Midwestern University Arizona (AZCOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does MWU have the option to do internship rotations at other institutions? A family friend who is an osteopathic orthopod told me the best thing to do as an osteopathic medical student is do an internship rotation for whatever field you are most interested in, work your ass off for the length of the rotation, tell them you are interested in ranking them highly for a residency, and you most likely will get it if you show well during the rotation.

Members don't see this ad.

Does MWU have the option to do internship rotations at other institutions? A family friend who is an osteopathic orthopod told me the best thing to do as an osteopathic medical student is do an internship rotation for whatever field you are most interested in, work your ass off for the length of the rotation, tell them you are interested in ranking them highly for a residency, and you most likely will get it if you show well during the rotation.

Are you talking about audition rotations? Because those are commonly done at all medical schools.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
I got in without a DO letter or any DO experience on my resume. No one addressed it in the interview. I would say definitely go and don't even give that factor a second thought

Thanks all for the response. I am excited about my interview. I am able to pull that into mid Feb. keeping my fingers crossed.

Any current students here can comment about the schools? Pros and cons? Given th class size is so large (~250), do you guys have any issues getting the support needed? Does the school have enough resources (e.g., advising, tutoring) etc. to meet students need? How are rotations like since it doesn't have its ow teaching hospital?

I just had an interview at AZCOM on Jan 30th. It's a very nice place and a fresh change in environment compared to cold and wintery Canada, haha.

I also had an issue with my flight which caused me to arrive at 12 PM, in addition to other stresses. When I arrived in Phoenix I called their office and they were nice enough to still interview me and give me a private tour of the campus, which was really nice of them. In the worst case scenario, I would've been forced to interview in March, but I'm sure glad it was the best case scenario for my situation. I fumbled here and there during the interview, but I'm still glad I had it regardless.

Reactions: 1 users
1/23 here. Kept in touch with another person in my group who hasn't heard back either.
Don't know what to think. Admissions committee on break? Or are they waiting to see how many seats are available in the class?

Members don't see this ad :)
Would I be interviewing for a waitlist spot if my interview day is the first week of March? Can someone please quote me so that I get an alert? I always forget about the threads that I post :p

Would I be interviewing for a waitlist spot if my interview day is the first week of March? Can someone please quote me so that I get an alert? I always forget about the threads that I post :p

Not necessarily. They do rolling admissions and don't fill the class until early July.

Reactions: 1 user
Don't know what to think. Admissions committee on break? Or are they waiting to see how many seats are available in the class?

They don't fill the class until early July, so I would assume that there's quite a few seats left...

II this morning! I've been on the pre-II waitlist since September. Scheduled for first week of March.

3.4 cGPA, 3.18sGPA, 514 MCAT, nontrad with lots of leadership experience

Reapplicant from last cycle (never made it off the pre-II waitlist) so reading that email was awesome.

Reactions: 2 users
So I am being interviewed here soon but I have no DO LOR. Anyone know what is going to happen? Will it simply result in my rejection if I do not produce one before the committee decides on me?

So I am being interviewed here soon but I have no DO LOR. Anyone know what is going to happen? Will it simply result in my rejection if I do not produce one before the committee decides on me?
I didn't have a DO LOR either. During the interview they just asked if I knew any DOs, but it seemed to be a more casual asking than an interrogative asking. If they gave you an interview it should mean that all your application stuff was OK and they just wanted to see how you are in person.

Why would anyone go here with a 63k tuition and not to wcucom with a tuition of 39000? Just wondering

Why would anyone go here with a 63k tuition and not to wcucom with a tuition of 39000? Just wondering
If you feel comfortable with wcucom area and everything, take the cheaper tuition.

I'm actually a little more lenient towards WCU.. .they're a younger school than I had thought, so a poor boards pass rate is to be expected. But dealing with a tornado-flattened campus is a bit more problematic.

If this is a specific question about WCU, I encourage you to look up @Goro's thoughts on the matter.

I'm actually a little more lenient towards WCU.. .they're a younger school than I had thought, so a poor boards pass rate is to be expected. But dealing with a tornado-flattened campus is a bit more problematic.

Goro, what are your thoughts on AZCOM?

I didn't have a DO LOR either. During the interview they just asked if I knew any DOs, but it seemed to be a more casual asking than an interrogative asking. If they gave you an interview it should mean that all your application stuff was OK and they just wanted to see how you are in person.
This is interesting. The DO LOR is listed as a requirement. Have you received an application decision?

This is interesting. The DO LOR is listed as a requirement. Have you received an application decision?

From what I read on their admissions website, the physician letter can be DO (preferred) or MD. Are you seeing different info?

From what I read on their admissions website, the physician letter can be DO (preferred) or MD. Are you seeing different info?
I apologize, I was lumping the MD/DO letter requirement into one. Still, I have neither.

My online portal displays "No items missing" and shows a green check next to my LORs however. Quite confused, especially since my II is coming up soon.

Goro, what are your thoughts on AZCOM?

@Goro , love to hear your thoughts on AZCOM as well

Also, can current students share your thoughts on the school? do you like the curriculum? Do you think the school prepare you well? Any opportunity for early patient interaction? Do you feel the school has enough resources to support such a large class (250 students per class)? @readingrl, @dushash, @mancub, @MadisonMG, @MrEhYoung, @prowd2beloud147, @drkube, @exmoderpina

That's interesting haha. It said that DO/MD LOR is preferred, but two science letters were okay as well. At least, that's what I thought it was. If it didn't check out I doubt I would've gotten the opportunity to interview.

That's interesting haha. It said that DO/MD LOR is preferred, but two science letters were okay as well. At least, that's what I thought it was. If it didn't check out I doubt I would've gotten the opportunity to interview.

Do you know where it said that? The online version differs.

"Second letter from either a D.O. or an M.D. Letters from osteopathic physicians are strongly recommended, and letters written by immediate family members are not acceptable"

https://www.midwestern.edu/programs_and_admission/az_osteopathic_medicine.html#Admission Requirements

Do you know where it said that? The online version differs.

"Second letter from either a D.O. or an M.D. Letters from osteopathic physicians are strongly recommended, and letters written by immediate family members are not acceptable"

https://www.midwestern.edu/programs_and_admission/az_osteopathic_medicine.html#Admission Requirements

Ahh okay, so that's what it actually says. When I read it at the time of application, "strongly recommended" meant "not required", so I gave it a shot by applying with 2 science LORs.

Does anyone know if AZCOM is receptive to accepted students reaching out to schedule a second tour if they will be in the area?

Anyone know what the chances are of being accepted off of the waitlist?

ive been on the waitlist for an interview since november...

anyone know when they're interviewing until?

I was recently pulled off the waitlist and I only saw a couple dates in early March. There could be more, I'm not sure if they offer all avialable dates to each person.

The online portal will show you the next 5 or so interview dates available, but they actually interview until late April or early May (based on previous cycles).

So on SDN Interview Feedback Page, it was evenly split between 1-on-1 interview format and group interview. Same stats for open and closed file interviews. Reading the past posts on this year's thread. It seems like it would be a 3 person panel per applicant. Would it be open or closed file?

Can someone please clarify? Is it also just 1 round of interviews or several?

So on SDN Interview Feedback Page, it was evenly split between 1-on-1 interview format and group interview. Same stats for open and closed file interviews. Reading the past posts on this year's thread. It seems like it would be a 3 person panel per applicant. Would it be open or closed file?

I had a 3 on 1 interview. It was open file, I don't remember if they had my primary but they definitely had my secondary. Just one interview, not several.

I had 3 on 1, I think everyone does. They only have access to your resume and supplemental application I think.

Been on Pre-II Hold since 7/30.
anyone else in the same boat, or is all hope lost for me lol

Reactions: 4 users
I had a 3 on 1 interview. It was open file, I don't remember if they had my primary but they definitely had my secondary. Just one interview, not several.

I had 3 on 1, I think everyone does. They only have access to your resume and supplemental application I think.

OK and to follow-up: there's one 30-min open file panel interview.

Also what does one park? I also emailed them about this but they havent gotten to me yet.

Also what does one park? I also emailed them about this but they havent gotten to me yet.

Free parking in front of the school

I don't think they have your entire primary app, but they do have your personal statement! I was asked a question regarding mine in my interview. And yes, they also have your resume and secondary just to confirm haha.

@Goro , love to hear your thoughts on AZCOM as well

Also, can current students share your thoughts on the school? do you like the curriculum? Do you think the school prepare you well? Any opportunity for early patient interaction? Do you feel the school has enough resources to support such a large class (250 students per class)? @readingrl, @dushash, @mancub, @MadisonMG, @MrEhYoung, @prowd2beloud147, @drkube, @exmoderpina
Good school in a good location. Curriculum is a little trivial and standardized for medical schools, so I wouldn't worry much. Something that you should ask schools though is how much time you get off to study for step 1. Yes, you can have early patient interactions if you want; and class size doesn't impact quality of your education

Good school in a good location. Curriculum is a little trivial and standardized for medical schools, so I wouldn't worry much. Something that you should ask schools though is how much time you get off to study for step 1. Yes, you can have early patient interactions if you want; and class size doesn't impact quality of your education

Can I ask what you mean exactly by trivial?
Thanks for your insight!

Can I ask what you mean exactly by trivial?
Thanks for your insight!
Curriculum doesn't change much between schools, don't let anyone tell you differently - so knowing this, curriculum shouldn't be a factor when deciding schools. What changes is how its taught and whether or not attendance in lectures is mandatory.

Curriculum doesn't change much between schools, don't let anyone tell you differently - so knowing this, curriculum shouldn't be a factor when deciding schools. What changes is how its taught and whether or not attendance in lectures is mandatory.

Ahh sorry I thought you meant AZCOM's specific curriculum was somehow trivial - read that wrong. Yes what you're saying is definitely the standard thought I believe. Thanks!