Midwestern University Chicago (CCOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I have been checking my portal everyday to make sure I paid my deposit even though I did the first day I was accepted haha! Although I am actually panicking about my immunizations since my college doesn't have any record of my MMR :uhno:
I'm still working through titers. I'm surprised we still have to get titers drawn for everything, even if we have our immunization records. You'd think one or the other would be enough. Unless I'm misreading something.

Members don't see this ad.

Is your pediatrician still practicing? I went to my old pediatrician's office and requested my immunization records and they still had them.

But I feel you guys. I check my portal almost daily to make sure everything is still marked complete. Plus I'm hoping one of these days they will post more info on orientation, what to buy, etc.

I'm not entirely sure on how to submit my immunizations. I got a copy of my form from my doctor do I just email it to the wellness center?

I'm still working through titers. I'm surprised we still have to get titers drawn for everything, even if we have our immunization records. You'd think one or the other would be enough. Unless I'm misreading something.
Titers are to check that you have immunity. I ran into this when I had my titers drawn and my MMR only had one of the three with a titer that would qualify as immune with one being equivocal and one being below threshold. If this happens to you, all you need is a booster then re-draw the titers to check and it's all good.

Members don't see this ad :)
Dumb question. If my stats are on the low side but I have a LOR from a physician that went to CCOM, would I be fine??

Dumb question. If my stats are on the low side but I have a LOR from a physician that went to CCOM, would I be fine??
This is very difficult to answer without seeing your entire app. Lower stats can be overcome with really good letters, experience, personal statement, and interview. I don't think schools place too much extra weight on letters from alumni.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm not entirely sure on how to submit my immunizations. I got a copy of my form from my doctor do I just email it to the wellness center?

Did your doctor fill out the forms provided on the portal? If so you will need to email them along with the results of your quantitative titers (with reference ranges) to the wellness center. The paperwork says to send it as a PDF so I had to use a program online to convert my documents to PDF form.

This is very difficult to answer without seeing your entire app. Lower stats can be overcome with really good letters, experience, personal statement, and interview. I don't think schools place too much extra weight on letters from alumni.
I always read that applicants with lower stats should steer away from CCOM and AZCOM, so I wasn't sure if they even look at ECs, LORs, and PS if the applicants don't meet a certain GPA and MCAT. But thanks for your reply!

I always read that applicants with lower stats should steer away from CCOM and AZCOM, so I wasn't sure if they even look at ECs, LORs, and PS if the applicants don't meet a certain GPA and MCAT. But thanks for your reply!
Yep, no problem! If it helps, I think I remember reading earlier in this thread (or maybe in a previous year) that someone got accepted to CCOM with around a 3.1 GPA and a 506-507 MCAT, but they probably had a stellar application overall.

Yep, no problem! If it helps, I think I remember reading earlier in this thread (or maybe in a previous year) that someone got accepted to CCOM with around a 3.1 GPA and a 506-507 MCAT, but they probably had a stellar application overall.
That's great to know! I have a GPA higher than 3.25 with trending GPA so hopefully that helps!

Lots of my classmates have either a higher GPA than the average but not MCAT or vice versa. Stats aren't everything, and I believe it was my ECs that got me in instead of my low GPA/higher MCAT combo.

Lots of my classmates have either a higher GPA than the average but not MCAT or vice versa. Stats aren't everything, and I believe it was my ECs that got me in instead of my low GPA/higher MCAT combo.
Any ECs you want to share? If not, I completely understand

+1, I had a high MCAT but a below average GPA with a downward trend until grad school (which still wasn't great). I think having good ECs and an interesting track to medicine helped me out.

Members don't see this ad :)
Question guys, For the MWU financial aid application, should I just accept the max amount of loans even though I don't think I'll need all of it? I vaguely remember in undergrad being able to return the excess loan money once it is reimbursed to my account. Could I just do the same?? Thanks!

Question guys, For the MWU financial aid application, should I just accept the max amount of loans even though I don't think I'll need all of it? I vaguely remember in undergrad being able to return the excess loan money once it is reimbursed to my account. Could I just do the same?? Thanks!

I think medical school loans accrue interest while we are in school so you really wanna try to take out the least amount that you can

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Does anybody know if the school provides Microsoft Office or antivirus software for free or at a discounted price?

Not sure how it works at midwestern but make sure to look at the interest rate. If you can get loans from the government, that's probably your best bet. Typically, they have the lowest rates. They won't give you the full 70k+ but try to get as many loans as you can with the lowest interest rate.

Hi all, sorry to keep bringing up immunizations, but I'm confused about something. The explanation page says you need to provide proof of immunizations in the form of a signed statement from your physician that includes complete dates. Do I need some proof in addition to the Midwestern immunizations form where I wrote down all of my immunization dates and had my physician sign it? That's kind of what it sounds like, but that seems redundant.

My primary care physician is through my current company, and their system makes it very hard to actually talk to my physician. When I ask about copies of records, they just tell me to print stuff from my online portal, which is not even close to an official record. This is like pulling teeth.

Hi all, sorry to keep bringing up immunizations, but I'm confused about something. The explanation page says you need to provide proof of immunizations in the form of a signed statement from your physician that includes complete dates. Do I need some proof in addition to the Midwestern immunizations form where I wrote down all of my immunization dates and had my physician sign it? That's kind of what it sounds like, but that seems redundant.

My primary care physician is through my current company, and their system makes it very hard to actually talk to my physician. When I ask about copies of records, they just tell me to print stuff from my online portal, which is not even close to an official record. This is like pulling teeth.

They need the actual lab report of your titer results with reference ranges. That's all I sent in along with the MWU immunization and health status forms and am marked complete on the portal.

how are you accepted students going about housing options for next year?

Withdrew my spot here, I hope it goes to one of you! Best wishes!

Reactions: 2 users
how are you accepted students going about housing options for next year?
Some people are posting in the Facebook group looking for roommates. I wanted a one bedroom, so I searched mostly on Apartments.com and focused mostly on the apartments people have recommended earlier in the thread. International Village, Bristol Club, City View, Versailles, and Yorktown are all places that were named by current/former students.

Some people are posting in the Facebook group looking for roommates. I wanted a one bedroom, so I searched mostly on Apartments.com and focused mostly on the apartments people have recommended earlier in the thread. International Village, Bristol Club, City View, Versailles, and Yorktown are all places that were named by current/former students.
thank you so much for the reply, its really appreciated! do you or someone mind posting the link for the FB group?

does anyone know if there is a summer reading list? (or a list of what kind of medical equipment to purchase?)

Does anybody know if the school provides Microsoft Office or antivirus software for free or at a discounted price?
They provide Microsoft Office free for the 4 years you are enrolled.

does anyone know if there is a summer reading list? (or a list of what kind of medical equipment to purchase?)
They will send you an email with equipment info

Last edited:

You can take out max then cut them a check and take it to the cashier/registrar to return whatever you dont need

Sorry to be lame but what do students, current and future, think about getting a Midwestern meal plan?

Reactions: 1 users
Hey guys! I am on the waitlist and MWU is my top choice. Just asking those who were accepted off wait list if they had any additional advice on what to do. So far I have sent in a letter of intent, an updated CV, an updated class I took, and information on my research. Is there anything else that may help? Should I continue to call the admissions counselor that has been assigned to me? I noticed that last year someone was accepted as late as July 20th. Thanks!

Are you sure? They specifically told us that we were the very last group, and it was the last day of interviews. That's why I did not expect much and was not very nervous on that day as a result. Yeah, I got in from the waitlist.

Yeah, @hodes and I interviewed the first two weeks of May and got accepted :) excited to meet you all!

Reactions: 1 users
I got accepted off the waitlist June 5th after interviewing on May 5th. Possibly with @broken_gymnast

Reactions: 2 users
Those of you who got off the waitlist this year - did you send many updates? I've send a letter of intent and an additional LOR but haven't heard anything. I would have to move out of state to attend the other school where I currently have a seat, so I'm getting nervous. Any tips from those of you who got off the list?

Hey guys, this is a little premature but does anyone know if there's a limit to the number of people we can bring to the white coat ceremony? I don't want to tell a bunch of people to take vacation if they can't come...

Hey guys, this is a little premature but does anyone know if there's a limit to the number of people we can bring to the white coat ceremony? I don't want to tell a bunch of people to take vacation if they can't come...
There was no limit last year.

Those of you who got off the waitlist this year - did you send many updates? I've send a letter of intent and an additional LOR but haven't heard anything. I would have to move out of state to attend the other school where I currently have a seat, so I'm getting nervous. Any tips from those of you who got off the list?
Send update letters on what you've been doing (volunteering, research, shadowing, etc. ) as well as an update reaffirming your desire to be part of the CCOM family

Hey guys! I am on the waitlist and MWU is my top choice. Just asking those who were accepted off wait list if they had any additional advice on what to do. So far I have sent in a letter of intent, an updated CV, an updated class I took, and information on my research. Is there anything else that may help? Should I continue to call the admissions counselor that has been assigned to me? I noticed that last year someone was accepted as late as July 20th. Thanks!
I got in a week before orientation, as well as three other of my classmates. Best advise I can give is to keep sending in updates. I personally sent a new update every other week detailing any medical related volunteering or just to let the AC know I was dead set on going to CCOM by talking about how I could see myself there and how I fit in.

Advice from @southflorida1107 is great advice.
I got off the waitlist around Memorial Day during my time 2 years ago.
Pretty much, I looked up admissions counselors on the website and chose one of them. Then, I decided to send all my update letters, letter of intent, letter of interest, whatever else you got to this one person. My thought process behind it is that at least one person can attest that I am consistent. I did this every other week also spacing out my stuff so I don't run out of things to update them about.
I was waitlisted around the beginning of April and got accept around May 20th when they started pulling off from the waitlist. Honestly they will keep pulling people off the waitlist until like the week before orientation so if you have not received your rejection letter, it means you are still going so keep fighting!

Just received my financial aid award letter...they gave me $10k too much so I have to decrease my loan amount..BUT I don't know whether to subtract it from the grad PLUS or the direct unsubsidized loan or subtract $5k from both. I know nothing about this!! helppp