Midwestern University Chicago (CCOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I received a secondary last week. Are they still sending out interviews? Also, for those who were invited to interview, how soon after submitting the secondary did they invite you?

To answer your first question I have no idea, but most places interview until March.

Also I was sent an II three weeks after my application was complete but it varies by person.

Since February is a weird month, do you think the committee will be meeting this Wednesday or next Wednesday? Cause next Wednesday is technically March 1st

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Since February is a weird month, do you think the committee will be meeting this Wednesday or next Wednesday? Cause next Wednesday is technically March 1st

I really really hope its this week just so we know before second deposits at other schools.

For those who have been accepted here already, when is your second deposit due by?

Does anyone know when they usually run out of interview slots?

To confirm, we do not have a second deposit. Correct?

Can a current student comment on how their schedule is around this time when starting to study for level 1/step 1? Is the work load any lighter to give students study time and is there a dedicated study period built in? Thanks!

Can a current student comment on how their schedule is around this time when starting to study for level 1/step 1? Is the work load any lighter to give students study time and is there a dedicated study period built in? Thanks!

We have a five week dedicated study period this year, following an abbreviated/lightened spring quarter. Our microbiology course just ended, which is one of our heaviest courses in second year, so spring should be a bit kinder :)

We have a five week dedicated study period this year, following an abbreviated/lightened spring quarter. Our microbiology course just ended, which is one of our heaviest courses in second year, so spring should be a bit kinder :)

Great, thanks! Best of luck to you :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone have any off campus housing suggestions? Also, I'm looking for a female roommate, if you're interested, PM me!

Does anyone have any off campus housing suggestions? Also, I'm looking for a female roommate, if you're interested, PM me!
Versailles, Yorktown, City View and Brookhill are the popular apartment complexes because they're all pretty close to campus. But, that said, they're also going to be the most expensive. I suggest looking into housing options just outside of Downers/Lombard where the money you save will be well worth the extra 5-10min drive.

I am about to withdraw my acceptance, hope one of you gets it!

Reactions: 2 users
Didn't pay the deposit, my acceptance was withdrawn
Hope one of you guys gets it

Reactions: 1 users
I just received a II from this school! Are they only interviewing for the waitlist?

I just received a II from this school! Are they only interviewing for the waitlist?

From what I've read on here, CCOM doesn't interview for the waitlist. Good luck!

Does anyone know about how many applicants are competing per seat this late in the cycle? I have an interview in March.

Accepted yesterday! :banana: Interviewed on 2/03, really wasn't expecting this because I felt like my interview was pretty mediocre.

Reactions: 7 users
I got put on the alternate list...fingers crossed!

II today (2/28), complete sometime in August. Dates were available into early April.

Reactions: 3 users
What outside resources do students find helpful to use alongside lectures here? Sketchy, pathoma, anything for practice questions, etc?

Is anyone else still waiting on an interview? :laugh:

Is anyone else still waiting on an interview? :laugh:

Yupp submitted everything by August and sent an update letter in January... I even got a letter from a faculty there and I still haven't heard anything... :( But at least my portal is still active!

What outside resources do students find helpful to use alongside lectures here? Sketchy, pathoma, anything for practice questions, etc?

People use Sketchy and Pathoma in second year (because we don't have micro/pharm/path until second year). First year I used BRS books for practice questions in various subjects. Also the Gray's anatomy review book, the green one, for more anatomy practice q's. I would hold off buying anything before you start though, since many people don't use any books, and you might find PDF versions if that's your thing.

This won't really be a real consideration until second year, and when that time comes it's the same at any medical school - First Aid, UWorld, Pathoma...I would add sketchy too. Those are pretty much unanimously used. First year youre going to have your hands full between classes, the notes, getting acclimated, and extra time with the cadavers for the first 2 quarters. As someone mentioned if you do use something else first year it's usually BRS books for their questions...Probably shouldn't say this but I know there's a 2014 UWorld torrent floating around the interwebs...those questions/explanations are pure gold. If you want to test yourself after you feel like you're done reviewing I highly recommend UWorld. I did hear throughout first year that our profs liked to use BRS questions on exams, so that's probably why everyone recommends BRS, but UWorld is your best source for questions hands down and you'll be better for it boards-wise for sure.

Silence since July... any recent II? Or am i pretty much out of luck
I had a similar experience and wondered the same thing, but was offered an II on the 28th.. Patience is difficult in this process but keep with it!

Hi everyone - this is just a reminder to accepted students that Second Look Day is coming up and you need to RSVP by Monday, March 6. This is a great opportunity to get a closer look at the school and meet others who have been accepted in your class. If you didn't get an email with a registration link, please send me a message or comment on the CCOM Class of 2021 Facebook page!

Is MWUpulse a good representation of the active groups on campus? There doesn't seem to be much on there.
What clubs are the most active groups on campus?
Are there religious groups on campus that are pretty strong?

The note packets the departments provide are sufficient enough to do well. At the end of each lecture, profs will have a few practice questions to assess what you've retained. If anything, maybe an Atlas for anatomy.

Just got an II for April 6... from previous posts it sounds like they are full, so what does the alternate list or waitlist look like??

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Just got an II for April 6... from previous posts it sounds like they are full, so what does the alternate list or waitlist look like??

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
They don't interview for the waitlist. If you've got an interview, it's for an available spot.
When it comes to the waitlist, I'm not sure what determines whether you get pulled off or not. Just keep sending in updates and if a spot opens up, you may get pulled.

Is MWUpulse a good representation of the active groups on campus? There doesn't seem to be much on there.
What clubs are the most active groups on campus?
Are there religious groups on campus that are pretty strong?

Not sure what all is listed on pulse to people who aren't a member of any clubs, so I can't say for sure if what you're seeing is a good representation or not. There are many that are quite active. I'm a member of SOMA, Emergency Medicine Club, and Internal Medicine Club which are some of the more active groups. I've gone to an intubation clinic, ultrasound clinic, and mock code through EM club. I'm sure other groups do similar things, but I just don't pay much attention. All the clubs are constantly bringing in interesting speakers for lunch talks which are the best. Free food and free knowledge. There are religious groups on campus. I'm a member of the Newman Catholic group, but not a particularly active member so I'm probably not the best resource for that. Any other religious groups I would know nothing about but I know they're there.

Last edited:
Hello, I was wondering if someone could tell me how to send or submit an update letter to this school? I mentioned earlier that I had submitted and not heard anything back yet, a member (@CoomassieBlue57) mentioned how updates are crucial to demonstrate interest. I just sent mine via email (in the body of email not a attached pdf, should it be just a pdf?) to the admission email address; is that the correct way to submit an update letter? This school actually is a dream school for me so I want to make sure I’m my letter gets to admissions so that I have the best possible chance.

Any help would be appreciated, thank you!

@CoomassieBlue57 I couldn’t submit the letter sooner due to family related financial issues, but thank you for the feedback last time.

Hello, I was wondering if someone could tell me how to send or submit an update letter to this school? I mentioned earlier that I had submitted and not heard anything back yet, a member (@CoomassieBlue57) mentioned how updates are crucial to demonstrate interest. I just sent mine via email (in the body of email not a attached pdf, should it be just a pdf?) to the admission email address; is that the correct way to submit an update letter? This school actually is a dream school for me so I want to make sure I’m my letter gets to admissions so that I have the best possible chance.

@CoomassieBlue57 I couldn’t submit the letter sooner due to family related financial issues, but thank you for the feedback last time.
I would attach the letter as a PDF to an email and then call the admissions office one or two days later to make sure they received your letter and added it to your file. They are very friendly and helpful. Good luck!

Reactions: 2 users

PDF to the admissions email address. You can ask for a return email to confirm they received it.

Thank you @Schern4 and @CoomassieBlue57 ! I appreciate the help very much!
Hi! I'm a second year at this school. I was waitlisted back in my day. I suggest to introduce yourself to one of the admissions counselor and send that person all of your updates. Multiple reasons why you want this.
  1. It will show continuous interest, and 1 person is aware of it.
  2. You know that if they don't receive it you know who you can contact
  3. It builds relationship
I interviewed mid march, got waitlisted, and was one of the first people to get off the waitlist in May. I hope my suggestion helps.
Good luck!

Last edited:
Silence since July... any recent II? Or am i pretty much out of luck
Not out of luck. I didn't get an II until like March 10 and interviewed 2 days later. Keep sending them updates to bring their attention back to you. Good luck

I interviewed at CCOM on March 10. Can anyone tell how approximately how many available seats are left during this time of the application cycle? Thanks.

Interviewed last Friday, had a great time and I'd love to go here! The interview was very laid back and the 30 minutes flew by, I'm almost concerned that they didn't get enough to paint a clear picture of me. Did anyone else get that feeling as well? And the admissions worker said we should hear back by April 1st, is that a pretty accurate turnaround time? (~3 weeks)

@B216jt As this is a dream school of mine I would love to keep sending updates, however I've just been continuing to do the activities I've already mentioned to them, nothing new, so I'm afraid I can't keep sending updates. Would going to their campus and introducing myself to the admissions councilors help any?

@B216jt As this is a dream school of mine I would love to keep sending updates, however I've just been continuing to do the activities I've already mentioned to them, nothing new, so I'm afraid I can't keep sending updates. Would going to their campus and introducing myself to the admissions councilors help any?
I am not sure about physically going to campus. You can maybe shadow a first year amd then send another update saying you did that and loved it. Also if you send updates try and separate them 2 weeks apart so you are not running out of things to send.