Midwestern - IL vs. UMSL vs. Indiana

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Optoman24

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I've been accepted to all 3 and I am having a hard time deciding between them. Mainly it is between Missouri and Midwestern. I live driving distance from Midwestern so I wouldn't even have to move, and I do have confidence in the program there. I am not worried about it's accreditation.

I loved UMSL though and can really see myself succeeding there. Their clinic experience is great due to their location. If convenience/distance wasn't an issue, it would be UMSL in a heart beat, but adding in the extra cost of living expenses, I will be left in more debt after graduation.

I was wondering if anyone could send some advice my way. Are there any reasons my future career will be somehow affected more negatively/positively depending on which school I attend? Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

UMSL would be the better school. Will it affect your future career? By name recognition alone, probably not for 70% of the jobs you'd apply I'd predict. The other 30% would probably look at how long you've been practicing and/or whether or not you did a residency.

Go where you think you'll be more comfortable. Sounds like UMSL is what you think is the better choice, just rank how much the convenience factor weighs for you in your decision making.

To me, I'd date a sexy, good-hearted woman who was into me even if it meant driving 2-3 hours. But if I had to travel over 6 hours each time and it costed me $20k, I'd probably settle for something else.

do you mind telling us your stats?
So I've been accepted to all 3 and I am having a hard time deciding between them. Mainly it is between Missouri and Midwestern. I live driving distance from Midwestern so I wouldn't even have to move, and I do have confidence in the program there. I am not worried about it's accreditation.

I loved UMSL though and can really see myself succeeding there. Their clinic experience is great due to their location. If convenience/distance wasn't an issue, it would be UMSL in a heart beat, but adding in the extra cost of living expenses, I will be left in more debt after graduation.

I was wondering if anyone could send some advice my way. Are there any reasons my future career will be somehow affected more negatively/positively depending on which school I attend? Thanks in advance!

Do you mind telling us your stats and extracurriculars?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, I have an interview at midwestern in IL and I was wondering how it was? Open or closed file? One on one or in a group? What were some of the questions they asked you?
Thanks.

Hey, I have an interview at midwestern in IL and I was wondering how it was? Open or closed file? One on one or in a group? What were some of the questions they asked you?
Thanks.

Do you mind telling us your stats and extracurriculars?

I ended up choosing Midwestern. The cost difference was just too much to ignore and I honestly couldn't decide between the two. I was very impressed with both, but also believe Midwestern will help me with connections post-grad since it is within 30 minutes of where I plan to practice.

Sorry for the late reply but my OAT was 300 AA and my post-grad GPA was around 3.5 for both Non-Science and Science. I received my B.S. in Communications and worked in that field for 2 years before deciding to pursue optometry as a career. It took me another 2.5 years to get through enough pre-reqs completed in order to apply (and I am still finishing them). I have been working at an optometry office (private) for the past 3 years, where I am in charge of 5 techs and most clinical aspects of the office as a lead technician and scribe. I've worked with a number of doctors and received LOR's from the two resident doctors of the practice I work at. Those same doctors also enrolled me into the AOA. Optical experience, a noticeable curve in grades with age, and other extracurriculars (mostly local charities and non-profits - my 3rd LOR) also helped strengthen my application. Most important though, in my opinion, was that my ambition was exemplified.