Midwestern University Arizona (AZCOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
II earlier this week (got pulled off of the II waitlist)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Has anyone explored the best options to live? School housing versus findind roommates?

Any currrent students willing to talk about their experience at AZCOM?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone had a chance to guesstimate the actual loan burden at this school, especially after residency? I'm struggling with where to start the calculations.

I assume 380K total, ~180k in Direct unsubsidized and ~200k in Grad PLUS, estimating ~7%. I want a real hard look at what it will balloon to.

Has anyone had a chance to guesstimate the actual loan burden at this school, especially after residency? I'm struggling with where to start the calculations.

I assume 380K total, ~180k in Direct unsubsidized and ~200k in Grad PLUS, estimating ~7%. I want a real hard look at what it will balloon to.
This isn't exactly the answer you're looking for by a recent grad physician I work with who says he took out that much in loans says he was at 500k out of residency.

This isn't exactly the answer you're looking for by a recent grad physician I work with who says he took out that much in loans says he was at 500k out of residency.

I imagine it will be more because the interest rate is higher now than it used to be 4-8 years ago :/

Does anyone know when AZCOM starts pulling people off of the post-interview alternate list?

Reactions: 1 users
@Goro , love to hear your thoughts on AZCOM as well

Also, can current students share your thoughts on the school? do you like the curriculum? Do you think the school prepare you well? Any opportunity for early patient interaction? Do you feel the school has enough resources to support such a large class (250 students per class)? @readingrl, @dushash, @mancub, @MadisonMG, @MrEhYoung, @prowd2beloud147, @drkube, @exmoderpina
Hi there! Current MSI in AZCOM. I just wanted to say a few words about AZCOM. AZCOM is a very great school. The curriculum is amazing, and yes it is hard because this is medical school but the curriculum is very organized that everything is integrated. Every course goes along with each other and makes sense. They really alleviate the stress of medical school by organizing the curriculum in a great way. Frequent testing helps you so much with your test taking abilities ultimately for boards. First summer is off which is fantastic. Weather is great in Arizona other than the few months of the summer but pretty nice the rest of the year. AZCOM's board scores is higher than the national average. They have amazing connections with hospitals and residency programs. You are probably thinking about the tuition as you are reading this but hey if you are accepted you are one step closer to be a doctor which is a very stable career that makes you able to pay off your loans, you just gotta go through medical school. AZCOM has so many things that are advantageous that outweigh the only disadvantage which is the tuition. Faculty is amazing, they are very helpful whenever you need them. The way the curriculum is arranged, alleviates the stress of medical school. So many research opportunities as Midwestern University is a very large university for all healthcare professions. AZCOM provides all the resources you need to prepare for boards as well. It is indeed one of the top notch DO medcial schools across the U.S. My opinion, if you got accepted, don't hesitate to accept the seat and put down the deposit, thinking about the only downfall which is the tuition fees. Good luck to all those who are on the waitlist. For those who got accepted or they already put down the deposit, you won't regret it, trust me I was in your place last year. YOU WON'T REGRET IT. It is really one of the best osteopathic medical schools in the country.

Reactions: 3 users
Does anyone know when AZCOM starts pulling people off of the post-interview alternate list?
I have some colleagues and they said alternate list gets looked at after they finish the decision of the last interview round which is maybe around May, I believe assuming last interview would be like the middle of April.

Hi there! Current MSI in AZCOM. I just wanted to say a few words about AZCOM. AZCOM is a very great school. The curriculum is amazing, and yes it is hard because this is medical school but the curriculum is very organized that everything is integrated. Every course goes along with each other and makes sense. They really alleviate the stress of medical school by organizing the curriculum in a great way. Frequent testing helps you so much with your test taking abilities ultimately for boards. First summer is off which is fantastic. Weather is great in Arizona other than the few months of the summer but pretty nice the rest of the year. AZCOM's board scores is higher than the national average. They have amazing connections with hospitals and residency programs. You are probably thinking about the tuition as you are reading this but hey if you are accepted you are one step closer to be a doctor which is a very stable career that makes you able to pay off your loans, you just gotta go through medical school. AZCOM has so many things that are advantageous that outweigh the only disadvantage which is the tuition. Faculty is amazing, they are very helpful whenever you need them. The way the curriculum is arranged, alleviates the stress of medical school. So many research opportunities as Midwestern University is a very large university for all healthcare professions. AZCOM provides all the resources you need to prepare for boards as well. It is indeed one of the top notch DO medcial schools across the U.S. My opinion, if you got accepted, don't hesitate to accept the seat and put down the deposit, thinking about the only downfall which is the tuition fees. Good luck to all those who are on the waitlist. For those who got accepted or they already put down the deposit, you won't regret it, trust me I was in your place last year. YOU WON'T REGRET IT. It is really one of the best osteopathic medical schools in the country.

Thanks so much for the response. I appreciate it. It is wonderful to hear such positive feedbacks. I was getting worried since there was not much response to my questions since I posted (I interpreted that folks don't have anything good to say about this school, and hence the lack of response).

Do you have/know that past match list? I am interested in surgery and not interested in primary care or family medicine. Do you know if it is doable at AZCOM? Do they have a good history of marching students into surgery or non-primary care fields?

Reactions: 1 user
Withdrawing my acceptance here! Sad to give it up and my two clinical years in LA but I would rather pay half the tuition and stay local! Good luck to everyone

Been on Pre-II Hold since 7/30.
anyone else in the same boat, or is all hope lost for me lol

Just got put on the II waitlist. Don't know the chances of receiving an interview at this point but not all hope is lost!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks so much for the response. I appreciate it. It is wonderful to hear such positive feedbacks. I was getting worried since there was not much response to my questions since I posted (I interpreted that folks don't have anything good to say about this school, and hence the lack of response).

Do you have/know that past match list? I am interested in surgery and not interested in primary care or family medicine. Do you know if it is doable at AZCOM? Do they have a good history of marching students into surgery or non-primary care fields?
Yes surgery is very possible with AZCOM. I myself am interested in surgery and there are a lot of resources to match into surgery. AZCOM provides you with everything you need to know to match you into competitive surgeries. I also know a lot of student doctors who matched into surgery residencies from AZCOM. They are associated with great surgery residency programs.

No no it is not that people don't give good feedback on here, it is just because MSIs are all busy with medical school. SDN just crossed my mind the other day that is why I decided to get on here and respond. But AZCOM is really one of the best medical schools for DO across the country. I really was hesitated with other medical schools as well but I have talked to upperclassmen and that made me choose AZCOM with its only disadvantage which is the high tuition but this is outweighed by a lot of advantages, great resources for boards, above the national average board scores, great weather throughout the year in Arizona, AMAZING curriculum that is very coordinated together because every course goes along with the other courses, it is great.

Don't pay attention to the high tuition, other schools have lower tuition but they don't have important things like AZCOM has them. :)

Interviewed 2/24. Got the call today.

Honestly, I wouldn't think too much about past match list as it's not a perfect or even great predictor for future performances. You can get matched into gen surgery within any school you go to as long as you work hard.

Guys! Whoever is on pre II, there is someone I know who just got an interview with a lower than 490 MCAT without adequate clinical experience and all he did is that he reached out one of the deans Drs. Kemper or Speicher. Please reach out to them, they can review your applications even if your MCAT is lower than 500, please reach out to them and you can surface that guy who just got an interview with lower than 490 MCAT. I don't want to mention the name of course. But a lot of the people who are on the pre II interview wait list deserve the interview spot. All he did is reach out to the deans that is it. I'm just saying this because I saw a lot of people on the thread with a good MCAT but just didn't meet the cutoff for AZCOM so I'm just saying you can email them and bring up that person. This person is a traditional student not extraordinary, not enough clinical experience and no "life experience" story. It is just fair to the people who are on the pre II waitlist. Just show them in the email how you are passionate about medicine and take an appointment if you need to.

Guys! Whoever is on pre II, there is someone I know who just got an interview with a lower than 490 MCAT without adequate clinical experience and all he did is that he reached out one of the deans Drs. Kemper or Speicher. Please reach out to them, they can review your applications even if your MCAT is lower than 500, please reach out to them and you can surface that guy who just got an interview with lower than 490 MCAT. I don't want to mention the name of course. But a lot of the people who are on the pre II interview wait list deserve the interview spot. All he did is reach out to the deans that is it. I'm just saying this because I saw a lot of people on the thread with a good MCAT but just didn't meet the cutoff for AZCOM so I'm just saying you can email them and bring up that person. This person is a traditional student not extraordinary, not enough clinical experience and no "life experience" story. It is just fair to the people who are on the pre II waitlist. Just show them in the email how you are passionate about medicine and take an appointment if you need to.

Solid first post.

I really don't know if mentioning another hypothetical applicant is good advice

Also, can current students share your thoughts on the school? do you like the curriculum? Do you think the school prepare you well? Any opportunity for early patient interaction? Do you feel the school has enough resources to support such a large class (250 students per class)? @readingrl, @dushash, @mancub, @MadisonMG, @MrEhYoung, @prowd2beloud147, @drkube, @exmoderpina

Sorry I don't get on here much at all, medforlife2020 is right we are busy. You could say my opinion is a little different and that maybe I'm a bit of a realist. AZCOM is a great school and I'm happy to be here but I also believe I could have been just as successful elsewhere. When I was applying I wish I had spent more time considered the testing schedule, the tuition, and the grading policy. I don't necessarily think I would have changed schools but maybe I would have been a little more prepared.

Your questions:
Patient interaction opportunities are out there if you work for them your first two years but there aren't a ton built into the curriculum. Some schools I was considering when applying had more patient experiences early on. The curriculum is basic didactic. Looking back I think I would have loved a systems based approach but the set up at AZCOM does just fine. The school manages 250 students surprisingly well. I've never felt that I didn't receive the support I needed.

Things I wish I had considered:
We have tests everyweek. And from spring quarter first year to the end of second year you will have multiple tests a week. Basically it's the equivalent of having an undergrad midterm/final every Monday. There are other schools that don't have as many tests. You need to consider if that style works for you.

AZCOM still does grades and some schools are pass/fail. Grades don't mean much to residency directors unless you fail a class (look up the residency director survey), but for me it's hard to not study for that A if I'm being graded. This combined with tests every week could drive you nuts if you let it.

Lastly the tuition. It is really high. Is it worth it? Well AZCOM is getting me where I want to go so I'm fine with it. I have friends at other schools paying less and they seem just as happy as I am. You need to be aware that the amount you are paying in tuition will have a major impact on your final debt balance once you are out of residency. Make sure you are okay with the tuition.

Now one huge benefit of AZCOM is the faculty. I have yet to meet a professor that wasn't willing to help students. A little bit of effort on your part and you can find any research opportunity you are looking for either bench or clinical. I don't know of anyone who wanted research but didn't find it. The faculty truly are the best.

Can you match into surgery or any other competitive specialty? Of course. Kids do it every year. AZCOM matches optho, derm, ortho, surgery. Yet you also need to realize that last year only 9 kids matched into general surgery out of 250. Some of the kids who matched into those specialties knew from day one and went above and beyond. On average over 50% of our class will go into primary care. Most MD/DO match lists are published online, do some comparisons if you are really concerned.

Choosing AZCOM over some other top DO school won't be the biggest deciding factor in what specialty you get. Your CV, LOR, and board scores decide that. Pick AZCOM if you like it here.

All in all I love my education and AZCOM is a good school. If you put in the effort you'll do well here. Yeah I wish the class was smaller and my tuition was cheaper but there are always trade offs.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users

Who did he email? Did he include updates or just show interest in the school?

I know people who this worked for. Make an appointment with one of the deans and if you impress them they may give you an interview. I'm not sure about doing it all over email but I know it works if you set up an appointment in person. It's a lot of effort if you're out of state but if it's the difference between getting in and waiting another year it's worth it. Ask them about how you can improve your application to become a more competitive applicant for AZCOM, worst case scenario you are on good standing for next cycle.

Who did he email? Did he include updates or just show interest in the school?

He emailed and talked to Dr. Mark Speicher and Dr. Lori Kemper. Usually when you talk to Dr. Speicher, he makes you to talk to Dr. Kemper. Guys! I'm telling you it is worth it and this person who just got an II with an MCAT lower 490 is REAL. He isn't just a person I made up. He is a real person. It is actually kinda unfair that someone like that not with a lot of clinical experience at all and he gets an interview invite with this very low MCAT. It is really crazy. It is not just an imaginary person I made up, he is real. You can bring that up to whoever you talk to either Dr. Kemper or Dr. Speicher, you won't be losing anything if you told them that. This is a fact, it is not something you made up. You can even say, you just heard from resources and not say "oh you gave this guy an interview" you can just say like "I heard you this guy with lower than 490 MCAT and minimal clinical experience got offered an interview." I really honestly just think it is unfair that's all, what would be my benefit of saying that to you guys? I really just think it is simply so unfair for the people who are on pre II with a great MCAT that just didn't make that cutoff with great experience and all of that. This guy was so far from the cutoff. I really don't want to mention his name but he is a real person. It is really worth it so you don't wait another year.

I know people who this worked for. Make an appointment with one of the deans and if you impress them they may give you an interview. I'm not sure about doing it all over email but I know it works if you set up an appointment in person. It's a lot of effort if you're out of state but if it's the difference between getting in and waiting another year it's worth it. Ask them about how you can improve your application to become a more competitive applicant for AZCOM, worst case scenario you are on good standing for next cycle.
I second that, mancub. I think reaching out before the cycle ends is crucial. I know some people who did this and they ended up in the class. People reached out from the MA program with low MCATs or without the MA program which is the masters program Midwestern has. I think giving it a shot is really worth it like student doctor mancub said lol. Especially that there are people who are getting interview invites with low MCATs.

He emailed and talked to Dr. Mark Speicher and Dr. Lori Kemper. Usually when you talk to Dr. Speicher, he makes you to talk to Dr. Kemper. Guys! I'm telling you it is worth it and this person who just got an II with an MCAT lower 490 is REAL. He isn't just a person I made up. He is a real person. It is actually kinda unfair that someone like that not with a lot of clinical experience at all and he gets an interview invite with this very low MCAT. It is really crazy. It is not just an imaginary person I made up, he is real. You can bring that up to whoever you talk to either Dr. Kemper or Dr. Speicher, you won't be losing anything if you told them that. This is a fact, it is not something you made up. You can even say, you just heard from resources and not say "oh you gave this guy an interview" you can just say like "I heard you this guy with lower than 490 MCAT and minimal clinical experience got offered an interview." I really honestly just think it is unfair that's all, what would be my benefit of saying that to you guys? I really just think it is simply so unfair for the people who are on pre II with a great MCAT that just didn't make that cutoff with great experience and all of that. This guy was so far from the cutoff. I really don't want to mention his name but he is a real person. It is really worth it so you don't wait another year.

I would definitely avoid bringing up another student. That seems like a horrible plan. Instead still make the effort to reach out and discuss your interest in AZCOM and what you can do to improve. Odds are it will turn into a mini interview. A good mini interview leads to a real II. Don't go in whining about how another student got an interview and you want the same thing.

Alright I've had my sdn fix for awhile.

Cheers, see ya'll in the fall!

I would definitely avoid bringing up another student. That seems like a horrible plan. Instead still make the effort to reach out and discuss your interest in AZCOM and what you can do to improve. Odds are it will turn into a mini interview. A good mini interview leads to a real II. Don't go in whining about how another student got an interview and you want the same thing.

Alright I've had my sdn fix for awhile.

Cheers, see ya'll in the fall!
Agreed. I honestly think this strategy could result in a rejection with possible consequences for future cycles. I obviously cannot speak for the Dean or admissions committee, but I suspect attempts to "go around" the normal admissions process could be looked upon very unfavorably.

My portal updated with the pre-reqs and missing bachelor degree in the Applicant Checklist--so looks like I was waitlisted. Bummer.
Interviewed 3/6.

My portal updated with the pre-reqs and missing bachelor degree in the Applicant Checklist--so looks like I was waitlisted. Bummer.
Interviewed 3/6.
I got the same. How do you know it's a waitlist?

Interviewed 3/6.
Aha! I was wondering why my accepted status wasn't updating!... :(

Do you have the matriculation agreement available to you?
Nope. I was hoping that it just meant I caught them in the process of before that was added. Does anyone know if they end up accepting a good number of students off the waitlist?

My portal updated post-interview with my completed pre-reqs AND completed bachelor's degree on the applicant checklist, but the accepted checklist is still blank... Does anyone know if this is also a waitlist like those whose portal updated with completed pre-reqs but missing bachelor's degree?

Last edited:
My portal updated post-interview with my completed pre-reqs AND completed bachelor's degree on the applicant checklist, but the accepted checklist is still blank... Does anyone know if this is also a waitlist like those whose portal updated with completed pre-reqs but missing bachelor's degree?

Have you already completed your bachelor's ?

MSI here. I haven't been on SDN because we've been so busy, but I wanted to chime in too. I love AZCOM. It's an amazing school, great facilities, and wonderful faculty. This is a very family friendly school, which makes it nice for my wife and kids. One of the things that I like most about the school is the support the Midwestern community is.

Like mentioned before, tuition is pretty much the only con I could ever find ... so I ended up doing the HPSP scholarship (if any of you are considering it and have questions you can PM me). Are there a lot of tests? You bet. But this is medical school... if you are looking for the easy road then you are in the wrong place. I am very happy about my choice and I still am loving life (which means a lot when considering what we are going through spring quarter.. :) I picked AZCOM over other schools and have never regretted it for a second. The specific medical school doesn't determine where you will match, but finding the right fit for you will facilitate success. PM me with any questions.

Interviewed 3/6.

Also interviewed on 3/6 and the portal just updated with that missing bachelor's nonsense. Such a shame, I really liked the school.

Also interviewed on 3/6 and the portal just updated with that missing bachelor's nonsense. Such a shame, I really liked the school.

Missing bachelors doesn't always mean alternate list. If the accepted student checklist shows then I'm pretty sure you're accepted. I had both the checklist and missing bachelors when I was accepted. The missing bachelors is just because the school system has to link up with AACOMAS again to process your degree.

Yes I have.
I agree with @auuuz , I have a missing bachelors and am accepted, paid the acceptance fee and all. I emailed admissions about the degree, they said it is because they need you to send in official transcripts to the school and they can't put in the bachelors until they have the transcripts form you.

I agree with @auuuz , I have a missing bachelors and am accepted, paid the acceptance fee and all. I emailed admissions about the degree, they said it is because they need you to send in official transcripts to the school and they can't put in the bachelors until they have the transcripts form you.

Well, I was assuming the accepted checklist was absent. But then again this is going off of old threads. Does anyone know if they contact you if you are put on the alternate list?

Well, I was assuming the accepted checklist was absent. But then again this is going off of old threads. Does anyone know if they contact you if you are put on the alternate list?

You will not get an email or anything, but I believe you will get a letter in the mail in a week or so saying you were placed on the alternate list.

You will not get an email or anything, but I believe you will get a letter in the mail in a week or so saying you were placed on the alternate list.

Yep. I was placed on the alternate list around 5 days after the interview. I didn't get any email and I only knew about it from the mail that arrived 2 weeks after.

Same here in alternate list. Any idea how many alternate listers got in last year

Hahaha how many of you filled in the expected loan amount in the Federal Loan Education thing and was told we will need a suggested income of $660,644 due to the debt burden (est. 380k)? Absolutely ridiculous. Doesn't even take into consideration the years of residency.

I never received a call. Interviewed 2/24. My portal shows my pre-requisite coursework and a completed bachelors. Can't remember what it looked like before. So does that mean I'm on wait list? Or alternate list?

And sorry if this is a dumb question, but what is the difference between a wait list and alternate list?

I never received a call. Interviewed 2/24. My portal shows my pre-requisite coursework and a completed bachelors. Can't remember what it looked like before. So does that mean I'm on wait list? Or alternate list?

And sorry if this is a dumb question, but what is the difference between a wait list and alternate list?

Can you see the matriculation agreement?

Hahaha how many of you filled in the expected loan amount in the Federal Loan Education thing and was told we will need a suggested income of $660,644 due to the debt burden (est. 380k)? Absolutely ridiculous. Doesn't even take into consideration the years of residency.
Had a mini-heart attack. Thankfully there's a payment plan based on your income and mandatory forbearance for residency training