Midwestern University Chicago (CCOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just received my financial aid award letter...they gave me $10k too much so I have to decrease my loan amount..BUT I don't know whether to subtract it from the grad PLUS or the direct unsubsidized loan or subtract $5k from both. I know nothing about this!! helppp
Grad plus! Grad plus loans have a higher interest rate!

Members don't see this ad.

Just received my financial aid award letter...they gave me $10k too much so I have to decrease my loan amount..BUT I don't know whether to subtract it from the grad PLUS or the direct unsubsidized loan or subtract $5k from both. I know nothing about this!! helppp

Subtract from the grad PLUS on a balance that is too high, so all 10k. This is what another school instructed me to do

Members don't see this ad :)
What do you guys know about student health insurance? I'm so thoroughly confused and frustrated. I wanted to compare the individual marketplace plans with the Aetna plan that Midwestern offers, but it looks like I can't file for an individual plan based on future unemployment, even though I know I'm leaving my job for school. All of the questions on HealthCare.gov assume that you've already left a job. Because why would you want to encourage being proactive about health insurance, right?!?

Anyway, sorry for the rant. Is the student plan through Aetna a competitive option?

Reactions: 1 user
Follow-up to my own post: I finally got my marketplace offers back after another hour of cursing to myself. At least for my situation, coming from a full time job, the Aetna plan through Midwestern is the way to go.

Are any students living in Apex apartments in Lombard?

I got in a week before orientation, as well as three other of my classmates. Best advise I can give is to keep sending in updates. I personally sent a new update every other week detailing any medical related volunteering or just to let the AC know I was dead set on going to CCOM by talking about how I could see myself there and how I fit in.
Thank you so much for your help!

Advice from @southflorida1107 is great advice.
I got off the waitlist around Memorial Day during my time 2 years ago.
Pretty much, I looked up admissions counselors on the website and chose one of them. Then, I decided to send all my update letters, letter of intent, letter of interest, whatever else you got to this one person. My thought process behind it is that at least one person can attest that I am consistent. I did this every other week also spacing out my stuff so I don't run out of things to update them about.
I was waitlisted around the beginning of April and got accept around May 20th when they started pulling off from the waitlist. Honestly they will keep pulling people off the waitlist until like the week before orientation so if you have not received your rejection letter, it means you are still going so keep fighting!
Thank you so much, this is very helpful

got into one of my top choices today so would like to give up my spot here...does anyone know how to do that? is it thru email or the portal?

accepted off the waitlist!

Also..where are most people living ? I see there is some on-campus housing..is that a popular option or are most people off-campus (if so, where)? Kinda late to the housing game

Reactions: 1 users

Also..where are most people living ? I see there is some on-campus housing..is that a popular option or are most people off-campus (if so, where)? Kinda late to the housing game
Congrats!! I think most people live off-campus. Join the FB group, people are looking for roommates! But some popular apartment complexes I've heard of are Brookhill, The Grove, CityView, and Versailles on the lake.

International Village, Bristol Club, City View, Versailles, and Yorktown are all places that were recommended to me by current and former students. I locked down an apartment at International Village because some of the others seem crazy expensive, and IV seemed like a good balance.

Edit: Oh and congrats!

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats!! I think most people live off-campus. Join the FB group, people are looking for roommates! But some popular apartment complexes I've heard of are Brookhill, The Grove, CityView, and Versailles on the lake.

Thank you!
The FB group is called CCOM Class of 2021, right? I'll checkout the roommate hunt there then.
I requested to join the group but still awaiting someone to accept it haha. Could you or someone else accept people into the group or is it restricted to the admin?

International Village, Bristol Club, City View, Versailles, and Yorktown are all places that were recommended to me by current and former students. I locked down an apartment at International Village because some of the others seem crazy expensive, and IV seemed like a good balance.

Edit: Oh and congrats!

Thanks! And i just checked out a few of those places you listed....definitely on the upper end in terms of price...hm...

Thank you!
The FB group is called CCOM Class of 2021, right? I'll checkout the roommate hunt there then.
I requested to join the group but still awaiting someone to accept it haha. Could you or someone else accept people into the group or is it restricted to the admin?
That's right. Unfortunately it's restricted to the admin otherwise I would! They should add you soon.

Withdrew my spot, even though it was difficult to do! hope it isnt too late to make someone here happy! good luck to all!

Reactions: 5 users
any more movement off the waitlist? every little bit of movement gives me a little more hope!

Reactions: 1 users
any more movement off the waitlist? every little bit of movement gives me a little more hope!

I know of someone who was accepted off the waitlist yesterday. Fingers crossed for you!

Reactions: 2 users
I know of someone who was accepted off the waitlist yesterday. Fingers crossed for you!
That's awesome. I've had sent like 4 letters of doctors I've shadowed recently. And a letter of my own. Hopefully we here soon.

Reactions: 3 users
That's awesome. I've had sent like 4 letters of doctors I've shadowed recently. And a letter of my own. Hopefully we here soon.
Agreed! Its nice to know that a few of us on here are all in the same boat.

Agreed! Its nice to know that a few of us on here are all in the same boat.
I'm right there with you, every day is agony! Good luck to everyone, I hope to see you all in a month, fingers crossed. For those accepted already, orientation is on August 2nd, correct? Still hedging my bets with my other acceptances.

I'm right there with you, every day is agony! Good luck to everyone, I hope to see you all in a month, fingers crossed. For those accepted already, orientation is on August 2nd, correct? Still hedging my bets with my other acceptances.
August 1st :)

any recommendations on how to get off the waitlist? I don't want to send too many updates, but I also want CCOM to know I'm still interested.

I just remember calling them whenever I had an update. I feel like that went a long way because I was actually speaking to people in the admissions office.

Did anyone else notice the major portal update today? So official. One more month

any recommendations on how to get off the waitlist? I don't want to send too many updates, but I also want CCOM to know I'm still interested.
I sent an update every other week. It may be excessive but I think it was a big part of why I got off the wait list. It shows commitment to the school and a real desire to attend.

So just got accepted today! Got until Monday to decided, kinda hard since i already rented a place out somewhere else but I would love to come here obviously. Can anyone help get into contact with current students please?!

So just got accepted today! Got until Monday to decided, kinda hard since i already rented a place out somewhere else but I would love to come here obviously. Can anyone help get into contact with current students please?!

Congrats! Join the fb group, plenty of current students on there. Search "CCOM Class of 2021"

Congrats! Did you send/call with a lot of updates?

Did anyone else notice the major portal update today? So official. One more month
Beautiful! I hadn't logged into the portal in a few weeks but I'm glad I did! That White Coat Order Form makes me so happy :soexcited:

Congrats! I also got off the waitlist this morning!

Reactions: 2 users
For those of you still on the waitlist, are you guys holding a spot at another school? I'm just concerned because it seems like tuition for the school I'm holding at is due July 15? Does that seem a bit premature?

For those of you still on the waitlist, are you guys holding a spot at another school? I'm just concerned because it seems like tuition for the school I'm holding at is due July 15? Does that seem a bit premature?
Technically you have to see when they are disbursed. Usually loans aren't disbursed until after school starts. Which gives you a chance to cancel them should you get in somewhere else. I think there are ways you can also just transfer payment to another school if paying by loans.

for those of you who got off the waitlist, how long did it take to receive a financial aid award letter?

for those of you who got off the waitlist, how long did it take to receive a financial aid award letter?

Not too long. I wanna say I had it within a week or so once my document checklist was complete.

got accepted off the waitlist! :) so excited to meet you all!!

Last edited:
Hi all, I can't find the inorganic solvent consent form on my online portal. I found the pregnancy policy, but I am not prompted to sign it. Any help would be much appreciated.

Hi all, I can't find the inorganic solvent consent form on my online portal. I found the pregnancy policy, but I am not prompted to sign it. Any help would be much appreciated.
I can't find it either, but I vaguely (very vaguely) remember signing something along those lines right after I was accepted. My hope is that it was one of those things that popped up under the accepted to-do list and disappeared after I consented. Either way, the policy simply says it must be signed "before entering the anatomy laboratory", which gives us of time to verify that we're good during orientation.

Hi all,
I was wondering if note packets are given to us in class or if they have to be purchased beforehand?
Also, can any current students please comment on whether we should purchase textbooks now? Would really appreciate your input - thanks!