Midwestern University Arizona (AZCOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AlteredScale

Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essay prompts when available and I will update this.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
anyone who is applying to both AZCOM and CCOM: are you using different responses to both secondaries or the same ones since they're the same?

Good luck everyone.

Reactions: 1 user
anyone who is applying to both AZCOM and CCOM: are you using different responses to both secondaries or the same ones since they're the same?
Just gunna change "CCOM'' to "AZCOM" :happy:

Reactions: 1 users
:soexcited:Got an interview invite! Eeeeek

Reactions: 5 users
Also received an interview invite, man that was crazy fast

Reactions: 4 users
When did you guys submit your secondary???

P.S Congratulations on the II!!!!!!! This is INSANELY exciting!!!!

When did you guys submit your secondary???

P.S Congratulations on the II!!!!!!! This is INSANELY exciting!!!!

Received and submitted it on Tuesday the 21st.

Members don't see this ad :)
What are your stats like? If you don't mind me asking? :)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Congrats to those who have already received IIs! That's so awesome. Good luck!!

I kept the one about why I should be admitted the same, but then I changed the other one just because the websites for the two different campuses emphasized different things as far as missions and what the schools seemed to focus on. And there were things like how Chicago's website talked about a recently revamped curriculum, but Arizona's didn't, so I talked about that in my CCOM essay, but not my AZCOM one.

Would it be weird to mention in the why AZCOM secondary that AZ's location would be desirable to me due to its dry climate? I'm a severe allergy sufferer and am on immunotherapy treatment. Idk if it's worth mentioning.

Got verified today and got a Secondary today! Does Midwestern not screen before sending II's??

Hey everyone, for those that have received interview invites please update the official interview invites thread. Thanks!

Hey everyone, I'm a current third year student at AZCOM. Let me know if you have any questions about the school. Good luck to everyone applying!

Reactions: 1 users
How is the health of the clinical sites? If I attend, I'm really interested in rotating in the west valley but am wondering how spread out those sites are.

I think I would be more qualified to answer this at around this time next year because right now I am just completing my first rotation. However as a general overview, almost all of your rotations will be "preceptor based" which vary widely in quality depending on your preceptor. They do guarantee one "ward based" IM rotation (meaning you work alongside a residency team) for everyone but after that you should expect mostly preceptor rotations including one mandatory rural rotation. This is in contrast MD schools where the standard is ward based rotations.

As far as site locations, I am rotating in the west valley but about half my rotations are in what would be considered east valley. It's not a huge problem though, for example I have rotations in Surprise (far west valley) and Mesa (far east valley). Driving between the two would only take about an hour with no traffic. If you live somewhere in the middle, you cut that time in half.

Would it be weird to mention in the why AZCOM secondary that AZ's location would be desirable to me due to its dry climate? I'm a severe allergy sufferer and am on immunotherapy treatment. Idk if it's worth mentioning.

Yes... That would be weird. Unless your ready to forgo medical school if you don't get in somewhere with a dry climate- don't put this. Focus on why azcom and why you.

I'm still waiting on them to receive all my materials to be considered "Complete". Finished my secondary about a week ago.

Did anyone get some sort of "complete and under review" email? Haven't heard anything from them since getting the receipt email.

Haha, shoot! I noticed errors on the resume I submitted. I emailed them to correct it but what silly mistakes.

Did anyone get some sort of "complete and under review" email? Haven't heard anything from them since getting the receipt email.

I didn't get a complete email either. On their application system it shows its complete though. I think I received a confirmation for the payment, though.

Does anyone have an issue where CCOM says they received MCAT scores but AZCOM says expecting?

I'm really really excited for this school. It's one of my top choices.. I hope I at least get an interview!

Edit: Aaaaand I am complete! I hope I get something!

Last edited:
Do the secondaries for both AZ and CCOM use the same portal? I just set mine up, and it shows the secondaries for both campuses.

Do the secondaries for both AZ and CCOM use the same portal? I just set mine up, and it shows the secondaries for both campuses.
Yup. The secondaries should be almost the same too.

II!!!!! Check the portal to schedule, received no notification. Dates available 26, 29,30,31AUG. 1,2SEP.
Congrats, I saw your message and checked the portal and I have one too! First of the season, so pretty pumped.

Nice job! Did you recieve an email? Still checking frequently, this school is very appealing, despite costs.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using SDN mobile

I didn't get an email. I just checked my portal based on what others were commenting.

II!!!!! Also had to check under Interview Scheduling!

I submitted on 06/25 and I received the completion e-mail on 06/30!

Do any current students have any hotel recommendations? Looks like campus is about an hour drive from the airport? Any of the hotels have a shuttle to and from PHX?

I got an II as well but my letters aren't even in yet? I am assuming they interview before receiving LoR?

Do any current students have any hotel recommendations? Looks like campus is about an hour drive from the airport? Any of the hotels have a shuttle to and from PHX?

The drury at happy valley gives discounted rates to interviewers and they shuttle to and from Midwestern. For going to/from airport/hotel you can use super shuttle. You get a discount for that as well.

The drury at happy valley gives discounted rates to interviewers and they shuttle to and from Midwestern. For going to/from airport/hotel you can use super shuttle. You get a discount for that as well.
Thank you for the info!