had to think outside of the box to find an appropriate living situation would be helpful as well.

Hey everyone! I'm a Midwestern hopeful (currently on the waitlist) and SDN neo-shadow lurker who has come out to see what the posting water is like :whoa: . I am trying to get an idea of possible "restricted breeds" housing options near campus, since I can imagine the pet-friendly building on campus fills up fast. Is anyone familiar with apartments or management companies that actually accepts them ?Also, any current students who have or know someone who has a "restricted breed" (ie. Doberman, Pit bull, Rottweiler, etc.) that had to think outside of the box to find an appropriate living situation would be helpful as well.

I would recommend checking out the Midwestern CVM Facebook page or the main Midwestern Glendale page. There are a ton of students with "restricted breeds" and have found places to live. I personally started school with two boxers and rented a house, and from what I remember they did not mention anything about breeds, so if you are having trouble finding an apartment, maybe consider renting a house?

I would recommend checking out the Midwestern CVM Facebook page or the main Midwestern Glendale page. There are a ton of students with "restricted breeds" and have found places to live. I personally started school with two boxers and rented a house, and from what I remember they did not mention anything about breeds, so if you are having trouble finding an apartment, maybe consider renting a house?

Thank you for the advice! I will check out those pages.

Sooooo, any news anyone? I'm curious how many people have fully committed to MWU, and how many people have just paid the deposit while they hold out for another school.

Needless to say I'm dying over here for a spot, I'm going to have to put money down at LMU on Monday and it would be nice to have a little hope that Midwestern has a spot for me.

I need some advice. I am currently waitlisted for an interview at midwestern and praying that I get in, but I'm trying to figure out plans B and C in the meantime. I applied to 8 schools total and MWU is the only one that had any interest. From my application reviews most schools said to increase my GRE (currently taking a kaplan course to do so), retake some courses, and demonstrate that I can tolerate a heavy course load. I graduated from undergrad from May 2016 and have been working as a vet tech in the mean time. I'm thinking of skipping the 2017-18 application cycle to focus on my GRE, retake some undergrad courses, enter a 1 year masters in medical science program and hopefully do some travel and then applying 2018-19. Originally I was going to try to fit it in so I can apply this fall but I'm concerned about lack of time to research options if vet school doesn't work out etc. Has anyone been in a similiar situation/ have any advice to offer? I'm lucky enough to not to worry about financing my education, however I don't have too many people I can turn to who know what the vet school process is like. I'm also concerned at the prospect of not starting my career until I'm 30. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks in advance!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Sooooo, any news anyone? I'm curious how many people have fully committed to MWU, and how many people have just paid the deposit while they hold out for another school.

Needless to say I'm dying over here for a spot, I'm going to have to put money down at LMU on Monday and it would be nice to have a little hope that Midwestern has a spot for me.
If you are on the alternate list you could be waiting all the way up until august when school starts to be pulled off the list. If you were accepted somewhere else I would put down your deposit unless you want to take a chance. Worst case you could look into transferring if you don't like LMU. I was on the alternate last year received a call the week before school started that I was next to be accepted if anyone withdrew or didn't show up to orientation well needless to say everyone showed up and now I'm on the interview waitlist. The hardest part is getting accepted somewhere and if you already have that I would say go with it.

Reactions: 2 users
If you are on the alternate list you could be waiting all the way up until august when school starts to be pulled off the list. If you were accepted somewhere else I would put down your deposit unless you want to take a chance. Worst case you could look into transferring if you don't like LMU. I was on the alternate last year received a call the week before school started that I was next to be accepted if anyone withdrew or didn't show up to orientation well needless to say everyone showed up and now I'm on the interview waitlist. The hardest part is getting accepted somewhere and if you already have that I would say go with it.

out of curiosity did you have to reapply or did they automatically put you on the waitlist for the following year b/c of their rolling admission?

You and me both! The deadline is FAST approaching and I'm ready to start hearing from them! Haha until then, I'm obsessively checking everything. Fingers crossed for all of us! :xf::xf:

So I spoke with admissions about a week and a half ago. They told me that anyone that is on the waitlist for interview will not be called because they have reached they end of cycle. They will only be calling people who have interviewed for spots that are given up after the 15th. They told me I need to reapply for next year.

So I spoke with admissions about a week and a half ago. They told me that anyone that is on the waitlist for interview will not be called because they have reached they end of cycle. They will only be calling people who have interviewed for spots that are given up after the 15th. They told me I need to reapply for next year.

Well that news stinks

out of curiosity did you have to reapply or did they automatically put you on the waitlist for the following year b/c of their rolling admission?

So I am somewhat in the same boat. I took a year off after only interviewing at LMU and Midwestern but not getting accepted. I reapplied this year and did not even get an interview sadly.
I am looking into different masters programs now. Which med-science programs have you found?

Admissions said they would be starting to call off students off the alternate list starting today so hopefully we start hearing from them soon!!

Admissions said they would be starting to call off students off the alternate list starting today so hopefully we start hearing from them soon!!
Thanks for the heads up! It would be awesome if they do! :)

Oh goodness, what time today?! 5PM their time, 5 PM my time.!?!?1

I AM AN ACTUAL MESS

I AM AN ACTUAL MESS
They didn't say an actual time just that from today on they will call from the alternate list if spots are available

They didn't say an actual time just that from today on they will call from the alternate list if spots are available

I figured, Im just so anxious about the whole thing. Thanks for getting the info!

I AM AN ACTUAL MESS
I FEEL YOU. I'm at work FREAKING OUT hahahaha I'm so ready for us all to get calls!!

Hey guys. Just wanted to pop in to give some encouragement -- remember, even if you do not get the call today, hope is not lost. I am a waitlist survivor myself (I didn't get the call until June 28th!)

I know it is hard to not be stressed and anxious, but just know at the end of the day if the phone doesn't ring there is still a chance you could get it later on.

Best of luck! <3

Reactions: 5 users
Hey guys. Just wanted to pop in to give some encouragement -- remember, even if you do not get the call today, hope is not lost. I am a waitlist survivor myself (I didn't get the call until June 28th!)

I know it is hard to not be stressed and anxious, but just know at the end of the day if the phone doesn't ring there is still a chance you could get it later on.

Best of luck! <3

You are the calm in this tumultuous storm! Thank you!

Best of luck! <3

How did you deal with being accepted so late and have to rush to find housing, get all your medical stuff in order, financial things etc? My worry is I wont have enough time to get everything settled even if I am offered a position late.

Hey everyone! I'm new to this forum but officially accepted an offer to MWU. I started looking up places to live (I'll be moving from Florida) and was looking at houses for rent since I'll be bringing 2 dogs and a boyfriend. Was wondering if there are cheap but good areas around the school or any good websites I should check out. I'd really appreciate it!

Also, I hope everyone that's waiting gets accepted! If not there's always next year. I fell in love with MWU's program so I hope I made the right decision by choosing them!!

Anyone else accepted, do you know when they'll be sending info regarding curriculum, medical stuff or financial aid info or do we just go about all of that ourselves?

Thanks for any advice!! :)

How did you deal with being accepted so late and have to rush to find housing, get all your medical stuff in order, financial things etc? My worry is I wont have enough time to get everything settled even if I am offered a position late.

I had to rush to get things ready, admittedly, but it IS possible to do. It may be easier if you are moving from closer by. My big complication was a lot of my stuff was in central Massachusetts, so organizing a move was a little stressful.

I was very lucky in that I had someone who was able to scout out apartments for me while I continued to work as a zookeeper that summer. There are really a TON of apartment complexes in the area, many of which allow pets, so I didn't really have any difficulty finding one that suited my needs. The school provides some kind of medical insurance, but I do not know much about it since I have my own policy I had previously. If you do get the call, I'd suggest joining the MWU ℅ 2021 page on Facebook and/or the general MWU CVM page as you can also ask for advice there.

Sorry I can't help much on that end, but it IS possible to get it all together. I think someone in our class got the call in August, so they had even less time to sort things than I did. :)

Hey everyone! I'm new to this forum but officially accepted an offer to MWU. I started looking up places to live (I'll be moving from Florida) and was looking at houses for rent since I'll be bringing 2 dogs and a boyfriend. Was wondering if there are cheap but good areas around the school or any good websites I should check out. I'd really appreciate it!

Also, I hope everyone that's waiting gets accepted! If not there's always next year. I fell in love with MWU's program so I hope I made the right decision by choosing them!!

Anyone else accepted, do you know when they'll be sending info regarding curriculum, medical stuff or financial aid info or do we just go about all of that ourselves?

Thanks for any advice!! :)
Yay! I can't wait to meet everyone in the fall:) I'm not sure if they will be sending any information about the curriculum and stuff like that, but I do know that on the MWU portal there's a button for financial services that has all the steps you'll need for that and then the student services button has the required forms/records that we have to turn in!

Has anyone on the alternate list heard anything?

I had to rush to get things ready, admittedly, but it IS possible to do. It may be easier if you are moving from closer by. My big complication was a lot of my stuff was in central Massachusetts, so organizing a move was a little stressful.

Do you have any advice on moving from central MA?? That's where I'm coming from and it's very overwhelming!

Do you have any advice on moving from central MA?? That's where I'm coming from and it's very overwhelming!

Now I am insanely curious about where you went for undergrad!

With moving from across the country I went through a moving company, but it was pricey. My advice there is to either drive and take what you need/want with you in your own vehicle, or fly out and worry about replacing essentials when you get here. This might change of course if you are bringing family with you or are planning on staying in Arizona after... Either way, feel free to PM me if you want to talk more about this.

Personally, I love Arizona and may wind up staying here after I graduate if I can find a job. ;)

Relinquished my seat today. Good luck to all still waiting to hear!

I gave up my seat today so hopefully one of you will get it!

*stalks the 2020 class page for any indication of when we could start hearing...*

*stalks the 2020 class page for any indication of when we could start hearing...*
*has already done that several times...*

I feel like this year is not even close to the last few years where they almost went thru their whole alternate list. :(

*has already done that several times...*

I feel like this year is not even close to the last few years where they almost went thru their whole alternate list. :(
From the stalking I've done no one heard until around the 26th. Has anyone called admissions recently? I'm terrified to do It! Haha

From the stalking I've done no one heard until around the 26th. Has anyone called admissions recently? I'm terrified to do It! Haha
The 26th of April??

The 26th of April??
Yes! But who knows how accurate it is. No one responded, but I'm assuming so far none of us has heard a thing?

The first two to get off the waitlist last year were notified on the 18th, then one on the 21st, then the 26th and it randomly continued. #Stalkerstatus

The first two to get off the waitlist last year were notified on the 18th, then one on the 21st, then the 26th and it randomly continued. #Stalkerstatus
Hahaha! I'm sure we will start hearing soon! It seems like a lot of people are giving up seats! Anyone know the size of the alternate list?? I'm off tomorrow so I may call admissions to dig up any information I can!

Hahaha! I'm sure we will start hearing soon! It seems like a lot of people are giving up seats! Anyone know the size of the alternate list?? I'm off tomorrow so I may call admissions to dig up any information I can!

Yes please do because I'm too afraid to ask haha!

They've had 109 people deposit. Alternates can still be called until the first week of class.