Midwestern University Chicago (CCOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey everyone, I am going to be a M1 this upcoming fall and am looking to rent a house out with an M3. We are looking for 1-2 more roommates to share the space. If you are interested please send me a message!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all,
I was wondering if note packets are given to us in class or if they have to be purchased beforehand?
Also, can any current students please comment on whether we should purchase textbooks now? Would really appreciate your input - thanks!

Note packets are sold in the bookstore as a stack of paper. You can bind them or three ring punch them. They are typically available the day that class starts. If you have an iPad or other tablet you can download the PDF version for free and go paperless. PowerPoints are mostly posted right before class and can be printed or downloaded as a PDF. No need to purchase any books at this point. There are other ways to obtain the textbooks if you want them (physical copy at the library, free on the library website as an electronic version, or torrented PDF), but some people never used a text book.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi All,

I just got a II here, just wondering if anyone had any recommendations for housing close to the school. Also, how did everyone handle their luggage? Any recommendations in Chicago in general also appreciated.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi All,

I just got a II here, just wondering if anyone had any recommendations for housing close to the school. Also, how did everyone handle their luggage? Any recommendations in Chicago in general also appreciated.
Wow! For the 2018 cycle? This is either a very early interview, or a very very late interview. I stayed at the "Hyatt Place Chicago/Lombard/Oak Brook" which is about a 5 minute drive from campus and it was nice. I kept my luggage in my rental car, but the front desk should be able to hold your luggage while you interview even if you've already checked out.

We start in exactly 2 weeks...anyone else kind of freaking out?! :eek:

Reactions: 3 users
Hi all, I can't find the inorganic solvent consent form on my online portal. I found the pregnancy policy, but I am not prompted to sign it. Any help would be much appreciated.
If you sign into your account the informed consent form is now on the opening screen.

Note packets are sold in the bookstore as a stack of paper. You can bind them or three ring punch them. They are typically available the day that class starts. If you have an iPad or other tablet you can download the PDF version for free and go paperless. PowerPoints are mostly posted right before class and can be printed or downloaded as a PDF. No need to purchase any books at this point. There are other ways to obtain the textbooks if you want them (physical copy at the library, free on the library website as an electronic version, or torrented PDF), but some people never used a text book.

Thank you!!

Does anyone know of a recent match list for this school? They very clearly display one for the AZ campus, but I can't find anything for the IL one :(

Those who got waitlisted, what were your stats, and when did you get an interview?

Interviewing at CCOM soon!! Does anyone have any recommendations for preparing for the interview? Or does anyone know the type of questions that might be asked?

Interviewing at CCOM soon!! Does anyone have any recommendations for preparing for the interview? Or does anyone know the type of questions that might be asked?
They just want to know more about you, so be ready to expand on anything you wrote on your CV or secondaries.

Reactions: 1 users
As I am trying to decide where to send in my deposit, I had some questions for current CCOM students. Feel free to write on this thread or PM me.
1) Why did you chose CCOM?
*Specifically, if you were also accepted to DMU, why did you chose CCOM over DMU
2) Is there anything you wish you would have known when making your decision?
3) Pros? Cons?
4) How is the teaching? How much time do you spend in class? Are the lectures recorded? How often do you have exams? How is the grading?
5) Where do you live? About how much do you pay for rent/bills per month?
6) How do you feel about the facilities? Are they top-notch, mediocre, or substandard?
7) How are the clinical rotations / residency match sites?
8) Is there anything else unique about CCOM or worth noting?

As I am trying to decide where to send in my deposit, I had some questions for current CCOM students. Feel free to write on this thread or PM me.
1) Why did you chose CCOM?
*Specifically, if you were also accepted to DMU, why did you chose CCOM over DMU
2) Is there anything you wish you would have known when making your decision?
3) Pros? Cons?
4) How is the teaching? How much time do you spend in class? Are the lectures recorded? How often do you have exams? How is the grading?
5) Where do you live? About how much do you pay for rent/bills per month?
6) How do you feel about the facilities? Are they top-notch, mediocre, or substandard?
7) How are the clinical rotations / residency match sites?
8) Is there anything else unique about CCOM or worth noting?

Hi Rainbows,

First year at CCOM here. I'll take a crack at some of your questions.

1) The biggest draw for me was that the opportunities for rotations are amazing. Tons of choices at great hospitals (something like 66 hospitals in the Chicago area), and tons of support from the school in setting up rotations. I think a large chunk of our tuition ultimately goes to supporting these deals with local hospitals, which is one reason our tuition is high.

2) Nothing comes to mind!

3) Pros are definitely the rotations, faculty, board scores, match rates, and reputation. Hospitals around here seem to love CCOM students. Cons are tuition, tuition, and tuition.

4) The professors are excellent. We do seem to spend a lot of time in class compared to other schools, though. At least compared to some of the allopathic schools I looked at. Our days start at 8 or 9am, and end at 4 or 5pm. A few days each week you'll have several hours off (ex. if you aren't doing dissection), and generally speaking, Fridays are completely off. All lectures are recorded, and technically very few are required, although in some classes you'll miss out on pop quizzes or extra credit points if you don't go. Exams are staggered pretty well but you can expect one almost every week.

5) I live at a place called International Village about 2.5 miles away. It was recommended to me by an alum, but I don't actually know anyone else from the class who lives here. I'm paying about $1250/mo including utilities to live alone in a pretty spacious 1br. Most people live very close to campus, and a lot seem to have roommates. I think my place is about as cheap as it gets if you want to live in a 1br near campus, but with a roommate I think you can get down around $800/person/mo.

6) Facilities are nice enough, but not state-of-the-art, and can feel cramped at times.

7) Top notch.

8) Nothing that hasn't been mentioned in my other answers.

Hey! Just wondering, does anyone know if there is a 2017-2018 page out there? I am an applicant this cycle!

Received a letter from school to submit all docs, dated 6/20: Submitted all info on 6/23.
How come the letter?